PowerDVD 8 blu ray problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-26-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I am new to the forums, and I sincerely hope that no one gets mad at me if this post is in the wrong section, but I really need someones help on this matter.

I recently secured a copy of CyberLink's PowerDVD 8 from a friend in the hopes that this would allow me to watch blu ray movies in high definition quality on my computer. here are my specs.

I7 920 @ 2.66ghz
Nvidia Geforce GTX 280
6GB ddr3 ram
1 tb something or other hardrive (seagate i think)
windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

My monitor is a 20" LG flatron W2252TQ (maximum resolution of 1680x1050), connected to my computer through a DVI cable. My secondary monitor is my 32" Sony Bravia with full 1080p capabilities, connected through a DVI to HDMI cable.

This is my problem. Whenever I start playing a blu ray movie in PowerDVD, whether it is on my primary or secondary monitor, the initial title menu is perfect quality, (1080 on my tv, and i suppose 720 on my monitor, because there are small black lines on the top and bottom). So are MOST of the initial ads for things like THX, Paramount, etc.

When the movie itself starts playing however, it seems to be downgraded to DVD quality video. The best way i can explain it is that the black lines on the top and bottom of the screen increase in size significantly and the picture becomes very grainy. I have it set to show me the information in the top right, and throughout both the menus and movie itself the video is always VC1, but the MBPS drops to around 13-16 for some movies, and others it will be at around 30.

I am not entirely sure which information is relevent to my problem, but if anyone has any advic on how i should proceed in fixing this problem, please let me know.

P.S. My video card and Monitor are both HDCP ready
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-26-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
The reason there are black lines on your monitor is because it's 16x10 and your TV is 16x9.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-26-2010, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Fair enough, but my friend brought his ps3 to my house to test the qualities of blu ray movies on there. I marked with a piece of tape where the black lines ended for the movie Terminator 2. I then put this same disc into my computer and tested it on the same tv, and the black lines are a good inch and a half higher (well, lower on the top) and, like i said before, the picture quality is grainy.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freye View Post

Fair enough, but my friend brought his ps3 to my house to test the qualities of blu ray movies on there. I marked with a piece of tape where the black lines ended for the movie Terminator 2. I then put this same disc into my computer and tested it on the same tv, and the black lines are a good inch and a half higher (well, lower on the top) and, like i said before, the picture quality is grainy.

maybe it is grainy because it is so sharp you can actually see the grain?

or it is is grainy as in lo-res and blocky?

it's possible that your monitor is not HDCP compatabile and they are forcing a downrezzing, i wouldnt thinkt that would be an issue if you hook it to the TV though (if it was the problem, AnyDVD HD should fix it, but I have feeling it is not, since it hard to image the TV is not compat, unless maybe it is some good number of years old and then again if the title and menus look sharp and the rest looks blocky, that is how copy protection often acts and maybe an old small bravia might not have had HDCP?? maybe you can do a trial of anydvd HD to see if it fixed things)
post #5 of 9 Old 01-26-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

Have you tried a better looking movie? The existing versions of Terminator 2 look pretty bad even if everything works fine...
post #6 of 9 Old 01-26-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

i have tried Batman begins, which looks SPECTACULAR on the ps3, but through my computer it looks just like a dvd: grainy with big black lines on top and bottom, even on the EXACT SAME TELEVISION as the ps3 was hooked up to
post #7 of 9 Old 01-27-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, now im really frustrated.

I tried shawn of the dead on both PowerDVD 9 and the WinDVD 10 trial, and the SAME THING, ITS SO STRANGE!!! In windvd, i notice that the small black lines on the very top and bottom of the screen are perfectly black, and those are the only visible lines during the Menu screen as well as the HOW TO section of the disc. but even on the menu screen, the movie that plays in the background has EXTRA black lines added to the top and bottom, as if it was a damned DVD! and obviously, the same thing happens with the movie.

Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to fix this because I know its possible for the whole movie to play in high def if sections of the disc play in high def! IT HAS TO BE!
post #8 of 9 Old 01-27-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

maybe it is grainy because it is so sharp you can actually see the grain?

or it is is grainy as in lo-res and blocky?

it's possible that your monitor is not HDCP compatabile and they are forcing a downrezzing, i wouldnt thinkt that would be an issue if you hook it to the TV though (if it was the problem, AnyDVD HD should fix it, but I have feeling it is not, since it hard to image the TV is not compat, unless maybe it is some good number of years old and then again if the title and menus look sharp and the rest looks blocky, that is how copy protection often acts and maybe an old small bravia might not have had HDCP?? maybe you can do a trial of anydvd HD to see if it fixed things)

Very sorry for the triple post,

but I ran the Cyberlink HDCP test program (I forget exactly what it is called), and it gave me a green light on EVERY SINGLE COMPONENET that needs to be HDCP. So there is nothing in my entire setup that is not HDCP.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-27-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Very sorry for the triple post,

but I ran the Cyberlink HDCP test program (I forget exactly what it is called), and it gave me a green light on EVERY SINGLE COMPONENET that needs to be HDCP. So there is nothing in my entire setup that is not HDCP.

Its called cyberlink BD advisory
the min that you need dualcore 3.0ghz with 2gb and good basic graphic card
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page