LOST - The Complete Collection (36-disc set) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Now available for pre-order on Amazon.com for 30% off MSRP ($196 down from $279)!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...EH3WK/110bb-20

Here are the details:

# Actors: Matthew Fox, Evangeline Lilly, Naveen Andrews, Henry Ian Cusick, Josh Holloway
# Format: Box set, Subtitled, Widescreen
# Language: English
# Subtitles: French, Spanish
# Studio: ABC Studios
# DVD Release Date: August 24, 2010
# Run Time: 5074 minutes
# Average Customer Review: No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
# ASIN: B0036EH3WK

Anyone have any more details or info on this set? Is it the regular season boxsets repackaged or is there additional material\\features added to the previous seasons' disc to tie the mysteries and arcs together (such as a "pop-up" reference mode or something).

This is what I've been waiting years and passed on countless sales for.. I cant wait!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Some related links:

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Lost_S..._Revealed/6267

In addition to Lost: Season Six heading to home video, ABC has bundled together all six seasons of Lost in The Complete Collection set that will also be available August 24. Both editions of this set will include a dedicated disc to over two hours of all-new exclusive bonus features not available anywhere else. So if you have been collecting season sets on either format up to this point and want the full Lost experience, you had best dump those sets now and set your sights on the mega box set.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...is_August/4154

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/13279
post #3 of 38 Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Both editions of this set will include a dedicated disc to over two hours of all-new exclusive bonus features not available anywhere else. So if you have been collecting season sets on either format up to this point and want the full Lost experience, you had best dump those sets now and set your sights on the mega box set.

Oh, sure, I'll just sell of the five seasons I already own on BD and buy the whole lot again for $200 so I have two more hours of bonus features, none of which tell me anything new. No, I'll just be picking up S6 by itself, thanks.

I do like that they're releasing S6 earlier than the others.. the last couple have been released much later in the year.. nice to not have to wait so long.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #4 of 38 Old 02-01-2010, 07:50 PM

Liked: 10
and this is exactly why i hadn't bought the seasons separately.
post #5 of 38 Old 02-01-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Got seasons 1-5 for $108 dlvd on Amazon. I'll pass on this thing. Probably get season six when it goes on sale for $30 or less.

Blu-ray = 775
post #6 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Depending on the packaging I might resale my seasons 1-5. Fingers crossed for super cool packaging - Dharma lock box, emergency kit, super duper box that that dude next to the hour glass creates...maybe, a frkkin toy log cabin, a plane that splits into six sections for each season.

So amped, my head is about explode. Don't BSG(It was fantastic, but left my head scratchin in a bad way) me Lost.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #7 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I would need very specific details on that bonus disc before making a decision about selling the first five season sets.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #8 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Fingers crossed for super cool packaging - Dharma lock box, emergency kit, super duper box that that dude next to the hour glass creates...maybe, a frkkin toy log cabin, a plane that splits into six sections for each season.

Oh please no, I've had it with the rubbish packaging.
post #9 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylisJayP View Post

Got seasons 1-5 for $108 dlvd on Amazon. I'll pass on this thing. Probably get season six when it goes on sale for $30 or less.

+1 except will buy at $40 or less (maybe $45)
post #10 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Good news for those standing by their Amazon DOTD seasons 1-5 sets:

A small consolation promotion is being offered between August 24 and September 30. If you purchase Lost: Season Six and any prior season between those dates, you will save $20 on DVD or $25 on Blu-ray.

Well, I'm hoping that this set is much more than just the plain season boxsets in a container box with 1 extra bonus disc.. I think that if that truly is ALL that it is, you guys are right to just keep your seasons 1-5 and buy 6 standalone. Otherwise, there is clearly no other alternative than to sell your season 1-5 and buy this

They said season 6 will be a 5-disc set so do all the other seasons discs plus the 5 from season 6 total 35? If so, that's a big step towards our answer..
post #11 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm just hoping that bonus disc just has the stuff from the Best Buy exclusive bonus discs....
post #12 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by paku View Post

Oh please no, I've had it with the rubbish packaging.

+1

I hate obnoxious packaging. I want something that fits in nicely with the rest of my BDs on the shelf and not something I have to tear out a wall in my house to accomodate.
post #13 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
only two hours of extra stuff on Blu-ray disk? what a waste of space if you ask me. Even DVD can squeeze more minutes for extras. Some kind of Boxset will come out eventually after that.

PSN: GeminiEffect
post #14 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

+1

I hate obnoxious packaging. I want something that fits in nicely with the rest of my BDs on the shelf and not something I have to tear out a wall in my house to accomodate.

+1 again

HATE custom boxes... just give me standard Blu-ray cases. And no digipacks either (damnit BSG)!
post #15 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

I think this is a custom container box with standard season boxes inside. I hope Im wrong. For LOST and only LOST I would love super, non-standard custom cases.
post #16 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Depending on how it's packaged, I'll likely buy this set and Season 6 as a standalone to go with the other 5 Seasons I have.
post #17 of 38 Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Well, it's nice to see Universal is doing the right thing re: their BATTLESTAR GALACTICA complete series reissue -- they're offering the people who bought it the new packaging free with proof of purchase -- so let's hope Buena Vista can follow suit.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post18052729

Let's hope BV also makes a decent episode guide for the series box, seeing as how we haven't gotten one since... ever (on Blu Ray). The guides I made for S1 & 2 were based off the DVD sets, but Blu has yet to get a real one.
post #18 of 38 Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh, sure, I'll just sell of the five seasons I already own on BD and buy the whole lot again for $200 so I have two more hours of bonus features, none of which tell me anything new. No, I'll just be picking up S6 by itself, thanks.

Sounds like a plan to me! A thought to consider.. you can trade-in your previous season Blu-rays to Amazon and get a credit for $45 (for 1-4, they dont have a value listed for season 5 yet) and apply that towards the purchase of this set. I'm sure you could also sell them now on craigslist or ebay for about the same (maybe more), or trade them in for cash at a local used movie place (Movie Trading Company, etc).

Here is the Amazon trade in link for LOST:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/s/re...-keywords=LOST
post #19 of 38 Old 02-06-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

haha, exactly man
they've got be kidding us!

i guess they believe there is a sucker born every minute

although i guess maybe there are or they wouldn't do that **** and they'd just stick the same bonus discs in the final S6 box and not try to make it exclusive to a new packaging set.

anyway they sure are not suckering me, hell no
post #20 of 38 Old 02-06-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

Sounds like a plan to me! A thought to consider.. you can trade-in your previous season Blu-rays to Amazon and get a credit for $45 (for 1-4, they dont have a value listed for season 5 yet) and apply that towards the purchase of this set. I'm sure you could also sell them now on craigslist or ebay for about the same (maybe more), or trade them in for cash at a local used movie place (Movie Trading Company, etc).

Here is the Amazon trade in link for LOST:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/s/re...-keywords=LOST

why in the world would amazing give you $45 for each when they are selling them for $36???

and if you actually mean trade in the 1-4 for a TOTAL of $45 who would be dumb to get so little for them? and leaves one with a massive loss on the sale and rebuy
post #21 of 38 Old 02-06-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

why in the world would amazing give you $45 for each when they are selling them for $36???

and if you actually mean trade in the 1-4 for a TOTAL of $45 who would be dumb to get so little for them? and leaves one with a massive loss on the sale and rebuy

not $45 each, click on the promo. $45 for all FOUR! pointless....

I just sold my S3 set used for $25.00 and amazon would give me $7.00....!
post #22 of 38 Old 02-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Is this region encoded.
post #23 of 38 Old 11-23-2010, 11:16 PM

Hello folks, I thought I would resurrect this thread. I have been watching every episode from the Lost Complete Collection and wanted to discuss the SQ and PQ. I'm finishing season six and I'm noticing the PQ is horrible. I see raised and inconsistent black levels, lots of noise/film grain I am not sure, and a really ugly grainy blue cast in some dark shadow areas. It's as if they had to rush out season six to blu-ray and didn't spend time on the mastering, I don't know. I think season two has the best combination of PQ and SQ (as well as story/plot). As many know season 3 was the first season of lost to make it on blu-ray. Audio was PCM 5.1 for season 3 and 4. I was disappointed that ABC kept the PCM audio for the Complete Collection, I wish they re-encoded for DTS-MA to match audio on seasons 1, 2, 5, and 6. Also seasons 1, 2, 5, and 6 have a well functioning Season Play mode that accepts multiple user names, but seasons 3 and 4 (the first two seasons released on blu-ray) have a poorly executed version of Season Play that's buggy and never works for me. Again I wish ABC re-encuded the menus and Java to upgrade the Season Play for those two seasons to match the others. I'm sure I'm not the only one who double-dipped with the Complete Collection since I already owned seasons 1,2,3,4, and 5 on blu-ray and seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. Even with these technical problems I think Lost is the best TV series ever made, and the beauty of Hawaii (and many of the cast) is a perfect match for Blu-Ray.

-Eric C
post #24 of 38 Old 11-24-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericc999 View Post

Hello folks, I thought I would resurrect this thread. I have been watching every episode from the Lost Complete Collection and wanted to discuss the SQ and PQ. I'm finishing season six and I'm noticing the PQ is horrible. I see raised and inconsistent black levels, lots of noise/film grain I am not sure, and a really ugly grainy blue cast in some dark shadow areas. It's as if they had to rush out season six to blu-ray and didn't spend time on the mastering, I don't know. I think season two has the best combination of PQ and SQ (as well as story/plot). As many know season 3 was the first season of lost to make it on blu-ray. Audio was PCM 5.1 for season 3 and 4. I was disappointed that ABC kept the PCM audio for the Complete Collection, I wish they re-encoded for DTS-MA to match audio on seasons 1, 2, 5, and 6. Also seasons 1, 2, 5, and 6 have a well functioning Season Play mode that accepts multiple user names, but seasons 3 and 4 (the first two seasons released on blu-ray) have a poorly executed version of Season Play that's buggy and never works for me. Again I wish ABC re-encuded the menus and Java to upgrade the Season Play for those two seasons to match the others. I'm sure I'm not the only one who double-dipped with the Complete Collection since I already owned seasons 1,2,3,4, and 5 on blu-ray and seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. Even with these technical problems I think Lost is the best TV series ever made, and the beauty of Hawaii (and many of the cast) is a perfect match for Blu-Ray.

-Eric C

I agree about the inconsistent black levels (particularly in S6) but I don't think S2 is best in terms of fidelity (for example, the audio in Man of Science, Man of Faith often has background distortion) and I can't say that I had any problems with Season Play in S4. I would also note that all of the seasons tend to be somewhat lacking in the LFE channel with some exceptions (such as the last episode).

Also, it wouldn't be preferable to have DTS-HD Master Audio on the previous releases because they likely wouldn't bother to re-encode the video with a higher bit-rate. There would be no real benefit (and instead maybe a decrease in quality due to jitter ) unless your setup didn't allow for PCM 5.1 playback and you had to use the "core" DTS track instead of the lossless version.
post #25 of 38 Old 11-24-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Sounds like a lot of the picture quality issues you're having are related to the actual content and not the mastering process. The picture quality didn't suffer because it was rushed to Bluray, it suffered because it was rushed to air. Things like soft focus/blurry shots, noisy/grainy shots, fluctuating black levels are often somewhat ignored when trying to meet a tight deadline. Though the black levels could have easily been fixed in the color timing process.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #26 of 38 Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM

I haven't watched S6 on Blu yet, but most of the issues described are apparent in the S4 & S5 releases as well. As mentioned, it's just a production issue rather than a mastering one. I remember watching the finale of S4 and the scene in the helicopter is all over the place in terms of grain, black levels, etc.
post #27 of 38 Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I remember these issues on the last batch of discs I got. Just can't remember what season. In particular, the black (blue) levels.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #28 of 38 Old 11-26-2010, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Giving a heads up....this is a lightning deal on amazon right now and for the next two hours. Got it on bluray for $125. That's the best I've seen.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #29 of 38 Old 11-26-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Giving a heads up....this is a lightning deal on amazon right now and for the next two hours. Got it on bluray for $125. That's the best I've seen.

EDIT: nevermind, thought I had logged out from Amazon but it appears I didn't, and you are limited to one copy for lightning deals, so it showed as claimed. Bit of a moot point by the time I update this. Sorry for the confusion.

So ignore this:

And even if you had posted at exactly 4:31am (PST), in the time it took for you to make your post, it was "100% Claimed". I snagged one the second it went green, processed my cart in about 40 seconds, and when I went back to browse for more deals, not only was it not "Waitlisted", it was all sold out.

That was a very high-demand item. Gone in 60 Seconds indeed, Mr Cage.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #30 of 38 Old 11-26-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

And even if you had posted at exactly 4:31am (PST), in the time it took for you to make your post, it was "100% Claimed". I snagged one the second it went green, processed my cart in about 40 seconds, and when I went back to browse for more deals, not only was it not "Waitlisted", it was all sold out.

That was a very high-demand item. Gone in 60 Seconds indeed, Mr Cage.

shinksma

I placed my order at around 8:20am eastern time.
Went through with no problem.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page