blu ray audio cd's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 55 Old 02-02-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have heard that audio cd's will soon be released in bluray format for lossless audio quality. Does anyone have a list or link to the recent and upcoming releases in this format?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 02-02-2010, 01:38 PM

Liked: 14
huh? CDs are already lossless.
post #3 of 55 Old 02-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

huh? CDs are already lossless.

Limited to lowly 16 bit PCM encoding and a 44.1 kHz sampling rate...

There was a reason newer, superior audio formats such as SACD and DVD-A was released.
post #4 of 55 Old 02-02-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlwl View Post

There was a reason newer, superior audio formats such as SACD and DVD-A was released.

and also a reason they flopped...
i kind of doubt you'll see major labels trying that again with blu-ray. golden eared audiophiles are a small market.
post #5 of 55 Old 02-02-2010, 04:36 PM
vld

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

and also a reason they flopped...
i kind of doubt you'll see major labels trying that again with blu-ray. golden eared audiophiles are a small market.

You can add a lot of the blame to the demise of these two formats to the nonexistent marketing of those two formats.
post #6 of 55 Old 02-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

I have heard that audio cd's will soon be released in bluray format for lossless audio quality. Does anyone have a list or link to the recent and upcoming releases in this format?

You mean BD Audio discs? Or the Blu-Spec CD? Both formats are already available.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #7 of 55 Old 02-02-2010, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

You mean BD Audio discs? Or the Blu-Spec CD? Both formats are already available.

Here is a link to another poster on the subject
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post18057600
post #8 of 55 Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vläd View Post

You can add a lot of the blame to the demise of these two formats to the nonexistent marketing of those two formats.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
post #9 of 55 Old 02-02-2010, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlwl View Post

Not to mention stereo vs. 5.1.

"Out of the mists of history, the legendary Esquilax! A horse with the head of a rabbit... and the body... of a rabbit."
post #10 of 55 Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vläd View Post

Stores have seriously cut back on shelf space for CDs. If they aren't buying CDs, why would they buy audio BDs? BD is becoming successful because movies on discs still sell. Look at DVD. No amount of marketing is going to make CD sell again, and no amount of marketing is going to make audio BDs sell.
post #11 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Please stay away from the "why did hi-rez audio (almost totally) flop" discussion. Been there, done that, many times here. If you don't have an answer either way for the OP, please don't post. Thanks.

(I said "almost totally" above because there's a fairly substantial catalog of classical SACDs)

larry
quad4.0 likes this.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #12 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 06:24 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Nine Inch Nails has a release on Blu-ray. Ghosts I-IV. The Blu-ray is recorded in 24-bit/96khz high resolution audio. It was actually released a couple of years ago.

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #13 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Please stay away from the "why did hi-rez audio (almost totally) flop" discussion. Been there, done that, many times here. If you don't have an answer either way for the OP, please don't post. Thanks.

(I said "almost totally" above because there's a fairly substantial catalog of classical SACDs)

larry

I could see audio BDs being a niche thing like SACD or DVD-Audio, that's very much possible. But that's about it.
post #14 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Offerings from 2L and AIX signal that BD audio discs are not impossible, but they will always be expensive and limited releases. Grab them when you can.
post #15 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillspace View Post

Nine Inch Nails has a release on Blu-ray. Ghosts I-IV. The Blu-ray is recorded in 24-bit/96khz high resolution audio. It was actually released a couple of years ago.

A brilliant album, sounds great on BD, although it is only in stereo and not MC. Unfortunately it was only available as part of a larger packaged set, not as a stand alone purchase. The set has long been sold out. I would love to see more hi-rez releases like this, especially in MC, and available as a stand alone purchase.
post #16 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The reason this blu ray audio format could prosper this time is that there are not competing incompatable formats, ( dvd audio and blu ray) forcing consumers to choose formats and players.

Also consumers are beginning to see a quality advantage in choosing the blu ray copy of a movie over the dvd. So why not pay a few bucks more for the blu ray of the cd title you just goota have.
post #17 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odys View Post

A brilliant album, sounds great on BD, although it is only in stereo and not MC. Unfortunately it was only available as part of a larger packaged set, not as a stand alone purchase. The set has long been sold out. I would love to see more hi-rez releases like this, especially in MC, and available as a stand alone purchase.

It is brilliant, isn't it? I bought it on pre-order back when it first came out. Just went the site and the $75 set can still be ordered (it has the Blu-ray version):

Quote:

$75 Deluxe Edition Package
Ghosts I-IV in a hardcover fabric slipcase containing: 2 audio CDs, 1 data DVD with all 36 tracks in multi-track format, and a Blu-ray disc with Ghosts I-IV in high-definition 96/24 stereo and accompanying slideshow

I'm guessing it's still available because that area of the NIN site doesn't look like its been updated for a while.

Eric

Eric

My Stuff: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 w/  Ideal-Lume Bias Lighting, Yamaha RX-V3800, Oppo BDP-103D

post #18 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
The DVD-A v SACD "format war" didn't result in the failure of either, most consumers never heard of either one.
post #19 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The fact about retail outlets carrying less CDs than they used to is evident. It also brings me to a question I had: Are there any online retailers that offer music in a 5.1 format for digital download?
post #20 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hey chill space

These titiles we are speaking of are readily available on e*ay for less.
post #21 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also consumers are beginning to see a quality advantage in choosing the blu ray copy of a movie over the dvd. So why not pay a few bucks more for the blu ray of the cd title you just goota have.

If people cared about a quality advantage in audio, they wouldn't be dropping CD for MP3s...
post #22 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

blu-ray video has 6 times as much visible resolution that's well within the ability of your eye to resolve. not hard to market that. blu-ray audio would be a tricky one.
post #23 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
BD does have an advantage that anyone who has a BD player will automatically be able to decode a BD- Audio disc. Now i'm sure we'll see some from the major labels, but I do think it will be a niche product.

One thing for sure, they will have to author the disc to be compatible without having to turn on the TV, also they will have to market it with the car audio systems from jump in order to establish that market, they will also have to add features like video and interactivity and perhaps even commentary tracks that can be mixed in the audio to expand features. Lastly it's got to have a digital copy of the file so that it can be Ipod/mp3 player compatable.
post #24 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

blu-ray video has 6 times as much visible resolution that's well within the ability of your eye to resolve. not hard to market that. blu-ray audio would be a tricky one.

not tricky to implement - the disk space that BR affords makes it easy to ship lossless audio (PCM|DTS-HDMA|TruHD), so concerts whose audio is well (re)mastered are good candidates for blu-ray

but I guess you meant: tricky to market, rather than tricky to implement?
I do agree that there is not much appetite for hi-res audio out there....
part of the problem is that unless you have a complete HDMI chain you can't try out whether lossless audio sounds better to you than lossy formats - some people don't want to leap to a new AVR

there have been a few AVS threads on concerts on blu-ray, admittedly with video included - not sure if there are any audio-only BDs
post #25 of 55 Old 02-03-2010, 09:36 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post

If people cared about a quality advantage in audio, they wouldn't be dropping CD for MP3s...

Unfortunately, that is true. I, for one, would probably buy BD Audio discs if more were available. I listen 99.9% of the time to classical music, and classical really sounds great in multi-channel lossless. I already have quite a few SACDs and DVD Audios. Fortunately, there are still SACD hybrids being released in classical.
post #26 of 55 Old 02-04-2010, 01:58 PM

+1

I'm also a classical fan and my favourite BD is mozart's magic flute - lossless sound of course

publishers like opus arte (http://www.opusarte.com) are to be congratulated on releasing on blu-ray
post #27 of 55 Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There's also the Neil Young Archives volume 1 box and the Tom Petty live anthology also on Blu ray.

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #28 of 55 Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin j View Post

There's also the Neil Young Archives volume 1 box and the Tom Petty live anthology also on Blu ray.

62 live songs on one bdcd from Tom Petty and it makes me want to find more of these discs. The resolution from a cd that has 62 live songs recorded back around 1975 and up far exceeded my expectations. Makes me wonder what a well recorded studio version would sound like. Obviously I hope the format takes off.
post #29 of 55 Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lets face the facts.. even the golden eared audiophiles would at best notice only a very subtle difference between 24/96 and 16/44.1

SD vs HD video is much less subtle... it's more comparable to stereo vs surround sound... which of course is one advantage to DVD-A, SACD, BD audio that everyone can notice but those surround mixes aren't something average joe can listen to on his ipod he actually needs his home theater to listen to it

the formats will exist but not everything will be on those formats...
post #30 of 55 Old 02-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
It depends a lot on the source. If it's Neil Young's archives, you're coming from tape and running it through an analog/digital converter. You're losing something there no matter what. Hell, even making a copy of the tape you're losing something.

If it's something modern and high budget like Nine Inch Nails, you can expect it was probably recorded & mixed in 24/96. And still you're not going to hear much difference unless your engineers are total crap. There's more headroom, more dynamic range, really subtle changes.

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page