David Lynch's 'DUNE' BD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 215 Old 04-19-2010, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This folks, appears to be the definitive BD review of Dune -- by the definitive fan of Dune....

Great review, Josh

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/269/dune.html

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 215 Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe View Post

This folks, appears to be the definitive BD review of Dune -- by the definitive fan of Dune....

Great review, Josh

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/269/dune.html

Gee, thanx Josh!
Another copy of Dune you talked me into...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #93 of 215 Old 04-19-2010, 01:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Gee, thanx Josh!
Another copy of Dune you talked me into...

Y'know, I try NOT to like it...I really do. But the art direction is superlative and more strikingly imaginative than ANYTHING found on the Sci-Fi mini-series. And I still love Kenneth McMillian's under-appreciated performance as the vile Baron Harkonnen. ("Just some spittle, on your face"), Brad Dourif's twitchy Mentat...oh, I could go on. (I still miss Freddie Jones.) I even love the ersatz biblical opening theme by Toto...which immediately expects one to brace for an awesome experience (which many people found they did not receive). Yeah, there are problems...particularly the unconvincing love story, depicted here solely with a single line: "Paul and Chani's love grew." Uh...okay, if you say so.

I certainly found this more fun to watch than the Sci-Fi channel's mini-series. What I really wish they'd do is just drop all the "thought-ballons" that are stating the obvious. Knowing his work, I'd bet Lynch wouldn't mind that at all, and would probably prefer it that way. Now THAT is a version of DUNE I'd purchase in a second! (Still have the laserdisc.)
post #94 of 215 Old 04-19-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe View Post

Great review, Josh

Glad you liked it.

FYI, I also have capsule reviews of the French and German Blu-rays (along with countless other video editions of the movie) here:

http://www.mindspring.com/~dunestuff/av.html

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #95 of 215 Old 04-19-2010, 04:44 PM

I only have 3 coppies of Dune: the original DVD release, The tin cased extended edition and the HD DVD. I am also one that has liked Dune from day one. I think I even remember it opening up on the same day with Starman. Along with Dune, I have always liked The Keep and Flash Gordon. I also have 2 coppies of The Keep: The VHS and a DVD that I picked up from the comic con, which is presented in 1:85.1.

It's funny how films like Dune, The Keep and Flash Gordon were trashed by almost everyone when originaly released... But over time they become loved by millions. Just wait a little longer, and millions of people will start to like Judge Dredd as much as me
post #96 of 215 Old 04-19-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Glad you liked it.

FYI, I also have capsule reviews of the French and German Blu-rays (along with countless other video editions of the movie) here:

http://www.mindspring.com/~dunestuff/av.html

Thanks for the review Josh, it's a great read. I'll be keeping my HD DVD.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #97 of 215 Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7zombie View Post

It's funny how films like Dune, The Keep and Flash Gordon were trashed by almost everyone when originaly released... But over time they become loved by millions.

Ahhhhh, The Keep. Here's one of Michael Mann's films that is in sore need of a Director's Cut.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #98 of 215 Old 04-19-2010, 05:51 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Just wait a little longer, and millions of people will start to like Judge Dredd as much as me

Judge Dredd, when can we expect that on blu-ray? I'll buy it if they release it.
post #99 of 215 Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHNEEDOO View Post

Judge Dredd, when can we expect that on blu-ray? I'll buy it if they release it.

I cannot believe you guys talking about such a terrible movie like Judge Dredd. What next can we talk about, Tremors?

Dune is a masterpiece. I can't wait to see some comparisons with the US Blu-ray and HD-DVD.
post #100 of 215 Old 04-19-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just wait a little longer, and millions of people will start to like Judge Dredd as much as me

I'm right there with ya. Love Judge Dredd.

post #101 of 215 Old 04-19-2010, 11:49 PM

Josh Z - have you ever watched any of the fantastic fan edits of Dune? I know you dont like the extended tv version but you should try out some of the excellent edits with the extended footage taken out of the wretched tv version and redited back into the film. I was more than pleasantly surprised watching a beautifully handled fan edit with that additional footage plus some of the deleted scenes in a new version of the movie.
post #102 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 07:28 AM

Where can I find some of the 'fan' edited Dune? I'd love to see that.
Thanks!
post #103 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

You summarized my feelings on this subject perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

Y'know, I try NOT to like it...I really do. But the art direction is superlative and more strikingly imaginative than ANYTHING found on the Sci-Fi mini-series. And I still love Kenneth McMillian's under-appreciated performance as the vile Baron Harkonnen. ("Just some spittle, on your face"), Brad Dourif's twitchy Mentat...oh, I could go on. (I still miss Freddie Jones.) I even love the ersatz biblical opening theme by Toto...which immediately expects one to brace for an awesome experience (which many people found they did not receive). Yeah, there are problems...particularly the unconvincing love story, depicted here solely with a single line: "Paul and Chani's love grew." Uh...okay, if you say so.

I certainly found this more fun to watch than the Sci-Fi channel's mini-series. What I really wish they'd do is just drop all the "thought-ballons" that are stating the obvious. Knowing his work, I'd bet Lynch wouldn't mind that at all, and would probably prefer it that way. Now THAT is a version of DUNE I'd purchase in a second! (Still have the laserdisc.)

post #104 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

I cannot believe you guys talking about such a terrible movie like Judge Dredd. What next can we talk about, Tremors?

Hey now, Tremors is well liked and you know it! :-P
post #105 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

+1

Don't hate on the graboids!

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

Best. Surge Protector. Ever.
post #106 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post

Josh Z - have you ever watched any of the fantastic fan edits of Dune? I know you dont like the extended tv version but you should try out some of the excellent edits with the extended footage taken out of the wretched tv version and redited back into the film. I was more than pleasantly surprised watching a beautifully handled fan edit with that additional footage plus some of the deleted scenes in a new version of the movie.

No, I haven't. I'm sure there are some interesting attempts. However, I think there's a limit to what any fan can do, based on the limited materials available.

By far, the two most problematic scenes in the movie are Paul & Jessica first meeting the Fremen, and the ceremony where Jessica becomes a Reverend Mother. Both scenes are basically incoherent in the movie. Even between the theatrical cut, the TV version, and the deleted scenes, there just isn't enough footage out there to make those scenes work. Unless some fan has super-secret access to the Universal vaults and Dune's original camera negative, that is.

Josh Z

post #107 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

By far, the two most problematic scenes in the movie are Paul & Jessica first meeting the Fremen, and the ceremony where Jessica becomes a Reverend Mother.

Why?

post #108 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

If I was forced to watch either my Timecop or Tremors HD-DVD at gunpoint, I would rather be shot.

Seriously. Can't handle them. I could barf out why I hate Tremors, but yea, this thread is all about DUNE baby!

Watching the movie about 6 times has forced me to read the book, and it's pretty much spot on. I'm only on page 60, and there's very little things that were changed at all. Most everything in the movie is either an expansion on the book or a summary of a certain section. Jessica is more of a bitch in the book though so far...
post #109 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Jessica is more of a bitch in the book though so far...

A hot, calculating bitch! ^_^
post #110 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

inly found this more fun to watch than the Sci-Fi channel's mini-series. What I really wish they'd do is just drop all the "thought-ballons" that are stating the obvious. Knowing his work, I'd bet Lynch wouldn't mind that at all, and would probably prefer it that way. Now THAT is a version of DUNE I'd purchase in a second! (Still have the laserdisc.)

Oh God yes!! It's the main thing about this movie that I hate. "There's something about the spice", "Is it due to the spice?" "It must be the spice" "What is it about the spice." Or... "Is he the One?" "Am I the One?" "He might be the One" "Could he be the One?'' You just want to scream "Yes, dammit...we get it! He's the One!! Now shut the frell up!!!"
post #111 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel clemons View Post

oh god yes!! It's the main thing about this movie that i hate. "there's something about the spice", "is it due to the spice?" "it must be the spice" "what is it about the spice." or... "is he the one?" "am i the one?" "he might be the one" "could he be the one?'' you just want to scream "yes, dammit...we get it! He's the one!! Now shut the frell up!!!"

+1

post #112 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Oh God yes!! It's the main thing about this movie that I hate. "There's something about the spice", "Is it due to the spice?" "It must be the spice" "What is it about the spice." Or... "Is he the One?" "Am I the One?" "He might be the One" "Could he be the One?'' You just want to scream "Yes, dammit...we get it! He's the One!! Now shut the frell up!!!"

Meh, I enjoy the thought balloons. If it wasn't for them (or the books), you would have never realized that spice was a psycho active substance (I really think it's referencing to THC, and I hope it is) or perhaps where it comes from, and what it all means. Those thought balloons should be there, because there's a LOT to the spice that the audience has no clue about, and that never really learn unless they pay attention to what the characters are actually thinking. The whole concept of Paul being "the one" also deserves some thought balloons. Lots of people are involved in it, and it's quite the big deal filled with many complexities from all parties.

If you have no clue on what I just said, just realize that they are there for complex reasons.

In other light, they are really neat because it's kinda like reading a novel and watching the movie at the same time, because when you read the book, you will see those exact thoughts and their exact arrangement as well.

I hope ya'll could understand all of that. The spice is flowing within me on this fine day, and hope ya'll are enjoying it too.

I just may have to pop on Dune on HD-DVD.
post #113 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Meh, I enjoy the thought balloons. If it wasn't for them (or the books), you would have never realized that spice was a psycho active substance (I really think it's referencing to THC, and I hope it is) or perhaps where it comes from, and what it all means. Those thought balloons should be there, because there's a LOT to the spice that the audience has no clue about, and that never really learn unless they pay attention to what the characters are actually thinking. The whole concept of Paul being "the one" also deserves some thought balloons. Lots of people are involved in it, and it's quite the big deal filled with many complexities from all parties.

If you have no clue on what I just said, just realize that they are there for complex reasons.

In other light, they are really neat because it's kinda like reading a novel and watching the movie at the same time, because when you read the book, you will see those exact thoughts and their exact arrangement as well.

Yes, but film is a visual medium. And you have an international cast of actors who can convey a lot with and without dialogue. I didn't need a "thought-balloon" to understand that Max Von Sydow "liked this Duke." The actor already sold that with his facial expression. Ditto for "He's hiding something"...These are talented actors who are able to convey these feelingss without it needing to be spelled out. Same goes for the spice being psycho-active...there were already plenty of references to it in the dialogue, from how the Guild used it, to it being responsible for turning eyes blue. All the thought balloons were over-kill. Maybe everyone might not have put it all together on first viewing, but they would have on subsequent ones. (As is the case with other works by Lynch, or even the more recent film TRIANGLE.) Perhaps a handful of "thought-ballons" would have been okay for clarification...but not throughout the entirety of the whole danged movie!
post #114 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Yes, but film is a visual medium. And you have an international cast of actors who can convey a lot with and without dialogue. I didn't need a "thought-balloon" to understand that Max Von Sydow "liked this Duke." The actor already sold that with his facial expression. Ditto for "He's hiding something"...These are talented actors who are able to convey these feelingss without it needing to be spelled out. Same goes for the spice being psycho-active...there were already plenty of references to it in the dialogue, from how the Guild used it, to it being responsible for turning eyes blue. All the thought balloons were over-kill. Maybe everyone might not have put it all together on first viewing, but they would have on subsequent ones. (As is the case with other works by Lynch, or even the more recent film TRIANGLE.) Perhaps a handful of "thought-ballons" would have been okay for clarification...but not throughout the entirety of the whole danged movie!

I understand where you are comming from, but you need to remember that ALOT of those "thought balloons" are saying what the character is thinking, which you would have never known unless you have read the book. You are bringing up some very "obvious" ones, but there are ones that just need to be there.

I think it's very unique, opens the information door much larger, and is something that should never be removed.

And I'm going to have to disagree with you on your definition of film. Film contains both visual and an auditory medium. We receive two channels of information when we watch movies-- the visual (screen) and the auditory (speakers) modality. Using both channels will actually increase the amount of information received to the user, as long as they are compatible. So, I guess I have just discussed that they way Dune is set up, is for the audience to receive much more information, which is not obvious to the viewer.

Some of it is as you've demonstrated, but you are not showing the other good half or more of the very important and unconscious ones.
post #115 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

, and the ceremony where Jessica becomes a Reverend Mother.

agreed, that scene is so jumbled the only way it would work is if there's footage lying on the cutting room floor.
post #116 of 215 Old 04-20-2010, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Everything you are saying is true.
And illustrates WHY Dune is so difficult to film (the primary reason often given is it is "so dense").
Those who have read the book understand this.

Lynch comes closest to pulling it all off.
It isn't straight Frank Herbert, but it is something very interesting.
In spite of a lack of perfection, I am willing to overlook some things that don't work for me.

I believe the best medium for tackling Dune is a TV series.

post #117 of 215 Old 04-21-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

By far, the two most problematic scenes in the movie are Paul & Jessica first meeting the Fremen, and the ceremony where Jessica becomes a Reverend Mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Why?

Because they're so condensed that they don't make any narrative sense. The Reverend Mother ritual even repeats footage of Jessica screaming to pad out the time, because there isn't enough material to cover the voiceover length.

Josh Z

post #118 of 215 Old 04-22-2010, 01:38 PM

I totally agree with most of the reviews on "DUNE".

This is the definition of a polarising movie. Some LOVE it, some LOATHE it.

It is undoubtedly very VERY flawed but something makes me keep coming back fro me. It is such a superbly visual experience that I have to watch it every few months. I can't say it's a great film, but I love it all the same (inspite of it's many flaws).

"JUDGE DREDD" on bluray! Count me in. Any excuse to see Diane Lane as Judge Hershey in her tight outfit in HD!!!
post #119 of 215 Old 04-24-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:

No, I haven't. I'm sure there are some interesting attempts. However, I think there's a limit to what any fan can do, based on the limited materials available.

Of course. The fan edits cannot perfect the flaws within the release but they can certainly improve. And there is more than just the inclusion of additional footage but also better edits, musical cues, improvements on the effects etc...

If you are a Dune fan your gonna want to take a look at these.
post #120 of 215 Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here is the latest on the Dune remake Paramount is doing:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...2.story?page=1

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page