Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 215 Old 02-03-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Available April.
So happy about this one.
And before anybody bashes it I know it's a mess, but it's a gorgeous sprawling visual feast of a mess!

Martin Farinha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 215 Old 02-03-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfarinha View Post

Available April.
So happy about this one.
And before anybody bashes it I know it's a mess, but it's a gorgeous sprawling visual feast of a mess!

It's a long shot considering this is a catalog title that was considered a flop when it was first released, but I hope both the theatrical and extended cuts are included in some fashion. The last dvd release had both versions but they were very compressed to fit each version on either side of a single flipper dvd.
post #3 of 215 Old 02-03-2010, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Back in Dec 2006, Highdef Digest gave the HDDVD 4/5 on PQ, and 3.5/5 on the DD+ track. So, we can expect at least a fairly solid video presentation and improved lossless audio. Being a big Lynch & Dune fan, I look forward to the double dip

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
post #4 of 215 Old 02-03-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
The BD has been available for import for quite awhile now.
It is region-free too.
AV quality is very good for a movie from 80's.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #5 of 215 Old 02-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

I hope both the theatrical and extended cuts are included in some fashion.

According to all the pre-release info I've read today, it will not contain the extended cut. As much as it pains me, like with WATERWOLD, no extended cut, no buy from me. The extended cut, minor editing warts aside, is a monumentally better piece of work than the grossly truncated theatrical cut.
post #6 of 215 Old 02-03-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

The BD has been available for import for quite awhile now.
It is region-free too.
AV quality is very good for a movie from 80's.

Hmm, if I recall the French BD was overly bright and washed out... compared to the HD-DVD. Hope the this BD looks like the BD (with some higher bitrates and lossless audio).
post #7 of 215 Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post

Hmm, if I recall the French BD was overly bright and washed out... compared to the HD-DVD.

Someone on another board had written that and, honestly, I have no idea what they were looking at.

Is it brighter? By comparison, yes. Washed out? Absolutely, positively not. It was much more colorful and detailed than the drab looking HD-DVD.

It'll be interesting to compare the two Blus, but I didn't think the HD-DVD compared favorably to the French BD release at all. I just don't think the movie was meant to look as dim as the HD-DVD did, and if this is sourced from the same Universal master (which it most likely will be), I'd stick with the French BD myself. They're most definitely NOT the same transfer or anything close to it.
post #8 of 215 Old 02-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post

According to all the pre-release info I've read today, it will not contain the extended cut. As much as it pains me, like with WATERWOLD, no extended cut, no buy from me. The extended cut, minor editing warts aside, is a monumentally better piece of work than the grossly truncated theatrical cut.

it would be such a shame if we only get the theatrical cut the extend was a big improvement, better hang on to my dvd
post #9 of 215 Old 02-03-2010, 11:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post

Hmm, if I recall the French BD was overly bright and washed out... compared to the HD-DVD. Hope the this BD looks like the BD (with some higher bitrates and lossless audio).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

Someone on another board had written that and, honestly, I have no idea what they were looking at.

Is it brighter? By comparison, yes. Washed out? Absolutely, positively not. It was much more colorful and detailed than the drab looking HD-DVD.

It'll be interesting to compare the two Blus, but I didn't think the HD-DVD compared favorably to the French BD release at all. I just don't think the movie was meant to look as dim as the HD-DVD did, and if this is sourced from the same Universal master (which it most likely will be), I'd stick with the French BD myself. They're most definitely NOT the same transfer or anything close to it.

I haven't seen the HD-DVD...but the French BD, all things considered, looks terrific IMO (lossless is fine too).
IIRC, Josh Zyber has said it doesn't suffer when compared to the HD-DVD.

post #10 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Wasn't the extended cut for tv?
post #11 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post

Debatable, the editing of the extended cut was horrid. The extra footage was a blessing though, especially the deleted scenes. The Third Stage Fan Edit puts all of the extended and most of the deleted scenes back into the movie with Virginia Madsen's original opening and narration, it really gives a feel for what the movie could have been. I'm just glad I may be able to finally sell my HD DVD release for the Blu-ray!
post #12 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

I would not call the French disc "washed out," but it is a little too bright and the colors are a little oversaturated. It also has an audio glitch where the line "A secret report within the Guild" comes out as, "A siscrit report within the Guild." That's an error that carried over from the French DVD.

The French Blu-ray and the Universal HD DVD each have their strengths and weaknesses, and come out about even in the end. They are both very good.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #13 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The French Blu-ray and the Universal HD DVD each have their strengths and weaknesses, and come out about even in the end. They are both very good.

I think they're quite interesting because they're so different...viewers can judge for themselves. I was hoping the US Blu Ray would have more special features on there from that "Ultimate" edition, including the TV cut, but it sadly doesn't look like it's going to happen.
post #14 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have the steelbook Dune DVD and there's some kind of extended version on that. Is that the "extended cut" being referred to here? That extended version on the DVD is not a director approved version. The director is "Alan Smithee" (pseudonym used by film directors who wish to disown a project).
post #15 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post

I have the steelbook Dune DVD and there's some kind of extended version on that. Is that the "extended cut" being referred to here? That extended version on the DVD is not a director approved version. The director is "Alan Smithee" (pseudonym used by film directors who wish to disown a project).

Lynch's feelings on the merits of the extended TV cut are also reflected by his screenwriter credit - "Judas Booth".

I figure that Paramount's upcoming remake (under the reigns of Taken director Frenchy French or something) will be the last chance for Universal to be able to justify fronting the money for Lynch to put together an extended cut. Other than that, people need to remember just how big a bomb this was 25+ years ago - studios are notoriously gunshy about throwing money into the same hole twice.

I'd dearly love to have the individual scenes as an HD extra on the BD, but that extended cut is too much of a mess to ever bother watching (and this from someone who coughed up for the Japanese Laserdisc back in the day!)
post #16 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by withnail View Post

I figure that Paramount's upcoming remake (under the reigns of Taken director Frenchy French or something) will be the last chance for Universal to be able to justify fronting the money for Lynch to put together an extended cut. Other than that, people need to remember just how big a bomb this was 25+ years ago - studios are notoriously gunshy about throwing money into the same hole twice.

Universal has approached Lynch about doing a Director's Cut on a few occasions. He turned them down. He disowned the movie and doesn't consider it his anymore. His words to them were something to the effect of, "This isn't my movie. It's your movie. You can do whatever you want with it, but I'm staying out of it."

As for the movie being a bomb, that certainly didn't stop Universal from letting Ridley Scott do a Director's Cut of Legend.

Josh Z

post #17 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Universal has approached Lynch about doing a Director's Cut on a few occasions. He turned them down. He disowned the movie and doesn't consider it his anymore. His words to them were something to the effect of, "This isn't my movie. It's your movie. You can do whatever you want with it, but I'm staying out of it."

Exactly. Lynch doesn't like to talk about Dune in interviews, but when he does, he'll only say that it was a compromised production from the outset and that he regrets making the picture. His sentiment toward the film seems to be similar to that of David Fincher's toward Alien 3. Both were wounded by their experiences on those respective films, and they'd rather not dwell on the scars.
post #18 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo View Post

the extend was a big improvement

The extended cut was an abomination. In my opinion.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #19 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

SyFy version was actually much better IMO

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #20 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post

SyFy version was actually much better IMO

Especially if you're a fan of silly hats. My personal favorite was the guy who had a giant plastic triangle stuck to the back of his head.

Josh Z

post #21 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Especially if you're a fan of silly hats. My personal favorite was the guy who had a giant plastic triangle stuck to the back of his head.

LOL!
Forgot all about that.
There were some problems with the production design....

post #22 of 215 Old 02-04-2010, 04:11 PM

At least the Sci-Fi version didn't have "weirding modules."

We have our heading. Here we gooooooo!
post #23 of 215 Old 02-05-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coati858 View Post

At least the Lynch movie didn't completely eviscerate the entire first 1/3 of the book.

Josh Z

post #24 of 215 Old 02-05-2010, 09:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

At least the Lynch movie didn't completely eviscerate the entire first 1/3 of the book.

Not to mention that Kenneth McMillian's vile, repulsive Baron is hard to top!
post #25 of 215 Old 02-05-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 51
My understanding is that David Lynch never endorsed the extended cut and even had his name removed from the credits (the director being listed as Alan Smithee). While it restores some more piece of the novel, it does make for a bloated presentation so I'm not surprised to see that we're not getting that.

Lynch's theatrical version is entertaining but it completely throws out huge chunks of the novel and nearly all the intricate backstory and political intrigue is lost. It's also just a little to gooey and gory in parts for my tastes.

For all its flaws, the SciFi Channel (I refuse to call it SyFy) version was an infinitely superior adaptation of the novel (one of the last good things that channel put out) and I'd much rather see a BluRay of that.
post #26 of 215 Old 02-05-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

For all its flaws, the SciFi Channel (I refuse to call it SyFy) version was an infinitely superior adaptation of the novel (one of the last good things that channel put out) and I'd much rather see a BluRay of that.

I've never bought into the claims that the Sci-Fi miniseries was more "faithful" to the book. As I mentioned earlier, it completely throws out the entire first 1/3 of the book. It also misinterprets almost all of the major characters. Paul is not supposed to be such a whiny, annoying, petulant brat. And that whole Princess Irulan "girl power" storyline comes from out of nowhere and has no basis in the novel whatsoever.

Say what you will about the way that Lynch condensed the story, he got all of the major characters and their motivations right.

Josh Z

post #27 of 215 Old 02-05-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh z View Post

say what you will about the way that lynch condensed the story, he got all of the major characters and their motivations right.

+1

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #28 of 215 Old 02-05-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Lionsgate announced a planned blu-ray YEARS AGO, right at the format's launch if I'm not mistaken. It would certainly be cool to see Storaro's cinematography in hi-def, but the digital effects might suffer from Firefly syndrome. Some of the sandworm shots look kinda pixelated even in standard def, so they might've only been rendered in 480.

On the differences between the French BD and US HDDVD of Lynch's film: So, is it just me, or is there a pattern of Uni having "darker" transfers of David's films while "brighter" ones come out in Europe? The beaver's screenshots of the Lost Highway discs come to mind....
post #29 of 215 Old 02-05-2010, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coati858 View Post

The "weirding modules" were an invention by Lynch.
The reason was DL didn't think audiences would buy into an advanced civilization (capable of galactic travel) thousands of years in the future would rely on hand-to-hand and stabbing weapons combat as its primarily form of warfare.
AND he was right.

post #30 of 215 Old 02-05-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:

But those are the same people who regularly cough up movies like "Aztec Alligator" and cancel "Farscape." I don't expect ANYTHING good from them.

I'd like to think David Lynch aspires to a higher standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

The "weirding modules" were an invention by Lynch.
The reason was DL didn't think audiences would buy into an advanced civilization (capable of galactic travel) thousands of years in the future would rely on hand-to-hand and stabbing weapons combat as its primarily form of warfare.
AND he was right.

Well, there's more than one thing the audience didn't buy about Lynch's Dune. **coughticketscough**

We have our heading. Here we gooooooo!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page