Nox
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

Of course no extras. They're gonna milk this for all they can. Next will be a delux box set, then wait, the 3D version.

Whoa... slow down! You're getting ahead of yourself!

You're forgetting the "special edition", "limited edition", "director's cut", and "Criterion version". The Deluxe set comes after these and before the "Ultimate edition". Of course, there's probably going to be a "Pandora edition", "Na'vi edition", "Unobtainium edition", and "I See You edition" tossed in somewhere.

3D comes later with the same editions all over again... "3D special edition", etc..

-David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Considering the 3D was so awesome, and that the story was complete crap, no way am I buying a non 3D version. I don't plan to have a 3D display for a couple of years, but still I have no desire to sit through Avatar in 2D, just not gonna happen lol.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #93 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

I personally like the sound of it, then again I've never been a special features fan anyway, wish they were all this way. Best possible PQ/AQ trumps my desire to see interviews, set design, makeup application, etc, stuff that you may watch once and never need to view again. And if I REALLY need to see it, the extra disc/dvd will suffice!

Except, 1) they're full of shite since I guarantee the movie will probably only use 35-40GB of the disc and 2)it's not going to save you any real money. It's still going to be $25, with a 2 disc special edition almost certain to come out in another 4-6 months (with the same transfer) with all of those things you don't care about for maybe $3 more. So, you'll pay $25 for a $20 movie when you could have gotten the whole deal for about half of what they'll overcharge you for on the stripped down version.

I'm thinking, if any movie warrants special features, this would be the one.

Then, of course, 3D will come out within a year after the SE version. Then we'll have the Collector's Edition with action figures, lobby cards and a little companion booklet.
post #94 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Nox
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Except, 1) they're full of shite since I guarantee the movie will probably only use 35-40GB of the disc and 2)it's not going to save you any money. It's still going to be $25, with a 2 disc special edition almost certain to come out in another 4-6 months (with the same transfer) with all of those things you don't care about for maybe $3 more.

I'm thinking, if any movie warrants special features, this would be the one.

Then, of course, 3D will come out within a year after the SE version. Then we'll have the Collector's Edition with action figures, lobby cards and a little companion booklet.

In other words: "There's more than one way to milk a cow!"

-David
post #95 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wonder how many is going to even remember this movie 10 years from now

James Cameron´s "Terminator", "T2" and "Aliens" are timeless classics that still today is as awesome as 20-25 years ago.
"Avatar" though is gonna be "cool" maybe for about 2 years and then vanish in thin air.

The movie is only worth 2 out of 5 points as it has some cool sequences.
But really, I can barely remember the movie anymore

Bad script, boring characters and action scenes that looks like a videogame.
Basically a overhyped 3D/CGI/tech demo. That´s it.

James Cameron has become the new George Lucas and I fear his future projects is going to continue this CGI f*ckfest
post #96 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post

In other words: "There's more than one way to milk a cow!"

...and all involve the handling of cow skin in the crotch region...
post #97 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Except, 1) they're full of shite since I guarantee the movie will probably only use 35-40GB of the disc and 2)it's not going to save you any real money. It's still going to be $25, with a 2 disc special edition almost certain to come out in another 4-6 months (with the same transfer) with all of those things you don't care about for maybe $3 more. So, you'll pay $25 for a $20 movie when you could have gotten the whole deal for about half of what they'll overcharge you for on the stripped down version.

LOL, I wasn't happy because I feel like I may "save money" one way or the other. Has nothing to do with it...again (for ME), I don't give a sh!t about extras, never have, so I could care less how its labeled and which super duper version comes along with whatever on it. I just happen to favor the idea of *movie first, extras second.* Wether I'm "duped" or not because the disc with extras ends up with equal PQ/AQ...well, heh, we'll see...but again, no loss on my end.

My Setup | Night

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: Brubaker, Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah
post #98 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie76 View Post

I wonder how many is going to even remember this movie 10 years from now

James Cameron´s "Terminator", "T2" and "Aliens" are timeless classics that still today is as awesome as 20-25 years ago.
"Avatar" though is gonna be "cool" maybe for about 2 years and then vanish in thin air.

The movie is only worth 2 out of 5 points as it has some cool sequences.
But really, I can barely remember the movie anymore

Bad script, boring characters and action scenes that looks like a videogame.
Basically a overhyped 3D/CGI/tech demo. That´s it.

James Cameron has become the new George Lucas and I fear his future projects is going to continue this CGI f*ckfest

Well that's certainly one opinion. Then there are a few million people with an entirely different opinion.
post #99 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnj1958 View Post

Well that's certainly one opinion. Then there are a few million people with an entirely different opinion.

Ya that whole post was rather silly, imo. This movie is far from a "CGI\\Tech demo", but its certainly not a Doubt, or There Will Be Blood, or any other dialogue or character-driven piece.. nor was it ever presented as such. It was presented as a big, epic film with incredible visuals and meaningful and hopefully inspiring story to appeal to all people.. which is exactly what it was. Whether you enjoyed that story or not is a different matter entirely. Whether you were too focused on the fact that there was a distinct unoriginality around the story that you were unable to allow yourself to be engaged in the presentation and storytelling is also another matter (which would mean that you are unable to enjoy ANY film, ever). Neither of which detract from the fact that the film is exactly what it was presented and intended to be despite all of you trying to pigeon-hole it or label it as something else.

Oh right I forgot.. James Cameron didn't spend years developing the story and characters and language and world and environment and physics and so on before he ever even begain filming, right? No.. he just haphazardly adapted Ferngully, Pocahantas, and Dances With Wolves (along with the book, 'The Jesus Incident') in a matter of days so that he could jump into the computer room and never look back. I keep forgetting that he's a talentless, uninspired, careless tool, but thanks for reminding me Avatar-haters.

Spend some time with this:
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/03/09/...writingavatar/

Last month, after a screening of Avatar at the Writers Guild Theater for WGA members, James Cameron spoke with F. X. Feeney about his writing process throughout his career and in the creation of Avatar. I know a lot of people like to make the easy jokes, and write off Avatar for having an over-simplistic plot, but for anyone who really wants to delve deeper — you should really find time to listen to this one hour and ten minute interview/question & answer session.
post #100 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just give me it in 2D scope and I'll be happy.

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #101 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:

LOL, I wasn't happy because I feel like I may "save money" one way or the other. Has nothing to do with it...again (for ME), I don't give a sh!t about extras, never have, so I could care less how its labeled and which super duper version comes along with whatever on it. I just happen to favor the idea of *movie first, extras second.* Wether I'm "duped" or not because the disc with extras ends up with equal PQ/AQ...well, heh, we'll see...but again, no loss on my end.

There's no "we'll see".

The Dark Knight is widely considered to have fantastic video, 38GB.
All three Pirates films are widely considered to have fantastic video, all are ~ 40GB.
2001, 35GB.

etc, etc, etc.

It would be nice if the movie is devoid of having to fast forward through trailers and such, but the removal of 12 minutes of trailers is not going to free up space that will somehow take the movie past reference grade.
post #102 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvarisco View Post

There's no "we'll see".

Point was, there's also "no loss." The only loss I'm beginning to sense is from folks who were maybe looking forward to picking this up next month and just found out they'll now have to wait for a later version because they want the extras. A valid reason to gripe, but no need to frown on those who simply stated the "superbit" version suits us just fine.

Quote:

From what I recall, most around here felt The Dark Knight looked like ass....

My Setup | Night

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: Brubaker, Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah
post #103 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Thanks for the "interview" link lwright84!

It's safe to say that the 'ultimate/special/deluxe edition" will have the same Disk 1 as the "movie only" release, and just add the extras on another disc. The catch will be that the two different releases will probably street for the same price! I guess I can't blame the studio for milking those who can't wait, but I almost would have paid EVEN MORE to get the "deluxe edition" now instead of later; as it stands, I won't touch the first release at all (and maybe save some $$ in long run).

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #104 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

The only reason I may hold off on the Aprill 22 "movie only" BD is to see how well this re-released summer run with supposedly additional material is received. If it ends up being considered a better slice of the movie, I'm sure JC and Co. would want that Blu disc out later this year (probably still 2D only). I'd much rather have the better cut, either way, regardless of whether it has extras or not....content is king. Then again, if early word says there's no improvement (or it doesn't even happen, I think they're just kicking the idea around anyway), I can then run out and pick up the superbit (still seems funny calling it that) version.

My Setup | Night

post #105 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Just give me it in 2D scope and I'll be happy.

Cameron thinks that 3D looks better in 16:9. I'm hoping the Blu-ray release is full screen. It's more immersive that way. The more the edges of the frame disappear into my peripheral vision, the more I'm pulled into Pandora.

Joe Clark

post #106 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Lies.
post #107 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 02:28 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:

there's no "we'll see".

The dark knight is widely considered to have fantastic video, 38gb.

lol
post #108 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie76 View Post

I wonder how many is going to even remember this movie 10 years from now (

Wizard of Oz, Aliens, or Star Wars it is not. It will be a cool film but not at the caliber of classic films like the above. Although, you can definitely appreciate the production value..

The early Blu-ray release pisses me off though. Read this article clip:

"In order to provide the ultimate Blu-ray (and DVD) viewing experience, the Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment release will be sold without special features, menu options, trailers, studio promotional material, etc " Here the whole article.

What? $40 and no extras? Total exploitation.
post #109 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuned View Post

What? $40 and no extras? Total exploitation.

Gee it sounds like the first release of TITANIC all over again.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #110 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From what I recall, most around here felt The Dark Knight looked like ass....

The IMAX scenes certainly didn't "look like ass". The rest of the film.....well, that's up for debate.
post #111 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only reason I may hold off on the Aprill 22 "movie only" BD is to see how well this re-released summer run with supposedly additional material is received. If it ends up being considered a better slice of the movie, I'm sure JC and Co. would want that Blu disc out later this year (probably still 2D only). I'd much rather have the better cut, either way, regardless of whether it has extras or not....content is king. Then again, if early word says there's no improvement (or it doesn't even happen, I think they're just kicking the idea around anyway), I can then run out and pick up the superbit (still seems funny calling it that) version.

BUT! why wait, there must be 5 or 6 custom covers for this NOW and the damn film is not even released, all of which are at least as good as the original! Always a up side to everything........ YMMV?

It is "WOW" TV!
post #112 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Madden View Post

The IMAX scenes certainly didn't "look like ass". The rest of the film.....well, that's up for debate.

You're right, I retract that remark, way too harsh, but it definitely did not look "fantastic" (the non IMAX portion, which was a lot).

My Setup | Night

post #113 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Well, there's one movie release that I won't be buying. It's not like the next version won't have the same quality.. Disc 1 will probably be exactly the same, they'll just put everything else on extra discs. I'm very disappointed in this release, though.. for a VFX buff like me, a movie like this is worthless without bonus features.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #114 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM

dts-hd MA 5.1 and 1.78 confirmed

-->> back cover

post #115 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 320
For the highest grossing movie of all time and with Cameron being such a stickler for high tech wizardry...

Why no new 24 bit, 7.1 mix? It would have been a killer addition.

Why not one disc in 1.78:1 and one in 2.39:1 since he thought both ratios were a-okay? Personally, I thought the 2.39:1 version was more epic-looking.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #116 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Nox
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

For the highest grossing movie of all time and with Cameron being such a stickler for high tech wizardry...

Why no new 24 bit, 7.1 mix? It would have been a killer addition.

Why not one disc in 1.78:1 and one in 2.39:1 since he thought both ratios were a-okay? Personally, I thought the 2.39:1 version was more epic-looking.

Curious, was the 2:39 ratio a cropped 1:78? Or was the 1:78 a cropped 2:39?

-David
post #117 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 07:21 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I was under the impression that it was going to be scope

Frank

post #118 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Is this Legit?

Why 1 month to go, no other sites like Amazon has this yet?
post #119 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post

Curious, was the 2:39 ratio a cropped 1:78? Or was the 1:78 a cropped 2:39?

I believe the 2:39:1 presentation was cropped. All the clips on talk shows were displayed around 1.78:1 and appeared to have more picture on the top and the bottom.

Early on I think I recall James Cameron stating in an interview that he liked the look of the Flat aspect ratio (1.78-1.85:1) more for large screen 3-D presentations but also preferred the Scope look for the 2-D version. He proceeded to shoot Avatar in Flat. Regular 3-D theaters and 2-D theaters saw the Scope version, but I believe it was opened up for the IMAX 3-D version (never saw it in IMAX, so can't confirm).
post #120 of 1752 Old 03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

People who haven't seen it yet are probably just turned off by the genre/subject in the first place - Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Outer space world/CG actors type of movie, I assume.

If you love this genre, I don't get how the hell you haven't seen this yet?
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page