Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Blu-ray and the standard DVD April 22nd

Video
Video resolution: 1080p
Aspect ratio: 1.78:1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3hdOtGpS5w&NR=1

Audio
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iURoC...eature=related

Discs
Blu-ray Disc
Two-disc set (1 BD, 1 DVD) http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/...ase-this-year/

3D http://www.tvpredictions.com/avatar021810.htm

'Avatar' shatters DVD and Blu-ray records

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryId=3762&cs=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 182
According to James Cameron, Avatar in Blu-ray 3D will be released in November. This information comes via TVPredictions, and the Wall Street Journal.

Joe Clark

post #3 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know I live in a fantasy world, but I'm not going to jump on the 3-D bandwagon until I can buy a large, high-quality autostereoscopic display. Glasses are lame.
post #4 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Marketsaw has that info also: No Worries! AVATAR S3DHD Blu-ray Out In November!!

Jim here. Rest easy AVATAR fans! James Cameron himself put to bed any notion of the 3D Blu-ray for the movie taking years to get to us. In a recent interview, he said the time frame for 3D on Blu-ray is November of THIS year.

From WSJ: It's all right on schedule, said Cameron. We'll do the Blu-ray and the standard def DVD April 22nd, that's our plan as of right now, and that'll be pretty much bare bones. And then we'll do a value-added DVD and a 3-D Blu-ray in I think November sometime.

All of this makes total sense. I was dumbfounded when I heard that the 3D release would be delayed. I NEVER thought it would be years as other sites conjectured - I don't know where that came from! This timing is perfect if you ask me: S3DHD televisions will be flowing in and out of CE stores starting next month and ramping up through summer / fall, and AVATAR hits just before the holidays!

Can you feel it? AVATAR in your home in stunning S3DHD by Christmas!! Potentially your home at least :-)
post #5 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yeah, I'm just going to stick with the 2D version of it since my LCD is a 4 year old model and not suitable for 3D.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #6 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Will the 3d version have the 2d version as well?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #7 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Will the 3d version have the 2d version as well?

As I understand it, that was one of the pivotal requirements for 3-D Blu-Ray: the 2-D stream would be available and completely playable on all players, new or legacy.
post #8 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

As I understand it, that was one of the pivotal requirements for 3-D Blu-Ray: the 2-D stream would be available and completely playable on all players, new or legacy.

Cool. Thanks Nick

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #9 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I suggest not counting too heavily on the 4/22 release date.

1. The film is still going great guns at the boxoffice and falling off rather slowly. It was #2 on Wednesday, and will probably be #2 or #3 this coming weekend.
2. It may see a big bump out of the Oscars.
3. Exhibitors are not happy when films that are still doing well are released on video. If it has played out, that is one thing, but Avatar is not showing signs of weakness yet.

I would wait for an official studio announcement on this one and I am not counting on anything before June.
post #10 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 347
It would be great as April is right around the corner.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #11 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 368
This was the first movie I'd seen in 3D since Jaws 3 and I think it's safe to say I am one of very few that was unimpressed with the movie or the 3D experience. Perhaps it was the theater I went to but the picture really seemed to be lacking the fine detail in textures like on a leaf or tree bark or rocks

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #12 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

I suggest not counting too heavily on the 4/22 release date.

1. The film is still going great guns at the boxoffice and falling off rather slowly. It was #2 on Wednesday, and will probably be #2 or #3 this coming weekend.
2. It may see a big bump out of the Oscars.
3. Exhibitors are not happy when films that are still doing well are released on video. If it has played out, that is one thing, but Avatar is not showing signs of weakness yet.

I would wait for an official studio announcement on this one and I am not counting on anything before June.

With all that said, Avatar will lose nearly all of its 3D and IMAX screens to Alice in Wonderland on March 5 which will effectively end its theatrical run.

The April 22 date sounds solid.
post #13 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For me 3D seems like a good thing for the theaters because it's a spectacle type atmosphere but not so much for home. At home it's a much more relaxed atmosphere and having to wear a pair of glasses to watch a movie at home while lounging on my couch isn't my idea of home entertainment.

I know that's not everyone's view. I'm just the 2D version is hitting in April!
post #14 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcorr View Post

For me 3D seems like a good thing for the theaters because it's a spectacle type atmosphere but not so much for home. At home it's a much more relaxed atmosphere and having to wear a pair of glasses to watch a movie at home while lounging on my couch isn't my idea of home entertainment.

I know that's not everyone's view. I'm just the 2D version is hitting in April!

That's why having a big screen at home is so important. Then it becomes a spectacle - even more so in 3D. Movies as a communal experience are good only in certain limited ways. The communal experience also means outrageous concession prices, noise, distraction, less than ideal picture and sound, and uncomfortable seats. My home theater trumps most movie theater I've attended. With any luck, so will my 3D home theater when I screen Avatar.

Joe Clark

post #15 of 1752 Old 02-18-2010, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I'll be getting this in April. I'll consider the 3D version after I have equipment that will provide a HQ 3D image on a BIG screen.
post #16 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
2D will be in my hands on release day. 3D, still trying to convince the wife goggles are cool!

Panasonic 60GT30
Denon X4100
Oppo BDP-103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 (front heights)
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
post #17 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 05:08 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
thats quick!! 2D will definitley will be a blind buy for me. April is looking good!!

Frank
post #18 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

This was the first movie I'd seen in 3D since Jaws 3 and I think it's safe to say I am one of very few that was unimpressed with the movie or the 3D experience. Perhaps it was the theater I went to but the picture really seemed to be lacking the fine detail in textures like on a leaf or tree bark or rocks

It was most definitely the theater you saw it in. We ended up having to sit in the 3rd row, toward the far right side - and it was the sharpest, clearest image I've ever seen in a theater. I was blown away.

On the movie, however, I may have to agree with you. A whole lot of "Dances With Wolves" and "A Man Called Horse" in there ....

post #19 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post

A whole lot of "Dances With Wolves" and "A Man Called Horse" in there ....

Not to mention 'Last Samurai' and 'Ferngully', amongst others.

Cameron's stories of late haven't been at all original, but I think he tells them well. 'Titanic', for example, centered around a love story between two youngsters from different sides of the tracks, set against a looming disaster. How often have we seen that? Recent example: a love story between a slave (Anakin) and a queen (Padme) set against a looming disaster (Clone War).

I still thought 'Titanic' was a well told story. Same with 'Avatar'. Its lack of original story didn't keep me from enjoying the movie. Definite pick up on Blu-ray.

Sanjay
post #20 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Not to mention 'Last Samurai' and 'Ferngully', amongst others.

Cameron's stories of late haven't been at all original, but I think he tells them well. 'Titanic', for example, centered around a love story between two youngsters from different sides of the tracks, set against a looming disaster. How often have we seen that? Recent example: a love story between a slave (Anakin) and a queen (Padme) set against a looming disaster (Clone War).

I still thought 'Titanic' was a well told story. Same with 'Avatar'. Its lack of original story didn't keep me from enjoying the movie. Definite pick up on Blu-ray.

Last Samurai and Pocahontas were actually the first two movies that came to my mind.

BigDad - Thanks for the info, I may have to give 3D a second go next time some that looks more my speed comes out. I'm in the East Bay SF area so I'm sure there has to be a good 3D theater somewhere not too far.

My Rig

post #21 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

FOX denies 3D Avatar in November - from blu-ray.com :

"James Cameron caused quite a stir when he said to the Wall Street Journal that Avatar would come out on Blu-ray in April in a "barebones" release and then in November in a 3D edition. On Thursday night, a spokesman for 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment notified the WSJ: "3D is in the conceptual stage and Avatar will not be out on 3D Blu-ray in November."

Of course, when putting in context the bold claim that "3D is in the conceptual stage," the following known facts are worth considering:

1. In December, the Blu-ray Disc Association (of which Fox is a board member) announced that it had finalized the Blu-ray 3D specification.
2. The 3D part of the HDMI 1.4 specification has already been adopted and made public.
3. At CES, 3D Blu-ray players were announced by Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and Toshiba. Most of them have also announced 3D displays.
4. This year, the PS3 is reportedly getting a firmware upgrade enabling 3D Blu-ray playback.
5. Blu-ray 3D authoring is already operational at Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory
6. Disney, Dreamworks and Sony have already announced they will release 3D titles during 2010. "

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4197

post #22 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

Blu-ray and the standard def DVD April 22nd, that's our plan as of right now...

Guess we should expect slow internet speeds around April 22nd

"If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space."
post #23 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I would really have to see how good the 3d will look on a smaller home screen. My screen is 126" and I am not sure if that is big enough for the 3d impact? The commercial theater image really seemed to shrink and I am not sure I want to be forced to upgrade my projector just to get 3d and have the impact be questionble? I am in no hurry for 3d and will sit on the fence for this one.

post #24 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I would really have to see how good the 3d will look on a smaller home screen. My screen is 126" and I am not sure if that is big enough for the 3d impact? The commercial theater image really seemed to shrink and I am not sure I want to be forced to upgrade my projector just to get 3d and have the impact be questionble? I am in no hurry for 3d and will sit on the fence for this one.

I need to find a good 3D theater in my area to get the real experience but as far as home use I agree. With the people that get headaches from it, people like my wife that get motion sick, and all the people that have just in the past year or so upgraded to an HD TV and a BD player I just don't see this becoming the norm for a long time if at all. Personally I wouldn't mind an occasional 3D movie but I wont upgrade my gear nor would I want to watch a 4hr football game in 3D. Just my 2¢

My Rig

post #25 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The max screen size in my room is 110". I'm fairly certain that size is going to give me a good 3D experience, although I am making plans to make minor changes in my seating arrangements, if it turns out I need to.

Joe Clark

post #26 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

The max screen size in my room is 110". I'm fairly certain that size is going to give me a good 3D experience, although I am making plans to make minor changes in my seating arrangements, if it turns out I need to.

I really enjoyed the theatrical version of Avatar in 3d. I am just paranoid that we can recreate the theatrical level of 3d at home easily and initially. Not sure why I should feel this way since I like my 2d home theater compared to the 2d commercial theater.

post #27 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I really enjoyed the theatrical version of Avatar in 3d. I am just paranoid that we can recreate the theatrical level of 3d at home easily and initially. Not sure why I should feel this way since I like my 2d home theater compared to the 2d commercial theater.

There will be issues, but I'm confident they'll be solved. After seeing 2D clips from Avatar at home on my 2D projector, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to beat the 3D theatrical experience by a significant margin. The bigger question is how long will it take before 3D projectors are affordable? I know I'll be near the front of the line, no matter what.

Joe Clark

post #28 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

This just in:

UPDATE: Fox contacted us today saying that "Avatar" is not scheduled to be released on 3D Blu-ray in November. "3D is in the conceptual stage and 'Avatar' will not be out on 3D Blu-ray in November," the studio said. We'll let you know when they do expect it to be released in 3D.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #29 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

This just in:

UPDATE: Fox contacted us today saying that "Avatar" is not scheduled to be released on 3D Blu-ray in November. "3D is in the conceptual stage and 'Avatar' will not be out on 3D Blu-ray in November," the studio said. We'll let you know when they do expect it to be released in 3D.

What about 2D? Is it still on?

Frank
post #30 of 1752 Old 02-19-2010, 11:55 PM

I think I may have the longest delay between screenings....exactly 50 days.

I'm interested in how many of you that will buy on the first day also saw the movie more than once in the theater. I've got to say I was in full release day purchase mode until I saw it in 3D again tonight. Now I've had my fill of the 3D effect and sadly of the movie. Unlike Titanic which held up well to repeated theater viewing (I saw it 4-5 times over 6 months), Avatar just didn't for me. Count me in the group that can now wait for the fully featured BR release at the end of the year.
Reply Blu-ray Software