Solomon Kane - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 04-05-2010, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been waiting for this in the theaters and now its up for pre-order on blu ray on Play.com in the UK - Out on 6-28-10. How do you like that, direct to video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-05-2010, 03:51 AM

Liked: 50
It came out in cinemas over here, and was one of my fave popcorn flicks this year

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970452/business
post #3 of 30 Old 04-05-2010, 07:21 AM
vld

For some reason, it was released in the U.K. and not in the states. However, there is a web site is showing that you can vote to demand it in your area, similar to the way Paranormal Activity was released. So hopefully it still has a chance for a theatrical release in the states.
post #4 of 30 Old 04-08-2010, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vläd View Post

For some reason, it was released in the U.K. and not in the states. However, there is a web site is showing that you can vote to demand it in your area, similar to the way Paranormal Activity was released. So hopefully it still has a chance for a theatrical release in the states.

Thanks, I just did that - sent it to facebook too. My luck it will be region locked
post #5 of 30 Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 154

Saw this on sale at BB this week (for $10), and was thinkin of givin it a try. Reviews seem a bit mixed though. Anyone else seen this yet, and have an opinion on it, AV or movie-wise?

ADU
post #6 of 30 Old 09-11-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
It's on Netflix HD right now. You can watch it there and then decide if you want to buy it or not.
post #7 of 30 Old 09-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 67
We watched it on Netflix and it was great. Convincing character development with solid, realistic action (for the most part). As a bonus, no shaky cam. It's a bit predictable, but what isn't?
post #8 of 30 Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

Saw this on sale at BB this week (for $10), and was thinkin of givin it a try. Reviews seem a bit mixed though. Anyone else seen this yet, and have an opinion on it, AV or movie-wise?
The AV is very good.
However, it's just a rental IMO.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #9 of 30 Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Tks for the replies folks. NF/renting isn't an option, so I think I'll give the BD a try, and report back with my findings. (It can't be any worse than some of the U. Boll films I've endured, right?)

The audience and top critics on Rotten Tomatoes are about evenly split. Blu-ray.com is pretty positive on both AV & movie though, fwtw.

ADU
post #10 of 30 Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

ADU
post #11 of 30 Old 09-12-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
It was OK. I can't help feeling a bit disappointed after so much talk.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 30 Old 09-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

I greatly appreciated the realistic combat scenes in stark contrast to today's crazy bloodless action. Like when he took more than one strike with his sword to cut off that dude's head or when the suction made it hard to pull the blade out. The swordplay had a real element of weight and danger to it that most movies just gloss over. Things like that go a long way in my book.
post #13 of 30 Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by vld View Post

I don't think Hollywood picked it up as a wide release here in the States for a couple of reasons. There are too many overtly Christian elements in it for the type of audience Hollywood goes after these days. The entirely British casting didn't help matters.

It's a really solid action-horror vehicle with some fantasy elements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #14 of 30 Old 09-15-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

I don't think Hollywood picked it up as a wide release here in the States for a couple of reasons. There are too many overtly Christian elements in it for the type of audience Hollywood goes after these days. The entirely British casting didn't help matters.

It's a really solid action-horror vehicle with some fantasy elements.
U.S. distribution was Weinstein. Weinstein has a history up picking films going to video after delaying or cancelling theatrical releases. This has happened with Dimension titles especially. This would have been under the Dimension label and was it's release curse of death. The recession didn't help either.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #15 of 30 Old 09-15-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Agreed.

It really does have a lot of VERY "overt Christian elements."
Frankly, I found it a bit distracting and unnecessary for a fantasy film like this.
I am not sure why the filmmaker went this direction...it doesn't help the movie.

post #16 of 30 Old 09-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

A 17th century European, Puritan saga with overt Christian elements? What else on earth would it be about? LOL
post #17 of 30 Old 09-16-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Agreed.

Frankly, I found it a bit distracting and unnecessary for a fantasy film like this.
I am not sure why the filmmaker went this direction...it doesn't help the movie.

It certainly doesn't along with the semi zombies.
post #18 of 30 Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Agreed.

So let's banish history from all films and not refer to anything Christian. rolleyes.gif

post #19 of 30 Old 09-17-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

A 17th century European, Puritan saga with overt Christian elements? What else on earth would it be about? LOL

Honestly, I was hoping for epic space battles with laser guns and flying vehicles. No wonder nobody wants to study history any more, it's so boring! tongue.gif
post #20 of 30 Old 09-18-2013, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

It certainly doesn't along with the semi zombies.

Zombies are totally biblical!
post #21 of 30 Old 09-18-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

So let's banish history from all films and not refer to anything Christian. rolleyes.gif
Solomon Kane is history?
I must have skipped the class...rolleyes.gif

a demon dressed in hooded black robes and armed with a flaming sword appears. The demon announces itself as "the Devil's Reaper" and tells Solomon his evil deeds have irrevocably damned his soul, and he is now destined for Hell. After a brief duel, Solomon leaps from the throne room window into the sea. As he falls to safety, the Reaper snarls that Solomon's soul will be the Devil's.
Solomon, believing that God's plan for him might be to use his violent skills against other killers
The priest tries to feed Solomon to his parishioners, who have become undead ghouls.
Malachi tries to convince Kane that his destiny has led him there to be taken by the Devil at last.
Malachi uses Meredith's "innocent blood" to open a portal, releasing a demon sent to claim Solomon's soul. After a desperate fight, Kane shoots Malachi in the head, sealing the portal and banishing the demon, but not before energy is pulled from Kane into the portal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Kane_(film)

post #22 of 30 Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You're being a bit ridiculous. It takes place in a time when the Church was the highest power in Europe. Every aspect of life was in some way evolved from Church doctrine. Do you want to erase that simply because of your prejudice against Christianity? It would seem so.

post #23 of 30 Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Do you want to erase that simply because of your prejudice against Christianity?
No, I don't want to erase the history of the Catholic or Christian Church (although the Vatican probably wishes it could).

My point was it is over-played and a distraction in this fantasy world concocted around a demon-killing Superhero ninja.

post #24 of 30 Old 09-18-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You are free to your opinion. I do not in any way agree. It would seem wrong to just deny that aspect of life in that time.

post #25 of 30 Old 09-19-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It would seem wrong to just deny that aspect of life in that time.
Using your logic, EVERY movie depicting Europe or the Middle East in the last 2,000 years should be covered in a think layer of Christianity?

OK, now I'm stumped....

post #26 of 30 Old 09-20-2013, 01:15 AM

Pretty sure Christianity is at the core of the SK character. Taking it out = not Solomon Kane.
post #27 of 30 Old 09-20-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:

Using your logic, EVERY movie depicting Europe or the Middle East in the last 2,000 years should be covered in a think layer of Christianity?

oink, oink... wink.gif ...Matt said "in that time", not in the last 2,000 years... Solomon Kane is an english man who "fights evil" and his adventures take place in the 17th century. Not exactly a time to question the notions of good and evil. The character's entire purpose is motivated by his faith, he's driven by it. I despise religion in any form, but putting things into context, I have no problem with that kind of historical layer. When films set in the present time tend to hammer some of these so-called values into the audience, then I do have a problem. But here, it's an inherent part of the story.
post #28 of 30 Old 09-20-2013, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

I've got no issue with religion in movies - I expect it. More than 85% of the world's population consider themselves "religious" - a third of the world being Christian. It's part of the human condition every bit as much as emotion and intellect. What I find more fascinating is the desire to remove it from media or to push values that are antithetical to most religions. Shock value? I dunno, people need to stop making such a big deal of it - for or against.
Morpheo likes this.
post #29 of 30 Old 09-20-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

oink, oink... wink.gif ...Matt said "in that time", not in the last 2,000 years...
Oops, I missed that....sorry, my bad.redface.gif

post #30 of 30 Old 11-03-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDarren View Post

Pretty sure Christianity is at the core of the SK character. Taking it out = not Solomon Kane.
This is exactly right.

Here's a pretty good article that describes the character Robert E. Howard created: Solomon Kane article from Spectrum magazine.

From that piece, and appropriate to this discussion, the author wrote:
Quote:
Howard suggests that to some extent Kane is using his Puritanism as a cover for his natural desire for battle and adventure--Howard describes him as “a knight errant in the somber clothes of a fanatic.“ Nevertheless the truly surprising aspect of the Solomon Kane stories is that the character is not treated in a condescending way by the writer. Howard seems to admire the man, even though Howard’s theology did not match those of his character. This fact makes these stories all the more amazing, at least when read in the present day. One can imagine a current writer-if conceiving of the character and setting at all-treating the stories as allegory, or as excuses to make snide comments about sincere (even extremely sincere) beliefs. (Nowadays, nihilism, cynicism, and ironic distance are the only protected ideologies; everything else presuming to assert absolute truth is considered to be “dangerous fanaticism.“) But Howard will not condescend to his creation-even a creation with which he does not share an ideology. All of these-the fascinating character, the setting, the unrelenting moodiness, and Howard’s passionate, active writing style that propels the reader into the story-make Solomon Kane an engrossing read.

While I wish the film would have picked up Kane as a fleshed-out character (as was done with Indiana Jones in Raiders), I can see why they were tasked with creating an origin story for him. The film could have eased up on the damnation theme, while sticking with the righteous passion of Kane and still remained true to Howard's creation.

Scott

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Solomon Kane Blu Ray Widescreen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page