Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind Blu-ray Release - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 142 Old 04-11-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While it has been noted in the Studio Ghibli thread that Nausicaa will be released on July 14 on blu-ray in Japan, details of this release have just become available and the good news is it is English (and a few other languages too) friendly.

Details of the release are:

Approximately 116 minutes recording time

Japanese Audio (2.0ch / Linear PCM)
English / French / German / Korean / Cantonese / Mandarin (2.0ch / Dolby Digital)

Japanese subtitles Subtitles / English Subtitles / French Subtitles / Subtitles Korean / Mandarin (Traditional) subtitles

Color Image

Other specifications picturedisk, BD50, MPEG4 AVC, non-duplication

Widescreen 16:9 screen size 1920 × 1080 FULL HD

Production in 1984

Special Notes Package Specifications
- Inclusion Award - "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind GUIDE BOOK" mini-book edition reprint Save (size: 9cm × heaven right 6.5cm)

Official Source: http://wdshe.jp/ghibli/product/index.jsp?cid=240 (last tab)

Hopefully more Ghibli titles will be released in an English friendly manner. While it's a shame that the English dub is not lossless, the lossless uncompressed PCM Japanese track, coupled with English subtitles should please most fans.

The purist in me is happy they haven't messed with the original audio mix (ie 2ch), but I am slightly disappointed that there is no surround mix.

Can't wait for this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 142 Old 04-12-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Hope a US release gets announced soon, as I'd rather not spend $80 per film. Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke are really the only two I'd be prepared to spend that kind of money on.
post #3 of 142 Old 04-12-2010, 01:57 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by momaw View Post

While it's a shame that the English dub is not lossless, the lossless uncompressed PCM Japanese track, coupled with English subtitles should please most fans.

Count me in. I'm not sure I'll need the U.S. release -- the english dub was a nice job, but I can't imagine I'd ever listen to it anyway. This Japanese version seems like it has everything I want.
post #4 of 142 Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Will the U.S. Disney versions only contain the English dubs in DD lossy, however?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #5 of 142 Old 04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
No, it'll probably be just like the Japanese version. Lossless japanese track on the Japanese release + lossy eng dub but the reverse for the NA version.
post #6 of 142 Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
*Does the Happy Dance!*

YAY! I've been waiting for these movies to start hitting blu-ray ever since I bought my first blu disc. If the US release isn't announced soon, I might just import it.

Lets hope these aren't just an upscale of the DVD like that one release of Spirited Away....

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #7 of 142 Old 04-13-2010, 08:00 AM

Like that what one release of Spirited away?
post #8 of 142 Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post

Like that what one release of Spirited away?

http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html

Quote:

19th of October, "SPIRITED AWAY" ON BLU-RAY: Paradiso Films, responsible for Studio Ghibli releases in the Netherlands and Belgium, have announced a Blu-ray release for Miyazaki Hayao's Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away). With Ponyo's Japanese Blu-ray release set on December 8 and the US and Australian release recently postponed, its release date of November 19 would mean their Spirited Away Blu-ray release would be the world's first Studio Ghibli full length feature Blu-ray release. Last Friday this outrun of even the famed Japanese animation studio gained people's attention, but Paradiso have informed GhibliWorld.com that "it will be an upscaled version of our current master". For several years Studio Ghibli have brought the Japanese HD versions of their films in the form of upscaled broadcasts at NTV. Besides Ponyo, real Blu-ray releases of Ghibli's other features still need to be announced.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #9 of 142 Old 07-15-2010, 04:30 AM

Alright, so this was released, and the image for the most part is breath taking. It looks really good, especially when you consider it's 26 years old.

You can see screenshots at these links. I'm not going to repost them because I didn't take them.

http://blog.affenheimtheater.de/en/2...y-of-the-wind/
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...-7-14-a-2.html
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1804049

Positives: No processing at first glance. Healthy grain and no edge enhancement. No windowboxing and 1.85:1 aspect ratio. Original mono track presented in LPCM 2.0 @ 48KHz/24-bit. Very natural and rich in texture. Very high bitrate on the video; constantly at around 40Mbps. Sharp natural image. Disc seems to be region free.

Minuses: Didn't attempt to give us as much picture data as possible. You'll notice the BD overall has more of the image, but it also removes some of it that DVD had. Didn't use the original title card from the negative. Maybe it wasn't as good? Notice it has the certification on it. Once again it's been color corrected for Japanese TVs at 9000k. Colors are dull and whites are once again pink. There's no pop or saturation, and they look off. Audio wasn't losslessly compressed in DTS-HD MA 2.0 @ 192Khz/24-bit.
post #10 of 142 Old 07-17-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
___Japanese BD______Japanese DVD___Some old chinese bootleg I dug up

windowboxing removed from the DVDs and image centered for better comparing
post #11 of 142 Old 07-17-2010, 01:40 PM

Oh my goodness, it looks amazing!

This looks like reference stuff. I must get it.

This fine wine is really good - it tastes like it was bottled yesterday!
post #12 of 142 Old 07-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's simply gorgeous.

Amazon Japan, CD Japan and YesAsia all have order links for this at the moment. (Amazon Japan is cheaper than the others right now, but shipping apparently balances that out.)

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #13 of 142 Old 07-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Frankly I wish Disney would allow their classics to look like this instead of scrubbing out every trace of grain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 142 Old 07-18-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiggles View Post

Frankly I wish Disney would allow their classics to look like this instead of scrubbing out every trace of grain.

Agreed.

I'd love to buy this, but by Crom it is expensive.
post #15 of 142 Old 07-18-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I preordered this but cheaped out on shipping so it hasn't arrived yet but it ought to be here soon. Looking forward to it, especially after seeing those caps.

I hope Princess Mononoke gets announced relatively soon. I wouldn't bat an eye at plunking down full price for the Japanese BD release of that. It's one of my favorite films of all time and I very rarely watch anime (though that is starting to change).

"Out of the mists of history, the legendary Esquilax! A horse with the head of a rabbit... and the body... of a rabbit."
post #16 of 142 Old 07-22-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

My disc just came in today. After spot-checking it, I am very impressed. A few shots are out of focus here and there (obviously not an encoding flaw) but overall it is very crisp with a well-represented veil of light grain. The English subtitle track seems to be slightly different from the one on the US DVD if my memory serves me ("Ohmu" is now "Ohm," for example) but it doesn't seem to be anything to be concerned about. Extras are in HD but in Japanese only, with the standout being the storyboard stills of the entire film put together with the audio from the movie to form a sort of animatic. It's pretty neat.

The packaging is very classy in a heavy book-like case and comes with a small "guide book."

I might not read or speak Japanese but even I can tell that this is an absolutely beautiful release and I would love to see more like it. I would gladly pay full Japanese list price for more Ghibli titles presented like this. They do their anime Criterion-style.

"Out of the mists of history, the legendary Esquilax! A horse with the head of a rabbit... and the body... of a rabbit."
post #17 of 142 Old 07-22-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkou View Post

They do their anime Criterion-style.

Considering how much anime costs to buy on shiny round discs in Japan, they had better be issuing Criterion-quality releases.
post #18 of 142 Old 07-23-2010, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I watched this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBN View Post

Alright, so this was released, and the image for the most part is breath taking. It looks really good, especially when you consider it's 26 years old.

The source elements must have been in very good condition, or the restoration work was incredibly meticulous. Considering it's age, it looks absolutely fantastic. Imagine the treatment Blade Runner received applied to an old anime film, and this is what it would look like. I hope as old anime films get remastered and released, they will look as good as Nausicaa does. Ghost in the Shell (original, not 2.0!) didn't look all that great and it's a much newer film than Nausicca. There is a steady stream of old Gundam series and movies being released on Blu-ray, I wonder how those look.

Quote:

Positives: No processing at first glance. Healthy grain and no edge enhancement. No windowboxing and 1.85:1 aspect ratio. Original mono track presented in LPCM 2.0 @ 48KHz/24-bit. Very natural and rich in texture. Very high bitrate on the video; constantly at around 40Mbps. Sharp natural image. Disc seems to be region free.

Minuses: Didn't attempt to give us as much picture data as possible. You'll notice the BD overall has more of the image, but it also removes some of it that DVD had. Didn't use the original title card from the negative. Maybe it wasn't as good? Notice it has the certification on it. Once again it's been color corrected for Japanese TVs at 9000k. Colors are dull and whites are once again pink. There's no pop or saturation, and they look off. Audio wasn't losslessly compressed in DTS-HD MA 2.0 @ 192Khz/24-bit.

The movie was slightly cropped to fit in the 16:9 Blu-ray frame. This is commonly done to 1.85:1 native aspect films because the image loss is minimal and quite frankly many TVs crop that much anyways because of overscan. The colors looked fine to me on my calibrated TV, though I no longer have any DVD release of the film to compare with. NTSC D65 is a universal video and photo color temperature, NTSC-J follows the same color temperature standard as NTSC-U. Unless Japan is weird and their color temperature standard is different, which it shouldn't be. There is no mathematical difference between LPCM and DTS-HDMA, and the original quality of this film's audio elements are not all that good (give it a break, it's 26 years old!!) so 192khz would be stupid and a waste, like the Akira Japanese Blu-ray release.
post #19 of 142 Old 07-23-2010, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Loved this film. Always have and would like it on BD, but at a reasonable price.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 142 Old 07-23-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

Considering how much anime costs to buy on shiny round discs in Japan, they had better be issuing Criterion-quality releases.

You ain't kiddin'. Thankfully, they delivered just that.

Knowing my luck it will be years before they do Princess Mononoke (my favorite). And I must say, PHL does excellent work.

post #21 of 142 Old 07-27-2010, 12:19 AM

@Faceless Rebel There was no restoration. They simply scanned the best elements they had at 6k. They did a very careful job when doing this. Apparently the reason the new title card has certification on it is because they don't have the original negative of it anymore. There are also a few scenes that are soft and out of focus.

I, too, wish every film got this kind of treatment. It all depends on the existing elements, time, money, and the company doing it. A lot of anime is from existing masters, old transfers, or worse, upscaled from SD.

I can't remember them off the top of my head, but there are a few JPN BDs out there that look on par with this release.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on it being a waste of space for the audio. It's mono mirrored on 2.0. But it's LPCM 24-bit/48KHz, which means it's taking up more space then it needs to since it's not losslessly compressed. I think they could have gone 24-bit/192KHz in DTS-MA and it would have come out only slightly larger than the space it's taking up currently. But since Buena Vista Japan is handling this aka Disney, they were probably cheap bastards and decided not to pay the fees.

Japan has a standard of 9300K. All you have to do is take a look at the WWF logo at the beginning of the film to see they didn't correct the chroma only, they simply tinted the whole damn picture. Spirited Away and Ponyo are also like this.

http://pocketnews.cocolog-nifty.com/...post-15f8.html

The film was draw and filmed at 1.85:1. All of their films are. There is no need to crop. It's minor, and it's not a huge issue, but they could have been more careful to present more of the image. You can clearly see inconsistencies between the BD and DVD. For the most part the BD has more information, but you can see parts were there is less.

I'd disagree that Akira was a waste at full audio detail.
post #22 of 142 Old 07-28-2010, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I WANT THIS BLU-RAY.

I hope that all the Ghibli releases get this kind of treatment, because this is simply outstanding compared to the DVD.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #23 of 142 Old 07-28-2010, 01:01 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I hope that all the Ghibli releases get this kind of treatment, because this is simply outstanding compared to the DVD.

My guess is they will be. Disney has the license for the Ghibli films -- and in my opinion Disney has been second-to-none in BD quality.

So I wasn't surprised that the NAUSICAA disc looked good... I was surprised at how good they got it to look. It's just amazing. I've already watched it twice!

I expect all the Ghibli films to look at least this good, especially anything directed by Miyazaki.

Impatiently waiting for the next one...
post #24 of 142 Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 AM

Man, I really want this disc, but it's so ridiculously expensive to import this one from Japan. I don't mind paying a bit extra for an exceptional disc, but 70 euro for a single movie is just too much. Looks like I'll just have to bide my time and wait for a good deal on this one.
post #25 of 142 Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil N View Post

Man, I really want this disc, but it's so ridiculously expensive to import this one from Japan. I don't mind paying a bit extra for an exceptional disc, but 70 euro for a single movie is just too much. Looks like I'll just have to bide my time and wait for a good deal on this one.

I can't wait for the US release, it is a day one buy for me. I also can't wait to see this in HD, but there is no way I am dropping that much for an import movie (I'll pay that price to import a game, but not a movie) so I found a 720p rip to hold me over for the US blu-ray release. (looks pretty darn good, way better than my DVD, but it was re-cropped to save some file size)

Considering I already own the Nausicaa disney DVD I didn't feel too bad about doing this, but I wish that they would release the US version asap so I can give them the money that they deserve for this release.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #26 of 142 Old 07-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post

My guess is they will be. Disney has the license for the Ghibli films -- and in my opinion Disney has been second-to-none in BD quality.

Well, except for their treatment of original language tracks on foreign titles.

Hopefully they will do Nausicaa right, but let's assume that they pull a Ponyo/Hero with a lossless dub and only a lossy original language track. The Ghibli films might be worth $80 to me, but why should Disney treating the original language as a second class citizen result in them getting three times as much of my money?

I'll do it once (did so for Ponyo) if it does just that little bit to get the message to them we'll pay for the releases that do it right. After that, it just seems like playing in to an extortion of many American Ghibli fans.

If it were not Disney distributing the title in Japan, the cost would still be high, but I would have no issues giving a different distributor my money.
post #27 of 142 Old 07-30-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMK View Post

Well, except for their treatment of original language tracks on foreign titles.

Hopefully they will do Nausicaa right, but let's assume that they pull a Ponyo/Hero with a lossless dub and only a lossy original language track. The Ghibli films might be worth $80 to me, but why should Disney treating the original language as a second class citizen result in them getting three times as much of my money?

I'll do it once (did so for Ponyo) if it does just that little bit to get the message to them we'll pay for the releases that do it right. After that, it just seems like playing in to an extortion of many American Ghibli fans.

If it were not Disney distributing the title in Japan, the cost would still be high, but I would have no issues giving a different distributor my money.

In all honesty, Disney is not doing this on purpose to extort money from people like us who want the original audio track in lossless. The number of people who import ANY titles, much less $80 ones from Japan, is so minuscule that it would not show up in any reasonably-scaled look at sales, nor would anyone bat an eye even if it were brought directly to their attention. And the same goes for "sending a message" by showing you want the lossless Japanese track so bad you'll import - again, no way such a small phenomenon is even on their radar.

The US release of Ponyo is like it is due to either standard practice templates (as postulated by Jeff of the Digital Bits), or ignorance / negligence of those involved with the project. And any corrections to this issue will be either by feedback from the community (Jeff has contacted those he knows within Disney Home Video, and I'm sure others have written in to whatever capacity they are capable of), or some internal change where those working on new Ghibli titles realize the error of Ponyo and fix it for future releases. This hemming and hawing about what message your sale sends is really pointless, as there is no message. Make purchase decisions for internal reasons, not external.
post #28 of 142 Old 11-11-2010, 05:28 AM

Some comparisons of the Japanese Blu-ray vs UK Blu-ray.

Apparently someone at Optimum thought it would be a good idea to smoothen the film, sigh.......

There's still some grain, and it looks far from terrible - but they just shouldn't have messed with it.
Although, I do find the grain on the Japanese release to look strangely consistent and somewhat digital.

Hope you don't mind me using your previous screenshots eric.exe .

Japanese left - UK right

Not all exact frames.

23 more screenshots HERE
post #29 of 142 Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 AM

Liked: 11
Yuck... I'm not usually one to comment on screenshot comparisons but the Japanese blu-ray looks a lot better than the UK release. I guess I'll just keep waiting until a US release comes out and hope its doesn't get botched like the UK release.
post #30 of 142 Old 11-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

To be fair, I suspect if the Japanese release didn't exist we'd be hailing the UK version as masterful. It's certainly not bad-looking in any way and a hell of a lot more faithful to the original film element than any of the Disney Diamond Edition releases that always get rave reviews. The Japanese release is a lot more faithful, though, no mistake, and I hope the eventual US release ends up looking like it rather than the UK version.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page