Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 78 Old 11-14-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Millenium is releasing Hammer's "Frankenstein Created Woman" on Blu-ray in the US on 1/14/14. No details yet on any extras (if there are any). The Region B release from a couple months back included the old 'Hammer Glamour' featurette and a Commentary Track with Film/Hammer historians Derek Fowlds, Robert Morris & Jonathan Rigby. I haven't seen this (Australian) Blu-ray, but I understand the video quality was very average at best.

Unfortunately, I doubt this release is going to look very good if Millennium's dvd release is anything to go by (which it was in regards to Dracula Prince of Darkness dvd>br). The Millenium dvd had washed out color and some nasty, clumpy "grain" which actually made the much older Anchor Bay dvd the better choice. I'll still buy it hoping to be pleasantly surprised but I'm not holding my breath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm big fan of the Hammer films and have about given up hope that we'll ever see a nice comprehensive set of Blu releases with decent transfers. Esp. in Region A.

Just look at how nice the Shout (and Arrow in the UK) releases of the Vincent Price/Poe films came out. The Hammer's should be getting similar treatment.

post #63 of 78 Old 11-14-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

I'm big fan of the Hammer films and have about given up hope that we'll ever see a nice comprehensive set of Blu releases with decent transfers. Esp. in Region A.

Just look at how nice the Shout (and Arrow in the UK) releases of the Vincent Price/Poe films came out. The Hammer's should be getting similar treatment.

MGM is to be thanked for the VPC quality which I plan to crack open on the weekend, maybe I will find additional info inside though I doubt it. From what little I have seen Arrow used the exact same master except the Shout versions have less bright grading, which is good and the 6 films have been crammed into 4 discs which disappointed me as I would of liked each film in it's own case.
post #64 of 78 Old 11-14-2013, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I (finally) received the Australian region B Blu-ray/DVD combo of "Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell" today in the US. The Blu-ray is not region locked.

VERY surprised how decent this release looks compared to the numerous older dvd (and Japanese laserdisc!) releases I have. Previously, the German Anolis dvd release, soft though the image is compared to the better looking but edited US Paramount DVD was the best and certainly most complete cut of this movie to own, but I can happily say the new Blu-ray makes the Anolis dvd obsolete.

First off, this release is completely uncut. Even the scene of the asylum director getting his throat slashed by the monster is complete (the Anolis dvd was about a second shorter during the close-up of the director's bloody throat). Better yet, the overall quality of the source and transfer is a vast improvement over every previous home video release.

The opening credits scene are fairly grainy due to the day for night/film stock used but once the scene shifts to the daylight countryside as depicted via model work and glass matte painting, the rich colors and detail are really a revelation for anyone used to the older home video releases. The only time the movie looks perhaps excessively grainy is the darker scenes, which I attribute to the photography, not the encoding or the fact that this is a 1080i transfer. Otherwise, it looks very crisp, has accurate colors, digitally unmolested and film-like.

The framing is listed as 1.66:1 and compared to the Anolis dvd, there's more image info on the sides with just a sliver less off the top and bottom. The compositions look fine throughout.

The audio track is lossless 2 channel LPCM stereo. There are no subtitles.

There's four bonus features, a short about director Terence Fisher narrated by his daughter, a short about the making of the film, a stills gallery and a commentary track by two of the actors, Shane Briant and Madeline Smith as well as Hammer historian/author Marcus Hearn. All said, the supplementary material is brief but surprisingly thorough in painting a picture of the circumstances this film was made.

The movie itself is essentially Hammer Film's swan song to their classic, uniquely "Hammer-esque" gothic style they invented, nurtured and perhaps clung to far past it's shelf live from '57 to '74. Many of the people most associated with the best of Hammers gothics were brought back for this film, primarily director Terence Fisher, actor Peter Cushing, James Bernard for the score and numerous other actors in smaller parts who were in Hammer productions dating back to "Horror Of Dracula" (Charles Lloyd Pack). Watching the film knowing that this was Hammer's last decent gothic and knowing that the cast and crew probably knew this was the end of the road for the studio gives the film a added undercurrent of finality that compliments the downbeat film itself.

The story is simple - a doctor of surgery who is a devotee of Frankenstein's theories is caught and sentenced to an asylum. Also confined to that asylum if Baron Frankenstein himself who is basically running the place and procuring bodies, limbs and organs of dead inmates to make his latest creature, which turns out to be an ape-like, guttural creature (in a terrible costume) who through a series of events meets a tragic but predictable fate.

In my opinion, Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell is not the best in the Hammer Frankenstein series in any way. What elevates this admittedly cheap looking production is especially Fisher's direction and Peter Cushing's acting which add layer upon layer of subtext and irony in every scene. This is a film where the beauty is in the details. However, I think it's the most rewarding as far as repeated viewing to pick apart the delightful nuances woven through the film due both to the art and craft of those involved as well as the unique drama surrounding the personal lives of the principles, most in the twilight of their careers and the final chapter of Hammer studios gothic glory.
Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #65 of 78 Old 11-15-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The BD sounds good from your comments, though an interlaced transfer is slightly disappointing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(last update: July 30, 2014)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #66 of 78 Old 11-18-2013, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Frankenstein Created Woman Special Features:

Audio Commentary Featuring Derek Fowlds ("Johann"), Robert Morris ("Hans") and Jonathan Rigby (Hammer Historian)
Frankenstein Created Woman Trailer
World of Hammer Episode "The Curse of Frankenstein"
World of Hammer Episode "Hammer Stars: Peter Cushing"
Brand New Documentary: "Hammer Glamour"
Animated Stills Gallery
Includes Exclusive Collectable Cards

Swiped from the other site natch.
post #67 of 78 Old 01-20-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Ms Frankenstein looks hot, if you can get past the scars. I suspect WB did the transfer and it does look promising in these images and I like the 'dim' grading, might be the best Hammer pq so far:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_60/frankenstein_created_woman_blu-ray.htm
post #68 of 78 Old 01-20-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Agreed, looks nice.

post #69 of 78 Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I will chime in and say those screen caps are fairly nice, with loads of real detail.

post #70 of 78 Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Received and skimmed through the US release of Frankenstein Created Woman today. Regarding the transfer, it's a lot better than the Millennium dvd release (or the older Anchor Bay dvd release) but I can't say it's as good as the decent screen caps posted in the DVD Beaver review seemed to promise. Looks a bit too dark and murky in many scenes and I'd rate the UK Blu-ray release of Evil Of Frankenstein and the Australian Frankenstein And The Monster From Hell significantly better. That said, it's the best the movie's ever looked on home video for what it's worth. Just don't expect to be blown away.

On the other hand, the two bonus feature "World of Hammer" docs look surprisingly good compared to my old dvd compilation of the series. I did get a chuckle out of the menu description of "Director Commentary" when FCW director Terrence Fisher has been dead for over 3 decades (it's actually a pair of Hammer horror film historians and a couple secondary cast members).
post #71 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I prefer transfers of scary movies look scary instead of the dayglow grading and adding cg of effects hammer does. I imagine Frankenstein Created Woman does not hold a candle to the dimness of Escape From New York.
post #72 of 78 Old 01-29-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

I prefer transfers of scary movies look scary instead of the dayglow grading and adding cg of effects hammer does. I imagine Frankenstein Created Woman does not hold a candle to the dimness of Escape From New York.

Whaaaa.....?!?
post #73 of 78 Old 09-09-2014, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Curse Of The Werewolf German Blu-ray

I received my copy of the Hammer Film's classic "Curse Of The Werewolf" released by Anolis of Germany (the Mediabook version) via Amazon Germany here in the US and watched it tonight.

I have to say I'm pretty blown away by how good the transfer looks. I've grown used to the hit and (mostly) miss nature most Hammer films have received on Blu-ray worldwide the past few years and even though knowing this was coming from Anolis who put out a number of really solid Hammer classics on DVD about a decade ago, I really blind bought with trepidation.

Happily, I can say this is probably one of, if not THE best looking "classic" (late 50's to mid 60's) Hammer Films so far released on BD anywhere worldwide. It helps this movie is one of Hammer's very best horror films from their creatively best period.

Really solid, well saturated colors (with no apparent revisionist color timing tomfoolery), very film-like yet crystal clear source shows off to maximum effect everything that made the early color Hammer horror films so beautiful to look at. I still have the old 2 dvd Universal Hammer Horror film set that includes Curse of The Werewolf which I believe uses the same uncut (reconstructed in the late 80's) and framed source print but the BD version blows it out of the water.

Add to the outstanding transfer, there's a very good selection of extras including the German language opening and closing credits (from an admittedly mediocre source) as well as a few other features I haven't gone through yet (although I did enjoy the scanned pages from the old House Of Hammer comic magazine featuring excellent artwork by John Bolton.

Perhaps my only minor complaint is there's no English language subtitles, but that's very a minor nitpick.

If Anolis gets ahold of "Bride of Dracula" and even "Phantom Of The Opera" I will blind buy without hesitation to replace my disappointing UK BDs.

My highest recommendation.
Phantom Stranger likes this.
post #74 of 78 Old 09-09-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for the review! Is it region-locked?

post #75 of 78 Old 09-09-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post
Thanks for the review! Is it region-locked?
Yes, it's region B locked.
post #76 of 78 Old 09-09-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have firsthand experience with the Captain Kronos BD available in Australia? This is one of my favorite Hammers and I don't foresee it getting a North American release.

post #77 of 78 Old 09-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hey, I remember 'Dracula AD 1972'.
post #78 of 78 Old 09-12-2014, 03:56 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Hey, I remember 'Dracula AD 1972'.
So say we all.

-Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dracula-ad-1972.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	259050  

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page