Big Hammer Horror BR News! - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #91 of 101 Old 12-17-2015, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I was fairly impressed by WB's release of Dracula Has Risen From the Grave. Solid detail and definition from a high-quality film scan. Easily recommended as a winner. I now wish Warner controlled more Hammer movies in the States.

AVSforum's Blu-ray Picture Quality Rankings (Updated through May 30, 2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 Old 12-18-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I was fairly impressed by WB's release of Dracula Has Risen From the Grave. Solid detail and definition from a high-quality film scan. Easily recommended as a winner. I now wish Warner controlled more Hammer movies in the States.
Hmmm 'high-quality film scan', are you implying something about the Hammer done masters?
post #93 of 101 Old 12-18-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

On the whole I've found the Hammer-mastered Blu-rays uneven. Decent work, but nothing I would call spectacular. Frankly, other niche labels with films of the exact same vintage have been producing better results. Some of this is due to mere timing. Film scans struck in the last year or two are really showing off improved resolution and definition when handled properly with best practices.

I've been astonished how much detail some labels have been pulling out lately. Now it does look like Dracula Has Risen From The Grave "only" received a 2K transfer. A 4K scan would likely produce slightly better results but I realize that not every film can receive that treatment at this time. I believe that WB did apply some digital finessing on a very fine level.

post #94 of 101 Old 12-19-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
On the whole I've found the Hammer-mastered Blu-rays uneven. Decent work, but nothing I would call spectacular. Frankly, other niche labels with films of the exact same vintage have been producing better results. Some of this is due to mere timing. Film scans struck in the last year or two are really showing off improved resolution and definition when handled properly with best practices.

I've been astonished how much detail some labels have been pulling out lately. Now it does look like Dracula Has Risen From The Grave "only" received a 2K transfer. A 4K scan would likely produce slightly better results but I realize that not every film can receive that treatment at this time. I believe that WB did apply some digital finessing on a very fine level.
I think the problem is Hammer did more digital finessing then WB.
post #95 of 101 Old 12-19-2015, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
I think the problem is Hammer did more digital finessing then WB.
It looks like WB took more skill and care with their digital finetuning. Which they should have an advantage, WB has vast experience dealing with film stock from that era.

I am not going out of my way to slam the Hammer jobs, which have ranged from acceptable to very good. Overall I've been pleased with Hammer, I merely wish we would get all the Hammer films on Blu-ray.

post #96 of 101 Old 12-20-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am not going out of my way to slam the Hammer jobs, which have ranged from acceptable to very good. Overall I've been pleased with Hammer, I merely wish we would get all the Hammer films on Blu-ray.
All I got to say to that is praising poor efforts does not make them do better next time but criticizing the disappointments more often does although far from always. Praising just the better efforts shows the way to handle old films otherwise they would still be cropping to fill the screen and pan & scan like in the early days of dvd to please the lowest common denominator.

Last edited by wuther; 12-20-2015 at 10:40 AM.
post #97 of 101 Old 12-20-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
I watched the Warner Hammer boxset movies projected and was very pleased. They hold up very nicely on a larger screen. The Mummy and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed probably looked best, but all four movies were done rather well. Looking forward to what they release for Volume 2.

post #98 of 101 Old 12-20-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I watched the Warner Hammer boxset movies projected and was very pleased. They hold up very nicely on a larger screen. The Mummy and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed probably looked best, but all four movies were done rather well. Looking forward to what they release for Volume 2.
Did WB announce Volume 2 yet?
post #99 of 101 Old 12-20-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Nope.

post #100 of 101 Old 12-20-2015, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I would guess Volume 2 shows up around Halloween if sales were decent for the first volume.
DavidHir likes this.

post #101 of 101 Old 12-21-2015, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would guess Volume 2 shows up around Halloween if sales were decent for the first volume.
That's a long wait...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page