LAST OF THE MOHICANS - "All New Definitive Director's Cut" - Coming Late 2010 - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 744 Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I recently checked this on my 50" kuro in the middle of the day and it was hard to see a lot of the detail. I turned it off and checked again at night with the lights off and it looked fine. It's just a dark movie and needs to be watched in a dark environment or it won't look good. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is another good example. Didn't look good during the day but great at night.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 744 Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post
I recently checked this on my 50" kuro in the middle of the day and it was hard to see a lot of the detail. I turned it off and checked again at night with the lights off and it looked fine. It's just a dark movie and needs to be watched in a dark environment or it won't look good. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is another good example. Didn't look good during the day but great at night.
...which confirms that some BDs are now being produced with the same intention as the original theatrical presentations.

Doug
post #723 of 744 Old 01-29-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally got around to watching this one last night, and loved it. It was a very filmlike presentation. Now, I can't pretend to remember exactly how a film looked 18 years ago, but I saw Mohicans at the Uptown in DC, and the BD was very reminiscent of my memory of that presentation.

I watched last night in a dark room, and I thought the brightness was just right. Once, I switched on a lamp for a minute, and it did reduce the intelligibility of the image.

The sound was also very impressive. On a few of the music cues, it sounded like the orchestra was drifting in and out of tune a little bit. Maybe the soundtrack was warped, or maybe the orchestra WAS out of tune!

It's BDs like this one and Escape from NY that remind me how good films used to look, before the current trend of digital filming, cranked contrast, ridiculous color timing games, etc.

Doug
post #724 of 744 Old 01-29-2011, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I dunno about the last part, Doug. The revised teal skies in LOTM come under the "ridiculous colour timing" banner for me.
post #725 of 744 Old 01-30-2011, 06:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I finally got around to watching this one last night, and loved it. It was a very filmlike presentation. Now, I can't pretend to remember exactly how a film looked 18 years ago, but I saw Mohicans at the Uptown in DC, and the BD was very reminiscent of my memory of that presentation.

I watched last night in a dark room, and I thought the brightness was just right. Once, I switched on a lamp for a minute, and it did reduce the intelligibility of the image.

The sound was also very impressive. On a few of the music cues, it sounded like the orchestra was drifting in and out of tune a little bit. Maybe the soundtrack was warped, or maybe the orchestra WAS out of tune!

It's BDs like this one and Escape from NY that remind me how good films used to look, before the current trend of digital filming, cranked contrast, ridiculous color timing games, etc.

Doug

I also saw this at the Uptown (in 70mm) and the thing that most impressed me was the audio, the canon's were so intense, LOUD and deep in bass, that I thought the walls were going to crack
post #726 of 744 Old 01-30-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Every version I've ever seen has been like that. I used to assume it was just VHS being rubbish!
post #727 of 744 Old 01-31-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I dunno about the last part, Doug. The revised teal skies in LOTM come under the "ridiculous colour timing" banner for me.
Good catch. I admit that I didn't notice that.

Oh, one more thing about the dimness of the image. Several people complained in particular about how dark the night scenes were at the fort. I do remember the same thing when I saw it in the theatre. Those scenes were intentionally dark. In fact, when he's talking to the settlers before they skedaddle back to their homes, I could barely see their faces, and the BD looked about the same.

Doug
post #728 of 744 Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Good catch. I admit that I didn't notice that.

Oh, one more thing about the dimness of the image. Several people complained in particular about how dark the night scenes were at the fort. I do remember the same thing when I saw it in the theatre. Those scenes were intentionally dark. In fact, when he's talking to the settlers before they skedaddle back to their homes, I could barely see their faces, and the BD looked about the same.

What's interesting to me is how people use "what it looked like in the theater" as a benchmark. Yet with rare exceptions, I've never seen the same movie look the same in two different theaters, ever. Chain theaters intentionally running lamps at reduced levels to extend their life is only one reason; there are a number of variables that can affect the sound and projection of a movie.

Screens are not all the same color. Lamps have different color temperatures. There are all manner of potential focus and framing issues. Every sound system and room have their own audio characteristics. (All this is why the THX system was supposedly invented, but how many THX-calibrated rooms have you ever actually seen a movie in?)

I expect Blu-rays to look (and sound) better than the movie did in the theater, because most theaters suck, almost none of them are calibrated or maintained to any common standard.

IMO, LOTM is fine not because it replicates any earlier experience of watching the movie, but because watching it in my HT is satisfying in its own right. I apply the same standard to watching a movie at home that I do when seeing it for the first time in the theater.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #729 of 744 Old 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quite right, rdclark. When I compare a BD to vague theatrical memories from 20-30 years ago, it's not about specifics, but about the general quality that a theatrical presentation of an anamorphic 35mm film had on a big screen. There are qualities that a fine film has that digital recording just can't match - yet.

And, although you're right about the variation between different theatres, projectionists, etc., I generally consider the Uptown to be one of the best theatres I've ever attended. They usually keep very high standards for their presentations.

Of course, that doesn't mean that the way I saw Mohicans there matched Mann's intentions, then or now.

Doug
post #730 of 744 Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

What's interesting to me is how people use "what it looked like in the theater" as a benchmark. Yet with rare exceptions, I've never seen the same movie look the same in two different theaters, ever. Chain theaters intentionally running lamps at reduced levels to extend their life is only one reason; there are a number of variables that can affect the sound and projection of a movie.

if that is all the issues you have when you go to the theater, you are very lucky person.

For the last ten years, I have had to repeatedly go complain about focus to someone to have them re-focus the picture on the screen, but even then they do not get right about half the time..(problem is I have 20-20 vision or better actually, so I guess most people are not noticing it) Then there the hairs and debris that show up from not cleaning their equipment or whatever....

Frankly, I have seen a number of different home theater projector setups at various places that sell the stuff, and they are all vastly superior to what the a number of the chains around here offer at the theater (although they do have better popcorn than i got at home)

One day I shall have such a set up in the house, but now I have to deal with a 63 inch plasma in the living room, which can only be dimly lit unless half the house has the lights turned off in the middle of the night, and Mohicans is just too dark for me.....but I adjust the brightness and it becomes better, but not as good as I want.

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #731 of 744 Old 02-01-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVisone View Post

if that is all the issues you have when you go to the theater, you are very lucky person.

For the last ten years, I have had to repeatedly go complain about focus to someone to have them re-focus the picture on the screen, but even then they do not get right about half the time..(problem is I have 20-20 vision or better actually, so I guess most people are not noticing it) Then there the hairs and debris that show up from not cleaning their equipment or whatever....

Frankly, I have seen a number of different home theater projector setups at various places that sell the stuff, and they are all vastly superior to what the a number of the chains around here offer at the theater (although they do have better popcorn than i got at home)

One day I shall have such a set up in the house, but now I have to deal with a 63 inch plasma in the living room, which can only be dimly lit unless half the house has the lights turned off in the middle of the night, and Mohicans is just too dark for me.....but I adjust the brightness and it becomes better, but not as good as I want.

One reason I go to the movie theater once or twice a year, if that.

Jeff
post #732 of 744 Old 08-19-2012, 11:21 AM

Liked: 50
Coming to the UK from Warner October 8th!
post #733 of 744 Old 08-19-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Coming to the UK from Warner October 8th!
Mike, do you know if this is a new master?

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #734 of 744 Old 08-19-2012, 12:07 PM

Not Yet will find out soon, and details on what cut they use also.
post #735 of 744 Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 AM

post #736 of 744 Old 11-17-2012, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
post #737 of 744 Old 11-21-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post

This will be $4 at Amazon on Sunday 11/25
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?tag=dealnewscom&docId=1000845091

Very cool, thanks.
post #738 of 744 Old 11-25-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Just snagged it, along with a pre-order of THE FOLLOWING (that one half off!) and PROMETHEUS at 70% off.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #739 of 744 Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The Criterion release for Brazil is more than half off at $20.99 right now on Amazon.
post #740 of 744 Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post

This will be $4 at Amazon on Sunday 11/25
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?tag=dealnewscom&docId=1000845091

Damn I missed it.
post #741 of 744 Old 12-20-2012, 10:04 PM

I hope there is another deal on this soon.
post #742 of 744 Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I've seen it at WalMart for several dollars in their Blu-Ray rack.
post #743 of 744 Old 12-21-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

I've seen it at WalMart for several dollars in their Blu-Ray rack.

Damn, that means I would actually have to go into a wallmart....
post #744 of 744 Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You could stand out side and pay someone to bring it out to you like kids do for beer . . .
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page