LAST OF THE MOHICANS - "All New Definitive Director's Cut" - Coming Late 2010 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 744 Old 07-20-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Is there a website that shows all the differences between the theatrical and the DC, maybe even with a video of the chase that everyone talks about? I haven't seen this movie since it came out so I was wondering about all that is changed.

Nobody has seen this new cut yet.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 744 Old 07-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Sorry, I meant the 1999 Director's Cut and the theatrical cut.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #93 of 744 Old 07-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Sorry, I meant the 1999 Director's Cut and the theatrical cut.

If you go back a few pages on this thread I think there is a link to YouTube of the original chase scene from the theatrical cut.
As far as other diffrerences I know the battle at Fort William Henry is an expanded scene. It's been so long since I've seen the theatrical cut that I can't remember the other changes, but they are small.

David

post #94 of 744 Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
post #95 of 744 Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Thanks! I always seem to forget about that site.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #96 of 744 Old 07-21-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude View Post

44 differences.

No mention of the changes in the music.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #97 of 744 Old 07-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude View Post

44 differences.

Interesting, I didn't realize there were so many minute changes and deletions and changes in dialogue. That would make seamless branching of the different cuts virtually impossible.

I really hope the "Definitive Director's Cut" is the Mann's original 3hr. cut.

David

post #98 of 744 Old 07-21-2010, 05:02 PM

Liked: 14
I'm going to assume the Cannad song was canned because, up to that point, the entire score had been orchestral. It seems a bit odd to suddenly introduce a poppy electronica song with lyrics and then go right back to orchestral. We don't get to see that conflict in the isolated youtube clip.

And the brief shot showing Magua's wound was strange in the sense that it was a suboptimal way to show the impalement. We see him impaled, and then the angle suddenly changes to show a close-up of the wound, and then we see his face of agony. It would have been ideal to have the first two in one shot seamlessly, but that might have been a tricky effect to pull off? If that was the case, it's really not worth adding a jarring angle change just to briefly see the result of a blow we know was fatal.

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
post #99 of 744 Old 07-22-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I don't mind a brand new DC, as long as the celtic song returns to the chase scene. That's the only edit I disapproved of before, and I won't buy this new release if it is still gone.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #100 of 744 Old 07-23-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I don't even remember the original cut since I haven't seen it since I was a child. What song are we talking about? Is it included in the soundtrack but not in the DC cut of the dvd? A youtube link perhaps?

Nevermind, I found it out myself. I'm glad MM cut that song out. Cheesy
post #101 of 744 Old 07-23-2010, 03:55 PM

Liked: 50
Heat turned out well, I just hope that we can get both cuts unlike Heat.
I bought Miami Vice 4 times (TC and DC on both HD-DVD and BR)
And would buy this twice if the option was there for both cuts
post #102 of 744 Old 07-24-2010, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywhite View Post

As cheesy as it might be, I'd wager there are more viewers -- a LOT more -- who remember the song from that sequence and want it restored to the film.
post #103 of 744 Old 07-24-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywhite View Post

If you had seen (and enjoyed) this film in the theater and the subsequent laserdisc release with the Clannad song intact it's a shock to see it yanked out in the last Director's Cut on DVD. I think I only watched the DC once and haven't bothered with it since. If this happens with the Blu-ray I won't buy it. By the way you'll find lots of cheesy songs in The Sound of Music and West Side Story so avoid them by all means.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #104 of 744 Old 07-24-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

If you had seen (and enjoyed) this film in the theater and the subsequent laserdisc release with the Clannad song intact it's a shock to see it yanked out in the last Director's Cut on DVD. I think I only watched the DC once and haven't bothered with it since. If this happens with the Blu-ray I won't buy it. By the way you'll find lots of cheesy songs in The Sound of Music and West Side Story so avoid them by all means.

So is it The Clannad song that has been removed in the DC? Well then I don't mind!
post #105 of 744 Old 07-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Regarding the Clannad song, didn't Mann lengthen the chase in the 1999 "Director's Cut"? This could possibly be the reason the song was dropped. When existing music is licensed to a movie for use in the soundtrack, the SPECIFIC LENGTH that the song will be used is part of the licensing deal, even down to the frame. Upon expanding the scene, the original deal for the song would no longer be valid, so they'd have to renegotiate the rights for the expanded length. Maybe the owners of the song wanted what Fox considered to be too much money for the new license?

Vincent
post #106 of 744 Old 07-24-2010, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Pereira View Post

Regarding the Clannad song, didn't Mann lengthen the chase in the 1999 "Director's Cut"? This could possibly be the reason the song was dropped. When existing music is licensed to a movie for use in the soundtrack, the SPECIFIC LENGTH that the song will be used is part of the licensing deal, even down to the frame. Upon expanding the scene, the original deal for the song would no longer be valid, so they'd have to renegotiate the rights for the expanded length. Maybe the owners of the song wanted what Fox considered to be too much money for the new license?

Vincent

Yes, and also there was some clever integration of the song with the orchestral score, both directly and in the matching of instrumentation and timbre. The song was written specifically for the film, and some of the lyrics are in Cherokee.

It's not the usual insertion of an existing song into a movie; it's an integral part of the original score, and I for one consider the DC to have lost something special when it was cut out.

(Full disclosure: I was a big fan of Clannad long before this movie appeared.)

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #107 of 744 Old 07-26-2010, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I absolutely only want the original Theatrical Cut. The Director's Cut really changed things far too much, rather than the usual adding of extended scenes that most directors do for "Director's Cuts" like in Aliens.

I agree with others here that the removal of the Clannad song really changed the entire tone of the scene and climax for me. Whenever I remember that scene in my head, the Clannad song instantly pops into my head.

The other edits, especially the slo-mos, really irk me as well.
post #108 of 744 Old 07-27-2010, 11:36 AM

I can't wait for this release. Like everyone, It would be great to include every cut, Blade Runner/Close Encounters style. Why not just include it for those who want it it? That being said, I'm a fan of Manns directors cuts. He doesn't just add deleted scenes and calls it a day. It seems like he actually takes the time and wants his film to be perfect, at least according to his eyes. He's not afraid to trim another scene down or delete it all together. I may not always agree with them but I'm always fascinated in seeing what a directors feels is his complete vision. Last Of The Mohicans will be no different. Definitely a day 1 purchase for me.
post #109 of 744 Old 07-27-2010, 12:34 PM

Watching it on Sky-hd now, I forgot how dark this movie is! You can see why Mann went digital since he likes natural light
post #110 of 744 Old 07-27-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorToschi View Post

I can't wait for this release. Like everyone, It would be great to include every cut, Blade Runner/Close Encounters style. Why not just include it for those who want it it? That being said, I'm a fan of Manns directors cuts. He doesn't just add deleted scenes and calls it a day. It seems like he actually takes the time and wants his film to be perfect, at least according to his eyes. He's not afraid to trim another scene down or delete it all together. I may not always agree with them but I'm always fascinated in seeing what a directors feels is his complete vision. Last Of The Mohicans will be no different. Definitely a day 1 purchase for me.

This. A thousand times this.
post #111 of 744 Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

I agree this movie deserves a multiple-disc set. Plus I've never seen any special features on this movie. I'd love to see some behind the scenes on filming in the mountians in NC, and all the details in making this beautiful film.

David

post #112 of 744 Old 07-27-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
When you think about it, from MM's perspective he has a sure fire hit with just about everyone if he includes quality versions of both the TC and DC. I can't think of any movie except Star Wars where this is as big of a deal for so many people. He'll get praise from both camps by giving us both instead of heated criticisms from one side if he doesn't.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #113 of 744 Old 07-27-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Watching it on Sky-hd now, I forgot how dark this movie is! You can see why Mann went digital since he likes natural light

mike...
You're watching "Last of the Mohicans" in HD??? If so...is it the theatrical cut? Is it in OAR? Here in the US we can only watch the SD version.
post #114 of 744 Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Amazon shows a release date of October 5th now. Listed as 1 Disc. I'm betting no theatrical cut.
post #115 of 744 Old 07-29-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy Lewis View Post

mike...
You're watching "Last of the Mohicans" in HD??? If so...is it the theatrical cut? Is it in OAR? Here in the US we can only watch the SD version.

Yep it was the TC, and Yep it was OAR and 5.1.
Looked like an old transfer very soft and the darkness made that worse.
Sky show it most weeks in HD.
I wanted to remind myself of the changes

http://tv.sky.com/tvlistings
Quote:

12:10pm on Sky Action HD

120 mins.

Oscar-winner Daniel Day-Lewis stars as a Native American-raised settler caught up in the French and Indian war as he fights to protect the daughters of an English colonel. (1992)(117 mins) More

Remote Record

Remind MeLinkShare
Paste link in email or IM

HD Pack. Find out more about this pack.

Digital surround sound
Guidance rating: 15
Add Your rating
1 stars2 stars3 stars4 stars5 stars No Opinion
Related Programmes
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
The Return of the Musketeers
City Of Ember
The Three Musketeers
Sands of Oblivion
Other Airings
Sun, 1st, 12:10pm Sky Action
Tags
MoviesAdventure

I am pretty sure its only recorded it at 720p but can get a few caps maybe if anyone wants
post #116 of 744 Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 PM

Max occaisionally shows it as well on one of their HD channels. However it is not widescreen, and it is as though they are not even upscaling it. Unlike many movies on Max HD , this one has a most very terrible picture quality

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #117 of 744 Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Yep it was the TC, and Yep it was OAR and 5.1.
Looked like an old transfer very soft and the darkness made that worse.
Sky show it most weeks in HD.
I wanted to remind myself of the changes

http://tv.sky.com/tvlistings

I am pretty sure its only recorded it at 720p but can get a few caps maybe if anyone wants

I've seen this a couple times on Sky and the HD pq is so bad I'd swear its an upconvert, it lacks the crisp detail that other full HD movies have. Sky certainly list it as HD but I'm not convinced. Be interesting to compare it to the upcoming Blu-Ray.
post #118 of 744 Old 07-30-2010, 02:29 AM
post #119 of 744 Old 07-30-2010, 03:53 AM

Man, I can't wait for this great film to come out on blu-ray! Love everything about it, the acting, the cinematography, the action but especially the music. Probably my favourite film score and I know a thing or two about film soundtracks (its a little obsession of mine) I just hope they do this film justice and make it look fantastic like it deserves to. No DNR please!

I don't own the dvd myself anymore so I can't match those up for you but I did do a comparison shot a while back between the hdtv version I have and the dvd before I sold it:

last of the mohicans dvd hdtv comparison

dvdmike007, looking at the shots you've posted up, you seem to be missing some grain compared to the version I have. Did you rip it off Sky HD yourself?
post #120 of 744 Old 07-30-2010, 04:12 AM

My friend did it with a really old HD capture device
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page