LAST OF THE MOHICANS - "All New Definitive Director's Cut" - Coming Late 2010 - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 744 Old 09-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Has anyone read which version of the speech at the end of the movie is included? The extended version is the only thing in the DC that I truly despise. I have a bad feeling that the DC version will be in. Glad to hear the other TC scenes are apparently restored, though.

It's a definite purchase regardless. I never get tired of this movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 744 Old 09-28-2010, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post

Has anyone read which version of the speech at the end of the movie is included? The extended version is the only thing in the DC that I truly despise. I have a bad feeling that the DC version will be in. Glad to hear the other TC scenes are apparently restored, though.

It's a definite purchase regardless. I never get tired of this movie.

Watched the BD today. The ending is the same as the ending in the theatrical cut.
post #183 of 744 Old 09-28-2010, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is all fantastic news! I've been so waiting for the original scenes to be restored into the movie. Ordered from Amazon!
post #184 of 744 Old 09-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post

Watched the BD today. The ending is the same as the ending in the theatrical cut.

You have made me. SO. HAPPY!!!!! In a manly sort of way, of course.
post #185 of 744 Old 09-28-2010, 09:37 PM

I love this film, and I am happy its coming out on Blu-ray. Day one purchase for me
post #186 of 744 Old 09-28-2010, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17

post #187 of 744 Old 09-28-2010, 10:15 PM

Eric- thanks for the screenshots. I appreciate knowing the grain is intact and the lush, film-like look of this movie has been retained.

I am curious to know if there is some kind of color space issue going from the BD to the PC (RGB) as those screenshots look very dark to me, far dimmer than I remember the movie looking and even compared to other screens that I've seen of this BD release.
post #188 of 744 Old 09-29-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhcr View Post

Eric- thanks for the screenshots. I appreciate knowing the grain is intact and the lush, film-like look of this movie has been retained.

I am curious to know if there is some kind of color space issue going from the BD to the PC (RGB) as those screenshots look very dark to me, far dimmer than I remember the movie looking and even compared to other screens that I've seen of this BD release.

Hmmm...I also noticed the darkness you point out. The dark scenes looked a bit too dark to my eyes. This is what I meant about the transfer not being perfect but acceptable and a million times better than AB.
post #189 of 744 Old 09-29-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks a lot like the remastered Gangs of New York.
post #190 of 744 Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 AM

Thanks Eric!

I've pre-ordered.
post #191 of 744 Old 09-29-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Oh wow, this one's looking really, really good. Thanks for the screenshots.
post #192 of 744 Old 09-29-2010, 09:16 AM

Liked: 15
Thanks for the screenshots, Eric! They do look quite good aside from being a touch dark.
post #193 of 744 Old 09-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post

Did you notice any other major changes? Is the extended fort battle scenes still in this cut?
post #194 of 744 Old 09-29-2010, 03:06 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddle View Post

Thanks for the screenshots, Eric! They do look quite good aside from being a touch dark.

It was shot with natural light, it should look dark in places
post #195 of 744 Old 09-29-2010, 03:15 PM

My apoligies- these screens do look like the ones I saw on Blu-ray.com.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mov...ounced-12.html
http://www.imagebam.com/image/03cbe199689909
post #196 of 744 Old 09-29-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 View Post

Did you notice any other major changes? Is the extended fort battle scenes still in this cut?

It's been a long time since I've seen this film so I'm not well-versed in the differences between the cuts, but if you describe the scenes to me in detail I can tell you whether they're on the disc.
post #197 of 744 Old 09-29-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

It was shot with natural light, it should look dark in places

I don't think you understand exactly how much light manipulation goes on even when shooting in natural light. Additionally, a lot of manipulation (color correction, brightness, exposure compensation, etc.) is done during post. Juts look at the first sequence in the film, when they are stalking the deer. Almost every shot in this sequence has additional lights adding texture and complementing the natural light visible in the background. There are shots, of course, mostly wide shots where the actors are far away from the camera in full daylight where no manipulation is possible, in those shots, you are correct in saying that natural light was used; but in the night scenes there is ALWAYS additional lighting being used, always.
post #198 of 744 Old 09-29-2010, 06:20 PM

Liked: 11
Both the Theatrical Cut (I have the Warner Region 3 Korean NTSC release) and the Director's Expanded Edition both were pretty dark, even in daylight scenes. It's just not that bright of a movie.
post #199 of 744 Old 09-30-2010, 01:43 AM

Liked: 14
Great transfer, great movie. Thank god.

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
post #200 of 744 Old 09-30-2010, 03:45 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagliostro View Post

I don't think you understand exactly how much light manipulation goes on even when shooting in natural light. Additionally, a lot of manipulation (color correction, brightness, exposure compensation, etc.) is done during post. Juts look at the first sequence in the film, when they are stalking the deer. Almost every shot in this sequence has additional lights adding texture and complementing the natural light visible in the background. There are shots, of course, mostly wide shots where the actors are far away from the camera in full daylight where no manipulation is possible, in those shots, you are correct in saying that natural light was used; but in the night scenes there is ALWAYS additional lighting being used, always.

I fully understand that, Mann wanted it to look natural like his later digital films, we are interlopers in this world and seeing it as is
post #201 of 744 Old 09-30-2010, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

It appears this BD has leaked out at some Best Buy stores which is no surprise as we have seen some catalogs do so beforehand. Of course your mileage may vary but at $19.99 which was supposedly the price paid, I'd grab it in a heartbeat if it were available.
post #202 of 744 Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

Both the Theatrical Cut (I have the Warner Region 3 Korean NTSC release) and the Director's Expanded Edition both were pretty dark, even in daylight scenes. It's just not that bright of a movie.

Agreed. And let's not forget that Mann, along with the Scott Bros., were in the forefront of a darker, more naturalistic look that started in the 1980s.

Doug
post #203 of 744 Old 09-30-2010, 09:31 AM

Cheers for the screencaps Eric! I'm loving the fine grain a lot, big improvement on the hdtv version I have in that regard, but all the shots look a little too dark and too orange to my eyes. Surely the grass and trees should look green, regardless of how it was shot and what lighting was used? The hdtv's colours look more accurate to me than this blu-ray IMO, even though that version also suffers from being a little too bright and having overly reddish flesh tones.

This is among my favourite films, but while the detail is great, I think they really dropped the ball on this one with the reduced brightness and too orange colour grading. I did a bit of tickering with the colours/brightness of the shots Eric posted up, applying exactly the same grading to all the daylight shots and slightly different grading applied to all the interior forest shots and night shots, here are examples showing how IMHO they could have graded it to make it look more natural and better overall:

Comparison 1

Comparison 2

Comparison 3

Comparison 4

Comparison 5

Comparison 6

Comparison 7

Comparison 8

Comparison 9

Comparison 10

Comparison 11

Comparison 12
post #204 of 744 Old 09-30-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Are the computer monitor you're viewing the screen shots on, and the video display you view movies on, calibrated identically, and are you viewing them in the same environment?

Me, I'm happy that this appears not to be overprocessed and that the cut appears to have restored elements I missed from the earlier DC. I will buy it. But it's my video display, not my computer, that I've worked to make emulate the theatrical look of film, so I won't be able to judge things like color accuracy until I see it on the big screen.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #205 of 744 Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Are the computer monitor you're viewing the screen shots on, and the video display you view movies on, calibrated identically, and are you viewing them in the same environment?

Me, I'm happy that this appears not to be overprocessed and that the cut appears to have restored elements I missed from the earlier DC. I will buy it. But it's my video display, not my computer, that I've worked to make emulate the theatrical look of film, so I won't be able to judge things like color accuracy until I see it on the big screen.

I've specifically configured my monitor at home to look pretty much identical in terms of RGB/colour/brightness/contrast etc. to how blu-rays look on my tv, so I can accurately compare screencaps and know how a blu-rays going to look on my set based on screencaps seen off my home monitor.

Thanks to the great work guys like Xylon, Eric, dvdmike007 and many others do posting blu-ray screencaps and comparisons, I've saved a lot of money on blu-rays over the years! Cheers guys!

I'm still on the wall about this blu-ray release. I love the film and the scores amazing but based off those screencaps Eric posted up, I'm a bit 50/50. I would almost be tempted to buy the blu-ray and regrade it, if only I had the right tools and a powerful enough computer to do it while maintaining as good image quality as possible...
post #206 of 744 Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

50/50 for me personally means I would would buy it at a good price on release day cause I really like it. If not, then I'd rent it first then decide afterwards.

This one ain't 50/50 for me though! I'm in and doubt I'm going to be disappointed.
post #207 of 744 Old 09-30-2010, 08:46 PM

Liked: 14
I think the original color is better, kingkong. Sunlight is warm, yours looks like fluorescent lighting, especially on shot 10. 12 is doing you no favors, either.

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
post #208 of 744 Old 10-01-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzRoy View Post

I think the original color is better, kingkong. Sunlight is warm, yours looks like fluorescent lighting, especially on shot 10. 12 is doing you no favors, either.

As far as I can see from the film, the majority of the time it is overcast. Overcast light is not yellow. The last time I checked, Last of the Mohicans was not set in Mexico, as the warm filter throughout the blu-ray would suggest.

I think comparison 4 is a clear example of how the true colours have been lost. I have the hdtv version and there is no strong warm filter throughout, nor is it as dark, the colours are far more similar to the grading i've added than to the original blu-ray grading.

Comparison 4

Here's another example with another screencap I found on the internet, one showing sky and trees. To me, the sky should be blue with white clouds and the trees green. With the blu-ray it is not, so I've tried to grade it so it is, not to mention boosting the brightness, to reflect that it is daylight.

Blu-ray original grading:

Blu-ray regraded to remove warm filter, correct colours and brightness:

If you truely prefer the grading of the blu-ray, then you're real lucky and will be 100% satisfied. Me, I'm having difficulty accepting that yellow warm filter and reduced brightness over what is in my eyes a beautifully shot film with many different colours, not just yellow.
post #209 of 744 Old 10-01-2010, 02:23 AM

not having seen the movie before, the regraded colours look way better to me.

@kingkong650 how did you do the colour degrading?
post #210 of 744 Old 10-01-2010, 08:10 AM

My copy just arrived. Unfortunately I'm at work and can't do much with it, other than note that it specifically says on the back that it's encoded with "AVC @ 38 MPBS". I've got the previous Director's edition and original Theatrical Cut on DVD, so will be having fun playing spot the difference...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software