Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev on Blu-Ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 04-15-2010, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As the first Blu-Ray title of one of the most acclaimed Russian arthouse directors, Andrei Tarkovsky, comes out in the next days, here are some specs on it:

Andrei Rublev
(Андрей Рублев)

The film has been previously released by RUSCICO (outside Russia), Krupny Plan (inside Russia) and Criterion (in USA; a longer cut of the film with the title "The Passion of Andrei"). The best PQ was in fact the Krupny Plan version (Beaver calls it Lizard), however, it was Russian-only.

Now MOSFILM, the mother company of Krupny Plan and RUSICO, has taken over the production of Blu-Ray of their film stock. And one of the first titles is Tarkovsky's "Andrei Rublev". The disc features English subtitles, so it is likely to turn up in international online shops after some while. Unfortunately, Russian DVD shops are not allowed to ship to foreign countries, because Russia is not a member of the WTO.

Anyway, here be the specs:

Cover:

Technical infos:
Code: ABC (codefree)
Version: Russian theatrical version (not Criterion's "Dom Kino" version which runs 15 minutes longer and has a different title).
Running time: 1:24:49 (Part 1) + 1:38:09 (Part 2)

Video/Codec: 1080p/AVC MPEG-4

Aspect Ratio: 2.30:1

Sound
- Russian DTS-HD MA 5.1 (48 kHz / 2026 kbps / 16-bit)
- Russian Dolby Digital 5.1 (448 kbps)
- Russian Dolby Digital 2.0 (192 kbps) (original mono)

Subtitles
- English (yess!)

Bonus
Unfortunately, nothing of the sort. The Criterion DVD was quite full of bonus, and even the old Krupny Plan DVD had a nice bonus disc with a documentary.

Screenshots

More info on the film:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...dreirublev.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-15-2010, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've resisted buying this for years in anticipation of a high definition transfer. Sounds like we'll get the cut version whenever we get it. Having a half-hour missing is a pretty big price to pay, though the Criterion did seem a bit on the over-exposed side.

CW Hinkle
post #3 of 24 Old 04-15-2010, 06:37 AM

is there a link to the bd cover?
guess there's no way to get this huh?
post #4 of 24 Old 04-15-2010, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

That looks pretty good. I mean the actual level of detail isn't amazing, but it seems to have fairly nice grain and no sharpening; I was expecting complete crap.

A Criterion re-release has been rumoured for a while now, maybe we'll see a Blu-ray release soon.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-15-2010, 07:35 AM

THe Russian release of Rublev is used by Artificial Eye for their DVD release. This is a very different version to the Criterion DVD, apart from being about 1/2 hour shorter - many of the scenes are from different takes. There must be a lot of film-stock for Andre Rublev in Russian movie-house vaults and my guess is that what we have on both DVD releases and presumably on the new Blu-Ray is material cobbled together from that film-stock and re-edited etc by persons other than the director (considering he died long before DVD was thought of).
post #6 of 24 Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

No, this is not like this at all.

The first cut ("The Passion According to Andrei") was made by Tarkovsky and was shown only once for the Dom Kino professional audience (running for 205 minutes). Because of its length and featured graphic violence, the Soviet State cinema ministry, the Goskino, requested Tarkovsky to cut the film down. This shorter version (186 minutes) received the title "Andrei Rublev" and went to Cannes film festival in 1969, where it won the FIPRESCI prize. This version was released in several Western countries and also in the Soviet Union in 1971 (and this is in fact the version which is now released on BluRay and was published by RUSCICO, Krupny Plan etc. before).

Basically, both of these versions were edited and authorized by Tarkovsky. The first cut (which was released by Criterion as the "Director's Cut") also features some alternative takes. According to Tarkovsky's sister, Marina Tarkovskaya, one of the editors of the film, Lyudmila Feiginova, secretly kept a print of the first, original cut in her home, under her bed. This was basically the source for the Criterion version. (As a matter of fact, I wonder if they can source a hidef transfer from this copy...)

According to some sources, at the end, Tarkovsky was convinced that the 186 minute cut was in fact better.
post #7 of 24 Old 04-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHutt View Post

Marina Tarkovskaya, one of the editors of the film, Lyudmila Feiginova, secretly kept a print of the first, original cut in her home, under her bed.

thats the spirit, true dedication

so its basically the same as with other movies (cannot think of any atm, dawn of the dead?) where the director prefers his tighter edited version over the complete uncut version?
post #8 of 24 Old 04-15-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well... the longer version did not resurface long until after the director's death. Nevertheless, both of them are authorized, were shown to audiences and have the right to be released.

Maybe Criterion will come up with a Blu-ray of the longer cut (as only them have the rights to do so). After all, their DVD was even non-anamorphic letterbox (scope aspect ratio!), and the PQ was rather suboptimal.

I personally look at the two versions as complementing each other.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-15-2010, 05:51 PM

Thanks for this post. My wife goes to Moscow in June, now I can start a wish list for things to bring back home. If she finds one I'll try to update the thread re: quality.

I need more zither!
post #10 of 24 Old 04-15-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Those caps look pretty decent for this film.

For whatever reason, this was one of the few foreign classics in the Criterion catalog that I just couldn't get into.
post #11 of 24 Old 04-16-2010, 12:20 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Those caps look pretty decent for this film.

For whatever reason, this was one of the few foreign classics in the Criterion catalog that I just couldn't get into.

Those do look impressive, I never actually watched this film, but everything Tarkovsky I've ever seen has been crap-VHS type quality. God what I wouldn't do to see The Stalker in HD. Tarkovsky is a serious investment, and I never really understand what is going on or what it is about, but he's got some of the most compelling shots in all of cinema.
post #12 of 24 Old 04-16-2010, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Stills look good but I think they are from duplicate negative and not original negative.
post #13 of 24 Old 04-16-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Those do look impressive, I never actually watched this film, but everything Tarkovsky I've ever seen has been crap-VHS type quality. God what I wouldn't do to see The Stalker in HD. Tarkovsky is a serious investment, and I never really understand what is going on or what it is about, but he's got some of the most compelling shots in all of cinema.

That's exactly how I felt while watching Andrei Rublev. Never really understood exactly what was going on.
post #14 of 24 Old 04-25-2010, 09:45 PM

Liked: 12
Hi all,

I found a Russian vendor that should ship Andrei Rublev to the USA:

http://www.kniga.ru/dvd/595811

I used Google Translate and created an account. Kniga.ru has three shipping options for international orders: Ground (2-3 weeks), Airmail (14 days) and EMS (Express Mail Service) (7 days). EMS, however costs 2088 RUR/71 USD so I chose Airmail, which is only 163 RUR/6 USD.

The total with Airmail to the USA was about 21.00 USD.

I had a tough time getting the payment processor (secure-assist.ru) web page to show up in Firefox, and I had to re-do the order about four times, creating four different orders in the process. but once I got in, the payment was verified (I was brave and used a Visa card), and it has even showed up unflagged on my online banking statement. I only paid for the one order, and I got an e-mail confirmation confirming that, so hopefully the other three will be removed from my Order History on Kniga.ru.

I have never ordered from anywhere in Russia before, and I have no idea what to expect from this transaction, so please realize that you order at your own risk.
post #15 of 24 Old 04-25-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post

Hi all,

I found a Russian vendor that should ship Andrei Rublev to the USA:

http://www.kniga.ru/dvd/595811

I used Google Translate and created an account. Kinga.ru has three shipping options for international orders: Ground (2-3 weeks), Airmail (14 days) and EMS (Express Mail Service) (7 days). EMS, however costs 2088 RUR/71 USD so I chose Airmail, which is only 163 RUR/6 USD.

The total with Airmail to the USA was about 21.00 USD.

I had a tough time getting the payment processor (secure-assist.ru) web page to show up in Firefox, and I had to re-do the order about four times, creating four different orders in the process. but once I got in, the payment was verified (I was brave and used a Visa card), and it has even showed up unflagged on my online banking statement. I only paid for the one order, and I got an e-mail confirmation confirming that, so hopefully the other three will be removed from my Order History on Kinga.ru.

I have never ordered from anywhere in Russia before, and I have no idea what to expect from this transaction, so please realize that you order at your own risk.

A very useful post indeed, many thanks ! I did order Come and See on DVD from a Russian supplier years ago (have to try and root out the address details etc), and although delivery took quite a while the disc arrived safely and money appeared to be transferred from my bank to theirs without any hitch.
post #16 of 24 Old 05-15-2010, 12:17 PM

Just to let everyone know, my copy arrived Thursday. though because it required a signature, I missed the delivery and it was redelivered today. Using Russian Airmail, it took 17 days from placing the order (4/26) to receiving the package in the USA. It does seem that Kniga.ru source items they ship, so your item may take a couple of days to arrive to them before they pack it an ship it.

The shrink-wrapped Blu-ray came bubble-wrapped and inside a cardboard packing sleeve which itself was wrapped with tape, and the whole thing was inside a Russian Post "bag" style package which was entirely sealed and showed no evidence of customs tampering.

Kniga.ru did not provide any sort of tracking and as far as their site knows, this item is still with the Russian Post. When I inquired as to the status of the item, I did receive a brief, seemingly translated response in English on one occasion, which seemed to state that they were waiting for the Russian Post to provide a tracking number, but by and large, do not expect Kniga.ru to be able to assist you with orders in English.
post #17 of 24 Old 05-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post

The shrink-wrapped Blu-ray came bubble-wrapped and inside a cardboard packing sleeve which itself was wrapped with tape, and the whole thing was inside a Russian Post "bag" style package which was entirely sealed and showed no evidence of customs tampering.

probably a better place to get this BD:
http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/5102487/ [similar to Amazon]

A2, A35, 320, 62fd, s5100, s6200, CHROMECAST, WDTV LIVE, HTPC w/ HD-DVD/BD
post #18 of 24 Old 05-15-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurid001 View Post

probably a better place to get this BD:
http://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/5102487/ [similar to Amazon]

I tried Ozon.ru, they will not ship it out of Russia...
post #19 of 24 Old 05-15-2010, 01:28 PM

wow, that's incredible that you were able to get that.
kudos to you.
I don't think I would ever be able to make an account and get it to actually work.
can't wait to hear more details.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-16-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9enhanced View Post

wow, that's incredible that you were able to get that.
kudos to you.
I don't think I would ever be able to make an account and get it to actually work.
can't wait to hear more details.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Andrei...Reviews/10957/
post #21 of 24 Old 05-25-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

I have some information from the Blu-Ray producer, the company "Tsifrovoy Element" (who produce Blu-Ray for Mosfilm).

They wrote that they did have bonus features, however, the rights situation for them was not clear: it is not clear who holds copyright for these, and as such, they could not be published on Blu-ray.

Other Mosfilm films from their catalogue will feature English subtitles if they already exist from earlier DVD releases.

I will keep this post updated as soon other famous Tarkovsky films like Stalker or Solaris will turn up on their schedule.
post #22 of 24 Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I will keep this post updated as soon other famous Tarkovsky films like Stalker or Solaris will turn up on their schedule.

Please do.

CW Hinkle
post #23 of 24 Old 05-25-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'll be all over Solaris.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Please do.

I will. Also, for non-Tarkovsky related Soviet films released by Mosfilm / Digital Element, I have started a new thread.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page