Star Wars on BD Confirmed by Lucas for Fall 2011 - Pre Release Discussion - Page 208 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #6211 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Onkyo do THX rated Htib, do not lump them all in together.
They also use high rated amps.

There is NO, Nada None HTIB that reproduce DVD sound none the less Bluray sound with enough quality to write a serious review from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 11:40 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

There is NO, NAda None HTIB that reproduce DVD sound non the less Bluray sound with enough quality to write a serious review from.

http://m.cnet.com/Article.rbml?nid=2...l&bcid=&bid=-1
post #6213 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

There's nothing new to talk about though. So I'm not sure what is justifiable as 'okay to be in the thread' from your guys' POV.

Not much, unless it's directly related to the re-release.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #6214 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Closet Geek, I did not do an A/B comparison but certain audio differences stood out in my memory. I watched the 04 DVD two weeks ago and lack of dynamics has always been noticeable to me over the years.

On that front the new mix is an excellent experience and for audiophiles that alone may justify the upgrade.

In regards to audio balance between the various audio elements, I feel the positive improvements outweighs what I view are less than ideal decisions. Thankfully the disparity in levels between effects, dialogue, and music is not as severe as what is found on the 04 DVDs.

New audio elements do stand out infrequently, likely due to originating from higher fidelity modern recordings, perhaps not as seamless level choices, or just due to my residual memories of certain sounds from the various iterations over the years.

Nothing has changed in my setup, aside from perhaps my hearing. ;}

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #6215 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

I take exception @ the Kardashians in your example. Only real reasons that the family is "famous" are that their dad was part of OJ Simpson's defense team & Kim had a sex tape hit the Internet. Beyond that, no real reason we should as a society even care. If neither the Simpson trial or Kim's videotaped sexcapades had come to pass, I doubt the Kardashian name would be so recognizable. It's not as if hot girls with big butts are a rare commodity.

Otherwise, I see your point.

I completely agree with the reasoning behind your point but I maintain that your very point actually epitomizes my point IMO. I admit this is a bit of a stretch of point but GL in many ways shows a lack of an appreciation for his fans (or fans of his movies). I really don't know what the percentages are and don't know if there is a way to really find out but I suspect there is a substantial percentage of the fanbase that wants the unaltered version of the movies. Again, issue your directors cut. Fine, no problem with that. But why not issue a one time special release of the UOT for a limited time only as a way of saying thank you to those that supported me? Because the bottom line reality is this, if people did not go see Star Wars (before A New Hope ever entered into the picture) 6,7,8 times or more only to go back and do the same for Empire and Jedi, somebody else would be living in what is called Skywalker Ranch. A farmboy, a pirate, a princess and a couple of robots....we got, we bought into it, drank the Kool Aid and BEGGED for more with our dollars and time. Baseball players will participate in the home run derby because there is a fan expecation. Singers will come out for an encore because fans cheer and when they win a Grammy the first or second thing they usually do is thank their fans. So with that it's not a stretch for SW fans to want a little appreciation for their support.

Man....is it Friday yet?!
post #6216 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

More off topic comments have been edited.

post #6217 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How Cute. Nope not even close to doing a proper job. Is it a great system for the price? Sure. Does it do more than the job for many people? Sure.

Does that reproduce accurate full range sound at reference level. Nope not a chance.
post #6218 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike View Post

How Cute. Nope not even close to doing a proper job. Is it a great system for the price? Sure. Does it do more than the job for many people? Sure.

Does that reproduce accurate full range sound at reference level. Nope not a chance.

You are so far beyond radical it's nuts.
post #6219 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

You are so far beyond radical it's nuts.

Maybe so. But my system modest by standards of this site does produce full range sound at reference level for dd5.1 and DTS5.1.

Im not saying you need to have that and everyone needs to have that. I am saying you better have the ability to do that in order to review a product that outputs that.

If you cant how can you judge how good the product is? in this case the star wars blurays.

If you cant hear what the discs are supposed to output how can you possible judge them.
post #6220 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

$1100 ain't "cute"

post #6221 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

$1100 ain't "cute"

It is in the audio world. Is 1100 dollars a lot of money for a lot of people yes. But in the context of audio performance and the hobby that is audio it is not at all a lot. You dont get into boating if you can afford the boat. Not to say if thats all you cna get is the HTIB, hey that's fine. Just don't start arguments saying it does what it cant do and that you can review things that put out sound beyond its capabilites with it.

For the record you can do better on your own than the box systems. I wouldn't spend 1100 dollars on a box system if it were your money

Something like a Klipsch RB41II for around 800ish bucks (one on amazon with a 12 inch sub) and a denon 1611 would trash that HTIB.
post #6222 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Having a 30k home cinema means you can hear everything, but 30k does not make you qualified to know what your are talking about.
post #6223 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Closet Geek, I did not do an A/B comparison but certain audio differences stood out in my memory. I watched the 04 DVD two weeks ago and lack of dynamics has always been noticeable to me over the years.

On that front the new mix is an excellent experience and for audiophiles that alone may justify the upgrade.

In regards to audio balance between the various audio elements, I feel the positive improvements outweighs what I view are less than ideal decisions. Thankfully the disparity in levels between effects, dialogue, and music is not as severe as what is found on the 04 DVDs.

New audio elements do stand out infrequently, likely due to originating from higher fidelity modern recordings, perhaps not as seamless level choices, or just due to my residual memories of certain sounds from the various iterations over the years.

Nothing has changed in my setup, aside from perhaps my hearing. ;}

Best Regards
KvE

Well I trust the hearing change is from pushing SpL's...lol!

Again, great feedback. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I've been abstaining from viewing any of the movies to further heighten the experience I hope to have come this Friday. And even before that timeframe, when I watched the movies I only did so through the tv, not my Denon. I'm pretty good noticing differences, especially with these films, so I'm anxious to see what stands out. I am glad to hear your sentiments about the new mix for the "sound sensitive".

I'm not a critic here, my plan is to simply kick back and enjoy the movies. I'm sure certain things will jump out at me, but my purpose here is to just be involved, share in the excitement, get some tidbits along with the anticpation and maybe a few laughs along the way. So thanks, I appreciate the reply.

On another note simply out of curiosity, is the THX Optimizer on this release or is this the plan for the Media Director? I don't use it I'm just curious.
post #6224 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Well I trust the hearing change is from pushing SpL's...lol!

Again, great feedback. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I've been abstaining from viewing any of the movies to further heighten the experience I hope to have come this Friday. And even before that timeframe, when I watched the movies I only did so through the tv, not my Denon. I'm pretty good noticing differences, especially with these films, so I'm anxious to see what stands out. I am glad to hear your sentiments about the new mix for the "sound sensitive".

I'm not a critic here, my plan is to simply kick back and enjoy the movies. I'm sure certain things will jump out at me, but my purpose here is to just be involved, share in the excitement, get some tidbits along with the anticpation and maybe a few laughs along the way. So thanks, I appreciate the reply.

On another note simply out of curiosity, is the THX Optimizer on this release or is this the plan for the Media Director? I don't use it I'm just curious.

Director is on the disc, but you need a compatible player and display first.
post #6225 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Whats media director?

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #6226 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Whats media director?

It sets your display / amp up for you. Based on content, may be ok if you are not set up our know how.
Bad if you are isf calibrated, or the room you are in is abnormal in some way.
post #6227 of 6227 Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's been determined we are going to soon close this topic and open a new topic for discussion of the re-release.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1359931

Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page