Star Wars on BD Confirmed by Lucas for Fall 2011 - Pre Release Discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://bluray.ign.com/articles/108/1084415p1.html

Quote:
April 17, 2010 - Today in the IGN Theater at the Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo (C2E2), Lucasfilm Director of Fan Relations Steve Sansweet revealed anticipated information about the Star Wars films coming to Blu-ray.

"We have been at work for a couple of years working onI won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuffbut, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material. We're finding all kinds of scenes from dailies that have never been seen before. Beyond all of those things that you know about there are some real treasures."

When will the set come out? Sansweet says, "We're not ready to announce exactly when it's coming out, but it won't be in the too distant future."

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll pre-order the whole set the moment they become available. Even if I don't like Ep. 1 or 2. Can't wait to get the original trilogy on Blu-ray, special editions or not. Love the films...
post #3 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 04:12 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I'll be happy to spend whatever on Episodes IV and V, and maybe VI. Only because of the nostalgia behind them (although I stll love TESB). NO interest whatsoever in the new ones, though.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #4 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 402
I hope they remix the sound on episode 3 as the DVD was anemic in the low end compared to episode 2 and to a lesser extent 1.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 04:19 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I hope they remix the sound on episode 3 as the DVD was anemic in the low end compared to episode 2 and to a lesser extent 1.

Though I didn't care for the movie, I understand completely what you're saying. The sound DID NOT meet expectations at all.

Stephen.

post #6 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Digital Bits is now reporting October 2011.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #7 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
By not too distant future, I'm anticipating a possible fall 2011 release. I could be wrong though, who knows?
post #8 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Me too. The battles would have a lot more impact for me if there was that expected amount of oomph.
post #9 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 04:39 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Me too. The battles would have a lot more impact for me if there was that expected amount of oomph.

They sounded like some type of dynamic range compression was turned on.

Stephen.

post #10 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 04:47 PM

Liked: 50
YAWN same news different year

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2...Wars-on-Bluray

Also this is worth reading as to the "quality" of the SE restorations
http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html
post #11 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 05:01 PM

Liked: 18
Nothin' matters to me but the original 1977, 1980 and 1983 releases--with no added digital material. I currently only watch the non-anamorphic discs taken from the old laserdisc releases (which is much more tolerable now, thanks to the wonder of the Oppo's upconversion), and I'll still be watching those versions when these 1080p editions come out. Unfortunately, I'm sure the "super set" of discs won't include the films that actually made film history... although I hold out a small glimmer of hope that we might actually get a choice, similar to CE3K and BLADE RUNNER.

Please don't flame me for saying any of this; it's just from my own personal experience and opinion. I don't fault anyone for liking the new flicks, and I'm not trying to start a tedious debate thread... I just wish we could be given a choice.
post #12 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

So is Han or Greedo going to shoot first in the new version? Lucas doesn't seem to know either.
post #13 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 05:06 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

So is Han or Greedo going to shoot first in the new version? Lucas doesn't seem to know either.

Guessing, I'd say Greedo shooting first is now the definitive version, according to Lucas. Glad I kept those old Laserdiscs...

Stephen.

post #14 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 05:16 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Ha, I gotcha, Mike. I was just saying that GL seems to be pretty much a CONTROL FREAK to the nth when it comes to this movie. But, it's his....more power to him (I guess )

Stephen.

post #15 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

More importantly, I may have to go to Los Angeles for this:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...n-may-19-.html
DIGITAL SCREENING of the Empire Strikes Back WITH HARRISON FORD!

post #16 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 05:55 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

More importantly, I may have to go to Los Angeles for this:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/hero...n-may-19-.html
DIGITAL SCREENING of the Empire Strikes Back WITH HARRISON FORD!

Without even reading the link, I'd have to say that this would be a defining cinematic moment for me. TESB is my favorite movie of all time. HF being there, too.....Damn.

Stephen.

post #17 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Without even reading the link, I'd have to say that this would be a defining cinematic moment for me. TESB is my favorite movie of all time. HF being there, too.....Damn.

They announced it yesterday. Tickets are sold out.

post #18 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I'll be glad to see these come out which ever version is released.
post #19 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It seems "the not too distant future" was Steven's response to everything at that Q&A.
http://movies.ign.com/articles/108/1084416p1.html

"George remains very interested in doing the Star Wars movies, all six, in 3D, and I hope it will happen someday in the not too distant future."

post #20 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I was just thinking when I stood in line at the old Seattle UA 150 to see TESB. My God, has it been 30 years already?!!

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #21 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

C2E2 10: Star Wars BDs in the Works

Sansweet reveals details on the highly-anticipated Blu-rays.

by Chris Carle

April 17, 2010 - Today in the IGN Theater at the Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo (C2E2), Lucasfilm Director of Fan Relations Steve Sansweet revealed anticipated information about the Star Wars films coming to Blu-ray.

"We have been at work for a couple of years working on—I won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuff—but, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material. We're finding all kinds of scenes from dailies that have never been seen before. Beyond all of those things that you know about… there are some real treasures."

When will the set come out? Sansweet says, "We're not ready to announce exactly when it's coming out, but it won't be in the too distant future."

Stay tuned to IGN Blu-ray for more news on the six films making their way to the format.

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/108/1084415p1.html

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #22 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Star Wars Blu-ray Set in the Works

Posted April 17, 2010 08:10 PM by Juan Calonge

During a panel at the C2E2 comic convention in Chicago, Steve Sansweet, Lucasfilm's Director of Content Management and Head of Fan Relations, stated that the company has been working on a Star Wars Blu-ray set. "We have been at work for a couple of years working on—I won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuff—but, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material", said Sansweet.

Sansweet didn't give a date, but he said " it won't be in the too distant future."

The Digital Bits, quoting industry sources, says that Lucasfilm "tentatively plans the official Blu-ray release to happen in October 2011."

Obviously, with the Alien Anthology coming later this year, a 2010 release of Star Wars can be safely ruled out, and considering that A New Hope opened theatrically in May 1977, late 2011 would be a natural choice for a 35th Anniversary Edition Anthology.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4461

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #23 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 07:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

MY TWO CENTS - 4/17/10 - by Digital Bits editor Bill Hunt

This is a rare Saturday post with some important breaking news: Lucasfilm's Steve Sansweet has reportedly confirmed, during a panel today at the C2E2 comic convention in Chicago, that the company is now working on a Blu-ray Disc box set of all six Star Wars films loaded with extras, for release "in the not too distant future."

We're awaiting any kind of official statement from Lucasfilm - one MAY appear on Star Wars.com in the coming days. Nonetheless, MANY people who were in the panel began Tweeting reports of the news almost the moment the words left Sansweet's mouth.

IGN has also reported the news with an actual quote from Sansweet: "We have been at work for a couple of years working on - I won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuff - but, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material. We're finding all kinds of scenes from dailies that have never been seen before. Beyond all of those things that you know about... there are some real treasures."

There is no other official information at this time, but we'll post additional details when and if they come in. HOWEVER...

Consider this Rumor Mill-worthy, but our own industry sources have actually been checking in with us in recent weeks on this very subject. Our latest information is that Lucasfilm tentatively plans the official Blu-ray release to happen in October 2011.

Now, we've been hearing reports like this on and off for years, and until now little has come of it. So we've been waiting to say something here on The Bits until we had a hint of more official confirmation. But now that Sansweet has begun talking about the release, we feel more comfortable reporting on the word from our sources. Plans could obviously change and again, even though Sansweet has hinted that it's coming, none of this constitutes an official announcement.

But if current plans remain unchanged, our sources say you'll be enjoying The Force in 1080p next October.

Again, we'll post additional updates as they come in. Stay tuned...

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

follow me on Twitter
post #24 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 07:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

http://www.theblurayblog.com/2010/04...ga-on-blu-ray/

Quote:

All of our nerd dreams have come true. Lord Lucas has finally deigned to bring his coveted six-film Star Wars opus to Blu-ray, according to reports of an announcement just made by Lucasfilm representative Steve Sansweet from a panel at the C2E2 comic book convention in Chicago.

While an actual quote has yet top be published, twitter reports began arriving within moments of Sansweet’s announcement:

@loquaciousmuse - “Star Wars Blu Ray of all 6 movies w/ tons of newly found extra material coming soon, no date yet.”
@NebsTV - “Star Wars Blu-ray pack with all 6 movies is in the works, loaded with new extras.”

Rest assured, when more info pours in, we’ll update the story. In the meantime, I have to say, while new information hasn’t really been revealed here (Still no date, still no details), it’s always nice to hear the confirmation that the studio is actively working on getting these films released on Blu-ray. I’m curious to know what this “newly found extra material” is, though. I’m personally hoping for nothing beyond the inclusion of the original cuts of the first trilogy. You might be tired of hearing it but Greedo should never shoot first!

Read more: Wish List: The Star Wars Saga on Blu-ray

follow me on Twitter
post #25 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 08:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Comments from July 2009

Guess they now think Blu-ray is going to be around for a few years after all.

Quote:

Q: Is there any talk whatsoever, and I'm not even going to ask for a date because I know that's ridiculous, but is there any talk about the Star Wars movies on a high definition format?

A: Yeah. I mean obviously we've been looking at that for a couple of years and I think one of the questions is when is the market penetration there and these days, will there be a market penetration before everything goes streaming? But we've been looking at an ultimate box set of the Star Wars movies, all six of the movies. And what special features would be. And clearly these days, if you did an ultimate box set and didn't do it in HD, Blu-ray, it just wouldn't make any sense. So now it's a matter of thinking okay, we've been thinking about this for a while, we know what kind of assets we want to use, we've done some work in cleaning up things, it's really a matter of making that decision of when's the best time to release it.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2...Wars-on-Bluray

follow me on Twitter
post #26 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 10:14 PM

Based on that link dvdmike007 posted, I'm actually dreading this release now. LOTR, Gladiator, Gangs of NY were all pikers compared to the explosion of discontent sure to come with this set ...

Hopefully in another 20 yrs after Lucas is a blue glow-y ghost himself, they'll be able to truly remaster it with some future tech that can restore crumbling, faded negative...
post #27 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that after his death, George Lucas is going to have his body burned up in a Jedi funeral pyre like Qui-Gon, and his corpse will be clutching the master negatives of the original theatrical versions of the first three films, just to be sure that the special editions are the ones that will go down in history.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #28 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
I really hope they decide to do a definitive (ok, probably not a word in the lucas vocabulary) restoration of the original film rather than re-use an older transfer of the special edition, since the digital technology in place is far more advanced now and can actually capture the full 35mm resolution... from that article it sounds like they've made so many transfers over the years they're probably sick of it by now

well, at the very least, i'm sure the Phantom Menace o-negs are pristine
post #29 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

I'm so buying this.

Panasonic TC-P58S2, Onkyo TX-NR1007, Onkyo DV-SP1000, Onkyo DV-HD805, Onkyo BD-SP807, Onkyo DX-V801, Onkyo UP-A1, Onkyo TA-RW411, Onkyo EQ-201, Yamaha Speakers NS700/750 Series, Blue Jean Cables
post #30 of 6227 Old 04-17-2010, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm holding out zero hope for the original, unaltered movies. This way, if hell freezes over and they come out, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page