AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

ambientcafe
Swollen Member

Also picked up 'TLB' today based on the great, demo-worthy PQ reviews (see below) -- and reportedly great visuals....however, I've been reluctant to open the disc after discovering the epically deflating 32% score it garnered on R/T's ....what to do, what to do...?

FWIW, my 13-year-old granddaughter went to see it 3 times in the theater.

I've not seen it though, and since everyone here wants $29.99, I'd probably go Amazon for the BD if I buy it this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 04-20-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Great visuals, lousy movie.

Get the book, kindle, iPad and audible versions instead. It deserves it. The story stick with you for a while. Its that good.

Peter got carried away with his "visuals".

Skip this blu-ray from a standpoint that the movie did not do the book justice.
post #3 of 65 Old 04-21-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweiss View Post

FWIW, my 13-year-old granddaughter went to see it 3 times in the theater.

I've not seen it though, and since everyone here wants $29.99, I'd probably go Amazon for the BD if I buy it this week.

$19.99 at Best Buy. I still hesitate to pick up on the possibility of no reply value.
post #4 of 65 Old 04-21-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

$19.99 at Best Buy. I still hesitate to pick up on the possibility of no reply value.

Rental recommendation from me. For some it will be a one and done but with multiple viewings one may pick up on some things missed. That is if one cares enough for the movie to venture that far afterwards.
post #5 of 65 Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really? All I saw was $29.99 at the BB I stopped at. I'll call them. Thanks!

(Are you sure that's the BD price and not the DVD price?)
post #6 of 65 Old 04-21-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am in the Houston area and I guarantee you that BB has it on sale for $19.99 through Friday. Pick up their newspaper insert at the front door and it will confirm whether the sale sign is up in the BD section or not.
post #7 of 65 Old 04-21-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I may be interested soley on the 3 hour documentary included with it.
It is supposed to be like a film class in itself.

I'm betting the rental version will omit it.
post #8 of 65 Old 04-21-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the documentary is on the second disc.

Quote:

Yep, picked mine up yesterday. The shelf & box sticker says $29.99, but it definitely rings up at $19.99. Plus it's in the weekend ad for that price.
post #9 of 65 Old 04-21-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpags View Post

Yeah, the documentary is on the second disc.

Yep, picked mine up yesterday. The shelf & box sticker says $29.99, but it definitely rings up at $19.99. Plus it's in the weekend ad for that price.

Got it tonight.
post #10 of 65 Old 04-21-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Watched it. Not bad at all and had terrific visuals. With a great display the "looking out a window" effect has never been better in a movie.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #11 of 65 Old 04-21-2010, 10:21 PM

It's a PHENOMENAL looking disc. The scenes in the "in-between" deliver the type of eye-candy HD is made for.

It's an interesting film as well. I don't think it's wholly successful, but I also don't think critics really gave it a fair shake either. So many reviews had their own ideas about what the film should have been without ever taking the time to consider the film Jackson actually delivered. They hated the fact that he even used CGI without ever considering how he used it. I thought the CGI was a noble attempt to translate the novel's emotions and psychology from a prose-based medium to a visual medium. It doesn't always work, but it's never less than STUNNING to look at.
post #12 of 65 Old 04-21-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_D View Post

It's a PHENOMENAL looking disc. The scenes in the "in-between" deliver the type of eye-candy HD is made for.

That's what I wanted to hear (read)....style over substance can be a good thing -- especially in hidef

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
post #13 of 65 Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm still wondering how unsettling this movie will be and if there is reply value. As a father, I would want to see some justice in this situation. Still debating but BB price will not last forever.
post #14 of 65 Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
For those looking to rent and still want to view the extra's....the rental copy I have from Blockbuster has the second disc extras in the case.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #15 of 65 Old 04-22-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Does this movie use handheld camera work? Does it have a lot of camera motion? If true, did they use a Steadcam, dolly or just free hand camera work?
post #16 of 65 Old 04-22-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm still wondering how unsettling this movie will be and if there is reply value. As a father, I would want to see some justice in this situation. Still debating but BB price will not last forever.

Buy it at BB this week for $19.99. Keep the receipt and don't open it until you're satisfied that it's a wise purchase for you (replay value, how unsettling it is - my understanding is that they toned down the unsettling/disturbing part). You should be able to get your doubts answered within 30 days so you can still return it unopened if you decide not to keep it.
post #17 of 65 Old 04-22-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Does this movie use handheld camera work? Does it have a lot of camera motion? If true, did they use a Steadcam, dolly or just free hand camera work?

The camera moves a lot, but it's almost always steadied by some sort of operating equipment (cranes, dollies, steadicam, tripod pans, etc.) There's only one "shakycam" shot and it lasts less than half a second. For the most part, the camerawork is fluid.
post #18 of 65 Old 04-22-2010, 01:43 PM

What an absolutely horrible movie, but I am tempted to buy this just for the documentary. That documentary sounds amazing and as a Jackson fan I would be interested to hear why he ended up making many of the the choices he did.

KT

My Blu-ray collectionhttp://c.mymovies.dk/keithtalent/

post #19 of 65 Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the movie was pretty good, looking forward to picking up the bluray
post #20 of 65 Old 04-22-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay, I've watched about 1.5 hours of the movie so far - have to take a break for awhile to do some other things. There's about 45 minutes more to go.

Stanley Tucci was nominated for best supporting actor for this. I can see why. He is very good and creepy.

Unless the movie turns crappy in the next 45 minutes, I am glad I bought this, whether or not the book is that much better or not. It's a visually imaginative feast. I hope the rest of it plays out well.

But for Rach's comment above - yes, it's unsettling, though so far nothing really terrible onscreen. Our 2 granddaughters and their mom are presently living with us, and the thought of something like this happening to one of them is nightmarish.

Also: I think it's when the dad is in the mall looking for clues or persons who might have killed his daughter, but the out-of-focus man in the shop in the background playing with the home movie camera is undoubtedly Peter Jackson, IMO.
post #21 of 65 Old 04-22-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Okay, I've watched about 1.5 hours of the movie so far - have to take a break for awhile to do some other things. There's about 45 minutes more to go.

You might not have as much to go as you think. The movie has almost 15 minutes of end credits. They start at about the 2 hr 1 min mark.
post #22 of 65 Old 04-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This has to win the award for one of the most beautiful, color pictures ever!! The sharpness, details and colors are amazing in this film. This is certainly one of the most beautiful looking BD's, i've seen.

The audio is excellent as well. While this is not a bass-heavy film, it comes through when needed. What I loved most about this mix is that it's a very immersive mix. No, not a lot of panning but a lot of surround presence, appropriate to the environment and very, very articulate. You can hear many details in the mix.
post #23 of 65 Old 04-22-2010, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSHale View Post

You might not have as much to go as you think. The movie has almost 15 minutes of end credits. They start at about the 2 hr 1 min mark.

The rest of the movie did not disappoint. Very interesting. Gorgeous, too. Can't wait to watch the 3-hr making-of feature.

It's nice to see a movie that deals with death and questions about death, as it's perhaps the ne plus ultra of subjects for pondering/contemplating, IMO, yet few films make it the point of the movie.
post #24 of 65 Old 04-23-2010, 12:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 191
I thought the movie was great. Very gripping. The visuals and sound were a delight and certain times were very suspenseful. I'm glad I picked it up.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #25 of 65 Old 04-23-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The rest of the movie did not disappoint. Very interesting. Gorgeous, too. Can't wait to watch the 3-hr making-of feature.

It's nice to see a movie that deals with death and questions about death, as it's perhaps the ne plus ultra of subjects for pondering/contemplating, IMO, yet few films make it the point of the movie.

I acted upon your suggestion and bought at BB. I am a bit relieved to hear your opinion of the movie. Still, I may wait. Thanks.
post #26 of 65 Old 04-23-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I acted upon your suggestion and bought at BB. I am a bit relieved to hear your opinion of the movie. Still, I may wait. Thanks.

What would characterize the movie as so "unsettling" that you would choose not to watch it? Maybe now that I've seen it I or others can (without giving away much) respond to your concerns as to whether or not you should return the movie.
post #27 of 65 Old 04-23-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What would characterize the movie as so "unsettling" that you would choose not to watch it? Maybe now that I've seen it I or others can (without giving away much) respond to your concerns as to whether or not you should return the movie.

I guess my biggest qualm is should I have bought or rented it. I want to see it regardless. I just hate to waste $20.
post #28 of 65 Old 04-23-2010, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess my biggest qualm is should I have bought or rented it. I want to see it regardless. I just hate to waste $20.

So do I, especially after all the money I've spent on my 500 or so DVDs. Yikes! I should have joined Netflix years ago.

I'm very judicious re: BD purchases so I don't commit the same mi$take. I haven't watched the 3-hour making-of disc. I suspect it will be interesting for learning the nuts and bolts of making a film. Since I'm not a film student, though, it's probably not something I'll return to.

But I think the film is compelling visually and acting-wise. And the ending is not exactly the resolution or ending I was expecting, which made it interesting and rewatchable (I think; I'll have to watch it a 2nd time to see how it holds up during a 2nd or 3rd viewing).

I don't think you'll regret spending the $20. Stanley Tucci is delicious in this. Makes your skin crawl. And if you have young daughters, watching this is much better than an "After School Special" on why they should be wary of strangers or even some of the "friendly" people in the neighborhood.

But you'll have to decide. I hope I don't lead you astray or cause you to have buyer's remorse if you keep and watch it.
post #29 of 65 Old 04-23-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:

But you'll have to decide. I hope I don't lead you astray or cause you to have buyer's remorse if you keep and watch it.

You're right on the money eweiss with your thoughts...a great experience.

BTW, my wife had to leave our theater room twice due to the tension coming from the awesome visuals and audio...the second time, she kept opening the door and asking if it was OK to come back in......she was killing me!

I rented this title from Netflix and will purchase it later in the year for the extras.
post #30 of 65 Old 04-23-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Rented, watched, was not impressed by the story.. I guess I expected more from Jackson. Visually stunning on BD and 110" screen. Like Avatar, real eye candy... Like Avatar, not an engaging plot.

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page