Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 128 Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Harris View Post

Spartacus is not a "grainy" film. There is natural 5248 grain, reduced by half in the filming process, on top of which is video noise.

RAH

WHAT? Spartacus is NOT a grainy film??? It just amazes me (then again, I am easily amazed) that anyone would think a large format film should have "lots of grain" - that would be a big NO. The whole point of large format was a "window to the world" with only very fine grain. That's why people shot large format - they didn't want the damn grain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 128 Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

WHAT? Spartacus is NOT a grainy film??? It just amazes me (then again, I am easily amazed) that anyone would think a large format film should have "lots of grain" - that would be a big NO. The whole point of large format was a "window to the world" with only very fine grain. That's why people shot large format - they didn't want the damn grain.

The whole point of choosing a large format was the higher resolution, fine grain was a by-product rather then the reason. Upon reading the 70mm promotions you will be hard pressed to find 'no grain', instead it's about more image detail. Film goers in no way hated film grain or print flaws for that matter, that's a home video myth. Film grain IS the image and not separate from it, get over it.

For Tron the supplements states many times 70mm was chosen because of it's high resolution could be printed out in larger more defined plates to use as templates for the hand drawn elements rather then saying 35mm is too grainy.

The Spartacus HD-DVD on the other hand does indeed have quite noticeable film grain, whether that's a result of over processing or a multi-generation source is open to debate I guess.
post #123 of 128 Old 08-16-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 12
Video noise.

RAH
post #124 of 128 Old 08-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

The whole point of choosing a large format was the higher resolution, fine grain was a by-product rather then the reason. Upon reading the 70mm promotions you will be hard pressed to find 'no grain', instead it's about more image detail. Film goers in no way hated film grain or print flaws for that matter, that's a home video myth. Film grain IS the image and not separate from it, get over it.
For Tron the supplements states many times 70mm was chosen because of it's high resolution could be printed out in larger more defined plates to use as templates for the hand drawn elements rather then saying 35mm is too grainy.
The Spartacus HD-DVD on the other hand does indeed have quite noticeable film grain, whether that's a result of over processing or a multi-generation source is open to debate I guess.

You do love to put words in people's mouths. You will be hard-pressed to find me having ever used the words "no grain" in reference to large format. Get over it. I said fine grain and that's what it is. Get over it. Learn. See Mr. Harris' comment above this one. smile.gif
post #125 of 128 Old 08-16-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

Film goers in no way hated film grain or print flaws for that matter, that's a home video myth. Film grain IS the image and not separate from it, get over it.
That older movies are invariably loaded with heavy grain is also a home video myth. Even an anamorphic 35mm film from the 60s or 70s could have very little visible grain for much of its running time.
post #126 of 128 Old 08-16-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

You do love to put words in people's mouths. You will be hard-pressed to find me having ever used the words "no grain" in reference to large format.
Quote:

That's why people shot large format - they didn't want the damn grain.

Epic fail. Try again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

That older movies are invariably loaded with heavy grain is also a home video myth. Even an anamorphic 35mm film from the 60s or 70s could have very little visible grain for much of its running time.

Gee where did I write 'heavy grain', oh yeah, no where. Still to those that prefer lots of grain scrubbing even close to full grain is 'too heavy'.
post #127 of 128 Old 08-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:

Epic fail. Try again.
Gee where did I write 'heavy grain', oh yeah, no where. Still to those that prefer lots of grain scrubbing even close to full grain is 'too heavy'.

Oh stop your silly Internet games. "They didn't want the damn grain" means exactly what you know it means - they wanted LESS grain than 35mm grain and if you don't know there is a difference between the two formats then I don't know what to tell you.

And wow, somebody put words in your mouth - and you don't like it - big surprise.
post #128 of 128 Old 08-16-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

I distinctly recall you accusing some transfer or other of being "scrubbed" when the grain structure was completely period-correct. And some folks in general are all to happy to jump for joy at how "gritty" and "grainy" some transfers are when what they're seeing is the sharpening and noise. How much grain is "full grain" exactly?
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page