AVS Forum banner

Import Blu ray must haves? (for U.S. residents with region free players, etc.)

27K views 120 replies 62 participants last post by  comixguru 
#1 ·
EDIT: For import DVD suggestions, please go to my 'Import DVD thread' in the DVD forum> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1252945

This thread is basically for those who have region free capable Blu ray players, living in the U.S. (or Canada, etc.), and have or purchase Blu ray's from the UK, Europe, etc., Because>

1. The title is not available in the U.S. (yet)

2. The title is available in the U.S., but it's version is subjectively lacking (PQ, editing, censorship, missing scenes, etc.) than the Euro version(s)

3. The title is available here in the U.S., but for some reason is much more expensive than purchasing from say, Amazon.uk (even including ship costs which are, or where, very reasonable/cheap)

4. ?? (other possible reasons I haven't though of?).

5. >> Note: Suggestions need not be limited to just movies; TV shows on Blu's can be suggested too, as long as it fits the above criteria (not avail. here, etc.)

6. >> Note: Try not to include titles that might be released slightly earlier in, lets say the UK, but will obviously be released in the U.S. (i.e., Iron Man II, etc.). Essentially, redundant (to U.S. residents) releases.

7. >> Note: It's fine to mention if the disc is region locked or not (if known). This means those w/o region free players can still participate and play discs that are not region locked.

ALSO> Don't forget to list the country you got it from and the reason (#1., 2., or 3. from the above list).

I'll start the list with 2 examples for myself (EDIT: I have 2 DVD titles listed because this thread used to have DVD/Blu's combined, but I agreed to split DVD's into a separate thread in the DVD forum, mods edited my thread titles. I'll leave my 2 DVD suggestions here only as an example of how to list the titles) >

> Girl on the Bridge DVD (French), bought from Amazon.uk (which usually insures English sub titles). When I bought this 2/3 years ago, it wasn't available here in the U.S. even though the film was already about 10 years old. But a quick check on Amazon U.S. today revealed it's now available here (though I'm not sure if the 'version' is the same).

> Human Traffic DVD (U.K.), This was available in the U.S. (had rented it here!), but I heard/read the U.S. version was censored quite a bit for 'drug references', LOL. I bought the U.K. version. Ironically the UK version is much longer, but I don't think the U.S. version is any worse as a 'movie'. I'd only get the UK version if you're a big fan of the movie.

I'm looking to expand my Import collection, hopefully now with some Blu ray's
This is the main reason (selfish) for this thread.

PLEASE,
lets keep the discussion to my above criteria (open to suggestions of course). Lets NOT discuss region code related questions (what region disc will play on what player, PAL/NTSC questions, etc.). Mentioning if the disc is region locked or not is OK!

This thread is generally for those who already have region free players and assumes you can play a Blu ray disc from any region (A,B,C, for Blu's and 0-6 for DVD's) and your TV, PJ, etc. can display it. The exception are the discs w/o region locks on them.

EDIT: To help avoid this thread turning into a 'will this import disc 'x' play in my region locked U.S. player?' , here's a link that lists Blu ray disc region code info's by country>>
http://bluray.liesinc.net/ It shows if region locked or not, etc.
As an example; If looking at a disc from amazon UK, click on the 'B' region code tab.

See less See more
#78 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger
I will take the Blu-ray edition of Zulu, DNR and all, over any prior DVD version. A non-DNRed edition is probably never coming out, so passing on it is foolhardy at best.
People were saying the same thing about Patton. Yet thats getting a non-DNR'd release...

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger /forum/post/20487020

I will take the Blu-ray edition of Zulu, DNR and all, over any prior DVD version. A non-DNRed edition is probably never coming out, so passing on it is foolhardy at best.

It's not "foolhardy" if your sensitive too DNR.

It's not "foolhardy" if your not a fan of the film.

It's not "foolhardy" if you can't find it at a reasonable price (completely personal).
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7808303

So, at best, there are a few sound reasons to skip this release & not be foolhardy.

[this from someone who spent the $$$ for this release]

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED /forum/post/20492543

It's not "foolhardy" if you can't find it at a reasonable price (completely personal).
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7808303

It's $12.58 + about $3 shipping from Amazon UK (guessing a bit on ship price as I had a 4 disc godfather collection in the same shipment, which totaled $6.72 shipping), and about 7-10 days to get.

I believe that's were we all get it from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED /forum/post/20492543

So, at best, there are a few sound reasons to skip this release & not be foolhardy.

Well, at the price mentioned, and the odds that a non-dnr'd blu release is unlikely in the near (if not never) future on this title (Patton was a more known/popular film I would think), I don't see the harm if you genuinely like the film, I mean, what are your choices???

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/20492584

Is the UK The Innocents region A or region free? I just have a US PS3

Locked to Region B, unfortunately. A really good release though.

#83 ·
This link has a list of Blu ray disc region code info's by country>>

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

As an example; If looking at a disc from amazon UK, click on the 'B' region code tab. Will show if region locked or not, etc., if it is listed. Obviously the list is not a complete list.

I'm going to add this to my original post in the beginning of the thread.

Though I still hope this thread focuses more on the discs than whether they'll play in a regular US player or not.

#85 ·
Well, what I bought are not "must-haves," but they are since they are not available in the US!
  1. Raw Deal
  2. Red Sonja
  3. Moonwalker
  4. Gladiator (for the cover)
  5. The Green Mile (for the price)
  6. El Cid
  7. Conan The Barbarian

I would also suggest buying WIlly Wonka for the price in the UK as well.

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severen /forum/post/20504775

Raw Deal on Blu-ray! Is it region free, what are the spec's, what does it look & sound like and where can you get it? I love old Arnold action movies and have been waiting for Raw Deal. Thank you for the heads up and the info.

Of course it's region free, I am in the US! It is 180P, but the trailer must be in the PAL format since that won't play. Thhe other features will play in HD. The quailty is a lot better than you might expect. It is better than the 48 Hrs. Blu-Ray. It is very good. The sound is what it si. Not great, not too bad.

Get it from Amazon UK. I would order more than this since it is almost a waste to order just one item. Conan will not arrive until July. It seems as if the UK has the bottom of the barrel Arnold films. I had not seen Raw Deal since it was shown a lot on cable back in the 80's, and all I could recall was the final bar shootout scene. Now I know why, that was the bulk of the action! Still a must have for the Anorld collection.

FYI, Red Sonja looks even better! While the film may not be a masterpiece, the picture quality on that one looks as if it were filmed yesterday! Very clean, clear and highly detailed!

#93 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc /forum/post/20502336

Well, what I bought are not "must-haves," but they are since they are not available in the US!
  1. Raw Deal
  2. Red Sonja
  3. Moonwalker
  4. Gladiator (for the cover)
  5. The Green Mile (for the price)
  6. El Cid
  7. Conan The Barbarian

I would also suggest buying WIlly Wonka for the price in the UK as well.

You know Conan the Barbarian has been censored in the UK, right?

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyglassesgirl /forum/post/18706683

While it is not region locked, the Australian version of American Psycho released by Sony is much, much better than the one released by Lionsgate in north america.

It still has it's issues, but it's still better. My own personal reviews for the PQ thread has the Lionsgate version at tier 3.5 while the Aussie version is more around tier 2.25.

If you love this movie and do not want to wait for them to ever re-encode this film, the Aussie version is definitely the way to go.

If you can get over the open matte the german version looks better, i directly compared to the australia version. German wins pq wise. But some dont like open matte. Pics in the comparison thread dont do the difference justice.

#96 ·
PQ differences over na some of these are only a slight improvement, some more dramatic. This really belongs more in blacklacs thread but nobody posts their anymore sadly.

Traffic-Polish or German, Nordic, and U.s. version I dislike due to EE. Msgohan has a thread on this.

Black hawk down-German or Nordic, I chose german because some of the pictures of the nordic looked a bit pink.

Fearless-Hong kong release

Donnie Darko-Australia

Iron man-Sony encode (japan or spanish) sharper.

Edward scissor hands-Russian AVC

Departed-French AVC slight improvement (DTS-hi res english only, unless your good with htpc you can mux the lpcm u.s. track)

Alexander-Netherlands

I could really go on, but then we might get into subjective stuff. For instance shawshank redemption I prefer german version might be the same as the uk I cant remember but it does have loseless audio the u.k only had dd anyway, i detect some EE in the na release. I dont know if everyone feels or prefers that version like i do.

#97 ·
Got the R2 "Basic Insticts"... man, do you have too really, really look too get the benefit.

When Michael Douglas has his back too the ocean on the deck when 1st meeting Stone's character; its evident BIG time. Other than that...

Damage is the same, throughout.

Got the R2 of "Twister" as well, improvement, less waxy, not huge, butt better.

How much better is the Japanese "Ironman"?!?!

My fave flick of that yr & my most watched BD.

#98 ·
I'm looking for Spirited Away... does anyone know if it's been released anywhere?

#99 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18
I'm looking for Spirited Away... does anyone know if it's been released anywhere?
It has not.

#100 ·
My import haul over the years...

SLEEPY HOLLOW -Japan, 1080i AVC, markedly better PQ than US release; Dolby TrueHD

RED SONJA - UK

RAW DEAL - UK

RED HEAT - UK (better PQ than US release)

TOTAL RECALL - UK (better pq than US release; comes in a pack with Raw Deal and Red Heat that's quite affordable)

FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR - Germany

D-TOX - Germany

1492 - France

CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS THE DISCOVERY - Germany (I am a sucker for bad movies lol)

TIME BANDITS - Germany (doesnt have the awful DNR Image added to the US version)

LADYHAWKE - HK

PAYBACK - UK (has both versions on it)

PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE - France

THE THING - UK (has extras not on US release)

WIZARDS - UK

BUGSY MALONE - UK

CAPRICORN ONE - UK

COMPANY OF WOLVES -UK

THE INNOCENTS - UK

EAGLE HAS LANDED - UK

IPCRESS FILE - UK

PRINCE VALIANT - UK

ESCAPE TO ATHENA - UK

QUICK AND THE DEAD - UK (runs longer than the US version)

ULTRAVIOLET - Japan (runs longer than US version)

EL CID - Germany

BABE PIG IN THE CITY - Germany

13TH WARRIOR - Germany

FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE - Germany

THE PUNISHER - UK (better PQ and sound than us release, also has extras)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.