AVS Forum banner

Import Blu ray must haves? (for U.S. residents with region free players, etc.)

27K views 120 replies 62 participants last post by  comixguru 
#1 ·
EDIT: For import DVD suggestions, please go to my 'Import DVD thread' in the DVD forum> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1252945

This thread is basically for those who have region free capable Blu ray players, living in the U.S. (or Canada, etc.), and have or purchase Blu ray's from the UK, Europe, etc., Because>

1. The title is not available in the U.S. (yet)

2. The title is available in the U.S., but it's version is subjectively lacking (PQ, editing, censorship, missing scenes, etc.) than the Euro version(s)

3. The title is available here in the U.S., but for some reason is much more expensive than purchasing from say, Amazon.uk (even including ship costs which are, or where, very reasonable/cheap)

4. ?? (other possible reasons I haven't though of?).

5. >> Note: Suggestions need not be limited to just movies; TV shows on Blu's can be suggested too, as long as it fits the above criteria (not avail. here, etc.)

6. >> Note: Try not to include titles that might be released slightly earlier in, lets say the UK, but will obviously be released in the U.S. (i.e., Iron Man II, etc.). Essentially, redundant (to U.S. residents) releases.

7. >> Note: It's fine to mention if the disc is region locked or not (if known). This means those w/o region free players can still participate and play discs that are not region locked.

ALSO> Don't forget to list the country you got it from and the reason (#1., 2., or 3. from the above list).

I'll start the list with 2 examples for myself (EDIT: I have 2 DVD titles listed because this thread used to have DVD/Blu's combined, but I agreed to split DVD's into a separate thread in the DVD forum, mods edited my thread titles. I'll leave my 2 DVD suggestions here only as an example of how to list the titles) >

> Girl on the Bridge DVD (French), bought from Amazon.uk (which usually insures English sub titles). When I bought this 2/3 years ago, it wasn't available here in the U.S. even though the film was already about 10 years old. But a quick check on Amazon U.S. today revealed it's now available here (though I'm not sure if the 'version' is the same).

> Human Traffic DVD (U.K.), This was available in the U.S. (had rented it here!), but I heard/read the U.S. version was censored quite a bit for 'drug references', LOL. I bought the U.K. version. Ironically the UK version is much longer, but I don't think the U.S. version is any worse as a 'movie'. I'd only get the UK version if you're a big fan of the movie.

I'm looking to expand my Import collection, hopefully now with some Blu ray's
This is the main reason (selfish) for this thread.

PLEASE,
lets keep the discussion to my above criteria (open to suggestions of course). Lets NOT discuss region code related questions (what region disc will play on what player, PAL/NTSC questions, etc.). Mentioning if the disc is region locked or not is OK!

This thread is generally for those who already have region free players and assumes you can play a Blu ray disc from any region (A,B,C, for Blu's and 0-6 for DVD's) and your TV, PJ, etc. can display it. The exception are the discs w/o region locks on them.

EDIT: To help avoid this thread turning into a 'will this import disc 'x' play in my region locked U.S. player?' , here's a link that lists Blu ray disc region code info's by country>>
http://bluray.liesinc.net/ It shows if region locked or not, etc.
As an example; If looking at a disc from amazon UK, click on the 'B' region code tab.

See less See more
#2 ·
Highlander on Blu-ray in the UK is a beautiful and pure release.

Total Recall on Blu-ray in the UK is still the way to go.

The Fog on Blu-ray in the UK is decent, and the best way to see the movie.

I also hear that the T2 release in the UK is the way to go for PQ.

All of these will play with US/Canada region players.

#3 ·
While it is not region locked, the Australian version of American Psycho released by Sony is much, much better than the one released by Lionsgate in north america.

It still has it's issues, but it's still better. My own personal reviews for the PQ thread has the Lionsgate version at tier 3.5 while the Aussie version is more around tier 2.25.

If you love this movie and do not want to wait for them to ever re-encode this film, the Aussie version is definitely the way to go.

#4 ·
Great idea for a thread, though I'd humbly request that people just quickly mention if a disc is region-locked or not. I don't think that's too intrusive so long as we don't get mired in an extensive discussion about regions.

I'd highly recommend the UK import of THE BOAT THAT ROCKED. I know it's been released domestically by Universal as PIRATE RADIO, but that is an extensively edited cut that's much inferior. You'll notice the difference in just the first two minutes. No region locking.

I'd also recommend picking up OSS 117 from France. It's an insidiously clever and energetic Bond-type spy spoof that was released domestically in theaters a few years back. The French BR has English subs and looks wonderful. Not region locked.

TOUCHING THE VOID is, in my humble opinion, one of the very best documentaries of the last ten years and has a very nice-looking UK release. This disc is region-locked.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 /forum/post/18706706

Great idea for a thread, though I'd humbly request that people just quickly mention if a disc is region-locked or not. I don't think that's too intrusive so long as we don't get mired in an extensive discussion about regions.

TOUCHING THE VOID is, in my humble opinion, one of the very best documentaries of the last ten years and has a very nice-looking UK release. This disc is region-locked.

I don't have an issue with mentioning region locked or not, if known. I'll update my post.

Touching the Void> A favorite of mine too.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman /forum/post/18706757

DVD or Blu Ray?

I don't have an issue with mentioning region locked or not, if known. I'll update my post.

Touching the Void> A favorite of mine too. DVD or Blu Ray??

We have to remember to mention with format the disc is as I'd like to included both formats instead of running a duplicate thread in the DVD forum.

Good start to the thread though

Oops, sorry. All the discs I mentioned are Blu-Rays. Glad some other folks have seen TOUCHING THE VOID... such a riveting film. No one I've recommended it to has come away disappointed.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 /forum/post/18706879

Glad some other folks have seen TOUCHING THE VOID... such a riveting film. No one I've recommended it to has come away disappointed.

A strange coincidence here: Last week a friend I haven't talked to in 2 years texted me asking if I remember the name of that 'climber doco film' I lent him a few years ago. For some reason I couldn't remember, then it came to me.

Now 1 week later the name of that film comes up again.

I hadn't seen or remembered that film for some years now, but 2x in 1 week now.

I checked Amazon UK and USA and it seems the blu ray of Touching the void isn't available in the U.S., but it is in the UK.

#9 ·
North Face (UK BD / CIH-friendly subs....avail domestically, but cheaper thru Amz.uk)

Dances W/Wolves (UK BD)

Once Were Warriors (Aussie BD)

Seraphim Falls (UK BD)

Rob Roy (Aussie BD)

All the above are: great films w/upper tier PQ; are playable on N. American BD players; and are currently n/a domestically (except 'North Face'). Unfortunately, I don't have a region-free player, otherwise, I'd pounce on the UK BD of 'The Big Blue' (english language version).

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientcafe /forum/post/18707908

North Face (UK BD / CIH-friendly subs....avail domestically, but cheaper thru Amz.uk)

Dances W/Wolves (UK BD)

Once Were Warriors (Aussie BD)

Seraphim Falls (UK BD)

Rob Roy (Aussie BD)

All the above are: great films w/upper tier PQ; are playable on N. American BD players; and are currently n/a domestically (except 'North Face'). Unfortunately, I don't have a region-free player, otherwise, I'd pounce on the UK BD of 'The Big Blue' (english language version).

NORTH FACE actually isn't available domestically on BR; there's a BR listed on Amazon US for it, but it's just the UK version. And yes, it's much cheaper to order the UK version from Amazon UK.

#12 ·
Has anyone had any experience with the French region-locked BR of HIMALAYA? I saw that film five times in theaters back in 2000, and it's astonishingly beautiful. I'm pretty sure the BR doesn't have English subs, but it's really not the type of movie where that matters; there's hardly any dialog.

#14 ·
Here's a vote for The Ipcress File Blu-Ray from the UK.

This is a fantastic, gritty spy movie from the 60's.

The picture quality on the Blu-Ray is fantastic, preserving the film grain yet still filled with detail. I wish more older movies were transferred this well.

Oh, and it's region free!

#15 ·
Here's a list of the blu-ray imports I have or ordered. At this time none are available domestically. The first 3 are OAR, the Canadian discs are not in 2.35. I believe all titles listed have lossless sound.

Blade (Dutch) - OAR *good PQ

Se7en (Dutch) - OAR (releases in US Sept) *good PQ

Equilibrium (Dutch) - OAR *great PQ

The Cell (Canadian) - *good PQ

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Canadian) - *good PQ

Slither (Dutch) - 1080p *dnr

Slither (Canadian) - 1080i *no dnr

Pulp Fiction (HK) *good PQ

Haute Tension (UK) *good grainy PQ - Subtitles are out of the 2.35 picture

The Hills Have Eyes (Dutch I think) *great PQ

Amelie (Australia) *very good PQ

Suspiria (UK) *PQ varies - bad to very good

The Elephant Man (UK) good PQ

Almost Famous (UK)

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robonaut /forum/post/18711419

Here's a vote for The Ipcress File Blu-Ray from the UK.

This is a fantastic, gritty spy movie from the 60's.

The picture quality on the Blu-Ray is fantastic, preserving the film grain yet still filled with detail. I wish more older movies were transferred this well.

Another vote for this one. It's a terrific movie that far too few folks have seen stateside, and the BD is gorgeous and film-like. I need to order this one.

There's also a UK BD of THE DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE that isn't region-locked. I haven't seen the disc so I can't vouch for quality, but my local indie video store imported it and I plan on checking it out. (I love that they're willing to shell out to bring in import BDs.)

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 /forum/post/18712006

Another vote for this one. It's a terrific movie that far too few folks have seen stateside, and the BD is gorgeous and film-like. I need to order this one.

There's also a UK BD of THE DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE that isn't region-locked. I haven't seen the disc so I can't vouch for quality, but my local indie video store imported it and I plan on checking it out. (I love that they're willing to shell out to bring in import BDs.)

I agree with you that the movie is extremely interesting, but I was rather disappointed by the UK BD. I do love filmlike presentations, but this one seemed very poor to me. I feel the movie needs a new transfer and, possibly, a restoration. Let me emphasize that I never had it on DVD or VHS (or LaserDisc?), and thus have no idea how bad these look.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvais /forum/post/18714053

Several must-haves for US horror fans that are available on BD in the UK (see amazon.co.uk) but only on DVD in the US are:

Donkey Punch

Eden Lake

High Tension (a.k.a. - Switchblade Romance)

Pontypool

It's probably worth noting that Donkey Punch, Eden Lake and Switchblade Romance are all Region B-locked even though that is not supposed to matter in this thread apparently

Pontypool is region free, however, and I can definitely recommend that to horror fans.

My own futher recommendations would be Warner's region-free UK releases of The Goonies and The Island. Although the former has finally made it on the slate for a US release in November (probably will be completely identical) and the latter has only lossy DD 5.1 audio, both are reasonable quality releases of entertaining movies that are also relatively inexpensive.

#22 ·
Almost Famous: Extended Edition (UK, Blu-ray) - Not available in US hi-def release. The extended version on DVD is out of print. This blu-ray is cheaper on amazon.co.uk than getting the OOP DVD from ebay.

Woodstock (UK, Blu-ray) - The UK version is way cheaper from amazon.co.uk than the US ultimate collector's box set. While you lose the other accessories in the box, the UK version has all special features on the second disc from both the Amazon and Target exclusive versions that were releases in the US. If you want all of the bonus performances, this import is a must.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyglassesgirl /forum/post/18706683

While it is not region locked, the Australian version of American Psycho released by Sony is much, much better than the one released by Lionsgate in north america.

It still has it's issues, but it's still better. My own personal reviews for the PQ thread has the Lionsgate version at tier 3.5 while the Aussie version is more around tier 2.25.

If you love this movie and do not want to wait for them to ever re-encode this film, the Aussie version is definitely the way to go.

Blu Ray. Apologies for not mentioning; my reviews for the PQ thread are for the one here, stickied at the top of the Blu Ray Software area of AVS.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe /forum/post/18714200

Optimum UK releases of Total Recall and Terminator 2 (still the best release of T2).

Is the UK BD of T2 the same transfer as the HD-DVD? I've got that one and it looks pretty terrific; certainly better than anything release stateside.

I'm also pretty tempted to pick up some titles that are available in the UK and also in the US, for the simple reason that they're much cheaper from the UK. NEVERENDING STORY, for instance, can be had for about $11 shipped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.