post #3151 of 3199 Old 04-03-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

You must've seen a radically different trailer than the rest of us have seen.

Nope. This is the one I saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcHYisZFLU

For the casual viewer (who is not a huge Alien fan or already aware of Prometheus) there is nothing in the trailer that says "Hey! This is a film about Alien!"

The trailer does heavily rely on imagery from Alien, such as the cryo-beds, the derelict, a cavern (not with eggs, but with strange cylinders), and a brief scene towards the end with a character screaming "Get it off!" as he has something attached to his face. But your typical movie-goer who has never heard of this movie is not going to immediately connect those things with Alien unless the trailer ends with a xenomorph sticking its tongue out.

EDIT: The video nick_danger posts is different from the one I saw in the theater, but my original point still stands. Anecdotal, but I turned to my friend and she didn't know it was an Alien movie. I'm sure I could show the trailer to a dozen other friends who would all also not pick up on the similarities.

I'm not trying to take anything away from this movie; I'll probably do everything I can to convince my friends to go see this with me.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3199 Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Nope. This is the one I saw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcHYisZFLU

For the casual viewer (who is not a huge Alien fan or already aware of Prometheus) there is nothing in the trailer that says "Hey! This is a film about Alien!"

The trailer does heavily rely on imagery from Alien, such as the cryo-beds, the derelict, a cavern (not with eggs, but with strange cylinders), and a brief scene towards the end with a character screaming "Get it off!" as he has something attached to his face. But your typical movie-goer who has never heard of this movie is not going to immediately connect those things with Alien unless the trailer ends with a xenomorph sticking its tongue out.

It doesn't get much more clear than 1:37 into the trailer. LOL
post #3153 of 3199 Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Right. Nothing but the alien from Alien and the space jockey from Alien and set designs that mirror those in Alien and production and lighting and sound design that echo Alien.

Otherwise, nothing at all!

I don't feel special...
post #3154 of 3199 Old 04-03-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Based upon some recent QA sessions on YouTube with Scott
(possible spoiler below, not a picture)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
it seems as though Prometheus will not feature the alien as we know it in the other films, but rather a less-evolved form (or weaponized form).

If you imagine how aggressive the alien itself is, now imagine even the DNA of the alien organism being like a programmed virus, overtaking and transforming within its hosts as it evolves into its ultimate form. At first it's just slime/ooze. Then it's something like a tentacle/eel. At some point it probably forms an egg, then a facehugger attacks, then it's the same old story we know and love. But by then, the movie is over and everyone is dead. Or it might just drive the crew to madness to kill one another in order to fulfill its needs.

No matter what, I can't wait to find out!
post #3155 of 3199 Old 04-03-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Based upon some recent QA sessions on YouTube with Scott
Spoiler  
it seems as though Prometheus will not feature the alien as we know it in the other films, but rather a less-evolved form (or weaponized form).

If you imagine how aggressive the alien itself is, now imagine even the DNA of the alien organism being like a programmed virus, overtaking and transforming within its hosts as it evolves into its ultimate form. At first it's just slime/ooze. Then it's something like a tentacle/eel. At some point it probably forms an egg, then a facehugger attacks, then it's the same old story we know and love. But by then, the movie is over and everyone is dead. Or it might just drive the crew to madness to kill one another in order to fulfill its needs.

No matter what, I can't wait to find out!

me too! ....and as long as they don't throw midi-chlorians in the mix I'm fine with whatever they come up with
post #3156 of 3199 Old 04-03-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

me too! ....and as long as they don't throw midi-chlorians in the mix I'm fine with whatever they come up with

Yeah, let's hope not.
post #3157 of 3199 Old 04-03-2012, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 330
The discussion thread at AVS for Prometheus is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1155877 It's been active for quite a while. Please keep discussion here focused on the BDs. Thanks.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3158 of 3199 Old 01-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Hate to bring this thread back from the dead but last night we watched Alien (from the boxset) and there was some pretty bad lip sync issues in the beginning of the film (mainly after everyone just wakes up and are sitting around a table eating)

Has this ever been a reported problem before?

Thanks
post #3159 of 3199 Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0424 View Post

Hate to bring this thread back from the dead but last night we watched Alien (from the boxset) and there was some pretty bad lip sync issues in the beginning of the film (mainly after everyone just wakes up and are sitting around a table eating)
Has this ever been a reported problem before?
Thanks

What player do you have? Firmware up to date? Have you tested it in another player or setup? I know that some people reported lip sync issues, but I also know that a lot of dialog in Alien is ADR (like a lot of films back then) which can manifest itself as lip sync issues to very sensitive types.
post #3160 of 3199 Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

What player do you have? Firmware up to date? Have you tested it in another player or setup? I know that some people reported lip sync issues, but I also know that a lot of dialog in Alien is ADR (like a lot of films back then) which can manifest itself as lip sync issues to very sensitive types.

Currently I'm playing it in my Onkyo sp809 and its firmware is up to date.

Thanks
post #3161 of 3199 Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0424 View Post

Hate to bring this thread back from the dead

Why do people always feel bad about posting in sometime-dormant threads? It's what they're for.

I don't feel special...
post #3162 of 3199 Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

Why do people always feel bad about posting in sometime-dormant threads? It's what they're for.

I can appreciate his guilty conscience. If media has taught me anything, it's that bringing things back from the dead will always result in pain, death, and destruction.
post #3163 of 3199 Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

Haha only because the thread was nearly an entire year away from any activity made.

Come to find out via other sources that for some odd reason there has always been a somewhat reported issue with Alien having a lip sync issue when connected through a HT system for some weird reason. Anyways, I made some adjustments and figured it all out.

Thanks anyways guy!
post #3164 of 3199 Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

I can appreciate his guilty conscience. If media has taught me anything, it's that bringing things back from the dead will always result in pain, death, and destruction.

Cant imagine something like that happen on AVS. Now how about the DNR issue with Aliens?
post #3165 of 3199 Old 02-13-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Back in 2011, I purchased Alien when Fox decided to release the series as separate BDs. For years, I have used the THX Optimizer on a few of my SD DVDs. I have discovered that the Alien BD is a THX certified disc. So I thought that they might have included the revised version of the THX Optimizer. I browsed the 1979 and 2003 menus. I couldn't find it in the root menus, the setup menus, nor in extras. Is there a THX Optimizer on the Alien BD? If so, please tell me how to get to it. If not, please confirm that it's not on there. If it's not on there, you'd think a THX certified disc would always have the THX Optimizer on it.
post #3166 of 3199 Old 02-15-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The Alien BD does have the thx calibrating feature although I suspect the actual bars and audio is a copy of the dvd bars and audio.
post #3167 of 3199 Old 02-15-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post

The Alien BD does have the thx calibrating feature although I suspect the actual bars and audio is a copy of the dvd bars and audio.
How do you get to it? I tried under Extras and Setup, both in the 1979 theatrical and 2003 director's cut sub menus, but couldn't find it.
post #3168 of 3199 Old 02-15-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I've never seen the Optimizer on any Blu-ray disc. To my knowledge, they've never included it.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #3169 of 3199 Old 02-15-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

The Alien Blu-ray is a THX certified title. So either they didn't put the optimizer on it for some strange reason, or else, it's hidden somewhere and we just have to keep looking for it.
post #3170 of 3199 Old 02-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

I've never seen the Optimizer on any Blu-ray disc. To my knowledge, they've never included it.

It's on the Terminator 2 disc, the one released before the Skynet Edition. I've read the Skynet Edition does have it on there but I don't own it so I can't confirm it.

I think the Alien DVDs have the optimizer but not the blu-rays.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #3171 of 3199 Old 02-15-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

It's on the Terminator 2 disc, the one released before the Skynet Edition. I've read the Skynet Edition does have it on there but I don't own it so I can't confirm it.

I think the Alien DVDs have the optimizer but not the blu-rays.
Maybe that's THX's way of making you buy their THX calibration Blu-ray disc or something. Oh well. If anyone finds it on the US BD release of Alien, please let us know how to get to it. Thanks.
post #3172 of 3199 Old 02-16-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

How do you get to it? I tried under Extras and Setup, both in the 1979 theatrical and 2003 director's cut sub menus, but couldn't find it.

My bad, it's not there nor on the star wars bd I tried. Guess I better get off the drugs...
post #3173 of 3199 Old 02-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I just checked a couple of my THX certified discs (Avatar Collector's Edition and Titanic) and they do not have it.

You could try downloading some stuff from here - http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #3174 of 3199 Old 02-16-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I ended up just using ones I gathered or made myself. You can download brightness/contrast test images off the internet, and the ones for color saturation. I made a version of the color/tint image that you use with the glasses. Stuck 'em all on a USB stick and plugged it into the BD player.

post #3175 of 3199 Old 02-18-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 423
The premise of THX Optimizer was inherently flawed. They wanted you to adjust your display's calibration for every individual disc you watch. You're better off buying a dedicated calibration disc and using one set of calibration settings for everything.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3176 of 3199 Old 02-18-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I never understood why the settings were different from disc to disc. That's one reason I just use my own set of images to accomplish the same thing.

post #3177 of 3199 Old 02-19-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

The premise of THX Optimizer was inherently flawed. They wanted you to adjust your display's calibration for every individual disc you watch. You're better off buying a dedicated calibration disc and using one set of calibration settings for everything.

I agree with the last sentence. Correct me if I am wrong, the purpose of the Optimizer was to provide test patterns for people that might not other wise have them. The idea that each THX film needs "optimizing" is kind of against the grain of what THX is about, and I seriously doubt that the MONSTERS INC Optimizer on DVD is any different to the one on the DVD of FINDING NEMO. With all the titles on DVD anyway, I seemed to get the same settings disc to disc.

That said, a special THX CARS edition was sent out to all that provided the ISB of their CARS DVD because it apparently did not show below video black (the drop shadow) on the PLUGE pattern. That disc was NTSC only and even though my copy was PAL.

The T2 BD Optimizer was also reported to have a fault but I am not sure excatly what that fault was. The Contrast pattern???

THX's come back was that they can not be responsible for what a production house does with the media after it leaves them.

I have a few copies of THX CALIBRATOR on BD and quite like the THX TUNE UP app for apple, though it does not have half the patterns found on CALIBRATOR BD. I am yet to get my hands on the version for Android.

In the end, there is no substitute for a proper 6500K calibration with a colorimeter, something you can not do with a test disc alone.

Having said that, I don't find ALIENS tealified either...

Sorry to bring up a sore point or go OT. Back to ALIEN.

Mark Techer

I love my Constant Image Height system!
post #3178 of 3199 Old 02-19-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX View Post

I agree with the last sentence. Correct me if I am wrong, the purpose of the Optimizer was to provide test patterns for people that might not other wise have them. The idea that each THX film needs "optimizing" is kind of against the grain of what THX is about, and I seriously doubt that the MONSTERS INC Optimizer on DVD is any different to the one on the DVD of FINDING NEMO. With all the titles on DVD anyway, I seemed to get the same settings disc to disc.

THX has since purged the text from their web site, however the original instructions for Optimizer stated that the test patterns on a given disc applied only to that specific disc, and may vary from those on another disc. Viewers were expected to recalibrate their displays for every DVD.

The argument was that picture quality attributes such as color and contrast could drift from what they looked like in the studio due to variances in authoring and replication down the chain, and that the only way to ensure proper calibration was to master the test patterns along with the movie every single time and keep them together through the entire process.

This was just not a realistic or feasible expectation for viewers to live up to. Frankly, it was a very analog mentality that had little relevance in the digital realm, where the bits on the studio's home video encoding master are the same bits that get pressed to the disc.
Quote:
In the end, there is no substitute for a proper 6500K calibration with a colorimeter, something you can not do with a test disc alone.

Agreed.
Quote:
Having said that, I don't find ALIENS tealified either...

The Aliens Blu-ray practically doesn't have any colors in it other than teal.

Josh Z

post #3179 of 3199 Old 02-19-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Internet Archive to the rescue! Here is the Optimizer page from the THX web site as it appeared in December of 2006:

http://web.archive.org/web/20061201170205/http://www.thx.com/mod/products/dvd/optimizerIntro.html

(Bolding emphasis mine.)

"THX Optimizer consists of a series of tests that make it easier to fine-tune the audio and video performance of a home theater system. But best of all is that the signals used are equal to the final reference levels set during the mastering of each individual release. Thus, the system's performance can be tailored to each specific movie. As a result, the movie is seen as the director intended."

Josh Z

post #3180 of 3199 Old 02-19-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I get the same results whether using the optimizer off my Star Wars SD DVD or my Alien SD DVD. For me, the best screens to work with are the Brightness and Monitor Performance screens.
Reply Blu-ray Software