Predator Ultimate Hunter Edition comparison *PIX* - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 06:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Whoa Nelly!

This fine wine is really good - it tastes like it was bottled yesterday!
post #183 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 06:53 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Wow, quite the change. Honestly, though, I can't remember what it looked like in the theater. Why the difference in color on these releases, though? Removing the grain for the average movie watcher I can at least understand (not condone), but changing the color timing that much?

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #184 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Not everything in the new release is possible by just pumping contrast. Im sure they have done alot of filtering (including contrast and levels)that could be done at home. But that doesnt explain everything. Some new detail does exist in areas that is blown out on the old release.

http://www.dark-red.de/predator/b_u_predator_10.html

Sorry, but I don't see anything in that photograph to support the hypothesis that a new master was created for this release. If anything it is more evident that one hasn't. High frequency detail is unchanged. I've seen a few other frames that give a better illusion of enhanced detail, but it just appeared an exaggeration of sharper edges from the white level boosting and deepened blacks - not all that different than artificial sharpening to enhance high contrast transitions. While colors are directly affected by contrast tweaking as well, that too is something that can be easily manipulated in the digital world without having to spend the money to properly revisit the original elements.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #185 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Wow, quite the change. Honestly, though, I can't remember what it looked like in the theater. Why the difference in color on these releases, though? Removing the grain for the average movie watcher I can at least understand (not condone), but changing the color timing that much?

I don't remember how it looked in cinemas either. But considering the scene, blue doesn't seem to fit. Unless a red flare or something was involved, I'm not sure red does either, though.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #186 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 09:33 AM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Much like everything else.. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.

post #187 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

I don't remember how it looked in cinemas either. But considering the scene, blue doesn't seem to fit. Unless a red flare or something was involved, I'm not sure red does either, though.

i'm going on what i remember for that scene it's been a few months since i last watched the movie but the sparks were from the predator firing his weapon into the trees

i'd think a more subtle and a bit more towards yellowish orange would fit more naturally in that scene

post #188 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishFury View Post

i'm going on what i remember for that scene it's been a few months since i last watched the movie but the sparks were from the predator firing his weapon into the trees

i'd think a more subtle and a bit more towards yellowish orange would fit more naturally in that scene

I was thinking the same thing - that, or something more black and white.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #189 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Wow. This one is flat out terrible. In post #181, Arnold does not even look real in the "new" version. Is there any hope for Aliens?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #190 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Wow. This one is flat out terrible. In post #181, Arnold does not even look real in the "new" version. Is there any hope for Aliens?

its one short moment, dont have a heart attack.
post #191 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooms View Post

The most horrifying uses of DNR are generally during the opening scenes IMO.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #192 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooms View Post

Too late he's dead, bring on the lawsuits, death by DNR.
post #193 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I criticized the MPEG-2 version when it was released and had a lot of expectations for the new version. What a shame. This one should be called "Ultimate Madame Tussauds Edition".

I really feel bad for the eager buyers and Xylon for having to cap this piece of crap.

Blu-ray : 340
post #194 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post

Blu-ray.com's forum is quite sad. It seems that half of the people think it looks "awesome".

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mov...-29th-176.html

Forum is probably full of little kids who want movies to look like video games.

Anyone, regardless of age, would probably be more impressed by this release if A. they don't understand film and/or don't appreciate its natural aesthetics, or B. are using a display too small for the loss of detail to be as objectionable, which is probably the vast majority of consumers.

I don't blame anyone for subjectively preferring a grain-free release. I even understand Fox's inclination to give them one from a business perspective. But I don't respect the decision in the slightest, and it's a little disheartening to think it could become a trend, to see a major studio that should care more about the art, stoop to deliberately maligning the integrity of a film, just to appease the least educated, vocal majority. The majority who prefer this release aren't singing its praises because they subjectively don't like grain, but more clearly because they don't understand film and naively assume grain to be some sort of defect.

There are many factors to blame, from absence of education by film industry, to deleterious practices long ago established for DVD, to the hardware industry, where companies like HQV practically vilify any video-noise for the sake of pimping their own noise reduction circuitry. But catering to ignorance belittles our desire to learn and our longing to more fully embrace our favorite films in their most faithful fidelity possible.

One of the first things any writer is warned against is underestimating your reader. And, that seems precisely what Fox has done here by humoring our ignorance for the sake of sales. It's no different than tweaking DVDs ten years ago: filtering the video and then adding edge enhancement because they could get away with it when the overwhelming majority of consumer displays were no bigger than 36 inches. For years, DVDs were authored to look their best on the worst displays they would be used on, rather than the best. Unfortunately, when most people seem to think a 50 inch TV is gigantic, the most common home display sizes may never grow large enough for more people to realize how insulting this release is.

Again, nothing has changed. Reviewers used to get chastised for "nitpicking" edge-enhancement too - until more people started buying displays capable enough that they could see what we were complaining about.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #195 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 05:25 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

Too late he's dead, bring on the lawsuits, death by DNR.

Which oddly enough (in medial speak) stands for Do Not Resuscitate.
post #196 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
post #197 of 574 Old 07-04-2010, 10:26 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Yes, and that forum is probably at least partially responsible for what happened on this Predator release. They used to bash the original Predator constantly.

While I'm not hitting the panic button just quite yet, releases like this certainly aren't doing much for my hope that bluray won't eventually become a format strictly for the masses.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #198 of 574 Old 07-05-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Sorry, but I don't see anything in that photograph to support the hypothesis that a new master was created for this release. If anything it is more evident that one hasn't. High frequency detail is unchanged. I've seen a few other frames that give a better illusion of enhanced detail, but it just appeared an exaggeration of sharper edges from the white level boosting and deepened blacks - not all that different than artificial sharpening to enhance high contrast transitions. While colors are directly affected by contrast tweaking as well, that too is something that can be easily manipulated in the digital world without having to spend the money to properly revisit the original elements.

Hrmm.. the levels are a bit too high on the MPEG2 rather than the UHE. Check the sparks.. there is more detail in the UHE there, but only because it's been eliminated by the difference in levels.

The floor is also lower in the MPEG2..

The entire MPEG2 scene is encrusted with compression artifacts in that comparison.. looks like crud.

Maybe wait for the ultimate 25th anniversary signature collectors directors cut special edition in 2012?
post #199 of 574 Old 07-05-2010, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Not everything in the new release is possible by just pumping contrast. Im sure they have done alot of filtering (including contrast and levels)that could be done at home. But that doesnt explain everything. Some new detail does exist in areas that is blown out on the old release.

I don't think the source master is stored as 16-235->0-255 expanded YCbCr 4:2:0.
post #200 of 574 Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

this seems to be a real trend and there is really nothing we can do about it unless the filmmakers themselves have a say on BR release quality......

fact is most people out there who have HDTV do not understand GRAIN and expect BR movies to look like SPEED RACER....
post #201 of 574 Old 07-05-2010, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

I don't think the source master is stored as 16-235->0-255 expanded YCbCr 4:2:0.

I dont think the source is stored like that either, but that still doesnt explain the difference. Remember that the UHE also have the same limits and still can present the sparks alot better then this.
post #202 of 574 Old 07-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailergod View Post

this seems to be a real trend and there is really nothing we can do about it unless the filmmakers themselves have a say on BR release quality......

fact is most people out there who have HDTV do not understand GRAIN and expect BR movies to look like SPEED RACER....

Speed racer has massive amounts of fine detail though. They shot it digitally and chose not to artificially add grain so it's not fair to compare speed racer to a DNR'd Predator.
post #203 of 574 Old 07-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector.B View Post

Speed racer has massive amounts of fine detail though. They shot it digitally and chose not to artificially add grain so it's not fair to compare speed racer to a DNR'd Predator.

But the average guy doesn't know that. He is not interested in fine detail but in a popping, 3D-like image.
post #204 of 574 Old 07-05-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz! View Post

Hrmm.. the levels are a bit too high on the MPEG2 rather than the UHE. Check the sparks.. there is more detail in the UHE there, but only because it's been eliminated by the difference in levels.

The floor is also lower in the MPEG2..

The entire MPEG2 scene is encrusted with compression artifacts in that comparison.. looks like crud.

Maybe wait for the ultimate 25th anniversary signature collectors directors cut special edition in 2012?

I think I looked at the two shots backwards the first time, thinking the UCE shot was the original BD and vice-versa. The results seem flipped compared to all the other screenshots I've seen. I'm still not seeing compression artifacts in the shot though, only higher grain density. But the difference between MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 isn't as night and day as some give the later credit.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #205 of 574 Old 07-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone View Post

But the average guy doesn't know that. He is not interested in fine detail but in a popping, 3D-like image.

Bingo. This is what J6P perceives as 'fine film quality'... an image that is bright and bold and practically in 'torch mode', with little to no grain. They want to be 'ooood' and 'ahhhhd', they don't want to have a faithful film representation... they want something that looks pleasing to the eye. "See how much more the color stands out on my awesome new HDTV set!"

This is an extremely important detail that escapes a lot of film enthusiasts on a forum like this. Our perception of great quality versus the J6P perception is vastly different. Predator to those masses is probably going to be an 'unimaginable restoration that makes the movie look as if it were filmed yesterday'... where we all obviously think it's absolute 100% garbage.

On another note, I bought this Blu-ray because I was too curious to see what this train wreck looked like in motion. I haven't openned it yet however, and I plan on actually returning this and buying something else. I just can't go through with watching this.
post #206 of 574 Old 07-05-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

On another note, I bought this Blu-ray because I was too curious to see what this train wreck looked like in motion. I haven't openned it yet however, and I plan on actually returning this and buying something else. I just can't go through with watching this.

As you've got it, why on earth don't you at least see for yourself what it looks like? I've seen it and am perfectly happy with it.
post #207 of 574 Old 07-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Because I hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE DNR. Even the jungle shots that aren't close-up shots of faces don't have any grain. You see minor details from the jungle background that were there, are now smudged away. Even if this was a 'great' looking transfer (which it isn't), they've entirely destroyed the grain structure in every single screenshot I've seen, and at this point, I've seen plenty of screenshots that show what most of the major sequences in the film look like. As an advocate of 'give it to me accurate' as opposed to 'give it to me grain free and in torch mode', I will not enjoy this Blu-ray. And even if I WAS curious enough to open it and watch it, I cannot return it at that point, and use the money for something else I'd like to own on Blu-ray instead. There are far better things out there that are worth my time and money, and being that I actually own the original Predator Blu-ray release, I dont' need this DNR travesty.
post #208 of 574 Old 07-05-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
We keep talking about the director's intent and stuff... To an extent it does have some sort of meaning, but most of the time the director doesn't "own" his movie. It's the studio's property. So the studio can do whatever it wants with the 'product'. And if the studio wants to remove all traces of grain then so be it and the director is just entitled to his opinion but he can't make the crucial decisions. Unless you're Spielberg, Cameron, Scott, Scorsese (?), or one of todays big players and big moneymakers like Nolan, Bay etc who have the 'power' and who get to supervise and or approve the home video releases, then it's always the studio who make the decisions. In the case of older movies, even when todays big players weren't as big, then we sometimes end up with weird releases...

I haven't watched it yet. Rent or buy I don't know. The only thing I know is that I love the film and the lack of extras of the previous release keep me from buying it... From what I've seen, the new one has decent extras. I've heard opinions around me about the new version from all sides, people perfectly happy with it, people who think it's unwatchable. But all these people love movies, so I guess to each his own.

I was just thinking out loud here... It's noon and I'm hungry now!...
post #209 of 574 Old 07-05-2010, 10:01 AM

Liked: 14
I felt that I needed to reply to this thread since it's been such a contentious release. I just purchased and have watched the Predator UHE blu ray. I have watched the original Predator blu ray release as well to compare.

To be honest, I agree with a mix of what various folks have said here: some scenes look downright awful (e.g. early scenes with Arnold and Carl) where the DNR has completely wiped away grain and detail, leaving them waxy-looking. On the other hand, most of the later scenes are actually quite acceptable, if not downright great given that they still exhibit a lot of fine detail that was somewhat obscured due to distracting amounts of noise on the original release which may have been due to a combination of the heavy grain and the poor mpeg-2 encoding. Many later scenes with close-ups of Arnold are actually quite impressive for a movie of this vintage and production quality. Hair, skin texture, sweat, etc. are all present, very much opposite of the early scenes.

Is DNR used excessively? Yes... but only at times and mostly in those early scenes. What's worse? The wavering camera work and lack of consistent film quality and camera focus. That, however, is a result of a fairly low budget production. They did only have about $18 million for the entire movie after all.

The screenshots showing excessive DNR are totally accurate representations, but only of those scenes. The remainder are actually much better off and other screenshots folks have shown are good examples of those.

The issue about director's intent is a strange one to me. Do we really believe that if the crew had a bigger budget that they would have preferred to have the movie look the way it did originally? I, for one, doubt that some of the special effects (like the sad, superimposed red glow that occurs when the Predator "sharpens" its wristblades with the lasers) was intentional. I don't believe that the wavering film quality, grain structure, and poor camera work (e.g. totally out of focus and grainy as hell waterfall scene) were intended to be that way, either.

Overall, I think it's a problematic release... but it's based on problematic material as a source, and we shouldn't forget that. Thus, the disc is quite acceptable to me as many scenes are quite exceptional. It's not perfect, and ideally the DNR should have been toned down for the early scenes, but it's still better than the previous release in my opinion. The collection of included extras is a very nice bonus.
post #210 of 574 Old 07-05-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddle View Post

The issue about director's intent is a strange one to me. Do we really believe that if the crew had a bigger budget that they would have preferred to have the movie look the way it did originally?

I more than agree with you. imo technical limitations or compromises, of any sort, are not to be confused with what was intended by the filmmaker(s). Sometimes it's just not simple to separate the two, what's intentional and what's not.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page