post #61 of 67 Old 08-07-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

My wife refuses to watch it based on the foul language alone and sadly I'm unable to change her mind about it. Too bad that she's going to miss out on such a great show. I'm now watching the extra features material that came with this blu-ray set and plan to re-watch the entire series at some point in the near future. This show has deeply aroused my curiosity about the real Deadwood and its history, so I've been busy with online research as well.

My wife was initially the same way. It took about 3 episodes until she got comfortable enough with the language, and then she became a big fan. It helped that she grew up around the Black Hills and was interested in the history. The Elizabethean dialect mixed with cursing actually became one of the major reasons to watch the show. I've done a bit of research myself, and I've been there a few times, it really does have a fascinating past.

This is a good site with some history of Deadwood:

South Dakota Legends: Rough & Tumble Deadwood

Be sure to check out:

HBO's Deadwood: Fact & Fiction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thanks for posting those links, scolumbo... lots of very good information there! cool.gif

oz
post #63 of 67 Old 08-07-2013, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Folks, we're here to talk about the BDs. Everything else has been discussed many times over in various other forums/threads. No need to do it again in yet another thread. If for some reason you haven't had enough or still "feel the need", please post here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=deadwood or some other Deadwood thread in that forum. Thanks.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #64 of 67 Old 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

This blu-ray package is really quite a nice set. Sometimes, the cardboard inserts for the discs can be problematic, but I personally thought the video and audio itself in most episodes were excellent. Not done yet with all the included extra features, but I'm happy with what I've seen thus far. Caught this package on sale for about $64 recently, so quite happy with the purchase price and must say that it's currently one of my most prized blu-ray packages.

oz
post #65 of 67 Old 08-07-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

This blu-ray package is really quite a nice set. Sometimes, the cardboard inserts for the discs can be problematic, but I personally thought the video and audio itself in most episodes were excellent. Not done yet with all the included extra features, but I'm happy with what I've seen thus far. Caught this package on sale for about $64 recently, so quite happy with the purchase price and must say that it's currently one of my most prized blu-ray packages.

Ok, you're making me want to pull out the box set and give it a view. I'm interested to see how much improved the PQ and SQ of the BDs are compared to when it was shown on HBO. Plus, I haven't seen any of the extras yet.

[Warning: off-topic comment ahead.] I still have my Star & Bullock Hardware t-shirt that I bought a few years ago. I had a guy at the grocery store just recently come up to me and say: I loved that c*cks*cker Al Swearengen.
post #66 of 67 Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

Ok, you're making me want to pull out the box set and give it a view. I'm interested to see how much improved the PQ and SQ of the BDs are compared to when it was shown on HBO. Plus, I haven't seen any of the extras yet.

I never saw a single episode on HBO so can't give any direct comparison but have read comments by others that have seen the series on both, and they indicated that the HBO presentation didn't come close to the quality presented on this blu-ray set. Hope those comments prove to be true for you, too, when you get around to watching it on blu-ray. Do let us know what you think.

oz
post #67 of 67 Old 08-07-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Because I had bought the DVDs of each Deadwood season as they were released, I resisted buying the BDs until Best Buy had a half price sale a little over a year ago. The BD set was money well spent. Unfortunately, though, I have seen it only once because I loaned it to my daughter and haven't been able to get it back.smile.gif
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page