*Remastered* Gladiator 10th Anniversary Pics and Comparison (Dutch BD) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1203 Old 07-19-2010, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

I don't give a sh!t if you agree or not. It's my opinion and calling it false is arrogant and pointless.

Well, you sure made the statement that "Braveheart is not the film Gladiator is" implying that it's not as good from which you base your reasoning from. You opened yourself up to responses like that.

I'll add to it: Braveheart trumps Gladiator, but I consider both epic movies. Both deserve awesome transfers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1203 Old 07-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The resolution looks to be at least twice better....
post #183 of 1203 Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Gladiator kicks Bravehearts ass imho.....

post #184 of 1203 Old 07-19-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Sujay,
Those aren't the same shots I was referring to.
Plus those shots aren't even of the same film frame but they are representative.
Clearly the top left frame has a bad, hard look.
On the right frame there is more actual detail on the leather, his tunic and the image isn't blown out.

On the lower frames there is bad EE on the left frame and it is not as clear\\well- defined as the frame on the right.
There is clearly more detail in Commodus' clothing and everywhere else.

You're trying to make an argument where there is none.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #185 of 1203 Old 07-19-2010, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Prove to me that the "resolution" is superior.
The original grab does not have the hard look of a sharpened image.
Sharpening doesn't make detail where there isn't any.

Prove the obvious It reveals finer details
Sharpening does not make detail, but it does make it more visible. As my manipulated image shows, the detail is there.
post #186 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 01:05 AM

Liked: 10
The new images look like photo's, the old images look like a youtube video.
post #187 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 03:26 AM

Just had my copy from Mediadis drop through the letterbox so for those wanting to order they definitely have stock of the remastered version even though it is still listed as a pre-order.
post #188 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenUK View Post

The new images look like photo's, the old images look like a youtube video.

Like Ugly, processed video
post #189 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujay View Post

That should be clear to anyone who has seen the original Blu-ray.

I haven't seen the original Blu-ray, but in the first pic the hairs on face-and-neck are clearly visible, and in the 2nd I can see some sort of pattern on Crowe's outfit. I'm not all that critical myself but I'd say the remaster is "wildly better".
post #190 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post

Is this the correct one to order?

http://www.mediadis.com/video/detail.asp?id=209107

I don't think thats the one you want. Look at the release date: 10/1/2009.

New one should have a July 2010 release.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
HD DVD player: Toshiba HD-XA2(2)
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, PS3
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)

post #191 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Nope that is the old one, you want the one that is EUR18.99 and listed as the Anniversary Edition with a release date of 01/07/2010
post #192 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

For now this is the safest one to get:

http://www.mediadis.com/video/detail.asp?id=538217

+ Some more screenshots. Pease note that these are not exact frames as someone else took some of the shots of the old version for me, and it was quite difficult to avoid some of the motion in the frame - but I think you'll get the point.

http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/...8614/picture:2

Direct links:

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/8729/110.png
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/8077/118d.png
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5958/112d.png
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7862/114k.png
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/106/1112p.png
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7390/1111sn.png
post #193 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzRoy View Post

The brightness does seem iffy at times. There's no way to really know which is more accurate for that. But the newer Dutch transfer clearly shows more detail and shows the grain better. Look at the hair and eyebrows of Commodus: the old one kind of blurs the strands together, but the new one couldn't be more definitive.

It doesn't look at all like fake grain to me, not sure why someone thinks that. If this was regrained after being degrained, you would expect detail loss from the DNR. Detail seems totally unscathed. People always expect grain to be really big and dark like 80s films, but this is from a much newer type of film.

I was only talking about the extended scenes being fake grained.

Genius is an insult to my intelligence!

post #194 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 12:07 PM

From The Digital Bits today:

Quote:

All right... now for that awesome Gladiator news. If you've been reading any of the A/V enthusiast forums in the last 24 hours or so, you may now be aware that Paramount has just released the new remastered Gladiator Blu-ray in Holland. Fans will know that the previous U.S. Blu-ray release - a DreamWorks title distributed by Paramount, with elements provided by Universal - featured a (shall we say) somewhat disappointing and recycled high-def transfer. The good news is that, after that mess unfolded, a brand new 4K transfer of the film was done with fresh elements, and the title was re-authored to include it. It's this new transfer that's now available on Blu-ray in Europe, and early word is it's spectacular. Here's a link to a good online screenshot comparison of the new and old Blu-rays. (The first image that appears is the old Blu-ray - roll your cursor over it to see the same shot on the new Blu-ray). As expected, the difference is pretty shocking. You see? There IS a real quality difference when a studio spends a little extra money on the A/V presentation of a Blu-ray to get it right.

Anyway, word (and visual proof of) the new transfer appearing on Blu-ray in Holland has resulted in hundreds of concerned U.S. Gladiator fans e-mailing us in the last day or so, understandably hoping/pleading/begging for any information as to when they might be able to get their hands on the new disc here in the States. So here's the AWESOME news: Paramount is about to initiate an exchange program for anyone who would like to swap their previous Gladiator Blu-ray for an otherwise identical disc with the new transfer. Here's their official statement:

"We are implementing a limited exchange program. This program is only for those consumers that may have preferential issues with some of the technical DVNR (digital video noise reduction) and EE (edge enhancement) choices made in the original source transfer, and so would prefer to exchange it for one that addresses those preferences in a different manner.

While the version that we originally distributed was of the highest quality, some enthusiasts may prefer to view it without the Edge Enhancement and DVNR implemented as standard process in bringing the film to hi-def. This new master resolves those issues."

[Editor's Note: I'm waiting for confirmation from Paramount Home Entertainment on the correct customer service phone number to use and other details. I'll update this text this afternoon as soon as it comes in, so be sure to check back later.]

Are you not entertained? Glad I waited on this debacle...
post #195 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 212
So.....it's not actually getting a standalone US release then?

Oh, and the blasé tone of Paramount's statement confirms to me that their mostly brutal treatment of their back catalogue was entirely intentional. I know that someone doesn't just dial up the DNR by accident, as post-houses usually have specific briefs to conform to, but I had a hard time believing that they were out to ruin movie after movie after movie. I thought it was just old habits dying hard, Paramount not knowing any better.

But after that nonchalant statement re: the horrendously bad DNR and EE on Gladiator, it's obvious that their mandate actually is/was to de-grain stuff as much as humanly possible. I know that they're on the road to recovery after the stunning quality of Braveheart - and heck, Gladiator isn't even their mess - but I've got a stack of Paramount movies with sickeningly obvious DNR, so where's my freshly-transferred replacement for every damned one of them? Can o' worms, baby, can o' worms.

Hell, forget about a replacement program, as I'd gladly buy, say, the Trek movies all over again at full price if it meant getting them LOOKING LIKE FILM. Tossers. The worst thing is those Trek masters exist in a non-DNR'ed state; the beautifully textured clips in the new 'making of' featurettes are proof of that. We don't even need a new 4K scan or other such stuff.
post #196 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While the version that we originally distributed was of the highest quality, some enthusiasts may prefer to view it without the Edge Enhancement and DVNR implemented as standard process in bringing the film to hi-def. This new master resolves those issues."

Highest quality.

At least their stepping up and offering a replacement.

post #197 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 12:35 PM

Liked: 15
The "...standard process in bringing the film to hi-def." Should not be to run the film through the Play-Doh Fun Factory.
post #198 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 12:38 PM

Pretty sad that their sapphire line which is designated as their high quality transfer group is automatically getting DNR/EE as part of how they "bring the film to hi-def". If they are SOOO CONCERNED that people would flip at having a higher quality transfer as the default version, how about they just include two versions in each sapphire edition, charge 5 bucks more, and give the people the choice?

Its a total preference, the other one was high quality, etc... yeah sure.
post #199 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Well kudos to Paramount for offering an exchange program. Honestly they didn't have to.

I'd assumed earlier that if individuals called directly they'd probably be able to get a replacement under a sort of silent exchange system, but I was absolutely not expecting an official replacement program. I wonder how much of this is Paramount being gracious and how much it's Paramount patching up the new butt hole that Mr. Scott undoubtedly ripped them when he finally got around to the "Sapphire" edition of his film.

One thing for sure, this eliminates the "They'll release a better version to double dip" theory that some people were throwing around when they saw the first version. That sapphire release was gonna be it, so I bet this is their way of making peace with Mr. Scott.

We'll see if Paramount is genuinely interested in customers and film quality if they offer a Star Trek replacement program at some point. Other than II, those are at least as awful as the sapphire Gladiator.
post #200 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:

While the version that we originally distributed was of the highest quality, some enthusiasts may prefer to view it without the Edge Enhancement and DVNR implemented as standard process in bringing the film to hi-def. This new master resolves those issues.

Un-be-lievable...
post #201 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestevenson View Post

Pretty sad that their sapphire line which is designated as their high quality transfer group is automatically getting DNR/EE as part of how they "bring the film to hi-def". If they are SOOO CONCERNED that people would flip at having a higher quality transfer as the default version, how about they just include two versions in each sapphire edition, charge 5 bucks more, and give the people the choice?

Its a total preference, the other one was high quality, etc... yeah sure.

The packaging could read:

Version #1: De-grained digital mess.

Version #2: Film like with no additional processing.

post #202 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
So, are they going to release the remastered version for sale in the US, or do I have to purchase the craptacular version and trade up via the exchange program?

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #203 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Wasn't expecting this at all.

I don't agree on their statement the tiniest bit, but my respect definitely goes to Paramount
for offering a replacement program - They seem to have upped their game since their earlier lackluster catalog attempts.

Please let it be clear that a high quality product should not only be available to a select group of costumers, but to all.
In any case, I am proud of what this select group of enthusiasts, who refused to accept lackluster as a norm, has achieved - a nationwide replacement program.
post #204 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

Wasn't it actually a little more comforting somehow to think that they were 'accidentally' screwing up their transfers.

The fact that they say it was fully intentional is just downright disturbing.

Its just some type of damage control from their part. This way they dont have to admit that they screwed up. because if it were intentional, why didnt they do the same to the extended scenes?

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #205 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Thanks for the clarification Petmic and Indiana, and for the link BsRoz. Placed my order, total came to $28.12 with shipping to US.

Did you use PayPal to pay for this???

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #206 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Well sure, they're not gonna 'fess up and say 'Yup, the original release was garbage!', because then everyone who hears about it will go bananas, and not just the 'losers who care about this stuff' 'enthusiasts'.

But given their long track record of DNR'ing the **** out of anything that moves catalogue-wise, that statement sent a little chill down my spine.
post #207 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

Its just some type of damage control from their part. This way they dont have to admit that they screwed up. because if it were intentional, why didnt they do the same to the extended scenes?

Funny thing is that the older extended scenes actually do show some filtering and sharpening in comparison to the new version.
post #208 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

But given their long track record of DNR'ing the **** out of anything that moves catalogue-wise, that statement sent a little chill down my spine.

Huh? I've seen far more Paramount catalog titles without a hint of DNR than otherwise.

I wouldn't read too deep into their statement. The original release was simple lack of quality control, not some calculated decision to pretty up the film. Clearly, it still wasn't very pretty.
post #209 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

So, are they going to release the remastered version for sale in the US, or do I have to purchase the craptacular version and trade up via the exchange program?

That's what I want to know too. I absolutely refused to buy the original crappy release, but I will be all over this one. I'm hoping that they will be slipping this new remaster into the supply chain with some kind of indicator on the box so we can tell which one we're getting. Given the arrogance of that non-apology statement, it's obvious that they won't be touting the virtues of this corrected version a la The Fifth Element remaster. "the version that we originally distributed was of the highest quality." Yeah, right. Even the least educated consumer would see a big quality jump when they look at those screen shot comparisons. It's clear that Paramount is just trying to minimize the amount of money they'll be shelling out to do this exchange. Ignorance is bliss, right guys?

Movies look their best when they look like movies. More Patton-esque remasters!

post #210 of 1203 Old 07-20-2010, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Huh? I've seen far more Paramount catalog titles without a hint of DNR than otherwise.

Lucky you. 90% of my Paramount catalogue collection is badly hit with the DNR stick; all four Jack Ryan movies, Top Gun, Face/Off, Trading Places, Coming To America, Black Rain, Zulu, The Italian Job, 8 out of 10 Star Trek movies, Untouchables and more. As I said, where's my replacement for all these other flicks that got the "standard" Paramount treatment?
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page