Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know nything about this?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003...pf_rd_i=915398

My Basement Home Theater

Now proud owner of an hd-a35 and a
panasonic blu ray 10a and BD35 -format neutral was fun while it lasted :)

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 08-09-2010, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcx View Post

Anyone know nything about this?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003...pf_rd_i=915398

From what I've heard, all three films are in their proper 2.35:1 aspect ratio. But, as is Alliance's wont these days, they're also 1080i, though personally I see no difference between 1080i and p.

I'm planning on picking up the set tomorrow and will post back with more details.

Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to...
post #3 of 58 Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I'm gonna try to rent these. I fear the transfer for the first one will be the crappy HDTV version, which is bad even by those standards. It was used on the Australian disc, and for the German set, which were both 1080p. Like Whiggles says in the link, we've gotta wait until Disney bothers to release it for a transfer that doesn't suck. If we're lucky.
post #4 of 58 Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Any chance of the first one being the unrated cut?

My Basement Home Theater

post #5 of 58 Old 08-09-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Been waiting 10 days for my copy to show up. REALLY hoping Scream doesn't look as ****** as the other HD versions out there, because I don't need a bells-and-whistles special edition. I've got the unrated LD for the uncut version and the commentary, so a barebones theatrical BD will do me just fine - as long as the AV quality is there, of course.

Yeah, 1080i's a bit sucky but if the transfer & encode are competent enough then the deinterlacers in our AV equipment can take care of the rest.
post #6 of 58 Old 08-09-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have the Aussie disc, the audio sounds like a poorly converted PAL soundtrack.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #7 of 58 Old 08-09-2010, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Been waiting 10 days for my copy to show up. REALLY hoping Scream doesn't look as ****** as the other HD versions out there, because I don't need a bells-and-whistles special edition.

You should know better by now than to put any faith in Alliance, if there's any doubt at all!

My rental of the first movie is on its way but won't arrive until next week so I'm sure you'll get to complain before me.
post #8 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I buy almost exclusively from the US as I have been burned on Canadian releases to many times. I buy nothing from Alliance or Maple Pictures who ever the hell they are.
post #9 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

FYI--its 24.99 including shipping and tax at www.cdplus.com ....couldn't resist...

My Basement Home Theater

post #10 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain View Post

I buy nothing from Alliance or Maple Pictures who ever the hell they are.

Maple Pictures is just what Lionsgate calls its Canadian arm. To my knowledge they have only released one exclusive (a Canadian movie with poor PQ), but all their US mirrors are the same discs as Lionsgate.
post #11 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Yeah, I just picked these up locally for $24.99. The movies are on 3 individual discs. It's really a no loose proposition: $8.33 per blu-ray movie. That's the price of an average magazine.

People who won't buy any Alliance title are letting self-righteousness interfere with logic.

I picked up the Alliance release of AMELIE last week for $14.99. Full 1080p, 2.35:1, DTS-HD Master Audio, Commentary track, Making of featurettes, cast interviews, storyboards, trailers and tv spots.

Alliance distributes a whole range of product at various price points. Some are full featured and some are inexpensive value packages.

For $8.33 per disc, I expect I'll get a reasonably good lookiing and entertaining movie.
post #12 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Picked it up today, have yet to watch it. $24.99 is a no lose price but holy **** is the packaging awful.... not the exterior but how the discs are housed. Scream is fine but Scream 2 & 3 are overlapping but without a disc hub. It's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen - they are held in place out the outer edge by being crammed into hard plastic - took me a few tries to get Scream 2 out of the package. Luckily I have some 3 disc BD cases lying around that I'll be using in the future instead.
post #13 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a picture of the packaging. It's not my favorite...I like just plain, ordinary, 1 disc cases. But I do think it's a bit alarmist to say that they are held in place by the outer edges being "crammed into hard plastic". There are tabs holding the discs in place so they are under no pressure during storage. But any type of overlapping package is a nuisance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
post #14 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

People who won't buy any Alliance title are letting self-righteousness interfere with logic.

I picked up the Alliance release of AMELIE last week for $14.99. Full 1080p, 2.35:1, DTS-HD Master Audio, Commentary track, Making of featurettes, cast interviews, storyboards, trailers and tv spots.

Alliance distributes a whole range of product at various price points. Some are full featured and some are inexpensive value packages.

Thanks for the lecture. Exactly how am I supposed to know if I am getting some thing worth while or just **** by looking at the out side of the box? They have had lots of 1080P movies that looked like complete garbage because they used an old transfer. Mean while the Americans got a good transfer. Why should I support a company that likes to deliver second rate crud when it is so easy to support one that puts in some effort especially when I can usually get the American version cheaper?
post #15 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 02:45 PM

Liked: 14
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen so many profanity asterisks in one thread. I'm looking forward to any reports of picture quality (or better yet some comparison screen shots).

Movies look their best when they look like movies. More Patton-esque remasters!

post #16 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Saw this at HMV today for 24.99 and was about to get it until I noticed it just had plain dolby digital. I'll wait for more reviews until I decide whether or not the image quality is worth it
post #17 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc3000 View Post

Picked it up today, have yet to watch it. $24.99 is a no lose price but holy **** is the packaging awful.... not the exterior but how the discs are housed. Scream is fine but Scream 2 & 3 are overlapping but without a disc hub. It's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen - they are held in place out the outer edge by being crammed into hard plastic - took me a few tries to get Scream 2 out of the package. Luckily I have some 3 disc BD cases lying around that I'll be using in the future instead.

I couldn't care if I snapped Scream 3 into itty bitty pieces, but the other two are precious to me.
post #18 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainjoe View Post

...I noticed it just had plain dolby digital.

The world famous Alliance typo rears it's ugly head yet again.

Perhaps the one thing everybody can agree upon is that the people who produce Alliance cover art are completely illiterate.

I just fired up the home theater and put each disc in for a quick check.

Each and every one has a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack!

I suspected as much. I had read somewhere else that these were DTS-HD MA sound. Oddly, the discs default to DD 5.1 so you have to either choose the DTS-HD MA from the menu or toggle through the audio (which has English DD5.1, French DD5.1 and English 5.1 DTS-HD MA).

I just ran each disc for about a minute or two so I can't form a real opinion on image quality. I can tell you that all three movies are 2.35:1.
post #19 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Liked: 50
Why people keep funding Alliance I will never know
post #20 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

The DTS MA certainly wasn't great on Scream - very ho hum dvd quality track. I wasn't old enough to see the original in the theatre (and the non-anamorphic dvd isn't much to compare to) but it looks to me like there is definitely some DNR that has been applied. There is little to no grain in the entire movie and a lot of it seems very soft, not a lot of detail on people's faces etc. Better than the dvd but certainly not a homerun.
post #21 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Wow who ever does their cover art QC should be fired because today they lost a sale!
post #22 of 58 Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just ran each disc for about a minute or two so I can't form a real opinion on image quality. I can tell you that all three movies are 2.35:1.

Thanks. So in short they're all 2.35 and DTS-MA, and they're basically $8/movie. Sounds like a purchase to me.

Even when they come out on BD here Buena Vista (or Miramax) will surely mark it up to $60 for the set or something along those lines. I don't need to spend double that for extras.
post #23 of 58 Old 08-11-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the lecture. Exactly how am I supposed to know if I am getting some thing worth while or just **** by looking at the out side of the box? They have had lots of 1080P movies that looked like complete garbage because they used an old transfer. Mean while the Americans got a good transfer. Why should I support a company that likes to deliver second rate crud when it is so easy to support one that puts in some effort especially when I can usually get the American version cheaper?

And where are the American versions of the Scream movies? Or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind? Or Gosford Park, Shakespeare in Love, The English Patient, The Others, Chocolat, The Faculty, Cold Mountain, Swingers, From Dusk Till Dawn, Trainspotting, etc. etc.?

If they could actually bothered to release even half of those titles, I might agree with you.

And frankly, I'm more confident buying Alliance catalogue titles these days than I am Universal.

post #24 of 58 Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

I watched the first SCREAM last night.

I'd say the biggest sin is edge enhancement (though I've seen a lot worse). There is DNR but I don't want to quantify it (argument about what constitutes a lot or a little usually aren't productive). The quick version is: too much digital processing in general. Although, having said that, you could make the same comment about many, if not most, BDs.

The transfer is not without it's strong points. I thought the color was just about perfect. Excellent flesh tones and generally solid color throughout. I also thought the contrast general appearance of the film was right on. Nothing looked washed out or boosted.

The audio was relatively lackluster but that's not to be unexpected. It is basically a 1996 teen horror flick front loaded with screams and dialogue. There's not much opportunity to use the surrounds.

I think this is a reasonable effort and a very good value. If I'd paid $24.99 for a digibook special edition of Scream, I might find more cause to gripe. But we can't pretend that price and availability aren't factors. Not every old teen horror flick is at the top of list for restoration and new transfer. Considering this is a fairly good looking package (though I haven't fully viewed 2 and 3 yet) and it's for sale now, I'm quite happy.
post #25 of 58 Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They have had lots of 1080P movies that looked like complete garbage because they used an old transfer. Mean while the Americans got a good transfer.

That's simply not true at all.

Almost all of the Alliance issues are with the Canadian exclusives where the Americans got NOTHING.

With a couple of exceptions, Alliance has replaced weak transfers with better transfers when they became available. Obvious examples would be SIN CITY and A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. We got these as Canadian Exclusives long before the United States. When they became available as new transfer in the U.S., Alliance released them here as well.

The crime committed by Alliance is that they provided a lot of titles long before U.S. versions were available.

And of course, the VAST MAJORITY of Alliance films distributed in Canada are identical to their U.S. counterparts (everything from Shaun of the Dead to The Mist and hundreds more).

But there is not need for argument.

If people don't want the Alliance release of the Scream Trilogy, they can simply order the much superior 1080p U.S. release instead. Problem solved. Right?
post #26 of 58 Old 08-11-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

If people don't want the Alliance release of the Scream Trilogy, they can simply order the much superior 1080p U.S. release instead. Problem solved. Right?

Yep, and that's the plan. I'm totally expecting a U.S. release in April.
post #27 of 58 Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When they became available as new transfer in the U.S., Alliance released them here as well.

And how much money did you save buying the movie twice? And when you go to the store to buy the new upgraded version how do you know that is what you are getting and not old stock with the old transfer? I have no interested in doing an hour of home work just to buy a movie.
post #28 of 58 Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:

I have no interested in doing an hour of home work just to buy a movie.

You should, because sometimes it cuts both ways. For example, if you bought the US version of The Ghost Writer, you got the PG-13 edited cut of the film on a blu-ray/DVD flipper combo. If you bought the Canadian disc, you got the uncensored international version sans flipper.

post #29 of 58 Old 08-11-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

I watched the first SCREAM last night.

I'd say the biggest sin is edge enhancement (though I've seen a lot worse). There is DNR but I don't want to quantify it (argument about what constitutes a lot or a little usually aren't productive). The quick version is: too much digital processing in general. Although, having said that, you could make the same comment about many, if not most, BDs.

The transfer is not without it's strong points. I thought the color was just about perfect. Excellent flesh tones and generally solid color throughout. I also thought the contrast general appearance of the film was right on. Nothing looked washed out or boosted.

The audio was relatively lackluster but that's not to be unexpected. It is basically a 1996 teen horror flick front loaded with screams and dialogue. There's not much opportunity to use the surrounds.

I think this is a reasonable effort and a very good value. If I'd paid $24.99 for a digibook special edition of Scream, I might find more cause to gripe. But we can't pretend that price and availability aren't factors. Not every old teen horror flick is at the top of list for restoration and new transfer. Considering this is a fairly good looking package (though I haven't fully viewed 2 and 3 yet) and it's for sale now, I'm quite happy.

Spot on, Dex. There's EE galore, and yeah, I'd definitely say it's had some DNR applied. That said, fine detail does still creep through - Craven's fondness for big close-ups FTW - and it all holds together pretty well. As you say, it doesn't deviate from the main colour/contrast/brightness levels of existing versions, which is a good thing. And as you also say, I've seen a heck of a lot worse recently from far bigger outfits than Alliance.

If this release were from any other company, I'd be wanting their heads right about now. But this is Alliance, we know what they're about and for the meagre outlay I don't feel in the least bit disappointed. The only downside is having Scream 3 stink up my collection again.
post #30 of 58 Old 08-11-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

If it looks anything like this it should be tossed in the garbage.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page