Star Trek TNG Seasons Remastered on Blu-Ray - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Blu-ray Software > Star Trek TNG Seasons Remastered on Blu-Ray
Fanboyz's Avatar Fanboyz 03:30 PM 08-30-2011
Hang on, I am a huge Trekkie canonist and looove Star Trek '09. It serves as an awesome bookend to Star Trek thus far. Mind you TNG'era Trekkies like me don't take a hardline stance about stuff like TOS-era fans do...

Mr.D's Avatar Mr.D 03:35 PM 08-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

That's what I was meaning... not that it would be impossible... just difficult, and potentially expensive and time-consuming.

Its not difficult , just slightly time consuming and to be honest you could probably have an assistant editor look after it , its not as if they are redoing the creative decision making of the edit.

3 days to scan all the neg ( worse case scenario) couple of days for ingesting , couple of days for logging and marrying up the sound , couple of days for identifying the takes , couple of days to relock the edit and produce a new EDL, Then off to online/DI and dubbing.

From scan to ready for online they can probably do an episode in 2-3 weeks , not including VFX.
Dave Mack's Avatar Dave Mack 03:55 PM 08-30-2011
That's if all the negatives for all the raw footage from all 150 or so episodes has been kept and well catalogued and how well preserved they are after 20+years though.
HDMe2's Avatar HDMe2 09:01 PM 08-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

Its not difficult , just slightly time consuming and to be honest you could probably have an assistant editor look after it , its not as if they are redoing the creative decision making of the edit.

3 days to scan all the neg ( worse case scenario) couple of days for ingesting , couple of days for logging and marrying up the sound , couple of days for identifying the takes , couple of days to relock the edit and produce a new EDL, Then off to online/DI and dubbing.

From scan to ready for online they can probably do an episode in 2-3 weeks , not including VFX.

Nothing you've said here refutes my thoughts, though...

Say it takes 2 weeks per episode... that is nearly 1 year per season... so 7 years for all episodes OR 1 year with 7x manpower. Either way, that's a lot of money to throw at something that you can't see a dime back for 1-7 years (depending on which option you choose to do the work).

In this economy, that's a lot to shell out for something that might be slow to sell... and like I said, the earlier seasons aren't as popular as the later ones... so seasons 1 and 2, for example, aren't likely to be fast sellers except to the completists.
Mr.D's Avatar Mr.D 10:00 PM 08-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

That's if all the negatives for all the raw footage from all 150 or so episodes has been kept and well catalogued and how well preserved they are after 20+years though.

I'd be very surprised if they hadn't. They are very good at keeping neg in the states for TV shows and contrary to popular believe negative is extremely robust as a storage medium.
Mr.D's Avatar Mr.D 10:04 PM 08-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Nothing you've said here refutes my thoughts, though...

Say it takes 2 weeks per episode... that is nearly 1 year per season... so 7 years for all episodes OR 1 year with 7x manpower. Either way, that's a lot of money to throw at something that you can't see a dime back for 1-7 years (depending on which option you choose to do the work).

In this economy, that's a lot to shell out for something that might be slow to sell... and like I said, the earlier seasons aren't as popular as the later ones... so seasons 1 and 2, for example, aren't likely to be fast sellers except to the completists.

Those are tiny numbers in terms of manpower in the TV industry. We are not talking top flight editors here more a conform job. I personally don't have much passion for TNG anyway ( or any of Star Trek apart frrom TOS).

This is something i do for a living , I'm not going on guesswork here.
Dave Mack's Avatar Dave Mack 11:29 PM 08-30-2011
Quote:

I'd be very surprised if they hadn't. They are very good at keeping neg in the states for TV shows and contrary to popular believe negative is extremely robust as a storage medium.

I do hope so.
HDMe2's Avatar HDMe2 12:22 AM 08-31-2011
Quote:

Those are tiny numbers in terms of manpower in the TV industry. We are not talking top flight editors here more a conform job. I personally don't have much passion for TNG anyway ( or any of Star Trek apart frrom TOS).

This is something i do for a living , I'm not going on guesswork here.

I see your location is UK... Under normal circumstances I would agree with you... but I'm seeing companies that are turning a profit still laying off people here in the US... so when the companies that are making money aren't hiring and sometimes are still reducing the workforce... and those people being laid-off are some of the key customers for just this kind of product... I don't see it as a good time to be investing any money.

I couldn't even afford to buy them if they did start releasing them right now... and I bought the DVDs on release day for all of the previous DVD releases of Star Trek stuff... so I think I can speak from the consumer end of things.

In a normal economy, this would happen... but in the current climate, I don't see it as something that they would be willing to invest in when they still have lots of other things they can release on Blu-ray that will not cost them as much.
frostychocolate's Avatar frostychocolate 08:45 PM 09-01-2011
Just saw a very interesting tweet from LeVar Burton in my twitter timeline:

http://twitter.com/#!/levarburton/st...32086326284289

"Stopped by to see how the TNG conversion to HD for Blue Ray was coming along... #mindblown #bydhttmwfi http://moby.to/6nxp3k"

Even though he misspelled blu-ray this sounds very promising!
nick_danger's Avatar nick_danger 06:13 AM 09-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostychocolate View Post

Just saw a very interesting tweet from LeVar Burton in my twitter timeline:

http://twitter.com/#!/levarburton/st...32086326284289

"Stopped by to see how the TNG conversion to HD for Blue Ray was coming along... #mindblown #bydhttmwfi http://moby.to/6nxp3k"

Even though he misspelled blu-ray this sounds very promising!

#butterflyinthesky #flytwiceashigh

That's awesome! It would be nice to know what episode(s) were being converted. Perhaps all of them? Of course, this doesn't mean they're doing a good job. I want to assume, based on TOS, that equal care will be taken wil TNG... Unfortunately, I don't know if Mr. Burton would prefer the initial Predator "Blue-ray" or UHE, so there's no telling exactly what "mind blown" means objectively.

Television City CBS Studio, is that where they worked on TOS Blu-ray?
TyrantII's Avatar TyrantII 12:45 PM 09-02-2011
He's a director, but no idea from that minimal tweet how much he was able to see, or in what technical fashion.
Maxwell Everett's Avatar Maxwell Everett 05:09 PM 09-02-2011
So thedigitalbits is now reporting that the 90 minute pilot, "Encounter at Farpoint" will be on this rumored sampler Blu-ray as well as three other 45 minute episodes.

I guess we'll be seeing something like this very, very soon:

Dave Mack's Avatar Dave Mack 05:16 PM 09-02-2011
Ugh. Farpoint?!?!?
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007 05:17 PM 09-02-2011
Quote:

Ugh. Farpoint?!?!?

Just what I was thinking, what a pile of crap
Maxwell Everett's Avatar Maxwell Everett 05:21 PM 09-02-2011
Quote:

Ugh. Farpoint?!?!?

It's not the greatest episode, I'll give you that. But it is the beginning of it all, so it'll give us a good idea of what to expect on the 1st and 2nd season sets and maybe they'll even branch-in the pilot's VistaVision ILM work, who knows?
Dave Mack's Avatar Dave Mack 05:32 PM 09-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post

It's not the greatest episode, I'll give you that. But it is the beginning of it all, so it'll give us a good idea of what to expect on the 1st and 2nd season sets and maybe they'll even branch-in the pilot's VistaVision ILM work, who knows?

I know and I totally understand it. Just....
Ugh. Farpoint?!?!
XxDeadlyxX's Avatar XxDeadlyxX 05:40 PM 09-02-2011
Great news and at least it's finally confirmation that this is going ahead
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007 05:41 PM 09-02-2011
I don't think I could sit through it again no matter how many P's its in
Daniel Shock's Avatar Daniel Shock 06:20 PM 09-02-2011
I can't wait!! Yeah, Farpoint sucks.... Yes... But for me personally, Farpoint brings back the memory of the one party I had in high school. My junior year. All my band geek friends over to watch NEW star trek on TV! I can't wait to see it again for the first time!
Bill C.'s Avatar Bill C. 07:07 PM 09-02-2011
I want to know what the other three episodes are. Encounter at Farpoint really isn't a bad episode, but it's not exactly a "showpiece" either (as said earlier, though, it's where it all started; I think I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the sampler).
XxDeadlyxX's Avatar XxDeadlyxX 07:33 PM 09-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

I want to know what the other three episodes are. Encounter at Farpoint really isn't a bad episode, but it's not exactly a "showpiece" either (as said earlier, though, it's where it all started; I think I'd be surprised if it wasn't in the sampler).

Well since we know Farpoint is on it now, I doubt that Best of Both World Pt 1 & 2 will be on there... sounds like just 3 normal episodes.

My bets are:

* Where No One Has Gone Before
* Q Who
* Yesterday's Enterprise

Or maybe they will stick with just episodes from Season 1 or 2 to begin with - which would exclude Yesterday's Enterprise.
jayworth's Avatar jayworth 12:05 AM 09-03-2011
I hope the backlash against the Star Wars Blu-rays doesn't negatively affect this effort. I see little/no difference except that fans seem to like the effort to resurrect and "improve" the TNG episodes while fans react with violent regurgitation to the slightest touching of the sacred Star Wars texts.

I am somewhat ambivalent myself. I know what Star Wars was, I know what TNG was. I want my kids to watch both and not feel like they're watching something from daddy's VHS pile in the garage. I'm willing to see reasonable modernization and fixes within the original context of the show/movie.

I don't think most kids would get through TNG as it stands today especially starting from the beginning. It would be the rough equivalent of the black and white Twilight Zone episodes from my youth that I never wanted to watch. (Yes, I like them decades later, but didn't then.) I'm torn between preserving my nostalgia in stone and modernizing to make sure future generations can experience the same essence of the material I enjoyed.
thirdkind's Avatar thirdkind 12:14 AM 09-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayworth View Post

I hope the backlash against the Star Wars Blu-rays doesn't negatively affect this effort. I see little/no difference except that fans seem to like the effort to resurrect and "improve" the TNG episodes while fans react with violent regurgitation to the slightest touching of the sacred Star Wars texts.

Lucas's constant fiddling with Star Wars angers fans because he refuses to make the original theatrical versions available in comparable quality. Star Trek fans accepted the new effects in TOS because the original effects were provided right alongside them. If they'd provided only the new effects, I'm sure there would've been plenty of people flipping out.

Quote:

I am somewhat ambivalent myself. I know what Star Wars was, I know what TNG was. I want my kids to watch both and not feel like they're watching something from daddy's VHS pile in the garage. I'm willing to see reasonable modernization and fixes within the original context of the show/movie.

I don't think most kids would get through TNG as it stands today especially starting from the beginning. It would be the rough equivalent of the black and white Twilight Zone episodes from my youth that I never wanted to watch. (Yes, I like them decades later, but didn't then.) I'm torn between preserving my nostalgia in stone and modernizing to make sure future generations can experience the same essence of the material I enjoyed.

The solution is simple: provide both. Everybody wins and the internet doesn't hate you forever.

Also, I loved The Twilight Zone from the time I was a little kid and didn't care that it was black and white. Let's not go rewriting history in a vain attempt to make it more palatable to today's kids.
HDMe2's Avatar HDMe2 12:23 AM 09-03-2011
I called it way back on Farpoint... I never said it was my favorite... but I had to think if they were picking just a handful of episodes for a sampler to redo, that they would do the pilot episode. It just made sense.

Waiting to see/hear how well I called the rest of them.
colombianlove41's Avatar colombianlove41 03:49 AM 09-03-2011
Since I've become an amateur trek fan, I'm excited about this getting done.
Big J's Avatar Big J 06:38 AM 09-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

Well since we know Farpoint is on it now, I doubt that Best of Both World Pt 1 & 2 will be on there... sounds like just 3 normal episodes.

My bets are:

* Where No One Has Gone Before
* Q Who
* Yesterday's Enterprise

Or maybe they will stick with just episodes from Season 1 or 2 to begin with - which would exclude Yesterday's Enterprise.

Didn't Yesterday's Enterprise win an award? A Hugo or Nebula award or something? If so, that would be a good choice. Plus, its one of my top two personal favorites. :-)
J
gorthocar's Avatar gorthocar 08:43 AM 09-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post

Lucas's constant fiddling with Star Wars angers fans because he refuses to make the original theatrical versions available in comparable quality. Star Trek fans accepted the new effects in TOS because the original effects were provided right alongside them. If they'd provided only the new effects, I'm sure there would've been plenty of people flipping out.

The solution is simple: provide both. Everybody wins and the internet doesn't hate you forever.

I agree. With Star Wars, the closest we could get to the originals in recent years was a DVD rip of the THX edition laserdiscs. Hopefully you have a "zoom" feature in your DVD player or TV because it is not encoded for widescreen TVs, so it is letterboxed and pillarboxed. I think Lucas wants to play make believe in that the originals don't exist in his mind. I wouldn't mind him tweaking them so much as long as he also provided the originals.

Yes, provide both. We have seamless branching technology. We have disc space. Star Trek has generally gotten this bit right with the BD versions of TOS. I expect them to get it right with TNG, but we don't know yet. I'll be disappointed if they don't.
dvdmike007's Avatar dvdmike007 09:09 AM 09-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

Didn't Yesterday's Enterprise win an award? A Hugo or Nebula award or something? If so, that would be a good choice. Plus, its one of my top two personal favorites. :-)
J

It is a classic, along with Descent, Best of Both Worlds, All Good Things, Q Who there are so many classics
pcweber111's Avatar pcweber111 02:20 PM 09-03-2011
Tin Man!!!

*face_tempertantrum*
Big J's Avatar Big J 08:32 AM 09-05-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Tin Man!!!

*face_tempertantrum*

The other of my top two favorites. :-)
J
Tags: Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection First Contact Generations Insurrection Nemes
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop