AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

The war backdrop made it intense

That, and the fact there was some actual serialization, and not just straight episodic content with the occasional multi-part episode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2438 Old 11-03-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

DS9 is by far the best series, when Brooks went bald the show went into overdrive

Quote:

The war backdrop made it intense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

That, and the fact there was some actual serialization, and not just straight episodic content with the occasional multi-part episode.

The first season of DS9 didn't do much for me, but when Sisko went bald, I dunno, it's like the show took on a whole new level of greatness. His acting was fine - I thought he played the short-tempered role very well. The only thing worse than his bark was his bite.

The fact that it was so much more serialized than other STs also made it more interesting to watch. At first I thought, "Sheesh, Star Trek UN Building Edition", but watching the universe unfold around them, the espionage, the kickass Defiant, the battles, and even some of the politics just made for a much more varied yet believable show. Suddenly, Star Trek was no longer shiny white/gray ships with clean surfaces. I dunno, it grew up a little, not as though there weren't bumps along the way of course.

Sisko was definitely a different cat: more Kirk than Picard.
"You hit me! Picard never hit me!"
post #813 of 2438 Old 11-03-2011, 11:28 AM

Liked: 50
This Is All.

Attachment 226954
LL
post #814 of 2438 Old 11-03-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This Is All.

Attachment 226954

That was Gerick? Garrick? Yeah, he was awesome too!

DS9 is a show that would do well opened up to 16:9 if possible. Much more cinematic than TNG, IMO. I wouldn't mind a reframing at all, OAR be damned. Sorry.
post #815 of 2438 Old 11-03-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

The first season of DS9 didn't do much for me, but when Sisko went bald, I dunno, it's like the show took on a whole new level of greatness. His acting was fine - I thought he played the short-tempered role very well. The only thing worse than his bark was his bite.

In the first season, the studio and network heads were exerting more control. Brooks wanted to be bald with the goatee from the beginning, but they insisted that he look the part of a "traditional" clean-cut Star Trek Captain.

The creative team fought for freedom for a while before getting the opportunity to do what they really wanted to. Of course, escaping set in stone episodic cliche is always tough to do if Brannon Braga is involved at any point.
post #816 of 2438 Old 11-03-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:

In the first season, the studio and network heads were exerting more control. Brooks wanted to be bald with the goatee from the beginning, but they insisted that he look the part of a "traditional" clean-cut Star Trek Captain.

The creative team fought for freedom for a while before getting the opportunity to do what they really wanted to. Of course, escaping set in stone episodic cliche is always tough to do if Brannon Braga is involved at any point.

Was it a wig? Or did he shave his head? I always wondered.
post #817 of 2438 Old 11-03-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Shaved

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #818 of 2438 Old 11-03-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I think he meant "Was his short hair a wig?" I could see that being the case. Every movie I've seen Avery in was bald/goate combo.
post #819 of 2438 Old 11-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:

I think he meant "Was his short hair a wig?" I could see that being the case. Every movie I've seen Avery in was bald/goate combo.

Yeah, thats what I meant
post #820 of 2438 Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, thats what I meant

Got it. The short hair DID look like a wig a bit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #821 of 2438 Old 11-04-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

It wasn't a wig - Brooks just likes to be bald and he made an exception to be the lead actor of a Star Trek show.
post #822 of 2438 Old 11-04-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:

It wasn't a wig - Brooks just likes to be bald and he made an exception to be the lead actor of a Star Trek show.

Fair enough
post #823 of 2438 Old 11-04-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Sisko was definitely a different cat: more Kirk than Picard.
"You hit me! Picard never hit me!"

LOL! I've never seen that ep before...

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #824 of 2438 Old 11-04-2011, 03:29 PM

I just gonna leave this here......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=414Tm...e_gdata_player
post #825 of 2438 Old 11-04-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:

What I heard was that the "bald goatee look" was too reminiscent of the look of "Hawk" from "Spenser for Hire" and, later, "A Man Called Hawk". Since those were followed up by several "Spenser" movies leading up to DS9, they were afraid people would be thinking of him as Hawk.

Hence, the hair.

Later, once Brooks was established in the role, he was able to convince them to let him shave his head.

post #826 of 2438 Old 11-04-2011, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That's one way to let your hair down, eh?
post #827 of 2438 Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] View Post

... It's Avery Brooks! He doesn't act in this show, and emotes in a truly BIZARRE way. I don't know what he's trying to accomplish, so I can't say he isn't a good actor. All I can say is that the end result on the show is that it's jarring enough for me that every scene he's in (and since he's the emissary-thingy, he's in a lot), it pulls me out of the scene, and I'm reminded that I'm watching a TV show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG View Post

Funnily enough, my girlfriend commented on exactly the same thing when we watched through DS9 - that she found Avery Brooks style of emoting rather bizarre and offputting. Nonetheless, she stuck with it and we just finished all 7 seasons. Personally I quite like him, but I can understand why his style of acting isn't for everyone.

Then you should both stay away from Shatner's 'The Captains'. He meets each of the other Captains and talks with them about all things ST. I seriously had to FF every time they got to the segments w/ Avery. It was painful watching him talk...

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #828 of 2438 Old 11-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just gonna leave this here......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=414Tm...e_gdata_player

That's a seriously awesome lolercoaster.

Ðave -

post #829 of 2438 Old 11-05-2011, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER View Post

Then you should both stay away from Shatner's 'The Captains'. He meets each of the other Captains and talks with them about all things ST. I seriously had to FF every time they got to the segments w/ Avery. It was painful watching him talk...

You're kidding, right? I mean about the FF... Those segments were unintentionally HILARIOUS!

Shatner even mentioned speaking to Avery when speaking to some of the other captains... and they would share a knowing "Avery is a crazy dude" look when mentioning Mr Brooks.

I thought his acting style was a little strange... but seeing him not acting... well, now I think his acting was incredible considering I never thought he was insane in real life like I do now that I've seen him when he isn't acting.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #830 of 2438 Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

You're kidding, right? I mean about the FF... Those segments were unintentionally HILARIOUS!

Shatner even mentioned speaking to Avery when speaking to some of the other captains... and they would share a knowing "Avery is a crazy dude" look when mentioning Mr Brooks.

I thought his acting style was a little strange... but seeing him not acting... well, now I think his acting was incredible considering I never thought he was insane in real life like I do now that I've seen him when he isn't acting.

I think I actually watched two of them before I FF'd the rest. Yeah, I liked how they all had the knowing glance.

Ðave -

post #831 of 2438 Old 11-07-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I just saw "The Captains" appear on Netflix, I'll have to check that out. Avery Brooks is just weird, plain and simple. If you Google his name, the first suggestion is "avery brooks crazy". So that tells you something.

Judging by interviews, Avery played the role of Sisko as it was written and played it pretty damn well. A man haunted by past events, fed up with the hand he was dealt, trying to forge a life with his son on the outskirts of the Federation while honoring his duty with integrity. He channels his sorrow, rage, and dissatisfaction into a tough-as-nails bravado which he unleashes in order to intimidate or motivate. At the same time, he is genuinely trying to find peace, joy, and love in a very harsh existence.

The fact that he isn't promoted to Captain until season 4 also seems to be a side-effect of his rather tumultuous behavior. Despite seeming outwardly erratic, Sisko is intensely deliberate. In a way, his behavior reflects the underlying plot of the series: linear creatures dwell in the past to forge decisions in the present to see unknown future events unfold. Sisko's interactions with the Prophets underscores this premise.

Wait... isn't this a TNG thread..?

So yeah, when is the sampler available in the U.S.? I'll order the German disc if I have to, but I need this disc. Not want. Need.
post #832 of 2438 Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Brooks might have an eccentric and unique way of speaking but he's pretty well respected in the theatrical world.

From wiki

Brooks has been a tenured professor of theatre at the Mason Gross School of the Arts of Rutgers University for more than three decades. He has also taught at Oberlin College and Case Western Reserve University.

From 1993 to 1996, Brooks was Artistic Director for the National Black Arts Festival in association with Rutgers University. Held biannually since 1988 in Atlanta, Georgia, the internationally renowned festival celebrates African-American culture and people of African descent. He was also inducted into the Rutgers University Hall of Distinguished Alumni in 1993. In addition, Brooks has done extensive work with the Smithsonian Institution's Program in Black American Culture.

post #833 of 2438 Old 11-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Damn it looks like the German release has been pushed back to the same as the US date (Jan 31st)
post #834 of 2438 Old 11-07-2011, 07:10 PM

Star Trek: The Next Generation - 'The Next Level' Blu-ray Disc Release Will Have a 13-Second Hitch, the Studio Says

An EXTREMELY short passage in 'Sins of the Father' won't be true high-def

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/16190#ixzz1d4ztdYxp
post #835 of 2438 Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 PM

Hmm, If one episode has this problem I doubt it will be the last.

Without knowing what they have to work with there's no telling what choices they're faced with. I hope if they have the option of using alternate takes for lost material they do so.
post #836 of 2438 Old 11-07-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

If they can't even pull off three cherry picked episodes without resorting to a standard def upconvert, I really wonder how much of this we're going to see in the eventual season boxed sets.

: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #837 of 2438 Old 11-07-2011, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah. How many episodes are they going to run into this problem on, I wonder. And will there will be some where a lot more than 13 seconds of original footage is missing?

post #838 of 2438 Old 11-07-2011, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

If they can't even pull off three cherry picked episodes without resorting to a standard def upconvert, I really wonder how much of this we're going to see in the eventual season boxed sets.

Yeah... this news surprised me... partly because it is bad when you consider they cherry-picked these episodes and could have picked another one to showcase the HD format!

But also... why is this announcement the first we are hearing of it? It seems like they shouldn't have announced the release of the disc before they had completed these episodes... but this sure makes it seem like they announced while they were in progress... which means it was too late to back out and select a different episode.

So... waiting for the other shoe to drop... will there be more episodes with this same issue? Will it be for longer runs of time?

This wasn't even a first-season episode that they are missing the footage... it was a later season, which one would think would be less likely to have this kind of problem with misplaced footage.

The way people pick apart HD transfers, you can bet these 13 seconds will be easily spotted and panned... and we will all be waiting for the news that more episodes might have the same problem.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #839 of 2438 Old 11-07-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

So... waiting for the other shoe to drop... will there be more episodes with this same issue? Will it be for longer runs of time?

So, just to scare people some more, how about some simple math? This is 13 seconds out of 183 minutes (10,980 seconds), so that's 0.12%. Here are the running times of each season:

Season 1: 19 hours, 43 minutes
Season 2: 16 hours, 39 minutes
Season 3: 19 hours, 40 minutes
Season 4: 19 hours, 42 minutes
Season 5: 19 hours, 43 minutes
Season 6: 19 hours, 37 minutes
Season 7: 19 hours, 34 minutes

Total: 134 hours, 38 minutes (484,680 seconds)

0.12% of 484,680 seconds is 582 seconds... or 9 minutes, 42 seconds of missing footage over 7 years.
post #840 of 2438 Old 11-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Well Star Wars Return of the Jedi Blu-ray had quite a large segment during the approach to Endor that was basically an upconvert and looked horrible versus the rest of the film. I wonder how much different this TNG footage will be from the rest? Hopefully not too jarring.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection First Contact Generations Insurrection Nemes

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page