Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilotofhope View Post

Sad, but probably true.

And IMHO, DS9 was the best after TOS
I watched the entire series a few years back and had a ball.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 2438 Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 AM

All I have to say is that it's ridiculous we're even hearing anything solid about this while meanwhile the actual FILMS are in desperate need of proper treatment on bd.
post #64 of 2438 Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I too doubt DS9 or Voyager would sell well enough for them to go back and re-work those for HD.

Enterprise wouldn't sell that well either, but it should be much closer since I believe most of the episodes were actually shot for HD, and the ones that weren't have still been shown on HDNet and looked pretty good.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #65 of 2438 Old 05-23-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I too doubt DS9 or Voyager would sell well enough for them to go back and re-work those for HD.

Enterprise wouldn't sell that well either, but it should be much closer since I believe most of the episodes were actually shot for HD, and the ones that weren't have still been shown on HDNet and looked pretty good.

+1. I didn't like the theme music for DS9 also. I did like the doctor. Voyager I thought was rather well done, but it was rushed for budgetary reasons and it shows IMO.
post #66 of 2438 Old 05-23-2011, 01:16 PM

Liked: 10
I'd take all of them. Given that these are being rerun at any given moment somewhere on the dial, I have to think they will get redone sometime.
post #67 of 2438 Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang Zei View Post

All I have to say is that it's ridiculous we're even hearing anything solid about this while meanwhile the actual FILMS are in desperate need of proper treatment on bd.

Well they've already had a glorious BD release, and blessed with a hefty application of DNR to make sure we the audience aren't bothered by any of that distracting detail that was present in the transfer.
post #68 of 2438 Old 05-23-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Well they've already had a glorious BD release, and blessed with a hefty application of DNR to make sure we the audience aren't bothered by any of that distracting detail that was present in the transfer.

And not even the Directors' cuts!

post #69 of 2438 Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I think we can expect Director's Cut releases of at least some of the Star Trek movies at some point... beyond that, I'm not sure we need better transfers than what we already got. I know some have nitpicked them to death... but I'm generally pretty happy with my movies.

I liked all the TV shows... so I would probably re-buy them on Blu-ray if they put the same work into them as they did TOS... but I just don't know if we can honestly expect anything beyond TNG to get the treatment.

I do hope to see Enterprise, though, since it should be the easiest to release.

post #70 of 2438 Old 05-23-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

...I'm not sure we need better transfers than what we already got. I know some have nitpicked them to death...

I am going to quote a more recent Depeche Mode song in reply to this statement.

WRONG!

Those transfers are rubbish with the sole exception of Khan and that one has issues as well, namely frakked up color timing.

The films deserved better treatment. 4K without foolish digital tinkering.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #71 of 2438 Old 05-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Careful, or you'll summon the Trek movie BDs' greatest apologist with his eternal cries of "at least they're better than the DVDs!!!"
post #72 of 2438 Old 05-23-2011, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I think we can expect Director's Cut releases of at least some of the Star Trek movies at some point... beyond that, I'm not sure we need better transfers than what we already got.

Troll?
post #73 of 2438 Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

Troll?

who's the troll? I think many aspects of the boxset are worthy, without taking out a magnophirne glass to look at them. I'm just happy with what I have and I think that you should as well....I know you want the 'cake and eat it too', but in the real world we cannot expect that.......

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #74 of 2438 Old 05-24-2011, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

who's the troll? I think many aspects of the boxset are worthy, without taking out a magnophirne glass to look at them. I'm just happy with what I have and I think that you should as well....I know you want the 'cake and eat it too', but in the real world we cannot expect that.......

Gladiator.
post #75 of 2438 Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

Oh yes, congratulations on appealing to discredit the premise you don't agree with by attempting to marginalize it by associating it with false extremes.

Pros of the BR release.

1. HD audio.

2. Some nice new extras.

Cons of the BR release.

1. Rubbish video quality.

-Sourced from ancient 2K scans.
-Slathered on superfluous DNR that robbed what detail those transfers did have. As evidenced from the HD trailers and the reality of the DNR is clearly visible during conventional viewing conditions. Plus the DNR defeats the whole purpose and benefits of 1080P HD upgrade.
-Inaccurate and destructive contrast adjustments that crushes shadow detail and causes blooming along with cartoonish color rendition.
++The greatest irony is of course the films would have looked better if those old transfers had not been "Remastered".
**Even though the Khan transfer is the best of the bunch in respects to detail it's color timing has been skewed to the bluish end of the spectrum.

2. Unnecessary supposed 7.1 mixes.

3. Rather limited number of new extra content.

4. Did not included a proper remaster of the DC of TMP.

5. Asinine cover art. Yes I went there and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter but one could argue why don't they just slap the name of the film in bold black text on a white background.

~~~

In regards to TNG, I hope they do go about remastering the entire series but they better not cheap out on the digital effects with chintzy models.
Hopefully all the original negatives will be available for this endeavor but I believe it would not be practical or viable to open the frame from 1.33:1 to say 1.78:1. One reason aside from visible production seams is the show was shot and framed for 1.33:1 and if opened up actors are going to be primarily positioned in the central area of the frame.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #76 of 2438 Old 05-24-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Gladiator.

Gangs of New York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #77 of 2438 Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

-Slathered on superfluous DNR that robbed what detail those transfers did have. As evidenced from the HD trailers and the reality of the DNR is clearly visible during conventional viewing conditions. Plus the DNR defeats the whole purpose and benefits of 1080P HD upgrade.
-Inaccurate and destructive contrast adjustments that crushes shadow detail and causes blooming along with cartoonish color rendition.
++The greatest irony is of course the films would have looked better if those old transfers had not been "Remasterd".
**Even though the Khan transfer is the best of the bunch in respects to detail it's color timing has been skewed to the bluish end of the spectrum.

But, but, but... they look better than the DVDs!!!

The thing with these films is there isn't a titan like Ridley Scott or Martin Scorcese involved to correct the horrible PQ.
post #78 of 2438 Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Regarding the movies... Could they have been better transfers? Perhaps. Were they as horrible as some would have you believe? No.

I don't remember hating the experience of watching them when I bought them. They were not perfect... but I've seen far worse on Blu-ray. It's just not something I'm losing sleep over.

IF they ever do make a new release with a better transfer that can be compared to these... then I'll happily compare them, and if the new ones look better I might even buy them again. But until then, I would honestly prefer to see something new (like TNG or Director's cuts) to rehashing these movies so soon after their initial release.

post #79 of 2438 Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Pfft. I'd pay full whack for the Trek movies all over again if they were 'unremastered' to their pre-DNR state. It's not like it'd take a lot of work; we know that the masters exist because of all the beautiful clips that are in the new special features! Come on Paramount, get a 'Purist Edition' out in time for Star Trek 2 and legions of nerds will be entirely grateful.
post #80 of 2438 Old 05-24-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

And IMHO, DS9 was the best after TOS
I watched the entire series a few years back and had a ball.

Been watching 2 episodes of DS9 a week. Just started Season 7 yesterday. Easily the best Trek series other than TOS.
post #81 of 2438 Old 05-24-2011, 09:13 PM

The love that DS9 is getting is making my heart warm. I thought I was alone in thinking that it was the best Star Trek series after TOS. Too bad the DVD versions suck. I think i read once there is a better version floating around (UK? Jpn?) but I never picked them up to compare. Which makes me think there will never be a blu ray version either.

If there is a TNG BR - i'll definitely pick it up but I may have to skip a lot of episodes.
post #82 of 2438 Old 05-25-2011, 06:02 AM

look at comment #236 posted at this link:

http://trekmovie.com/2011/05/09/rumo...ject/#comments

Sounds encouraging for DS9 and Voyager!
post #83 of 2438 Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Shock View Post

...and that poster sounds fairly knowledgable about what's involved. However, he/she wrote at least one false thing: the effects on DS9 were almost all models, just like TNG. I believe they started using some CGI in later seasons, especially for the Defiant. I don't know about Voyager...

That statement makes me slightly suspicious about the whole post, but hopefully it's unwarranted suspicion!

Doug
post #84 of 2438 Old 05-25-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Shock View Post
That is very encouraging indeed!
Quote:
Looking further down the road, it's even less work for DS9 and VOY as those two series involved far less miniature photography relying heavily on CG. I came to find out that all of the original CGI digital files for DS9 and VOY are not only still in existence but they were all created in HD to begin with.
Hopefully A) this guy isn't blowing smoke, and B) the VFX chaps he spoke with weren't either!

Oh man, I didn't really like Voyager all that much, but I would still buy it if they give it some love!
post #85 of 2438 Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 AM

Liked: 11
Most of DS9's run was shot with models, but for seasons 6 + 7 they went digital for all of the new effects footage created (just in time for the huge space battles that came up in those seasons). Voyager went all-digital from mid-season 3.

So there's still a lot of filmed shots that would need replacing, but given they'd already have the CG models created for the later seasons, I can't imagine it being as difficult to go back and re-create the old footage as it will be for all the stuff in TNG.
post #86 of 2438 Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG View Post

Most of DS9's run was shot with models, but for seasons 6 + 7 they went digital for all of the new effects footage created (just in time for the huge space battles that came up in those seasons). Voyager went all-digital from mid-season 3.

So there's still a lot of filmed shots that would need replacing, but given they'd already have the CG models created for the later seasons, I can't imagine it being as difficult to go back and re-create the old footage as it will be for all the stuff in TNG.

It should be noted that you're really only talking about the ships. As far as I know, all seasons of DS9 and Voyager used CG for effects outside of model ships. Things like the wormhole or Odo's transformations have always been CG.
post #87 of 2438 Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:

Hopefully A) this guy isn't blowing smoke, and B) the VFX chaps he spoke with weren't either!

Oh man, I didn't really like Voyager all that much, but I would still buy it if they give it some love!

He's wrong about the CG VFX in DS9 and VOY being rendered in HD. While the CG models themselves are high resolution, the visual effects shots were rendered at 480 SD.

Enterprise is a different animal on it's own: while the show was HD the VFX shots started out uprezzed from 480 and eventually got to 1k+ quality as the show progressed: this is information straight from the guys who are now at Eden FX studios. It's also been said a lot of CG models were lost after Foundation Imaging folded, so I don't see how they could just "rerender" the FX for DS9 & VOY.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #88 of 2438 Old 05-25-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Some of what he said wasn't entirely accurate or outright wrong since it contradicts earlier statements I've read from the lead VFX and production people after the shows were ended but the basic points are correct. I think it will happen sometime in the next few years.
post #89 of 2438 Old 05-25-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

-

Wrong. They were not the old transfers, but newer ones. Not NEW-NEW (think 2004-2007) but newer than the HD transfers shown on HBO/SHO/HD Net.

You other folks can debate the DNR all you want but it's hard to believe those who base their opinions purely on screenshots.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #90 of 2438 Old 05-25-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

You other folks can debate the DNR all you want but it's hard to believe those who base their opinions purely on screenshots.

I own the box set and have watched all the discs.

Please identify the people who are basing their opinions purely on screenshots.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection First Contact Generations Insurrection Nemes

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page