and some screen grab comparisons:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Huge improvement! I am a little disappointed in the special effects... they look better...but still my mind is not blown.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:41 PM

Liked: 14
Looks like (for this shot, at least) they went with something closer to Academy Aperture. In fact the pixel dimensions bear that out -- 990x720 is 1.375:1 -- that's the Academy aspect ratio:

Interestingly, if you look at the trailer and keep your eyes on the pillar bars, only "Inner Light" has the slightly wider 1.37:1 AR, "Encounter at Farpoint" and "Sins of the Father" look to be exactly 1.33:1. Perhaps by Season 5 they were protecting for "Academy"?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Ah I'm happy that they may have gone Academy ratio to give us some more picture Even if just for later seasons....

And who's going to be the first to cry foul for DNR on this

Old 11-13-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
It's been a while since I've watched this show.. did the DVD really look that bad?

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:17 PM

Liked: 832
Worse..
Old 11-14-2011, 06:35 AM

Liked: 50
Old 11-14-2011, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

It's been a while since I've watched this show.. did the DVD really look that bad?

Yup. The video masters were a product of the technology at the time, which meant that LaserDisc was as good as the quality got.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

Ah I'm happy that they may have gone Academy ratio to give us some more picture Even if just for later seasons...

Yes, it's truly alot nicer isn't it. Thanks for this dvdmike007:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/94084

Old 11-14-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:

The first sad case you mean.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
This looks fantastic for the color-space alone.

I don't feel special...
Old 11-14-2011, 11:37 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:

Ah I'm happy that they may have gone Academy ratio to give us some more picture Even if just for later seasons....

We need to see a full frame at full res from a retail disc before anyone says anything of the wosrt
Old 11-14-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Yes, it's truly alot nicer isn't it. Thanks for this dvdmike007:

Thank "akadajet" at Blu-ray.com
http://forum.blu-ray.com/5444885-post1519.html

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
Old 11-14-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Those HD demo clips take me back to one of my greatest disappointments with Star Trek TNG: The generally uninspired, bland cinematography and lighting. The lighting of the crew and so many of the sets is just so bloody flat and ugly looking it too often reminded me of watching a cheap soap opera.

Contrast that with the often gorgeous, bold, dramatic and cinematic lighting used in lots of the original series (which I LOVE re-experiencing in HD). I can go to the original series for a sense of craftsmanship and iconic photography that I virtually never found in TNG. Faces in half shadows, even on the deck. The cinema-era lighting on Kirk's close ups often made him stand out sculpturally, dynamically, almost impressionistically for sheer dramatic impact. Never got that in TNG.

(The same goes for shows like the early Twilight Zone, which can be just stunning in their cinematic boldness and mood).
Old 11-14-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Contrast that with the often gorgeous, bold, dramatic and cinematic lighting used in lots of the original series (which I LOVE re-experiencing in HD). I can go to the original series for a sense of craftsmanship and iconic photography that I virtually never found in TNG. Faces in half shadows, even on the deck. The cinema-era lighting on Kirk's close ups often made him stand out sculpturally, dynamically, almost impressionistically for sheer dramatic impact. Never got that in TNG.

You also never got the Vaseline smeared lens for the female closeups either. Yeesh.

TOS had to light the way they did. The sets are devoid of detail. The actors are all they had to work with. TNG didn't have that problem.

Now look at Star Trek: Generations. Say what you will about the film but the lighting was fantastic. David Carson made sure people knew it was a *movie*, not an expanded TV episode.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
Old 11-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

We need to see a full frame at full res from a retail disc before anyone says anything of the wosrt

That's the whole point I was making - that some people here make judgements when they shouldn't.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:12 PM

I'm definitely liking what I see so far. Huge picture improvement across the board, and certainly much better than I imagined TNG would ever look. And I for one am glad that they didn't try to use state-of-the-art effects as replacements. The effects should look appropriate to the time and budget available when TNG was created, and so far I think they've nailed that. Based on this extended trailer, I don't expect that a completely out-of-place realistic effect will suddenly pop up and wreck my suspension of disbelief.

Movies look their best when they look like movies. More Patton-esque remasters!

Old 11-14-2011, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The video/audio is a bit out of sync but presumably that's just a problem with the internet video and not the BDs.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post

The video/audio is a bit out of sync but presumably that's just a problem with the internet video and not the BDs.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:52 PM

So what do you guys think of the newly recomposited shots? Personally I'm a bit underwhelmed. The Enterprise herself looks good, but the compositing looks rushed. The stars in the Sins of the Father Enterprise shot really jarred me, they look increadibly fake....and they're moving...on a still shot. The star field on the original shot was much better. I was hoping for a slight improvement in the quality of the shots since they were redoing them, minimum same quality. Looks like we'll be getting sharper but lower quality visual effects, if the trailer is an indication of the final output.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 AM

Liked: 12
I'm frankly a bit puzzled by the aspect ratio decision. In the capture shown in post #903, we can clearly see there's room to do a 1.66 or even, give or take a few adjustment, a 1.77 version, yet we get a shifting 1.33 to 1.37 ratio.

Even a 1.44:1 (ie like IMAX) version could respect the old ratio (which was just that, a ratio made to fit then current technology), and be better to the eyes. It would satisfy both advocates for either widescreen or square Blu, and be a good middle ground. Hell, BBC 14/9 wouldn't be too bad either.

Yet we're stuck with a ratio which was intended for tube TVs which do not exist anymore. 1.33 is too cramped and make the show look old, whereas all this restoration intent is to bring it to the 21st century.

What's the point? Satisfy customers who scream for OAR TV? There's no OAR on TV, unlike film. As the framing in post #903 shows, there's just room to adjust to whatever are the particular of modern technology. Columbo STNG current days episodes get released in widescreen, yet the future remains in 4/3. I don't get it.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision View Post

I'm frankly a bit puzzled by the aspect ratio decision. In the capture shown in post #903, we can clearly see there's room to do a 1.66 or even, give or take a few adjustment, a 1.77 version, yet we get a shifting 1.33 to 1.37 ratio.

Even a 1.44:1 (ie like IMAX) version could respect the old ratio (which was just that, a ratio made to fit then current technology), and be better to the eyes. It would satisfy both advocates for either widescreen or square Blu, and be a good middle ground. Hell, BBC 14/9 wouldn't be too bad either.

Yet we're stuck with a ratio which was intended for tube TVs which do not exist anymore. 1.33 is too cramped and make the show look old, whereas all this restoration intent is to bring it to the 21st century.

What's the point? Satisfy customers who scream for OAR TV? There's no OAR on TV, unlike film. As the framing in post #903 shows, there's just room to adjust to whatever are the particular of modern technology. Columbo STNG current days episodes get released in widescreen, yet the future remains in 4/3. I don't get it.

The image I posted was only meant to show the difference between 1.33 and 1.37. As it turns out, according to Rik1138 over at blu-ray.com, the extra picture info that can be seen on the "Inner Light" footage will actually not be present on the blu-rays. Each episode on the sampler will be 1.33:1.

Here's what Michael Okuda has said in recent days on the issue:

Quote:

The resolution of the HD remastering is simply beautiful. And while there is certainly an argument to be made in favor of widescreen, we prefer to respect the compositions of the original directors and cinematographers.

The show simply wasn't designed for widescreen. There's some additional useable picture information on the sides of some, but not all shots. In any case, 16x9 would require picture loss from cropping on the top and/or bottom of all shots.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If you gonna reframe, why not go even wider. Gives a whole new look to the show.
LL
Old 11-15-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehm View Post

So what do you guys think of the newly recomposited shots? Personally I'm a bit underwhelmed. The Enterprise herself looks good, but the compositing looks rushed. The stars in the Sins of the Father Enterprise shot really jarred me, they look increadibly fake....and they're moving...on a still shot. The star field on the original shot was much better. I was hoping for a slight improvement in the quality of the shots since they were redoing them, minimum same quality. Looks like we'll be getting sharper but lower quality visual effects, if the trailer is an indication of the final output.

I totally agree. I wish for them to use as much of the model shots as possible...but I would like to see some improvements as well... I don't like the sandbox the alien is coming out of... I guess if the intent is to be true to what was...then it's fine. But, I would like more. I loved the TOS remaster and the new epic scope some of the shots gave it.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm happy they aren't going overboard with the new FX. It looks updated, but not cutting edge. Ultimately, it will be less jarring to have it this way than have upscaled SD effects.

I'm glad they finally stated their intent to respect OAR, too. I was kinda of hoping they would open it up a little, but at least now we don't have to wonder about it.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

If you gonna reframe, why not go even wider. Gives a whole new look to the show.

You're right... Q didn't need that hat anyway. *rolleyes*
Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm glad they're sticking to the OAR too, even if they have additional "room"; sooner or later it would have caused somebody, somewhere, to flip out. Without fail. (Vader: "Search your feelings--you know it to be true.")

I'm actually kind of shocked by how much better some of the restoration (The Inner Light, natch) looks over the DVD...and I still can't help thinking "Aww, why didn't they pick The Best of Both Worlds?"

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

Old 11-15-2011, 10:58 AM

Just for fun I decided to see what I could do to improve the shot. Tweeked the color a bit, especially on the planet. The main thing however was dimming the stars... that helped massively. The overly bright stars are present in all the space shots and are really killing the quality...its a small thing but I'm really hoping they fix it.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxCatz View Post

You're right... Q didn't need that hat anyway. *rolleyes*

It worked with Clint Eastwood.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehm View Post

Just for fun I decided to see what I could do to improve the shot. Tweeked the color a bit, especially on the planet. The main thing however was dimming the stars... that helped massively. The overly bright stars are present in all the space shots and are really killing the quality...its a small thing but I'm really hoping they fix it.

I think you might be overthinking it, and trying to make the stars look like they would in our local space here near the edge of the galaxy. If you're circling an alien planet with a lot of stars closer than we have, they'll appear brighter than ours do. It really doesn't bother me that much, and I'm willing to give it a chance in context.

Movies look their best when they look like movies. More Patton-esque remasters!

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection First Contact Generations Insurrection Nemes