post #991 of 2440 Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 View Post

Day one purchase for me. I watched Generations last night, I loved how the TNG uniforms popped off the screen with vivid colors. I hope series BD looks as good.

They popped because of the ridiculous contrast boosting applied to that disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2440 Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 24
I've already preordered the sampler. I want the best version possible of 'The Inner Light'. I might eventually buy the whole series but the sampler will do for awhile.

Mark
post #993 of 2440 Old 11-30-2011, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

contrast or saturation?

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #994 of 2440 Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 View Post

Day one purchase for me. I watched Generations last night, I loved how the TNG uniforms popped off the screen with vivid colors. I hope series BD looks as good.

The series will likely look much better as long as they don't filter it.
post #995 of 2440 Old 11-30-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

contrast or saturation?

You're asking someone who never saw GENERATIONS theatrically. I don't think he knows the difference.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #996 of 2440 Old 11-30-2011, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Unlike probably most here I'm only really interested in the sampler. I never thought too much of TNG, but if the sampler represents some of the most lauded episodes, I'm willing to give 'em a whirl.
post #997 of 2440 Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Unlike probably most here I'm only really interested in the sampler. I never thought too much of TNG, but if the sampler represents some of the most lauded episodes, I'm willing to give 'em a whirl.

Encounter at Farpoint has never been one of the show's "most lauded episodes." But it was the first episode, and is important from that perspective.

The show's first couple of seasons were pretty lackluster. It took a few to find its footing.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #998 of 2440 Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 AM

On the sampler the only one that makes most "top 10" lists of great TNG episodes is "The Inner Light". And (IMO) it is a really great episode, and is even better when watched in the overall context of the series rather than as a single standalone show.

I doubt that "Encounter at Farpoint" has ever made a top 10 list, and "Sins of the Father" is great if you are a big Klingon/Worf fan, but otherwise is only average or perhaps slightly above average.
post #999 of 2440 Old 12-01-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I personally find "Encounter at Farpoint" and "The Inner Light" to be as boring as can be - total yawn fests. "Sins of the Father" is one of my favorites as the Klingon politics and power struggles (as well as the Romulan involvement) offered something beyond the typical episodic approach of TNG. However, I'm buying it primarily to show my support of TNG on Blu-ray. I loved TOS on Blu-ray and I'm expecting great things here as well.
post #1000 of 2440 Old 12-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

The question is how long it takes for Season 1 to come out after this sampler - I think anything earlier than late 2012 is being hopeful.....
post #1001 of 2440 Old 12-04-2011, 03:24 PM

Doug Drexler updated his blog today with this welcome news:

Quote:
Tomorrow I start work with Dan Curry, David Takemura, and Mike and Denise Okuda on the Star Trek: The Next Generation Remastered.

You heard right, this time around Paramount is bringing in a team that lived TNG as it happened. Dan, as I'm sure you know, was the visual effects supervisor on Next Gen. Unlike the remastering of TOS, this job will be 100% true to the original. Visual effects shots will not be reinvented, pulling you out of the show. What's about to happen is truly extraordinary. The studio has saved all the original footage, and VFX elements from the good old days.. We will be recompositing them, and then outputting them in high definition. Here and there, elements have been lost, and we will recreate only those missing pieces, and with this promise: aside from looking like you had your windshield cleaned, you won't know the difference. Star Trek:The Next Generation is Gene Roddenberry's legacy, it is culturally significant, and we will rejuvenate the show with curatorial eyes only. Paramount Picture deserves a round of applause, and I can't wait to dig in with my friends.

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/blog-day/

They must finally be starting on the regular episodes of Season 1. They probably have many episodes cut together already without compositing or VFX. Hopefully Drexler will continue to give updates along the way so we can see how long a season takes to complete.
post #1002 of 2440 Old 12-04-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post

Doug Drexler updated his blog today with this welcome news:

They must finally be starting on the regular episodes of Season 1. They probably have many episodes cut together already without compositing or VFX. Hopefully Drexler will continue to give updates along the way so we can see how long a season takes to complete.

While one can appreciate the attention to the original, it also means we're still stuck with multiple stock shots of the Enterprise-D, and many Miranda (Reliant), Excelsior, and Oberth (Grissom) ships for the guest ship of the week.

post #1003 of 2440 Old 12-04-2011, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The remastered VFX for the original series most certainly did not pull me out of the show; I've read that many were based on original concept designs that were not possible back in the 1960s given the technological and budgetary constraints. Personally, I found the remastered TOS VFX to be a refreshing and entertaining alternative to the originals (which were still available on the BluRays with a single button press on the remote). I found that comment by Drexler off-putting, annoying and slightly arrogant.

As for TNG, I'd say for most episodes the VFX accounted for no more than 5% of the actual running time. It seems like they're doing a lot of work for very little return and it really smacks of a lack of imagination, vision and ambition on their part. I really don't see much point to this project unless they gave us some alternate imaginings for the ship and planet of the week, especially as the seamless branching technology on BluRays would make it easy to give us two versions (as was done with TOS). If nothing else they should try to fix some continuity aberrations such as the relative size of the Spacedock and various TOS Movie era models versus the 1701-D.

No interest at all in getting this given how they're approaching it.
post #1004 of 2440 Old 12-04-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Let's hope they don't allow this joker near the film again.

post #1005 of 2440 Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

The remastered VFX for the original series most certainly did not pull me out of the show; I've read that many were based on original concept designs that were not possible back in the 1960s given the technological and budgetary constraints. Personally, I found the remastered TOS VFX to be a refreshing and entertaining alternative to the originals (which were still available on the BluRays with a single button press on the remote). I found that comment by Drexler off-putting, annoying and slightly arrogant.

As for TNG, I'd say for most episodes the VFX accounted for no more than 5% of the actual running time. It seems like they're doing a lot of work for very little return and it really smacks of a lack of imagination, vision and ambition on their part. I really don't see much point to this project unless they gave us some alternate imaginings for the ship and planet of the week, especially as the seamless branching technology on BluRays would make it easy to give us two versions (as was done with TOS). If nothing else they should try to fix some continuity aberrations such as the relative size of the Spacedock and various TOS Movie era models versus the 1701-D.

No interest at all in getting this given how they're approaching it.

Well, it looks like we're definitely getting new planet views and there's no reason why they couldn't fix at least some continuity errors. But I don't think projects like these have the budgets to both restore the original VFX and create all new CGI. The reason new CGI was done for TOS-R was the original miniature plates had been lost, otherwise they would have gone that route. It's simply a lot cheaper to hire compositors to put the shots back together again as they were intended.
post #1006 of 2440 Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Well I don't mind seeing shots of the older ship models as that's what was originally used but some creative freedom with the other effects would have been appreciated. Still, I need to see a completed episode. I personally can't wait to see Sins of the Father.
post #1007 of 2440 Old 12-04-2011, 08:52 PM

Liked: 832
Ditto.

I was hoping for continuity errors, scale errors, and the like to be fixed.
post #1008 of 2440 Old 12-04-2011, 09:07 PM

It's odd how all of a sudden people want the effects fully re-done and the mistakes "fixed" 20 years after the fact.
post #1009 of 2440 Old 12-04-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorToschi View Post

It's odd how all of a sudden people want the effects fully re-done and the mistakes "fixed" 20 years after the fact.

Not me. They are releasing TNG on Blu-ray exactly the way I want it using as much of the original effects with modern digital compositing. This is going to be a real treat and a dream come true for the fans that grew up with the show.
post #1010 of 2440 Old 12-04-2011, 10:44 PM

Not a fan of trying to recycle dated effects for the sake of nostalgia, waste of time and money. HD resolution needs more detailed versions. The stuff in the trailer looked amazing. The oled models seem plenty detailed, but the VFX will probably all need to be redone.

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
post #1011 of 2440 Old 12-04-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbsyst View Post

not me. They are releasing tng on blu-ray exactly the way i want it using as much of the original effects with modern digital compositing. This is going to be a real treat and a dream come true for the fans that grew up with the show.

+1
post #1012 of 2440 Old 12-04-2011, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not requesting they be redone, but have some things that went out poor due to time or budget constraints refixed.

Stock footage has always been a problem with me, probably since the days of TOS and the original Battlestar Galactica. Do we really want the same bird of prey explosion in "Redemption" that they originally created for "Yesterday's Enterprise" and that show's battle footage used yet again in "Rascals"? That every other Federation starship is an Excelsior, Miranda, or Oberth class...ships that are now supposedly being used nearly a century before TNG was happening? The same exact saucer separation shots from "Encounter at Farpoint" used for "The Arsenal of Freedom" and then "Best of Both Worlds" and even STAR TREK: GENERATIONS???

The same flybys of the Enterprise-D? Imagine if every time Picard or Riker entered the bridge they used the same shot over and over again? It'd get pretty annoying real quick.

At least for Voyager, DS9, and Enterprise they used CG to give a lot more variety, I'm certain the producers of TNG would have done the same if they had the same tools the other shows had at their disposal. I'm not advocating wildly different compositions, just some minor changes that can enhance, *not change*, the show.

post #1013 of 2440 Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Let's hope they don't allow this joker near the film again.

That's probably the missing footage from Sins of the Father he's holding there!

post #1014 of 2440 Old 12-05-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzRoy View Post

Not a fan of trying to recycle dated effects for the sake of nostalgia, waste of time and money. HD resolution needs more detailed versions.

It's not a waste of time and money. Look at it from their point of view. It's a savings of time and money. And from our point of view, the consumer, we'll simply have the seasons in our hands sooner. Unless you want them to toil away for the better part of a decade redoing everything with computer models. Since most VFX elements will be coming from 35mm color negative film (just like the live action photography), no further detail is needed.
post #1015 of 2440 Old 12-05-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

That's probably the missing footage from Sins of the Father he's holding there!

If that wasn't from the first season, you'd actually have a viable theory there! Actually, my own pet theory on the missing footage is that they pulled various reels from season 3 for use in the Enterprise finale and therefore the film is more likely to be found in the Enterprise collection. If they're also missing footage from "Menage a Troi", then I might be right.
post #1016 of 2440 Old 12-05-2011, 05:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Especially as the Star Wars crowd were ready to lynch GL for messing with 'their' films. I do admit that I have not bought them for that very reason.

And there's the kicker. Buy it or don't buy it. The stuff belongs to Paramount and they are free to do with it as they please. Just like you're free not to buy the end result....

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #1017 of 2440 Old 12-05-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

Especially as the Star Wars crowd were ready to lynch GL for messing with 'their' films. I do admit that I have not bought them for that very reason.

And there's the kicker. Buy it or don't buy it. The stuff belongs to Paramount and they are free to do with it as they please. Just like you're free not to buy the end result....

Seggers

+1

I'm very happy they are using as much of the original elements to make the Blu-ray as it leaves me much less anxious. I was excited as some others at the prospect of opening up to 16x9 (if it were possible) and more modern CG, but honestly once you start down that path, where do you stop? Before you know it, blinking Ewoks will be helping Picard fight the Borg in the Millenium Falcon with pink lasers.

As far as I know, every TV series and film has time and budget restraints, so using that as justification for changes is just silly. With mistakes or scale issues, I guess I don't really care what they do. They didn't offend me when they aired.
post #1018 of 2440 Old 12-05-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:

I'm not advocating wildly different compositions, just some minor changes that can enhance, *not change*, the show.

I understand perfectly what you're saying. But at the same time, an enhancement by your term might be too much of a change to someone else, or not enough to another person.

That's why I think it is much better that they stick to original material as it was originally shown . Otherwise, where do you stop those enhancements when you start doing them?
post #1019 of 2440 Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:

Not requesting they be redone, but have some things that went out poor due to time or budget constraints refixed.

Stock footage has always been a problem with me, probably since the days of TOS and the original Battlestar Galactica. Do we really want the same bird of prey explosion in "Redemption" that they originally created for "Yesterday's Enterprise" and that show's battle footage used yet again in "Rascals"? That every other Federation starship is an Excelsior, Miranda, or Oberth class...ships that are now supposedly being used nearly a century before TNG was happening? The same exact saucer separation shots from "Encounter at Farpoint" used for "The Arsenal of Freedom" and then "Best of Both Worlds" and even STAR TREK: GENERATIONS???

The same flybys of the Enterprise-D? Imagine if every time Picard or Riker entered the bridge they used the same shot over and over again? It'd get pretty annoying real quick.

At least for Voyager, DS9, and Enterprise they used CG to give a lot more variety, I'm certain the producers of TNG would have done the same if they had the same tools the other shows had at their disposal. I'm not advocating wildly different compositions, just some minor changes that can enhance, *not change*, the show.

That is pretty much replacing everything

If time and money is going to be spent, I'd rather they clean up issues that they already had and keep everything else the same. Small things they came out and said were corners cut because of time, money , feasibility, or error.

Phasers out the torpedo tubes, perspective issues, no visible damage when attacked, ect. Small things that will go a long way, but not cost much to implement.

redoing all the FX in CGI ala the later Treks will be way too expensive, and really alter both the history and character of the show. Plopping in new vessel designs, even if the scene remains unchanged thematically, would never be ok'd.
post #1020 of 2440 Old 12-05-2011, 01:44 PM

Liked: 17
I'm not a very big fan of TNG, but I am a very big fan of what Paramount is doing with this series. Combined with their efforts on the original STAR TREK series, and some of their recent catalog work (GLADIATOR, WHITE CHRISTMAS, TEN COMMANDMENTS), I think we can expect even more great things in the future.

Obviously the current blurays of the original TREK feature films (1-6) are mediocre, and I certainly expect they will be re-done. In fact, the work being done on TOS and TNG suggests that Paramount may even spring to re-do the new digital shots in STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE. I would look for new TREK blurays to coincide with the release of the next JJ Abrams film.

I'll be supporting this TNG release, if for no other reason than to send Paramount a message of appreciation.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection First Contact Generations Insurrection Nemes

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page