Star Trek TNG Seasons Remastered on Blu-Ray - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 2440 Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't. I enjoyed Voyager. Second favorite after The Next Generation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2440 Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

ENT wouldn't be too hard, they'd just have to redo the early season FX aka TOS, since they were done for SD.

Were they? I'm currently watching S1 of ENT on Netflix and it seems to be in 1080p to me (or at least 720p).

The 7.1 mix seems odd to me on my system. I only have a 5.1 system, so maybe my AV Receiver is downmixing it in an odd way, but a good deal of the score seems to get pushed into the rear surrounds, which just sounds very odd to me.
post #1353 of 2440 Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 PM

Liked: 14
Is anyone else hearing a slight audio glitch on "Encounter at Farpoint"? It's only on the 7.1 DTS-HD MA track, the 2.0 DTS-HD MA appears to be fine.

It's during chapter 4 at 20:40 when Troi says to Picard, "I don't understand either, but this is real." It happens during the word "understand". Just want to make sure it's not my disc alone... and hopefully get this out there so the problem is resolved on the Season 1 set.
post #1354 of 2440 Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Just checked out my copy. I'll just say that I can't wait to buy all seven seasons again if they are going to look this great! It's better than I expected.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #1355 of 2440 Old 01-31-2012, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post

Is anyone else hearing a slight audio glitch on "Encounter at Farpoint"? It's only on the 7.1 DTS-HD MA track, the 2.0 DTS-HD MA appears to be fine.

It's during chapter 4 at 20:40 when Troi says to Picard, "I don't understand either, but this is real." It happens during the word "understand". Just want to make sure it's not my disc alone... and hopefully get this out there so the problem is resolved on the Season 1 set.

Just watched that scene. Plays perfectly fine, no glitch or dropoff. Playing this on my OPPO BDP-93 and Denon AVR-4310CI.
post #1356 of 2440 Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post

Maxwell, I checked my copy also and don't hear a glitch. I listened to "understand" a few times just to be sure. I'm playing on a Panasonic DMP-BD210 Blu-ray player to a DVDO Edge Scaler and Yamaha RX-V565. Watching on a 92" screen projected with a Optima HD-33. Oh, and bye the way this is quite possibly the most amazing transfer imaginable for this show. I got goosebumps.
post #1357 of 2440 Old 01-31-2012, 09:06 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by teiresias View Post

Were they? I'm currently watching S1 of ENT on Netflix and it seems to be in 1080p to me (or at least 720p).

The show was shot on 35mm film for the first 3 seasons, and HDcam the last. While it was widescreen, pretty sure the first 3 seasons were broadcast SD widescreen originally.

The CGI space shot FX for those season were made for SD, and were not redone when they rescanned for HD.

If I'm remembering correctly. I remember there was some "issue" with them, but not sure if that was it.
post #1358 of 2440 Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Sounds awesome. I hope the project is a big success so we might get DS9 which is my fave

SAME HERE!!! It's the Trek series I have viewed the most times!
post #1359 of 2440 Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 PM

I received my copy of the next level and I am amazed at how good some of the shots look. I am glad that paramount is taking the Mike Holmes approach to this series and doing it right. I know that at some point I will go out and buy the series on Blu-ray but I will probably be done with college before they release all seven seasons. And lastly I must add that it would be a crying shame if they don't do DS9 or Voyager I hope that it is financially viable in the future to do these series as well.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #1360 of 2440 Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

I think we are extremely lucky they are even doing TNG so if we get any more series after this it will be an extra bonus. It is probably a long way off it it is done though. Until then I will enjoy all the TNG seasons

And try to force myself to stop watching Season 3 that is currently airing here in Australia - or only watch an episode here or there.... been years since i watched TNG episodes so kinda have an urge to watch some lol, but don't want to ruin the whole series for myself (especially since they will be coming out on Blu-ray) - have only seen maybe a third of all episodes in the past.
post #1361 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 12:35 AM

Just finished watching all three episodes! So cool! What a treat to see "The Inner Light" in HD! I purchased the season 5 DVD set just to get that episode, and this looks so much better! And for a lot less money too. Thank you CBS for so lovingly remastering TNG! Woohoo!
post #1362 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionorion View Post

Just finished watching all three episodes! So cool! What a treat to see "The Inner Light" in HD! I purchased the season 5 DVD set just to get that episode, and this looks so much better! And for a lot less money too. Thank you CBS for so lovingly remastering TNG! Woohoo!

If only they had put on another awesome episode like Tin Man or a Borg one... rather than Sins of the Father!!!

I wonder if they will end up 'updating' the Borg cubes a bit... to look maybe a bit more in line with First Contact? Though obviously not as good, but for example the borg cube in Q Who?, looks pretty bad.

I know they are not supposed to be doing any CGI but even the original effects may have looked a lot better than the DVD's/current broadcasts?
post #1363 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 AM

I think given the staying power of Star Trek and how lucrative the franchise has been, it would be silly not to consider updating DS9 and Voyager into HD - after all, it means they can resell the same content to a whole new generation (who these days are beginning to expect things to come in HD form). I suppose it really depends how much they make out of selling Next Gen.

I also think that the worth of doing this isn't in selling Blu-rays: the long term sales are more likely to come from digital downloads than they are from disc formats.
post #1364 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know the actual resolution they are scanning TNG at? Is it 2K or 4K?
post #1365 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

SAME HERE!!! It's the Trek series I have viewed the most times!

Yep. While I still think the best cast and the best actual individual episodes are TOS, as far as a whole series quality and content wise, DS9 was the best. They maintained and even got better by the end. By the end of S3 of TOS they had flown way off the rails. A shame too.
post #1366 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

Does anyone know the actual resolution they are scanning TNG at? Is it 2K or 4K?

4K according to all the PR.
post #1367 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

4K according to all the PR.

Its marketing blurb, all the scanners "scan" at 4k or even 6k but they downsample to 2k on the fly. I'd put money on none of TNG being put through the pipe at 4k.

digital film janitor
post #1368 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Wait I can see a 4k version making it's way out in the future, especially after having a few TV/projectors at CES. After all Star Trek goes on and on and on.............
post #1369 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

Its marketing blurb, all the scanners "scan" at 4k or even 6k but they downsample to 2k on the fly. I'd put money on none of TNG being put through the pipe at 4k.

Ultimately, I don't think it will matter as long as the output looks as stellar as this.

That makes me think about a question I don't think anyone has asked yet:

Are these four (three) episodes taking up a full 50GB disc or a 25GB disc? What are the episode file sizes? I only ask because it's possible the sampler won't ultimately be indicative of the final product if they squeeze more episodes per disc along with other extras. I think anyone would be hard pressed to notice a difference if the episodes are more compressed, but I'm sure the comparisons will be made...

I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure that my Stargate Atlantis set is five episodes per 50GB disc, including tons of special features, commentaries, and language tracks. And it looks great - as great as it can with its budget CG effects and not having a 35mm source like TNG.
post #1370 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

I'm trying to remember, but I'm pretty sure that my Stargate Atlantis set is five episodes per 50GB disc, including tons of special features, commentaries, and language tracks. And it looks great - as great as it can with its budget CG effects and not having a 35mm source like TNG.

WB has put as many as 7 HD episodes on a 50GB disc I think with their TV series... which always interested me, because they would never put more than 5 on a DVD. So while we get expanded capacity with Blu-ray, some studios seem to go overboard.

I can't remember off the top of my head what Paramount did with TOS Blu-ray sets. I want to say 5 episodes per disc, but I can't say for sure.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1371 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

WB has put as many as 7 HD episodes on a 50GB disc I think with their TV series... which always interested me, because they would never put more than 5 on a DVD. So while we get expanded capacity with Blu-ray, some studios seem to go overboard.

Remember the advances in codec efficiency as well. If DVDs were using VC-1 or AVC (even at SD resolution) they very well could probably fit more than 5 without perceived quality loss. On Blu-ray you can bet Warner wouldn't try 7 episodes with MPEG2.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #1372 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I can't remember off the top of my head what Paramount did with TOS Blu-ray sets. I want to say 5 episodes per disc, but I can't say for sure.

Yup, TOS has up to 5 episodes per disc, and at nearly 50 minutes apiece.
post #1373 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post

I highly doubt they went through all this effort and money just to archive them at 1080p resolution.

I bet they're being archived at 4k or even higher like The Wizard of Oz was. They don't want to have to do this **** again in another 10 years.
post #1374 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 06:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post

They don't want to have to do this **** again in another 10 years.

I doubt studios care about future-proofing for 4K. The vast majority of studio blockbusters with digital intermediates will be forever locked at 2K resolution...there is nothing that could ever be done for movies such as those.
post #1375 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

TNG on Blu-ray looks spectacular enough without needing any higher-res anyway.

The fact we are getting what we are getting already is a bloody miracle if you ask me, and I think we should all be grateful at the results we are getting based on this sample disc. I didn't think I would see TNG on Blu any time soon to be honest, even just 12-18 months ago, but here it is.
post #1376 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX View Post

TNG on Blu-ray looks spectacular enough without needing any higher-res anyway.

The fact we are getting what we are getting already is a bloody miracle if you ask me, and I think we should all be grateful at the results we are getting based on this sample disc. I didn't think I would see TNG on Blu any time soon to be honest, even just 12-18 months ago, but here it is.

I agree! And I'm still kinda in a daze.
post #1377 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRW View Post

The vast majority of studio blockbusters with digital intermediates will be forever locked at 2K resolution...there is nothing that could ever be done for movies such as those.

Well, there is something that could be done; it just isn't terribly likely.

I don't feel special...
post #1378 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotron View Post

Just watched that scene. Plays perfectly fine, no glitch or dropoff. Playing this on my OPPO BDP-93 and Denon AVR-4310CI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbsyst View Post

Maxwell, I checked my copy also and don't hear a glitch. I listened to "understand" a few times just to be sure. I'm playing on a Panasonic DMP-BD210 Blu-ray player to a DVDO Edge Scaler and Yamaha RX-V565. Watching on a 92" screen projected with a Optima HD-33. Oh, and bye the way this is quite possibly the most amazing transfer imaginable for this show. I got goosebumps.

Hmm. It's a very subtle digital skip. Very hard to hear, but I believe you both when you say you don't hear anything. Must be my copy then. I've tried it on two old model PS3s (60GB and 40GB) as well as a Panasonic DMP-BD75. It's still there on that 7.1 track on all devices, whether through an amp or direct to an HDTV. Very strange. I can live with it though, especially since I'll get the episode again later this summer/fall.

Thank you both.
post #1379 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teiresias View Post

The 7.1 mix seems odd to me on my system. I only have a 5.1 system, so maybe my AV Receiver is downmixing it in an odd way, but a good deal of the score seems to get pushed into the rear surrounds, which just sounds very odd to me.

Forgive me for jumping in here.

Teiresias, did you ever figure out what the issue was? I just gave the TNG-HD disc a go tonight, and I've tried it on two different Blu-ray players (my usual PS3, and a Panasonic model) through my Denon AVR-1909 with 7.1 setup (which usually sounds phenomenal), and it sounds really weird to me too.

As far as I can tell, it sounds almost like there's level compression applied to all of the tracks separately, so the surrounds sound a lot hotter than they should, and there's some weird jumps in levels. The latter is especially noticeable during the opening title sequence on "Farpoint", in the pause between the horn phrases in the score, the levels get really hot, and when the horns come back in, they're really loud, but then it's as if the compressor compensates and the levels go back down. It's super noticeable, like the attack setting on the compressor is REALLY slow.

I investigated every setting I could get my hands on, but there didn't seem to be any compression applied anywhere in my chain, and it still did it even if I turned off my usual Audyssey EQ. I figure something in my chain must be wonky, as I find it hard to believe they'd screw up the remix this bad, and there's very few people complaining about it.

Not sure what to investigate, as the system usually sounds great. Not sure that I've ever played any other "DTS Master" streams, though, so maybe that's a clue? Any suggestions welcome.
post #1380 of 2440 Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboszko View Post

Forgive me for jumping in here.

Teiresias, did you ever figure out what the issue was? I just gave the TNG-HD disc a go tonight, and I've tried it on two different Blu-ray players (my usual PS3, and a Panasonic model) through my Denon AVR-1909 with 7.1 setup (which usually sounds phenomenal), and it sounds really weird to me too.

As far as I can tell, it sounds almost like there's level compression applied to all of the tracks separately, so the surrounds sound a lot hotter than they should, and there's some weird jumps in levels. The latter is especially noticeable during the opening title sequence on "Farpoint", in the pause between the horn phrases in the score, the levels get really hot, and when the horns come back in, they're really loud, but then it's as if the compressor compensates and the levels go back down. It's super noticeable, like the attack setting on the compressor is REALLY slow.

I investigated every setting I could get my hands on, but there didn't seem to be any compression applied anywhere in my chain, and it still did it even if I turned off my usual Audyssey EQ. I figure something in my chain must be wonky, as I find it hard to believe they'd screw up the remix this bad, and there's very few people complaining about it.

Not sure what to investigate, as the system usually sounds great. Not sure that I've ever played any other "DTS Master" streams, though, so maybe that's a clue? Any suggestions welcome.

Wow, I didn't hear anything like that on my system. Are you sure you don't have night mode or dynamic range compression activated somewhere in your system chain. I was watching The Phantom Menace Laser Disc the other day and noticed the AC-3 audio didn't sound as spectacular as I remember and then discovered I had dynamic range compression activated in my Yamaha receiver. Turned it off and boy what a difference. Back to amazing jaw dropping audio.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection First Contact Generations Insurrection Nemes

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page