Star Trek TNG Seasons Remastered on Blu-Ray - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1591 of 2438 Old 05-08-2012, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm really glad to have awaited this long to buy the TNG dvds... Hopefully they wont make us wait 10 years to have the whole collection on BD

Now if they can do the same with ToS and Voyager I will be really happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 2438 Old 05-08-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I have good news for you. ToS is already done.
post #1593 of 2438 Old 05-08-2012, 04:02 PM

Liked: 11
Perhaps you meant Deep Space Nine?

Really hope they do that one, even if that is a bit of a pipe dream... But then Paramount does enjoy milking Star Trek for more and more cash, so you never know!
post #1594 of 2438 Old 05-08-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I really don't want to derail the thread, but I never watched DS9. I just couldn't bring myself to watch it because I think the whole premise of the show is that they just sit there in a space station somewhere and never go anywhere and wait for others to come to them. Am I totally wrong, or is that pretty much what happens?
post #1595 of 2438 Old 05-08-2012, 04:34 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr View Post

I really don't want to derail the thread, but I never watched DS9. I just couldn't bring myself to watch it because I think the whole premise of the show is that they just sit there in a space station somewhere and never go anywhere and wait for others to come to them. Am I totally wrong, or is that pretty much what happens?

Totally wrong. They also added quite a bit season, season to season, and entire series plot archs too. With it wasn't exactly serial, it wasn't episodic either, but a good combination. It's where Ronald D Moore of BSG fame got his chops in the producer chair.

First few season were hit or miss, but that's every Trek. They eventually went to war, and even got their own ship.

The characters were by far the most interesting and nuanced of any Trek, and unlike VOY, the writers had respect for their creations. In fact the whole show was more nuanced, since it was on frontier of federation space, next to a wormhole to 1/2 across the unexplored universe.

Give it a run, most people think it's the best trek offered.
post #1596 of 2438 Old 05-08-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It still sounds like they never go anywhere until they get their own ship later in the series. How do they get anywhere without a ship? I will stop asking after this post to get back to the main topic.
post #1597 of 2438 Old 05-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG View Post

Perhaps you meant Deep Space Nine?

Really hope they do that one, even if that is a bit of a pipe dream... But then Paramount does enjoy milking Star Trek for more and more cash, so you never know!

Yes, exactly, thought Deep Space Nine and wrote ToS....thanks
post #1598 of 2438 Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It still sounds like they never go anywhere until they get their own ship later in the series. How do they get anywhere without a ship? I will stop asking after this post to get back to the main topic.

On the contrary, the station had three Danube-class Runabouts that are capable of warp 5. Throughout season 1 and 2, they get away plenty. In the pilot episode, they discover a stable wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant of which the entire series revolves around (since it is a major reason for the entire series, I hope you don't consider that a spoiler). Despite that, with thousands of people on the space station, there are many excellent episodes that don't require visiting other planets.

I agree with the previous poster. DS9 is the best Trek series to date.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

post #1599 of 2438 Old 05-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

I just finished watching all of DS9 for the first time lately.

It is unbelievably good. Best show ever. I'm serious. Blows away even TNG as a whole. TNG had way too many average episodes, but a few excellent ones. DS9 has a very very high number of great episodes, about 4/5 are excellent. There were only about 4-5 episodes in the whole series I thought were 'bad' (the two episodes regarding O'Brien and the Orion Syndicate come to mind).

It also doesn't need a new remaster overhaul as badly as TNG either... PQ on seasons 5-7 of DS9 is really good actually for SD. The DD 5.1 is pretty average by today's standards tho in terms of impact... but I only watched it in stereo anyway. But it really needs a whole new remix to make it sound really good.
post #1600 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
#1 reason to watch DS9:

More Mr. Worf!!

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #1601 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER View Post

#1 reason to watch DS9:
More Mr. Worf!!

Don't forget Martok!

I watched DS9 back when it aired, but I'm rewatching the whole series on Netflix because my wife has never seen it (currently midway through season 7). Unlike TOS and TNG, DS9 broke several Trek traditions: active starship exploration, the episodic template, clean/uncompromising leadership. The world was darker, dirtier, broken, and full of espionage. The lead characters weren't all Starfleet and each person had some wicked demons. Plus there were many, many recurring characters vital to the overall arc. The show was more about holding ground against tyranny without succumbing to it. It was almost prophetic given our current government/social state.

There were just as many filler episodes as TNG, but they stood out in a much more obvious way due to the serial nature of all the other episodes. If they left out the baseball and Fontaine/holosuite episodes, I think the show would have been much better overall. "Better" might be too subjective... The show would have been much more focused. I always looked forward to the serial episodes and despised the departure episodes.

I know I've said this before, probably about 1,000 posts ago, but I still feel that the show came into its own toward the end of season 3/beginning season 4. Hopefully without spoiling too much: Defiant, Worf, Sisko's goate and bald head. From that point on, everything just gets better IMO.

I'm not sure if I read this here or if I read it online, so take this with a heavy dose of salt, but DS9 was shot 16:9 safe? If so, I'd love to see the Blu-ray opened up (if they do a Blu-ray). Hopefully they still have all the digital FX elements stored somewhere and they could do a Pixar ala Toy Story 1 and just re-render everything to 4K, maybe replace a few suspect textures... and those horrid CG explosions...

Back on topic, my birthday is in July - TNG Blu-ray Season 1 here I come!
post #1602 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the information. Sounds good. If it ever comes on Blu-ray I will probably purchase it. If I happen to notice it playing on TV, I will give it a shot too, although I may not know what is going on if it is in the middle of the series.
post #1603 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

I think wishing that DS9 were a "space ship" show instead of a "space station" show really misses the whole point of these series. In the original series the "travel" of the ship was a few seconds of crude starfield effects and a plastic model hanging on a string. The powerful stories about bigotry, war, etc that were portrayed in the show, along with the great character chemistry are what made it great. Whether the characters travel to the plot, or the plot travels to the characters is really not material to the parts of Trek that make it great.

As far as DS9 as a show, I also think its easily one of the best Treks. Starts of pretty slow but just gets amazing as the seasons progress.
post #1604 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER View Post

#1 reason to watch DS9:

More Mr. Worf!!

#2 Reason: Garak
post #1605 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnerd View Post

I think wishing that DS9 were a "space ship" show instead of a "space station" show really misses the whole point of these series. In the original series the "travel" of the ship was a few seconds of crude starfield effects and a plastic model hanging on a string. The powerful stories about bigotry, war, etc that were portrayed in the show, along with the great character chemistry are what made it great. Whether the characters travel to the plot, or the plot travels to the characters is really not material to the parts of Trek that make it great.

As far as DS9 as a show, I also think its easily one of the best Treks. Starts of pretty slow but just gets amazing as the seasons progress.

Calling the TOS Enterprise a "plastic model hanging on a string" does it a disservice, but otherwise I totally agree with your sentiments. Trek is about telling a good story with characters you care about, and DS9 introduced that all-too-rare aspect of lengthy plot arcs into the mix, which is why I love it so. I've even come around to the much-maligned Enterprise precisely because they also started to give us proper arcs instead of hitting that GODDAMNED reset button every week.
post #1606 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Calling the TOS Enterprise a "plastic model hanging on a string" does it a disservice, but otherwise I totally agree with your sentiments. Trek is about telling a good story with characters you care about, and DS9 introduced that all-too-rare aspect of lengthy plot arcs into the mix, which is why I love it so. I've even come around to the much-maligned Enterprise precisely because they also started to give us proper arcs instead of hitting that GODDAMNED reset button every week.

Is there a Blu-ray for Enterprise? It was shot in HD wasn't it?
Derp, a quick Google search answered that. 1. No. 2. From TrekBBS, not sure if reliable:
Quote:

It was filmed in 1080p/24 in 2004/5. So those D1 Digital Video masters already exist, they simply downgraded the quality for a second generation D2 master - standard DVD and Digital broadcast. Prior to that, the program was mastered from the film stock to a HD format anyway, in much the same way movies are transferred to a master for Blu Ray manufacture today.

I've actually only seen two or three episodes, but I've been meaning to sit down and watch the whole series. Blalock. OMG.
post #1607 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Is there a Blu-ray for Enterprise? It was shot in HD wasn't it?
Derp, a quick Google search answered that. 1. No. 2. From TrekBBS, not sure if reliable:

I've actually only seen two or three episodes, but I've been meaning to sit down and watch the whole series. Blalock. OMG.

The show had HD masters for all four seasons - and the last season was shot on HDCAM - for eventual HD syndication broadcast, but none of the VFX was ever done at HD resolution as that would take too long with the technology of the time and multiple CGI vendors. If you want to watch the series in HD, just go on Netflix and you can watch it all. It's quite nice.
post #1608 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

The show had HD masters for all four seasons - and the last season was shot on HDCAM - for eventual HD syndication broadcast, but none of the VFX was ever done at HD resolution as that would take too long with the technology of the time and multiple CGI vendors. If you want to watch the series in HD, just go on Netflix and you can watch it all. It's quite nice.

Weird. HD live action with SD FX? Shame. I might just hold out. After we're done watching DS9, I'll make the Mrs. watch Voyager start to finish. If we finish that and Enterprise still isn't en route to Blu-ray, we'll watch it on Netflix.
post #1609 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Weird. HD live action with SD FX? Shame. I might just hold out. After we're done watching DS9, I'll make the Mrs. watch Voyager start to finish. If we finish that and Enterprise still isn't en route to Blu-ray, we'll watch it on Netflix.

Enterprise started out with SD-ish resolution FX when the series began but by the end of its run the VFX routinely exceeded 1k resolution.

Bottom line the FX weren't full HD but it wasn't quite SD either.

This info straight from Doug Drexler.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #1610 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Back when HDNet was still a cable network, it routinely showed episodes of Enterprise in high bitrate HD. (They had lots of shows, like Smallville and Arrested Development, too).

post #1611 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Amazon Prime also shows Enterprise in HD, but not with 5.1 sound.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #1612 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

#2 Reason: Garak

#3 Reason: Quark
post #1613 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Personally, I'm a big fan of O'Brien. It's a toss-up between O'Brien and Garak as my two favorite characters.

post #1614 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnerd View Post

I really get what you are saying, and I understand that everyone is saying DS9 has great qualities for all of the reasons stated. It is most likely worth me watching for those merits as everyone here seems to really like it.

With that being said, the show is called Star TREK, not Star To Sit By And Don't Go Anywhere. I like the idea of exploring the stars and seeing what is out there. It's not about the few seconds of travel. It's about what's there when you get there. I am one of those who really liked Voyager. The main reason is because they went to an unreachable part of the universe that until then had never been explored by people from Earth (except the dinosaurs, lol), so everything would be new and unexpected.

So with all of that said, DS9 is probably great (like a lot of other shows), and I probably would like it, but I crave exploration, and sitting there is not exploration, hence my apprehension to giving the show a look when it was on. Since everyone really likes it, and it has to do with space, I am now open to watching it.

Sorry I really derailed this thread.
post #1615 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Calling the TOS Enterprise a "plastic model hanging on a string" does it a disservice

True, I was trying to underscore a point, but yes the effects are pretty cool for what they are. I love TOS, its still my all time favorite of all the Trek shows.
post #1616 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry I really derailed this thread.

Makes for some great filler while we wait for more TNG Blu-Rays
post #1617 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

With that being said, the show is called Star TREK, not Star To Sit By And Don't Go Anywhere. I like the idea of exploring the stars and seeing what is out there.

To be fair, then... Only Voyager and Enterprise truly lived up to that aspect.

Star Trek and TNG as well as DS9 routinely went to parts of space that the Federation had been lots of times before! With a few exceptions, those shows didn't go into unknown space much.

Voyager, and Enterprise to a slightly lesser degree, largely went to places no other "Federation" (in quotes since Enterprise predates the Federation) ship had been.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1618 of 2438 Old 05-09-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With that being said, the show is called Star TREK, not Star To Sit By And Don't Go Anywhere. I like the idea of exploring the stars and seeing what is out there. It's not about the few seconds of travel. It's about what's there when you get there.

With that being said, I refer back to my earlier post about DS9, where much of the story does take place in the stars. In the pilot episode, they discover a stable wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant, so arguably Deep Space 9 takes our characters further away than all of the other Star Trek series (with the obvious exception of Voyager). In fact, it contrasts with Voyager because while Voyager was all on its own in the Delta Quadrant, The Defiant and the various Runabouts were backed up by the Federation in charting these strange new worlds.

Trust me, there is plenty of space exploration going on in Deep Space 9. Shoot, one of the best episodes of Deep Space 9 is a Season 6 episode where our intrepid crew are racing through space to a planet six days away at maximum warp, far away from the next nearest ship.

post #1619 of 2438 Old 05-10-2012, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Now it's sounding better!
post #1620 of 2438 Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:

With that being said, the show is called Star TREK, not Star To Sit By And Don't Go Anywhere.

Heh. Roddenberry would take issue with that. The Trek part on it's face was a ship going to strange new worlds. But it really was a Trek into the exploration of the human condition. The space ship was just a gimmick to get people tuned in.

also a quote:
Quote:
You just don't get it, do you, Jean-Luc? The trial never ends. We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons. And for one brief moment, you did...

...For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. *That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection First Contact Generations Insurrection Nemes

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page