post #1652 of 2449 Old 05-17-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

I'm guessing you haven't bought any films on Blu-ray you already have on DVD.

Not as many as you'd think, and none of Star Trek. And a number of those were through trade-in upgrade programs. We're talking a single season of TV here. For all of TNG, that's over $800. Still worth it? And that's just TNG.. what if they decide to do this to all the others as well? That's another eighteen seasons, over $2,000. Still worth it?

I'm not arguing that the set isn't worth upgrading to, but I'll be damned if I'm paying that much a second time. They bent me over with all those DVD sets, they're not doing it again.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #1653 of 2449 Old 05-18-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

Universal made a mistake on Back to the Future II and III DVDs when they were first released in 2002. They re-mastered the video and pressed new discs and mailed replacements to anyone who asked.

Sure... studios will replace discs that had mistakes... but TNG isn't being released with a mistake. They have a known issue (2 seconds of missing footage) and decided to go forward with it. There's no logical reason for them to go forward AND then replace discs if they find the footage later. Don't hold your breath on that one.

IF they even thought that might happen, it would be far cheaper to wait. When they correct mistakes, like you noted, they didn't have a chance to avoid pressing incorrect discs because the mistake happened and nobody knew in time to stop production.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1654 of 2449 Old 05-19-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Not as many as you'd think, and none of Star Trek. And a number of those were through trade-in upgrade programs. We're talking a single season of TV here. For all of TNG, that's over $800. Still worth it? And that's just TNG.. what if they decide to do this to all the others as well? That's another eighteen seasons, over $2,000. Still worth it?

As a huge TREK fan, I say yes. As many times as I've played those DVDs I got a decent return on investment.

For the Blu-ray, even at $100 it's still less than the DVDs just on inflation alone. Picture quality isn't just improved by the jump to 1080p, but a whole new assembly and transfer of the original elements. Lossless audio, and new extras. Win-win here.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #1655 of 2449 Old 05-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After thinking about it for a while 2 seconds on one episode is not bad considering all the factors involved like the fact that it is 25 years old and that there are so many reels of film to get through. Two seconds is so short amount of time that no one is really going to notice. Don't get me wrong I would prefer it if every second of every episodes filmed elements were found but two seconds I can live with. And while they may not exchange the disks when or if the missing footage is located it is possible that given the amount of time between now and when the HD version of the show goes into HD syndication or Netflix in HD that the missing footage be added to that.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #1656 of 2449 Old 05-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Do Not Want!

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

post #1657 of 2449 Old 05-22-2012, 03:41 AM

Liked: 14
Finally showed up on Amazon.com for pre-order at a head-scratching $90.99 with a list price of $129.99.

Well, I already submitted DVD Empire's and Walmart's lower prices to them. I suppose if enough of us do it, it'll come down.

Here are their URL's, the prices and the shipping costs:

DVD Empire
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_ite...434&site_id=69
$79.99
free shipping

Walmart
http://www.walmart.com/ip/20933550
$78.86
$1.97 shipping

EDIT (two more):

DVD Planet
http://www.dvdplanet.com/details.cfm/info/293447X
$80.79
free shipping

Buy.com
http://www.buy.com/prod/star-trek-ne...231792059.html
$74.99
$2.90 shipping
post #1658 of 2449 Old 05-22-2012, 12:45 PM

I think amazons list price is 10 bucks higher then everyone else.

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #1659 of 2449 Old 05-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Amazon's traditionally pretty good about this sort of thing, and we're still two months out...no doubt they'll drop their price to the same level as everybody else at some point before release.

And now I'm morbidly curious about how that scene in Conspiracy will look...

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #1660 of 2449 Old 05-22-2012, 04:09 PM

Liked: 832
I'm surprised no one tracked it down yet like they did with SOTF. At 2 seconds it's got to be a quick action cut, or quick gfx setup shot.

The SOTF scene in the disc was barely noticeable, and a change in clarity on a 2 second action shot is going to be even less worry some.
post #1661 of 2449 Old 05-22-2012, 05:46 PM

I'm wondering how you lose 2 seconds of something. It's not like there are reels of film where only 2 seconds were actually used. Losing 10 minutes of something would make a lot more sense.

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
post #1662 of 2449 Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I'm surprised no one tracked it down yet like they did with SOTF. At 2 seconds it's got to be a quick action cut, or quick gfx setup shot.

That's my hunch as well. And this is totally a guess, but this shot here is just over 48 frames long:

post #1663 of 2449 Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzRoy View Post

I'm wondering how you lose 2 seconds of something. It's not like there are reels of film where only 2 seconds were actually used. Losing 10 minutes of something would make a lot more sense.

They probably lost an entire shot/setup. The final edited shot would have been 2 seconds but there would have been a lot more footage in that reel.

post #1664 of 2449 Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

They probably lost an entire shot/setup. The final edited shot would have been 2 seconds but there would have been a lot more footage in that reel.

That's what I was thinking... It might have been 2 seconds of final footage after editing, but it could have been a half hour of actual footage that they shot over the course of several hours of resetting and shooting over and over again until they got what they wanted to piece together the 2 seconds they wanted in that shot.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #1665 of 2449 Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzRoy View Post

Editing?

They didn't have a master reel in any sense as far as I know, but only the original cut negatives and dailies.

Lost is probably not the right word, misplaced seems to be the right one. SOTF the idea was it was probably misfiled when years later someone went looking for stock footage to use in ENT (or for whatever reason X). Same could have happened here.
post #1666 of 2449 Old 05-23-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Data was a Sith?
post #1667 of 2449 Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr View Post

Data was a Sith?

Only on Tuesdays.

I don't feel special...
post #1668 of 2449 Old 06-09-2012, 08:51 PM

I am surprised no one has posted this sooner but two episodes of the remastered season one of the next generation will be shown in theaters. More information on that can be found here.

Anyone thinking of going? The episodes are Where No One Has Gone Before and Datalore which I have heard are some of the better episodes from season one.

post #1669 of 2449 Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post

I am surprised no one has posted this sooner but two episodes of the remastered season one of the next generation will be shown in theaters. More information on that can be found here.
Anyone thinking of going? The episodes are Where No One Has Gone Before and Datalore which I have heard are some of the better episodes from season one.

Unfortunately I've heard they'll be projected using that system they use to show ads and the paid previews and are not actually D-Cinema projection.

If they were full blown 2K cinema presentations I'd be interested.

post #1670 of 2449 Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 79
List of participating theaters. I'm going! Probably the AMC Arbor Lakes Megastar 16 in Maple Grove, MN.

http://www.fathomevents.com/upcoming/alllocations.aspx?eventid=1096
post #1671 of 2449 Old 06-11-2012, 10:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

List of participating theaters. I'm going! Probably the AMC Arbor Lakes Megastar 16 in Maple Grove, MN.
http://www.fathomevents.com/upcoming/alllocations.aspx?eventid=1096

Awesome! I'll most likely try to attend the event as well in my area!

THX
post #1672 of 2449 Old 06-14-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Unfortunately I've heard they'll be projected using that system they use to show ads and the paid previews and are not actually D-Cinema projection.
If they were full blown 2K cinema presentations I'd be interested.

Dang, I really hope you're wrong (or that this applies to a small minority of theaters), most D-Cinema projectors are perfectly capable of screening HD. Otherwise I might as well watch it at home...
post #1673 of 2449 Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewL View Post

Dang, I really hope you're wrong (or that this applies to a small minority of theaters), most D-Cinema projectors are perfectly capable of screening HD. Otherwise I might as well watch it at home...

According to NCM Fathom's own literature, their events are shown on advertising projectors (see illustration on page 2):

http://www.ncm.com/content/pdf/National_CineMedia_Digital_Content_Network_DCN_Fact_Sheet.pdf
post #1674 of 2449 Old 06-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post

According to NCM Fathom's own literature, their events are shown on advertising projectors (see illustration on page 2):
http://www.ncm.com/content/pdf/National_CineMedia_Digital_Content_Network_DCN_Fact_Sheet.pdf

confused.gif

Well... f*** that.
post #1675 of 2449 Old 06-15-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I have never been to a Fathom event, so this is just a theory but...all the "FirstLook" stuff that I've seen is always played with the lights in the theater up. Is it possible that those projectors could still look decent with the lights set at the correct movie levels?

Rocky
post #1676 of 2449 Old 06-15-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF View Post

I have never been to a Fathom event, so this is just a theory but...all the "FirstLook" stuff that I've seen is always played with the lights in the theater up. Is it possible that those projectors could still look decent with the lights set at the correct movie levels?

No, not really. That's why they don't use them for the feature.

I don't feel special...
post #1677 of 2449 Old 06-15-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post

It also says that "Virtually all of the screens in the network are capable of presenting pre-recorded Standard and High Definition content " I think I am going to see it anyways because I really want to see the exclusive look at the restoration of season one and interviews with the cast.

post #1678 of 2449 Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:

It also says that "Virtually all of the screens in the network are capable of presenting pre-recorded Standard and High Definition content " I think I am going to see it anyways because I really want to see the exclusive look at the restoration of season one and interviews with the cast.

As I'm sure you're aware, "capable of presenting" doesn't ensure the projector will be full HD. Advertising projectors can vary in resolution from XGA (1024 x 768) to WUXGA (1920 x 1200). There's no harm in calling your theater and finding out what they have. Just let them know why you're interested. What you want to hear from them is that they have a 1920 x 1080 advertising projector in the auditorium the Fathom event is going to be in. That'll be the best this can look given the circumstances.

http://www.christiedigital.com/en-us/business/products/projectors/Pages/default.aspx

Also, most of that exclusive content will be on the blu-ray the following day. It's only the preview of season two that will be exclusive to the Fathom event -- a look at "The Measure of a Man." That could be a minute or two for all we know. The event is billed as being 2 hours, 30 minutes. The two episodes take up 90 minutes and we know the Blu-ray will have a new 90 minute doc on the making of season one and another doc about the restoration, which is an unknown length.
post #1679 of 2449 Old 06-16-2012, 12:25 AM

I will be seeing it at a reasonably new theater in a hotel so I am not concerned too much about the equipment. As for the exclusive content being on the Blu-ray the next day, yes great but I do not have 80 bucks to spend on a season of star trek (I am in college). I want to see it in theaters and do what I can to support this effort of paramount because they are after all doing it the right way and I am itching to see how other episodes look then just the ones on the sampler.

post #1680 of 2449 Old 06-16-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

I will be seeing it at a reasonably new theater in a hotel so I am not concerned too much about the equipment. As for the exclusive content being on the Blu-ray the next day, yes great but I do not have 80 bucks to spend on a season of star trek (I am in college). I want to see it in theaters and do what I can to support this effort of paramount because they are after all doing it the right way and I am itching to see how other episodes look then just the ones on the sampler.

it's being shown at Red Rock... I will be there.

VPI Classic 2/Soundsmith Aida
Parks Audio Budgie Pre Amp - Budgie SUT - Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse
Pioneer SC85 - Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio - Klipsch RC64II - Klipsch SW115
Samsung PN64D8000 - OPPO BDP93
Klipsch Image Ones - Klipsch x11i
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection First Contact Generations Insurrection Nemes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page