Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1801 of 2449 Old 07-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I see that Amazon is matching the Best Buy price at the moment. I was going to wait until the full series was available, but it is tempting at the more reasonable price point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 2449 Old 07-20-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I looked through he episode list and and I'd say there's about 6-7 great episodes, 3-4 ok ones, which leaves 12-13 meh', IMO of course. Not too bad, but not great either. It's a season that gets kids hooked thought, and the more adult and refined stories come a bit later.
Second season does get a bad wrap, as there's some really good stuff there.

Plastic? Or Reynolds? biggrin.gif

The first half of the second season was just awful, but I chalk that up to trying to get the team up to speed after the writer's strike that year. Entire planned arcs over the summer (such as the destruction of the Romulan Empire at the hands of the Borg, who were to be revealed gradually) were thrown out. After winter break they found their groove and some real gems started showing up, like The Measure of a Man and Q*Who. But suffering through episodes like Loud As A Whisper or The Outrageous Okona is a real chore. So some of the rap is justified. wink.gif
FestusGandhi likes this.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #1803 of 2449 Old 07-20-2012, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Where Silence Has Lease, Contagion, Unnatural Selection, Measure of a Man, A Matter of Honor, The Icarus Factor, Q Who and Peak Performance I consider strong episodes. There are about a half dozen just 'ok' episodes, and several chores to watch (Dauphin, Okona, Shades of Gray, Child, Up the Long Ladder)

Shades of Gray will likely be a nice breather for the remaster team. Over 50% of the episode is already done. I will make it a point to watch every episode, including stinkers like Code of Honor and Angel One, but I think I'll skip the clip show.
post #1804 of 2449 Old 07-21-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack View Post

I see that Amazon is matching the Best Buy price at the moment. I was going to wait until the full series was available, but it is tempting at the more reasonable price point.
That actually made me pull the trigger on it. $80 was a no sell, $70 was iffy but $60 is a no brainer. Considering how much the seasons were on DVD at much lower quality, I have no issue collecting them if they stay at this price point.
FestusGandhi likes this.
post #1805 of 2449 Old 07-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 77
It was my birthday and my parents were kind. It should be arriving soon... biggrin.gif
post #1806 of 2449 Old 07-21-2012, 10:00 PM

I bought the show back in 2002 for $110 each season. I got them each from Best Buy which came with an exclusive disc in each set. I sold the whole set in 2007 for $500 (some guy just HAD to have all the BB bonus discs). The prospect of re-buying the series for $420 in HD is quite pleasing.
post #1807 of 2449 Old 07-22-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Season 1 would ordinarily be the last season I'd consider. It looks like they are trying to suck us in at $54 so we'll pay more for later seasons. But hey- it is $54!

It is useless to resist!
post #1808 of 2449 Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Season 1 would ordinarily be the last season I'd consider. It looks like they are trying to suck us in at $54 so we'll pay more for later seasons. But hey- it is $54!
It is useless to resist!
"Resistance is futile." Don't we have to wait for a later season to hear that line? smile.gif What will be interesting is to see what the prices will be for S2, S3, etc. I'd love for them to be <= $60 even with the Star Trek tax that Paramount demands. But like a drug dealer, they may suck us in with a low price for S1 and bump up the price for later seasons.

Bazinga!

post #1809 of 2449 Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is Best Buy offering this at the $59.99 price through the entire week or just for the pre-order. The weekly ad doesn't include a price which makes me wonder if Tuesdays street date price will actually be $79.99.
post #1810 of 2449 Old 07-22-2012, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Is Best Buy offering this at the $59.99 price through the entire week or just for the pre-order. The weekly ad doesn't include a price which makes me wonder if Tuesdays street date price will actually be $79.99.

My weekly ad showed it at $59.

Go Duke !
post #1811 of 2449 Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

My weekly ad showed it at $59.

Amazon has it for 59.99 also.

Bill
post #1812 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I went to the theater for the 25th Anniversary event. They showed some of the extras (I assume) from the blu-ray before,in between, and after the 2 episodes. I have to admit, when "Where No One has Gone Before" started the first shot of the crew on the bridge scared me a bit. It looked really soft. The shot only lasted about 2-3 seconds. Most of the episode looked great. Some shots still showed some softness but all in all it did look pretty good. "Datalore" was really interesting to see considering the work that went into recreating the crystalline entity. It looked great. The entity was featured in one of the extras we saw.

People enjoyed themselves, even clapping after each episode. Funniest audience reaction came during the preview of season 2 when they showed Guinen... loud boos were heard!

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #1813 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 04:23 AM

What on earth do people have against Guinen?
post #1814 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG View Post

Completely guessing here, but perhaps they were booing the actress and not the character.

Three years ago, Whoopi Goldberg expressed her completely misguided belief that the moon landings were faked on "The View." And this being just two days after the anniversary of Apollo 11, perhaps these people in the theater were just showing respect for actual history and are appalled that she's involved with Star Trek.

I'm probably giving those people in the theater too much credit, though.
post #1815 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post

Completely guessing here, but perhaps they were booing the actress and not the character.

That's how we took it. My wife really likes Guinen, but she doesn't like Whoopi.

I have never liked Whoopi and I cringed at first when she was brought onboard the TNG cast. I ended up liking the character though.

post #1816 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post

Three years ago, Whoopi Goldberg expressed her completely misguided belief that the moon landings were faked on "The View." And this being just two days after the anniversary of Apollo 11, perhaps these people in the theater were just showing respect for actual history and are appalled that she's involved with Star Trek.
I'm probably giving those people in the theater too much credit, though.

Probably has more to do with the misquote of her "supporting" Roman Polanski. She was trying to talk about what he got charged with before fleeing and others unfairly picked it up as her saying he didn't rape that girl and ran with it.

The moon stuff is bonkers though, but she's right when a lot of people believe it was faked. I'm wondering how you fake a putting a 3 foot prism mirror on the moon though.

Been following you about the audio issues / authoring over at trekBBS, want to post it here? Any word back from you buddy or CBSEntertainment?
post #1817 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Guinan - you all spelled it wrong rolleyes.gif - was a very interesting character, but I think they handled her poorly. TNG never fleshed out what made her (or her species) so unique or why Q was so afraid of her or how she could perceive timeline changes, etc. She was little more than a old and mysterious sage.

As far as Whoopi, the person, is concerned, she's not very interesting. Of what I've seen and heard of her through the years, she has bizarre views, a vapid intellect, and the unfortunate opportunity to share it on a popular TV show. Unfortunate for humanity, that is. To her credit, she was entertaining in Jumpin' Jack Flash and Sister Act...
post #1818 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 AM

Bill Hunt's review is up: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews072312.html

Seems there's some audio issues though.

Via Max:
Quote:
Here's the list I've compiled of where dialogue can be heard in the mix (please correct me if I've made a mistake):

FL = front left
C = center
FR = front right

"Encounter at Farpoint" - C, FR
"The Naked Now" - C
"Code of Honor" - C
"The Last Outpost" - C
"Where No One Has Gone Before" - C
"Lonely Among Us" - C
"Justice" - C
"The Battle" - C
"Hide and Q" - FL, C, FR
"Haven" - FL, C, FR
"The Big Goodbye" - FL, C, FR
"Datalore" - FL, C, FR
"Angel One" - C
"11001001" - FL, C, FR
"Too Short a Season" - FL, C, FR
"When the Bough Breaks" - C
"Home Soil" - C
"Coming of Age" - C
"Heart of Glory" - C
"The Arsenal of Freedom" - C
"Symbiosis" - C
"Skin of Evil" - C
"We'll Always Have Paris" - C
"Conspiracy" - C
"The Neutral Zone" - C

Also wondering why almost none of the reviews have mentioned the lossy 2.0 track... Seems audio isn't given the attention it used to get. Or maybe reliving Trek of old in glorious HD is just got these geezers so excited they're missing things! wink.gif

TrekBBS has also mentioned color consistency issues between Season 1 and the Season 2 clip. I agree, and am wondering if going the two production studio route is going to cause some consistency issues with FX, color timing and saturation levels.
post #1819 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

Guinan - you all spelled it wrong rolleyes.gif - was a very interesting character, but I think they handled her poorly. TNG never fleshed out what made her (or her species) so unique or why Q was so afraid of her or how she could perceive timeline changes, etc. She was little more than a old and mysterious sage.
As far as Whoopi, the person, is concerned, she's not very interesting. Of what I've seen and heard of her through the years, she has bizarre views, a vapid intellect, and the unfortunate opportunity to share it on a popular TV show. Unfortunate for humanity, that is. To her credit, she was entertaining in Jumpin' Jack Flash and Sister Act...

Before she became a movie star, she did one (or a few?) brilliant comedy routines where she played multiple characters, such as a child, a drug addict, etc.. That's what first brought her fame, I believe.

Doug
post #1820 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Yeah, it's really odd that no-one seems to have mentioned the 2.0 audio at all.
post #1821 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Also wondering why almost none of the reviews have mentioned the lossy 2.0 track... Seems audio isn't given the attention it used to get. Or maybe reliving Trek of old in glorious HD is just got these geezers so excited they're missing things! wink.gif

I think review sites feel they're under pressure to get reviews out as soon as possible. With a big boxset like this one, I doubt they had time to watch everything. They probably just sampled a few bits here and there, and didn't even pay attention to the sound.

We just need to take any review with a grain of salt, and take them all into consideration along with our own viewing/listening experience.

Doug
post #1822 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

The sound seemed weak in the theater. I didn't know whether it was the theater's sound system or volume settings. The interviews and extras were louder, bolder, and clearer than the episodes. I certainly did not hear any activity in the surrounds. We were seated in the center of the theater, slightly closer to the front.

post #1823 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 01:14 PM

I really enjoyed seeing it in theaters because not only did I see to episodes but also some of the bonus features. I also laughed a lot at some of the dialog "Shut up wesley".

You can never judge a show by its pilot episode or the half season following it.
post #1824 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
dvdtalk.com is reporting the sound mixing issues as well.Sounds like a replacement disc program is forthcoming.
post #1825 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG View Post

I greatly dislike her, Troi, and all Crushers.
post #1826 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 03:00 PM

Liked: 10
Is the US version All regions?? I see at Amazon it's listed as Region A but Amazon UK shows All Regions but nearly twice the price..
post #1827 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I greatly dislike her, Troi, and all Crushers.

Even Leotard Crusher?

post #1828 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 04:25 PM

Liked: 50
Love them redheads
post #1829 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Love them redheads

I usually love redheads too but there was something about Beverly Crusher that made me want to push her out an airlock.
post #1830 of 2449 Old 07-24-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Picked mine up today - $59.25 at Best Buy using a $5 dvd trade-in coupon which basically covers California's tax.

Spent about half an hour this afternoon skimming through several of the discs and yeah, the clearly incorrect dialog mixes on several episodes distractingly stands out when bouncing around different episodes, especially on the couple episodes where it's focused on the Right Front channel. I'm actually satisfied with the lossy 2.0 audio although that may change once I watch a couple episodes all the way through tonight. And it goes without saying the video quality absolutely blows the crummy old dvd and laserdisc releases out of the water.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection First Contact Generations Insurrection Nemes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page