Star Trek TNG Seasons Remastered on Blu-Ray - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1891 of 2449 Old 07-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually there is demand for babylon 5 in sd, the dvd sales were decent, but not enough to drive a full reconstruction effort to rebuild all the cg for the series. no one really has the numbers here so far, but i think you are giving them too little credit, its clear that the studios are cherry picking which shows are worth the conversion to hd, the case has to be made on a case by case basis. you say the bluray covers it all, i have no idea if it does or not, but its clear when there isnt' enough market demand this stuff doesn't happen. syndication is nice i'm sure, but pay tv is a shrinking market under pressure, i doubt the deals are lucrative as they were, and are probably only going to shrink going into the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2449 Old 07-28-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Pissed Off!
Just came from COSTCO - every episode of the various Star Trek series - $29! And we paid what originally?
Passed on the Blu-ray version until such time the problems have been fixed!
Next question though, how many copies are being sold to the semi-illiterate viewers. versus audio/video junkies? (Like the TVs - when I see a ton of people rushing out of Walmart with their $498 RCA HD TVs, what percentage of TV junkies are buying all the different brands, who don't care about what us video junkies want to watch, as long as they have half decent Colour, a 60" set and not caring if it fails 2 years down the road! So TV Manufacturers are pushing volume to the masses who don't go running back to return the unit due to Black Crush, Flashlighting, etc.)
It's like us being turned off TV programming now, because the TV Programmers are catering to the masses, who are more than delighted to watch the cheap to make reality shows!
Just my 2 cents worth - not that it will change how the world is changing, and those of us who want quality, are being pushed aside for quantity!
post #1893 of 2449 Old 07-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Liked: 50
They could upscale like serenity, it would look good enough for the sales it would get.
post #1894 of 2449 Old 07-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

They could upscale like serenity, it would look good enough for the sales it would get.

I think you mean Far scape...?
post #1895 of 2449 Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Sorry, with no word from CBS/Paramount on whether or not they'll fix this, I'm going to have to pass on buying this. I really wanted to get this, especially at the price they have it for this week, but it looks like it'll have to wait until season two comes out (and they hopefully lower season one's price as a promotion) or until sometime next year. I'm certainly not buying it once the price reverts back to $80+ next week. This is really frustrating...

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
post #1896 of 2449 Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

You'd be wrong on that. I'm surprised they haven't rolled at least season one out now. I'm sure we will start seeing the HD episodes in syndication sooner than later, and definitely before they finish all of the Blu-rays.
CBS already airs 16:9 cropped HD versions of the original series in Japan and in the UK on their own CBS Action network. I have heard anecdotally that they are now airing the 16:9 cropped version in the US. As far as I know, only the SD versions of the 4:3 remastered version are still being aired domestically.

If this is the case, you can almost be certain that the cropped 16:9 HD version of TOS will soon replace all the old SD 4:3 broadcasts -- which was almost surely done to promote the BluRay sales without cannibalizing it.

That said, TNG will almost certainy be rolled out in HD for syndication, if not the cropped 16:9 format, again probably to avoid competition with the Blu ray. After all, the videophiles who buy BluRay are not going to want a cropped picture.

This is pretty common as TV stations who have already purchased a syndication package have been shipped in many cases hundreds of tapes, which represent considerable cost. Upgrading from SD to HD won't be free, it will involve a new license, a fee increase and considerable cost to the studio to create new broadcast masters for distribution.

As you point out, stations want HD to keep viewers from turning to another station with full screen 1080p clarity, so they will most likely upgrade when the initial license expires (assuming the show did well to begin with). Others will buy the more expensive license for a region once the original broadcaster's rights expire (the former changing their program lineup with less expensive shows, and/or giving their viewers fresh entertainment), hoping to siphon off some viewers in the process.
post #1897 of 2449 Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkedgex View Post

Sorry, with no word from CBS/Paramount on whether or not they'll fix this, I'm going to have to pass on buying this.

Understandable. Though from The Digital Bits: "CBS has investigated, they're in the process of correcting the problem and we expect to have an official statement from them very soon on how they're going to handle it with consumers."

Seems pretty likely that there'll be disc exchange program in the near future.

Personally, I'm glad that the season 1 set even exists, since for so long conventional wisdom ruled out this sort of effort. So far I've watched the first two episodes and they've been fantastic. So assuming there is an exchange option coming, I'll be putting some discs in the mail at some point. That's a slight hassle, but not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.
post #1898 of 2449 Old 07-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

I think you mean Far scape...?

I think "Firefly"
post #1899 of 2449 Old 07-29-2012, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post

I think "Firefly"

I believe Firefly on Blu-ray = HD, but is upscaled when there are effects and Farscape on Blu-ray = everything is upscaled.
post #1900 of 2449 Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkedgex View Post

Sorry, with no word from CBS/Paramount on whether or not they'll fix this, I'm going to have to pass on buying this. I really wanted to get this, especially at the price they have it for this week, but it looks like it'll have to wait until season two comes out (and they hopefully lower season one's price as a promotion) or until sometime next year. I'm certainly not buying it once the price reverts back to $80+ next week. This is really frustrating...

CBS have investigated and are working to correct the issue. They're not doing that for nothing. Also, a lot of money has been spent on restoring Star Trek TNG, and they're not going to let an issue like this affect future sales. You will have a replacement, one way or the other, for sure. Although I certainly don't blame you for waiting, either.
post #1901 of 2449 Old 07-29-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Here is a minor video glitch: Coming of Age (last episode of disc4), starting around 1:10, the top couple of lines are out of place, with a bright band in the middle of the top couple of lines.

And after having watched/listened to some of the episodes with the dialog coming from the FL/C/FR, they are not as annoying as Encounter at Farpoint with the dialog coming just from the C/FR, but it is definitely sub-optimal. If I move a foot or two out of the sweet spot of my speakers, it sounds badly out of phase with a mild echo.

Does anybody know Chuck Lorre's phone number? I can already see it: the guys of The Big Bang Theory are all excited as they start playing the BD version of TNG, and with Encounter at Farpoint, all the audio is shifted to the right. They're starting to tilt their heads to try to compensate, and Sheldon is getting particularly uncomfortable in his seat, followed by some kind of witty comment. I guess this will be old news by the time the new season starts, though.

I noticed this on both TOS and TNG, but haven't mentioned it before. Does anybody else think they should use some anti-aliasing on the text in the intro credits and end credits? The jaggies on the text are quite jagged.

Overall, I think the picture looks very nice, and there is a lot of grain. Most of the time the grain is acting like happy little grain dancing around. However, in some sections of some scenes, it looks like the grain is throbbing or strobing with the brightness getting noticeably brighter/dimmer very quickly. I'm playing back at 24p, and I have turned off as much post-processing as I can on my HTPC video card and on my TV.

Bazinga!

post #1902 of 2449 Old 07-29-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthocar View Post

I noticed this on both TOS and TNG, but haven't mentioned it before. Does anybody else think they should use some anti-aliasing on the text in the intro credits and end credits? The jaggies on the text are quite jagged.

I've noticed this on TNG, but I don't recall it on ST, and I've watched many of those episodes on BD numerous times. On TNG, when a credit appears, it's very jaggy, then a few frames later, it seems to "get better."

Doug
post #1903 of 2449 Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Watched Where No One Has Gone Before last night, there's some VERY smudgy, blotchy grain in that episode, like the bit where that crewmember's jamming away in his quarters with Mozart or whoever.
post #1904 of 2449 Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
post #1905 of 2449 Old 07-30-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

Looks like you can get your discs replaced:
http://www.trektoday.com/content/2012/07/star-trek-the-next-generation-blu-ray-audio-issues/

Thanks. They only mention the F-C-R problems, not the problems w/ other episodes. I'll waited until someone confirms that it's all been fixed. Otherwise, we'll have to exchange the fixed discs for the super-duper-fixed discs.
post #1906 of 2449 Old 07-30-2012, 02:18 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Thanks. They only mention the F-C-R problems, not the problems w/ other episodes. I'll waited until someone confirms that it's all been fixed. Otherwise, we'll have to exchange the fixed discs for the super-duper-fixed discs.

That's what's causing the problems, though. Or, do you mean, you're waiting to hear if they fixed the sync issue at the beginning of "Encounter at Farpoint" on the DD 2.0 track? AFAIK, that's the only episode with a sync problem.
post #1907 of 2449 Old 07-30-2012, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Apparently to get the replacement disks, you just need to confirm the code on the inner ring of any of the disks. There's no need to send in the original disks.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9223
post #1908 of 2449 Old 07-30-2012, 03:55 PM

Liked: 11
Well since they aren't replacing disc 6 I assume the audio out of sync on the extras isn't considered an issue....

post #1909 of 2449 Old 07-30-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Haven't you heard? That's a setup issue, say CBS. rolleyes.gif
post #1910 of 2449 Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 PM

For those who are curious which code they want. It's the character sequence in the inner ring of the disk that begins with SL. it's slightly different on each disk, but they just need one of them.

There's a bit of a hold time (mine was about 15 minutes), but all you need to do is give them the code and your mailing address. Disks will be shipped out between Aug 6 and 10th.
post #1911 of 2449 Old 07-30-2012, 05:12 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Haven't you heard? That's a setup issue, say CBS. rolleyes.gif
An interesting story for sure but I am bitstreaming from my PS3 to my Denon 2312 to process the audio. Not sure what I could possibly change in my setup to solve the issue.

post #1912 of 2449 Old 07-31-2012, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

It's been a few days and I have been testing out the different episodes and switching back and forth between the 7.1 and stereo tracks, trying to confirm issues with the set. So far, I have not found any episodes out of sync using either the 7.1 or stereo tracks. The only issue I've come across so far is the 7.1 channel mapping.

On the sampler disc I had some sync issues, but they went away after switching between the 7.1 and stereo tracks or restarting the chapter. Not sure why.

My setup:

LG BH200 bitstreaming to Yamaha RX-A3000 to Epson 8350. I always run with all audio and video "enhancements" OFF on all my components as well as all the web features of my LG player.
post #1913 of 2449 Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post

That's what's causing the problems, though. Or, do you mean, you're waiting to hear if they fixed the sync issue at the beginning of "Encounter at Farpoint" on the DD 2.0 track? AFAIK, that's the only episode with a sync problem.

I meant the other reports about echoey or boxy dialogue in Haven and 11001001. I haven't watched either one of them yet, but numerous people have confirmed the issue w/ the 7.1 track, and I believe it's apparent on the 2.0 track as well.

I did watch Lonely Among Us last night, and most of the dialogue for around the first 1/3 of the episode sounded very boxy on the 7.1 track. Then, the problem went away. Music and effects sounded fine throughout.
post #1914 of 2449 Old 07-31-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

I ended up emailing them. We'll see how long it takes to get back to me. I prefer having an electronic trail as opposed to someone's word on the phone. I'll post back when I hear something from them.

Calling worked better for me. I first tried the e-mail address, but I didn't get a reply (it's been 24 hours). So I just called and after a five minute wait it took another two minutes to order the discs.
post #1915 of 2449 Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I meant the other reports about echoey or boxy dialogue in Haven and 11001001. I haven't watched either one of them yet, but numerous people have confirmed the issue w/ the 7.1 track, and I believe it's apparent on the 2.0 track as well.
I did watch Lonely Among Us last night, and most of the dialogue for around the first 1/3 of the episode sounded very boxy on the 7.1 track. Then, the problem went away. Music and effects sounded fine throughout.

Didn't notice any problems with "Lonely Among Us" in 7.1... but that echo in "Haven" and "11001001" is definitely being caused by the dialogue being present in the left and right channels... but you only actually hear the echo when you connect your player directly to a TV and listen to the 7.1 track through the TV's speakers.
post #1916 of 2449 Old 07-31-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post

Didn't notice any problems with "Lonely Among Us" in 7.1... but that echo in "Haven" and "11001001" is definitely being caused by the dialogue being present in the left and right channels... but you only actually hear the echo when you connect your player directly to a TV and listen to the 7.1 track through the TV's speakers.

Thanks. Now I have more confidence that all the reported issues will be resolved. As for Lonely, maybe it's the way the dialogue was originally recorded? It definitely sounds bad to me, and different to the other episodes I've watched so far.
post #1917 of 2449 Old 07-31-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tack View Post

Calling worked better for me. I first tried the e-mail address, but I didn't get a reply (it's been 24 hours). So I just called and after a five minute wait it took another two minutes to order the discs.

I'd also recommend calling. They don't seem to be responding to emails at all. I emailed about 30 hours ago and never got a response. Ironically when I asked for a confirmation number, I was told there aren't any and if I don't get the disks within 10 business days after Aug 10 I should email them.
post #1918 of 2449 Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I called today after not having received a response to the e-mail I sent yesterday, and they took my information over the phone. Soon after, I received a response to my e-mail asking for my info, so they are getting around to the e-mails apparently. I responded with my info again, just to be sure. Doesn't hurt smile.gif

I've only watched the first disc because I'm still wrapping up the third season of TOS (talk about a mixed bag), but aside from the audio issues, CBS did an amazing job and should be commended for their work.
post #1919 of 2449 Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Yesterday I received a response to my email from 2 days ago asking for all of my information for disc replacement.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #1920 of 2449 Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

I sent my e-mail yesterday and got a response this morning, about 18 hours. Painless.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection First Contact Generations Insurrection Nemes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page