Star Trek TNG Seasons Remastered on Blu-Ray - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2440 Old 07-04-2011, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So, is the graphic for Star Trek TNG on Netflix new art or from some other release? I notice that Voyager uses the old DVD art, but the TNG art is obviously new(ish) and very similar to the art used for the Blu Ray releases of the films and TOS.

Given the nature of most Trek fans, I find it hard to believe that Paramount would take a half-assed approach that would likely result in significant backlash. I also agree with someone else who said that the cost concern here has to do with re-editing. Re-composing the special effects is likely an afterthought, unless they want to use the film elements there too. We know they used them for Generations.

Having said that, re-editing the entire series would probably be a safer venture than trying to bring new Trek to TV, so in that sense it's probably a safer bet. God knows the series is immensely profitable in syndication worldwide almost 20 years after it went off the air. It would make much more sense for Paramount to future proof that investment by ensuring it will remain presentable well into the future than take a chance on something new. And I have to assume that re-editing TNG would be a much cheaper enterprise than producing a new series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2440 Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Given the nature of most Trek fans, I find it hard to believe that Paramount would take a half-assed approach that would likely result in significant backlash.

Yeah, they've never done it before...

I don't feel special...
post #183 of 2440 Old 07-06-2011, 01:30 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

So, is the graphic for Star Trek TNG on Netflix new art or from some other release? I notice that Voyager uses the old DVD art, but the TNG art is obviously new(ish) and very similar to the art used for the Blu Ray releases of the films and TOS.

It's the artwork from the Best Of collections released on DVD.
post #184 of 2440 Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Re-composing the special effects is likely an afterthought, unless they want to use the film elements there too. We know they used them for Generations.
They only reused the VistaVision elements shot by ILM for the pilot "Encounter at Farpoint". Even then, it was ILM doing the recompositing and they had to smooth out some of the material: a tiny wobble imperceptible on TV becomes quite noticeable on a 100+ foot screen.

Nearly all the other film elements for the series were done in 35MM at Image G, quite a bit at 30fps (instead of the usual 24fps). Those would need to be redone.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #185 of 2440 Old 07-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

So I'm guessing no news out of comic con about TNG remastered?
post #186 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just as well, being Paramount, they'll botch the release, and have a $149 MSRP on each season.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #187 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If they do indeed go the cheap route with upscaling, I don't know who they think will buy them
post #188 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Liked: 14
From the DigitalBits:

Quote:

Multiple sources I spoke with at Comic-Con have also confirmed our report from earlier this year that CBS is hard at work on Star Trek: The Next Generation - Remastered for Blu-ray release starting sometime in 2012. The latest word is that 4 test episodes are currently being worked on for release as a sampler/demo BD disc of the project, and that sampler disc will somehow be available to fans by the end of this year. Watch for additional news in the months ahead.

post #189 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 01:22 PM

Sorry if this has been touched on earlier in the thread, but whats the reason for the pink tinge the first (and possibly second) series of TNG has? The uniforms look pink and a lot of the background lighting has a pink hue to it also.

Any thoughts?
post #190 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenUK View Post

Sorry if this has been touched on earlier in the thread, but whats the reason for the pink tinge the first (and possibly second) series of TNG has? The uniforms look pink and a lot of the background lighting has a pink hue to it also.

Any thoughts?

Well, there are several things at play.

In the first two seasons the Director of Photography was Edward R. Brown (Marvin V. Rush and Jonathan West did seasons three through five and six and seven respectively); the first three seasons were finished on 1-inch analog tape (the rest were digital D1); and the costume designer changed: Season one was William Ware Theiss; season two was Durinda Rice Wood; seasons three through seven was Robert Blackman. Herman Zimmerman was the production designer on season one only. Richard James handled the rest of the series.

Also, the show was produced in America obviously, and therefore used the NTSC video standard. Since you are in the UK, you're most likely viewing the show in the PAL video standard. PAL and NTSC have slightly divergent color spaces.
post #191 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
While I still don't have much faith in this turning out well unless they completely go TOS on it, in the back of my head I can't help wondering what a hi-def version of The Best of Both Worlds would look like. (Let alone Deanna in the blue dress.)

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #192 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 98
IF they do what they did for TOS... I would welcome this... and I'm sure fandom at large would welcome it... though I wonder about the current state of the economy and whether they would sell enough to make back the investment.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
post #193 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Didn't they do a similar thing with TOS? Not the sampler thing as such (which sounds like a good idea to me), but they started off with a few random S1 episodes instead of working through the season in sequence, right?
post #194 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Didn't they do a similar thing with TOS? Not the sampler thing as such (which sounds like a good idea to me), but they started off with a few random S1 episodes instead of working through the season in sequence, right?

Yeah they did them out of sequence.
But if they are just using the 480i master, I dont know why they would bother
post #195 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Yup. They also initially did the new VFX in 16:9 widescreen so you'd have multiple aspect ratios for those episodes.
post #196 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Hmmm. While 16:9 was clearly not a consideration when TOS was made, I do wonder if 16:9 protection was factored in at any point for TNG.
post #197 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 PM

If Paramount is putting out a sampler disc for fans this year, that must mean that they are doing it the "right" way (rescanning and reediting episodes down from the original film elements). There's no way they'd just put out a disc of four upscaled episodes ahead of time--they'd be ripped to shreds by fans.

Assuming this is true, my personal hope is that fans will be forgiving of the changes (intentional and otherwise) that are absolutely going to happen during this process, from lost alternate takes, to changes in cut points, to color timing changes. If you are the type who will scream and rant because one shot in an episode used a slightly different take in the remastered editions compared to the aired versions, please do us all a favor and don't bother to buy them, 'mkay? Thanks.

Movies look their best when they look like movies. More Patton-esque remasters!

post #198 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I tell ya, if they do remaster TNG like they did TOS I'd turn 15 again with giddiness like I did when TNG was new. I've been a very casual Star Trek fan in the years since Voyager went off the air and it's almost refreshing and exciting to think about really getting into it again. I for one would not mind at all any needed VFX changes. In fact I'd welcome it and I think quite a few fans would too and I really think it'd revive a lot of pent up demand for another TNG era movie (not like it's ever going to happen, Star Trek was too successful and mainstream to ever revisit nerdy TNG again). Not trying to derail the thread though so I'll stop lol.
post #199 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think the sampler makes sense. Go for the best eps.
If they just started with S1 it would probably go nowhere as it's the worst season BD barely resembles the show when it hit it's stride
post #200 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

IF they do what they did for TOS... I would welcome this... and I'm sure fandom at large would welcome it... though I wonder about the current state of the economy and whether they would sell enough to make back the investment.

With rabbid Trekkie fans, they have a built in populatiuon garenteed to buy them, then they suck revenue gradually from casual fans as prices drop. With the lack of a current Trek series, the fans are pretty starved for new Trek stuff to buy.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #201 of 2440 Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

With rabbid Trekkie fans, they have a built in populatiuon garenteed to buy them, then they suck revenue gradually from casual fans as prices drop. With the lack of a current Trek series, the fans are pretty starved for new Trek stuff to buy.

Only if they have money... and jobs. Trekkies notoriously are employed in the same kind of jobs that have been moving overseas or just flat out reduced these days... I know, as I resemble that remark.

Also... these seasons won't be cheap.

IF they were coming out now, though, I couldn't afford them no matter how good they look... so while I hope they do this... I'm not in a hurry until things turn around and I actually could afford to buy them.

I expect I'm not alone... unfortunately.

post #202 of 2440 Old 07-27-2011, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie E View Post

If Paramount is putting out a sampler disc for fans this year, that must mean that they are doing it the "right" way (rescanning and reediting episodes down from the original film elements).

I would very much like to share your optimism. At this point, we've got no other information so I'll stick with that.
post #203 of 2440 Old 07-28-2011, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

A sample disc sounds like a great idea. Really keen to see what they're doing with this, even just for a few eps to start with. If they are going to re-do special effects and the like, I think a good episode to choose for the sampler disc would be Q Who? If they are going all-out with changes to the series then maybe they could update the Borg cube in that episode and following episodes to make it look more in line with the later Trek - ie. First Contact and Voyager (but less of a green tinge than voyager )

Whoops... maybe this is the wrong thread for that sort of talk

I dunno maybe some of you might disagree with them doing that, but I always felt that the Borg cube(s) in TNG, especially the earlier eps, never really looked in line with later Trek's.

Will be really interesting to see what they do anyhow - 16:9 episodes maybe? re-framed? (but ONLY with extra info, not cropping) Hopefully they have something neat up their sleeves anyway.

Another interesting episode they might pick is Where No One Has Gone Before... it's an early episode with a lot of warping-through-space-really-fast stuff, a lot of potential for updated effects there I guess. But it's been a while since I've seen any TNG this is just from memory And looking up wikipedia
post #204 of 2440 Old 07-28-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post
the first three seasons were finished on 1-inch analog tape (the rest were digital D1)
Yes, the (for) broadcast masters, but the compositing was entirely in the digital domain.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #205 of 2440 Old 07-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie E View Post

If Paramount is putting out a sampler disc for fans this year, that must mean that they are doing it the "right" way (rescanning and reediting episodes down from the original film elements). There's no way they'd just put out a disc of four upscaled episodes ahead of time--they'd be ripped to shreds by fans.

Another likely reason (and probably far more profitable in the end) is that they want to remaster them for syndication in high definition to cable networks and local stations. Obviously a simple upscale won't cut it.

Seinfeld was redone in HD a few years back and is constantly played in the afternoon on a local ABC affiliate in HD. My understanding is that something similar was done for Knight Rider (though I haven't seen that on local stations, last I heard it was strictly a cable-only thing from Universal).

I expect the relative cost in remastering these shows (a one-time cost) is likely irrelevant in the big picture where these shows are licensed yearly to stations looking for HD content.

Fight mediocrity: Insist on BD50 discs for all movies longer than 100 minutes, optimized video encodes that fully utilize the available space, lossless audio track, and new masters for catalog titles!
post #206 of 2440 Old 07-29-2011, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

With the original Star Trek, they didn't do them in order... rather they went for the most popular episodes first... so that they could start selling those remastered episodes into syndication while they were finishing the job.

They would be smart to do the same thing with TNG... because going in order, the show really didn't hit its stride until the third season... and knowing there are 7 seasons... I would expect sales of the first couple of seasons to be slow (especially in this economy) while people wait for their favorite episodes to come out.

So... if they could do the pilot episode and then skip around to other seasons and release a bunch into syndication that might help them fund the restoration as they go along... and then wait to release season sets until they can release them close together so fans have confidence they will release all 7 seasons in short order.

post #207 of 2440 Old 07-29-2011, 11:19 PM

Liked: 11
I just hope they don't do something incredibly dumb and pull a Seinfeld or The World At War.

Crop the syndicated HD versions if you have to, but release it uncropped on Blu-ray, Paramount!
post #208 of 2440 Old 07-30-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Actually the first 3 seasons were finalized on D-1 digital *composite* tape, and they switched to D-2 component digital for the rest of the show.

What's your source for this? It's my understanding that D1 is a component video format and D2 is a composite format. But I've found no info that TNG used D2. The article I found which mentions 1-inch analog and D1 was published in the Official Star Trek Fan Club magazine.

Quote:

Home for ST:TNG in the fourth season became The Post Group's new Digital Center in Edit Bay B. ST:TNG moved so it could work entirely in the digital format (D1) and abandon the fickle one-inch analog tape format. The reason ST:TNG was analog for three seasons is simple, the technology just did not exit. To bring this point home further, even now some of the equipment in the bay is still considered R & D (Research and Development) and came with no manuals.

The total list of the equipment in the bay is astounding; Abekas A84 (there are only three in the U.S. and the first and third one built are at The Post Group), Abekas a64, two Abekas A60's, two Sony D1 Digital Recorders, CMX 3600 Edit System, DFX Paint FX, ADO 2000 With Digital Interface, ESS-5 Still Store, Quantel Mirage (digital version) and Touchscreen Digital Routing System (The Post Groups' own system). This, of course, does not include the software that is necessary to make all this work. And, it takes all of that hardware and software to bring together all the various elements for ONE effects shot.

reocities.com/Hollywood/Set/1116/sfxartcl.html

post #209 of 2440 Old 07-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

So what episodes are people hoping are remastered first? There are a lot of great episodes but some that obviously have more potential to showcase new effects.

Would have been cool if Paramount had held a poll on here or elsewhere where fans could pick the first remastered eps for the sampler disc. Similar to the Stargate Atlantis fan's choice blu-ray.
post #210 of 2440 Old 08-01-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it goes without saying that Best of Both Worlds will be on there. It's what the film First Contact should have been! I'm sure there will be a Q episode... I'm voting for True-Q with Olivia d'Abo in HD!
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection First Contact Generations Insurrection Nemes

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page