3Likes

post #2311 of 2449 Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 View Post

Pretty cool! I am wondering if those special features are exclusive to the BOBW BD or will they be included with seaon 3 BD alsok?

They're exclusive to the BOBW disc. Here are the main articles over at tvshowsondvd regarding the BOBW disc and the Season 3 set -- they give more detail about what's included in each:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-The-Best-Of-Both-Worlds/18036

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-Season-3-and-Best-of-Both-Worlds/18030
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2449 Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 PM

Liked: 14
BOBW Trailer - HD version:

post #2313 of 2449 Old 02-08-2013, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I always get a chuckle out of the 6-pack armor plating the Borg implant on Picard. Also, when Worf says "He is a Borg!" it sounds like he's about to cry (if it were possible for Klingons to cry).

Did they dub in different Borg audio for this trailer or have they always sounded like that? They don't sound nearly as scary as I remember. It must be the result of First Contact and Borg episodes from DS9/VOY that make them sound more ominous.
post #2314 of 2449 Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 AM

Liked: 11
Did the borg cube explosion at the end always look like the start of explosion was freeze-framed while enterprise zoomed past?
post #2315 of 2449 Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Not that I've ever seen, or at least not to that extent. That was just idiotic on somebody's part.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #2316 of 2449 Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG View Post

Did the borg cube explosion at the end always look like the start of explosion was freeze-framed while enterprise zoomed past?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

Not that I've ever seen, or at least not to that extent. That was just idiotic on somebody's part.

I can confirm via Netflix that the explosion does not freeze at all.
post #2317 of 2449 Old 02-08-2013, 01:26 PM

Somebody helpfully posted a video comparison of the original vs the redone version in the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpvQ46v13Lw

Obviously the trailer version is cut short, but I really hope the redone version isn't as naff as that trailer makes out...
post #2318 of 2449 Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post

They're exclusive to the BOBW disc. Here are the main articles over at tvshowsondvd regarding the BOBW disc and the Season 3 set -- they give more detail about what's included in each:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-The-Best-Of-Both-Worlds/18036

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-Season-3-and-Best-of-Both-Worlds/18030

If they included Yesterday's Enterprise on the BoBW disc, there might be a lot fewer S3 sets sold!
post #2319 of 2449 Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 AM

Liked: 10
I really don't like how we are essentially forced to buy the extra disc to get the bonus features... just bizarre. I prefer the episodes in their normal two part form anyway.

Not happy at the cash grab.
post #2320 of 2449 Old 02-11-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

If they included Yesterday's Enterprise on the BoBW disc, there might be a lot fewer S3 sets sold!

Except S3 isn't like S1 or S2, there were a *lot* of good episodes throughout.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #2321 of 2449 Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Except S3 isn't like S1 or S2, there were a *lot* of good episodes throughout.

Agreed: I'm watching it now (Netflix streaming). I had forgotten how good some of the episodes were!

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #2322 of 2449 Old 02-23-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

Such a lazy shoddy hack job, HTV-Illuminate should be compelled to reimburse CBS-D and pay for redoing the season and rerelease.
Anyone who attempts to justify this rubbish work are being foolish, if you paid someone to remodel your home and only did an adequate job or '80-98%' correct none would allow it. HTV-I was contracted to do quality of work in parity with CBS-D, not some passable halfhearted workmanship.

One of the first commentators at TrekCore posted these fair comparisons in the disparity in world texture quality, along with several other issues. Looks low resolution perhaps to speed up rendering times to rush it along to do 'work' for more suckers.

Season 1: Enterprise orbiting a green planet.
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x21/thearsenaloffreedom_hd_123.jpg

Season 2: Enterprise orbiting a similar looking planet.
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images_s2review/review23.jpg

I'm sure the rationalize brigade will write off all the DNR, which is evidently used prevalently with VFX shots, cannot be seen in motion but how will they justify the Enterprise saucer cut in half, amidst how many other cut corners and dismal 'craftsmanship'. There appears to be even more compression artifacts visible this time around as well.

This should not be given a pass, all the exhaustive efforts already expended requires and demands better results.
Never mind the fact that this will be how TNG Season 2 will be presented for future generations. Being simply better than the SD masters or DVDs is an absurdly low bar to surmount.

CBS-D alone has proven when done correctly things can look stellar, now if they would let the episodes breath by being on more discs and include lossless 2.0 mixes the releases would be even better.

Best Regards
KvE

+1, +1, +1 on Season 2 ... methodically and deliberately poor. You are so right .... That same season 2 shot of the Enterprise is done as poorly on other Season 2 episodes as well ... very unprofessional. I personally will not buy another season until Season 2 is remastered to at least the quality of Season 1. Too bad.

I blame Paramount because they wrote up the requirements for Season 2 and failed to include some plenalty clauses in the contract for poor performance. This is Star Trek, not some Gomer Pyle episode.
post #2323 of 2449 Old 04-25-2013, 05:25 PM

Liked: 832
Season 3 reviews are popping up.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5232/startrek_tng_s3.html

Looks like CBS digital has brought back their AAA effort. Good on them.

Season 4 trailer is out, and the new studio doing the even season work is Modern Videofilm. Parity with CBS is much, much better, but looks like they might have not color corrected the trailer yet. It wasn't included in season 3 due to time issues, and was probably thrown together very fast. Still, happy the rest of the restoration will get it's due. Maybe well get lucky and they'll revisit season2 in at the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Ft Print View Post

I blame Paramount because they wrote up the requirements for Season 2 and failed to include some plenalty clauses in the contract for poor performance. This is Star Trek, not some Gomer Pyle episode.

Paramount has nothing to do with TV Trek. CBS controls any and all TV Trek, which is why they've seen much more care then the movies.
post #2324 of 2449 Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

So how long before the 4K versions are available? tongue.gif

S3 marks the beginning of five years of awesomeness. biggrin.gif
post #2325 of 2449 Old 04-26-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

So how long before the 4K versions are available? tongue.gif

S3 marks the beginning of five years of awesomeness. biggrin.gif

CBS, in their infinite wisdom, probably didn't scan the 35mm elements at 4k , render the effects at 4k, or create a 4k master. So, they'll have to do it all over again in a few years. rolleyes.gif

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #2326 of 2449 Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm probably more excited about 4K than most people on here, but I don't think I'll be very disappointed if TNG never comes out on 4K. We're already getting way better quality than what was originally aired. If it was coming out on 4K at the same time as BD then I'd probably get the 4K version, but as it is now with just 1080p BD I probably won't double dip (except for maybe season 2 and if any other season gets poor transfers).

Modern films with 4K DIs and new scans of 65/70mm film will be the 4K content that I'll be looking forward to the most, not 80's TV shows.
post #2327 of 2449 Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

CBS, in their infinite wisdom, probably didn't scan the 35mm elements at 4k , render the effects at 4k, or create a 4k master. So, they'll have to do it all over again in a few years. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 View Post

I'm probably more excited about 4K than most people on here, but I don't think I'll be very disappointed if TNG never comes out on 4K. We're already getting way better quality than what was originally aired. If it was coming out on 4K at the same time as BD then I'd probably get the 4K version, but as it is now with just 1080p BD I probably won't double dip (except for maybe season 2 and if any other season gets poor transfers). Modern films with 4K DIs and new scans of 65/70mm film will be the 4K content that I'll be looking forward to the most, not 80's TV shows.

According to all CBS's official announcements, they scanned the OCNs at 4K. Whether that was downsampled to 2K for editing or not, I have not heard or read anything to that level of detail. Either way, a better version in the future is possible, if not likely. I agree that the Blu-ray will suffice for a long while, but I said that about the DVDs as well...
post #2328 of 2449 Old 04-26-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Good to see Season 3 is fairing better!
post #2329 of 2449 Old 04-26-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Ft Print View Post

+1, +1, +1 on Season 2 ... methodically and deliberately poor. You are so right .... That same season 2 shot of the Enterprise is done as poorly on other Season 2 episodes as well ... very unprofessional. I personally will not buy another season until Season 2 is remastered to at least the quality of Season 1. Too bad.

Is this issue getting any more press or reviews (other than in this thread) ?

Good to hear that Season-3 (and hopefully the others) won't suffer a similar fate. Why re-master if you are going to do it poorly?

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #2330 of 2449 Old 04-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

Is this issue getting any more press or reviews (other than in this thread) ?

Good to hear that Season-3 (and hopefully the others) won't suffer a similar fate. Why re-master if you are going to do it poorly?

Pretty much was panned around the net.

The outrage caused CBS to drop HTV-Illuminate. CBS-Digital will be overseeing and handling the final "conform" and color correction of the even seasons going forward. The better studio they retained for the FX and the effort by CBS-Digital is already showing:
post #2331 of 2449 Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Pretty much was panned around the net.

The outrage caused CBS to drop HTV-Illuminate. CBS-Digital will be overseeing and handling the final "conform" and color correction of the even seasons going forward. The better studio they retained for the FX and the effort by CBS-Digital is already showing:

It's probably been posted in this thread somewhere already, but if anyone else is looking for it, this is what I found:

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/controversy-star-trek-tng-season-2-bluray-effects-work.html

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/25691/trek-tng-s2-blu-ray-hits-minor-controversy

So, CBS is still doing the odd numbered ones. And, and as you report, will also have a hand in final stages of even ones. But you know ... somebody should just tell CBS that we are in no big hurry. It would be fine if CBS does all the seasons themselves ... even it takes until 2016. This is never going to be done again, so lets get it right the first time.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #2332 of 2449 Old 04-27-2013, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

But you know ... somebody should just tell CBS that we are in no big hurry. It would be fine if CBS does all the seasons themselves ... even it takes until 2016. This is never going to be done again, so lets get it right the first time.

Star Trek is hot right now. New movie in theaters next month, Blu-ray of new movie in the fall. Ride the wave! I surmised last year that they would get all 7 seasons out within a year. At this pace, they'll definitely hit that target. With quality this high and prices this low (on sale), I can't really complain. (But I will: too many episodes per disc, no lossless original stereo mix.)

wink.gif
post #2333 of 2449 Old 04-27-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Anyone know what the Best Buy price on Tuesday will be for both S3 box and BoBW collection? Hopefully it'll be lower than Amazon plus I can use a pair of $5 dvd trade-in credits as well.
post #2334 of 2449 Old 04-28-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Anyone know what the Best Buy price on Tuesday will be for both S3 box and BoBW collection? Hopefully it'll be lower than Amazon plus I can use a pair of $5 dvd trade-in credits as well.

Nevermind, I found the flyer for next week: STNG/BOBW $16.99 and STNG/Season 3 $69.99. So especially with a $5 discount per title for 2 dvd trade-ins, Best Buy beats Amazon at $11.99 and $64.99 vs $15.99 and 77.99 respectively.
post #2335 of 2449 Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by poddie View Post

I really don't like how we are essentially forced to buy the extra disc to get the bonus features... just bizarre. I prefer the episodes in their normal two part form anyway.

Not happy at the cash grab.

I went to the theatrical showing of Best of Both Worlds this past week and it was great fun, save for the terrible decision to connect the two episodes together without any hint of the cliffhanger. It cuts straight from Riker's "Fire" to the Enterprise firing. If the BD of BOBW has that, it's a mistake on their part....

Robert Clark
post #2336 of 2449 Old 04-29-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

I went to the theatrical showing of Best of Both Worlds this past week and it was great fun, save for the terrible decision to connect the two episodes together without any hint of the cliffhanger. It cuts straight from Riker's "Fire" to the Enterprise firing. If the BD of BOBW has that, it's a mistake on their part....
It's been edited this way ever since the VHS release of old - nothing new there. I guess if you've never seen it that way it comes as a bit of a surprise, but I never cared much whether the cliffhanger bit was there or not. It seems like a perfectly natural way to splice them together to me.
post #2337 of 2449 Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Looks like all the other ST Blu-Ray offerings are on sale right now if you shop around between Amazon and Best Buy.
post #2338 of 2449 Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 AM

Liked: 13
Actually, the best deal on this is at Target. $59.99 for S3, $14.99 for BoBW, and a $10 discount for buying both. That comes out to $65 total. If you get the Target card (no charge or fees for having it), you'll save 5%, which nearly takes care of the tax as well. Also, Best Buy won't price match bundle deals, nor will they allow upgrade and save $5 coupons to be used on price matched items. The only thing you'll lose going the Target route is the Best Buy-exclusive stuff, which just isn't all that important to me. $65 + 1% tax just can't be beat this time around.
post #2339 of 2449 Old 04-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Nevermind, I found the flyer for next week: STNG/BOBW $16.99 and STNG/Season 3 $69.99. So especially with a $5 discount per title for 2 dvd trade-ins, Best Buy beats Amazon at $11.99 and $64.99 vs $15.99 and 77.99 respectively.

season 3 on amazon for $60 right now.

- Chris
post #2340 of 2449 Old 04-30-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
Season 4 is not out yet ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection First Contact Generations Insurrection Nemes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page