post #1 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50

December 6th UK

Triple play edition in both the briefcase and standard editions

Quote:

Maximum Movie Mode: Christopher Nolan and Leonardo DiCaprio extract information about the world of Inception and learn about all things you may have missed in the film. Questions, answers, surprises and intrigue are all there for the taking!

Prologue (Motion Comics): Inception: The Cobol Job: Online comic that details how Cobb, Arthur and Nash came to be enlisted by Cobol Engineering to perform an extraction on Saito.

Inception: The Big Under: The story that reveals how Cobb and company get to Saito to put him under for the dream featured in the beginning of the film. Dream of Consciousness: Taking some of the most fascination and cutting-edge dream research to date on lucid dreaming, leading scientist to make the case that the dream world is not an altered state of consciousness, but a fully functional parallel reality.

15 Focus Pods

Photo gallery

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5088

American details

Quote:

Extraction Mode: infiltrate the dreamscape of Inception – with this in-movie experience – to learn how Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio and the rest of the cast and crew designed and achieved the movies signature moments.
Dreams: Cinema of the Subconscious: taking some of the most fascinating and cutting-edge dream research to-date on lucid dreaming, top scientists make the case that the dream world is not an altered state of consciousness, but a fully functional parallel reality.
Inception: The Cobol Job: now in full animation and motion, check out this comic prologue to see how Cobb, Arthur, and Nash came to be enlisted by Cobol Engineering and perform an extraction on Saito.
5.1 Soundtrack selections from Hans Zimmer's score
Conceptual art gallery
Promotional art archive
Trailers
TV spots
BD-Live
Project Somnacin: Confidential Files: get access to the highly secure files that reveal the inception of the dream-share technology.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Best film of the year for me by far, closely followed by Scott Pilgrim
post #3 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Awesome! My favorite new movie this year.

As much as I liked it, I wouldn't mind a rifftrack for it. Hell, how bout ANY rifftrack in general? All they release is a bunch of shorts anymore. Agh!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #4 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
IMAX shots???

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #5 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 91
the movie wasn't shot with IMAX cameras so it won't matter...I wish Nolan had shot a few scenes with the IMAX cameras like he was originally planning to do so we could get the shifting aspect ratio on the Blu-ray like in 'The Dark Knight'
post #6 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

the movie wasn't shot with IMAX cameras so it won't matter...I wish Nolan had shot a few scenes with the IMAX cameras like he was originally planning to do so we could get the shifting aspect ratio on the Blu-ray like in 'The Dark Knight'

Bummer, I thought he had. I haven't seen the movie, yet.

post #7 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Some parts were shot on regular 65mm, but that format has a 2.2 : 1 aspect ratio, only a bit taller than anamorphic.
post #8 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I don't mind that as an option... but I really wish there was a version without the shifting aspect ratios and I'm glad that's not being foisted off on us again.
post #9 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

Bummer, I thought he had. I haven't seen the movie, yet.

Inception played on IMAX screens but it wasn't shot with IMAX...so all they did was stretch the image...not real IMAX in my opinion...only 2 movies so far have been filmed with IMAX cameras, The Dark Knight and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen...rumors are circulating that Chris Nolan wants to shoot the next Batman flick entirely with IMAX cameras
post #10 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Interesting factoid, Ellen Page is actually standing right along side Dicaprio...

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #11 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Inception played on IMAX screens but it wasn't shot with IMAX...so all they did was stretch the image...not real IMAX in my opinion...only 2 movies so far have been filmed with IMAX cameras, The Dark Knight and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen...rumors are circulating that Chris Nolan wants to shoot the next Batman flick entirely with IMAX cameras

I understand all of that. All I was saying is that I thought I had read that he had shot some scenes with an IMAX camera, like Dark Knight.

post #12 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

Interesting factoid, Ellen Page is actually standing right along side Dicaprio...

Time for me to bow out of this thread before I start reading spoilers

post #13 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

I don't mind that as an option... but I really wish there was a version without the shifting aspect ratios and I'm glad that's not being foisted off on us again.

I actually loved the IMAX scenes on the Blu-ray...the shifting aspect ratio didn't bother me because they looked amazing...plus for the most part they were long continuous scenes unlike in Revenge of the Fallen where the aspect ratio would switch every few seconds
post #14 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I actually loved the IMAX scenes on the Blu-ray...the shifting aspect ratio didn't bother me because they looked amazing...plus for the most part they were long continuous scenes unlike in Revenge of the Fallen where the aspect ratio would switch every few seconds

Again, there's nothing wrong with that version existing. I actually do think it's kinda cool. But I'd like the straight theatrical presentation (without the IMAX DMR process ****ing up the 35mm footage) as an option as well.
post #15 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I understand all of that. All I was saying is that I thought I had read that he had shot some scenes with an IMAX camera, like Dark Knight.

He did shoot 70mm but it was framed for the scope ratio, so some reports came out that is was shot IMAX as most don't know the difference
post #16 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

He did shoot 70mm but it was framed for the scope ratio, so some reports came out that is was shot IMAX as most don't know the difference

That makes sense, thanks.

post #17 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Time for me to bow out of this thread before I start reading spoilers

I think that was a height gag
post #18 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

He shot some portions of it (not sure which) in 65mm.

IMAX uses 65mm run sideways in a 4:3 format, so it's the same film basically, but IMAX is using a much much larger film area per-frame in a very different AR for the IMAX format.

Standard 65mm is still very rarely used historically, only a handful of films are shot in 65mm, and the advantages over 35mm are still very very impressive.

There are exceedingly few 65mm-capable theaters out there, unfortunately.

I am not entirely clear what occurred in the IMAX process because IMAX usually takes 35mm film and digitally cleans it to reduce grain, and also adds a touch of edge enhancement, before printing it out to IMAX 65/15perf stock for display in an IMAX film theater. I don't know if they ran the 65mm film through the same step as the 35mm, but my hunch is that they may have because I didn't see much of a switch between 35mm and 65mm portions. And Inception was very heavily de-noised, and look quite mediocre in my opinion, during the IMAX presentation I saw. It was definitely a festival of DNR waxy-faces. Very unfortuante, and disappointing. It probably would have looked better in a standard 35mm print that hadn't gone through IMAX's DMR step.
post #19 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:

That and the fact that Revenge of the Fallen was the most hideously terrible movie in the history of film-making...
post #20 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

He shot some portions of it (not sure which) in 65mm.

IMAX uses 65mm run sideways in a 4:3 format, so it's the same film basically, but IMAX is using a much much larger film area per-frame in a very different AR for the IMAX format.

Standard 65mm is still very rarely used historically, only a handful of films are shot in 65mm, and the advantages over 35mm are still very very impressive.

There are exceedingly few 65mm-capable theaters out there, unfortunately.

I am not entirely clear what occurred in the IMAX process because IMAX usually takes 35mm film and digitally cleans it to reduce grain, and also adds a touch of edge enhancement, before printing it out to IMAX 65/15perf stock for display in an IMAX film theater. I don't know if they ran the 65mm film through the same step as the 35mm, but my hunch is that they may have because I didn't see much of a switch between 35mm and 65mm portions. And Inception was very heavily de-noised, and look quite mediocre in my opinion, during the IMAX presentation I saw. It was definitely a festival of DNR waxy-faces. Very unfortuante, and disappointing. It probably would have looked better in a standard 35mm print that hadn't gone through IMAX's DMR step.

The 35mm prints were done photochemically, but the digital master for IMAX (and presumably digital cinema) was created from a 4K scan of the 35mm interpositive, as per the ASC article about it. So you wouldn't really be seeing the full potential of the 65mm photography.
post #21 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

The 35mm prints were done photochemically, but the digital master for IMAX (and presumably digital cinema) was created from a 4K scan of the 35mm interpositive, as per the ASC article about it. So you wouldn't really be seeing the full potential of the 65mm photography.

I actually hadn't seen that article, thanks for pointing that out. I'd done a couple searches before right after I saw it, but didn't find the ASC writeup. It's a very brief statement at the end, but it does sound pretty unequivocal that they drew the IMAX from 35mm which is unfortunate. Makes sense why I couldn't for the life of me pick out 65mm portions while watching the film. Given what I saw in Imax, I think I would have preferred the undamaged 35mm print in a regular screening to the pasty mess in IMAX. OH well.
post #22 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Liked: 10
Good movie , but borrowed from "The Matrix"

Not very original.
post #23 of 487 Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 View Post

Not very original.

Borrowed from a whole lot more than just The Matrix...
post #24 of 487 Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I found Inception to be a whole lot more involving than any of The Matrix films as well as Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I really enjoyed Nolan's Memento as well as The Prestige.

Unless Warner filters it or does something crazy to the video, I'll be buying it week of release so my family can watch it.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #25 of 487 Old 09-04-2010, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuk109 View Post

Not very original.

I sat there in 1999 and watched the Matrix, and I thought it was the LEAST original film I had ever seen, that was cod intelligent.
Inception was actually intelligent imho
post #26 of 487 Old 09-04-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
The Matrix borrows from Metropolis, Virtuosity, Dark City, a western or two, and Johnny Nmemonic (which ironically starred Keanu Reeves). But it was all masterfully blended. I do think Inception is better, but not by much.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #27 of 487 Old 09-04-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

This movie was even more disappointing than Dork Knight. They better do a Rifftrax cause that's the only way I'll ever watch this turd again.

And clearly your opinion of both films is held my tens of millions around the world.

Best film of the year (well, after Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which I saw just after the new year).

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #28 of 487 Old 09-04-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

I'm glad to not be a part of tens of millions around the world. The same people who like movies like Transformers. Its nice to think for myself.

Transformers as a big dumb action movie, this was the only big smart blockbuster action movie in recent memory.
Your comparison is flawed
post #29 of 487 Old 09-04-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Yup. Not even worth debating with a guy who hates both Dark Knight and Inception.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #30 of 487 Old 09-04-2010, 01:59 PM

I didn't like The Dark Knight either. And I also thought this movie was a rip-off of many other movies. But I still thoroughly enjoyed it, it was better than I expected. It had many interesting things going for it, and I thought while gimmicky, the multiple dream layers was a wonderfully effective action tool to in essence stack simultaneous storylines together in a unique way to add a great deal of suspense and tension to the film.

It's not a great film. But I think it certainly was much much better than mediocre.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page