post #91 of 99 Old 07-12-2012, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post

eek.gif
Hmm... extremely tempting. Any word on the PQ? Better than the other release?
Do the special features play as well?

The same master was used for both, so PQ is nearly identical. There's actually a few more visible print scratches on the UK disc. Where as the MGM disc had them "painted" out (And painted out poorly). I think there's a few comparisons somewhere on BD.com showing this. I personally prefer the ever so slightly grittier look of the UK disc. In terms of sharpness etc. They're virtually identical.

The 2 hour More Brains Doc is in 1080p, and works fine. The rest of the features are all in Pal. Both original and revised lossless audio tracks are included.

It's a pretty great release if you're a fan. If you have a region B player, the extras that are in Pal are really fantastic too. And this the only release (Including DVD) to include the original audio mix. Which to many is enough of a reason to buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 07-12-2012, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorToschi View Post

The same master was used for both, so PQ is nearly identical. There's actually a few more visible print scratches on the UK disc. Where as the MGM disc had them "painted" out (And painted out poorly). I think there's a few comparisons somewhere on BD.com showing this. I personally prefer the ever so slightly grittier look of the UK disc. In terms of sharpness etc. They're virtually identical.
The 2 hour More Brains Doc is in 1080p, and works fine. The rest of the features are all in Pal. Both original and revised lossless audio tracks are included.
It's a pretty great release if you're a fan. If you have a region B player, the extras that are in Pal are really fantastic too. And this the only release (Including DVD) to include the original audio mix. Which to many is enough of a reason to buy it.

Sounds like there's more grain in the UK release.
I think I saw this in the theater with my friends 3 or 4 times. I've got the original soundtrack on vinyl. I need to put a blu-ray drive in my HTPC. I've got a few PAL DVDs that I've ordered and playing them on the PC is no problem at all. I'll probably ponder this one for the next couple of days and then end up ordering it. I ordered the UK version of Vamp because of the extras. That was region free though.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #93 of 99 Old 07-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Sounds like there's more grain in the UK release.
I think I saw this in the theater with my friends 3 or 4 times. I've got the original soundtrack on vinyl. I need to put a blu-ray drive in my HTPC. I've got a few PAL DVDs that I've ordered and playing them on the PC is no problem at all. I'll probably ponder this one for the next couple of days and then end up ordering it. I ordered the UK version of Vamp because of the extras. That was region free though.

Going region free is really no big deal. PAL conversion on dvds, too. Then you can order whatever you want, and not worry about it.
post #94 of 99 Old 07-12-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have both discs, the UK one wins do to it having the unaltered mono track.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #95 of 99 Old 07-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Ordered! tongue.gif

Couldn't resist. Such a great movie, definitely one of my favorite 80's horror flicks (love 80s horror flicks).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R_STL View Post

Going region free is really no big deal. PAL conversion on dvds, too. Then you can order whatever you want, and not worry about it.

Wow, I didn't think you touch region free players for under $200 or so. Very tempting. I'll keep that in mind for a future upgrade. Right now my money is about to be tied up in a projector and screen. biggrin.gif

post #96 of 99 Old 07-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Wow, I didn't think you touch region free players for under $200 or so. Very tempting. I'll keep that in mind for a future upgrade. Right now my money is about to be tied up in a projector and screen. biggrin.gif

For a while, Walmart Canada had a budget $50 Blu-ray player from Seiki. And with a simple code could be completely unlocked. Don't know of that model is still around, but it was completely worth it. Works like a charm, and I didn't notice any discernible quality difference when compared to my PS3.
post #97 of 99 Old 07-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For a while, Walmart Canada had a budget $50 Blu-ray player from Seiki. And with a simple code could be completely unlocked. Don't know of that model is still around, but it was completely worth it. Works like a charm, and I didn't notice any discernible quality difference when compared to my PS3.

Seiki BD660

Hard to find.

post #98 of 99 Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Despite being region B locked, hitting the top menu button during the "Wrong region" black screen will conveniently bring you directly to the main menu. A few folks at Blu-ray.com figured this out. I've personally tested it on 3 region A players, and the disc works on all.

Mine arrived today and I just wanted to verify that this indeed does work.

Love the steelbook, great cover!

post #99 of 99 Old 07-18-2012, 09:05 PM

Liked: 832
Well, reading through the hilarious Facebook comment thread, looks like most of us won't have a problem dumping our sub par DVD sets at a decent price!

smile.gif
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page