AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
http://www.tvpredictions.com/disney092210.htm

Disney to Improve Your HD Pix
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (September 22, 2010) -- Disney is planning to introduce a Blu-ray disc that will help consumers set up their Home Theater systems, including calibrating the best picture for their HDTVs.

The disc, which will be available on November 2, will cost $34.95. A standard-definition DVD edition will cost $29.99.

Disney says the disc, called Disney WOW (World of Wonder), will offer picture calibration tips for all types of sets, from flat-screens to projectors. It will also provide advice for both the notice and the most experienced audio/video enthusiast.

While nearly a majority of U.S. homes now have high-def sets, many consumers are still confused about how to best program the picture and/or which cables to use.

The Disney disc will include scenes from such Disney movies as Bolt and Pirates of the Caribbean to help consumers tune their sets so the picture is correct.

Disney made the announcement about the disc at this week's CEDIA Expo in Atlanta. The disc will be available at retail stores and online sites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 171 Old 09-22-2010, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This looks interesting, but any new calibration disc these days needs to offer 3-D test patterns.

Movies look their best when they look like movies. More Patton-esque remasters!

post #3 of 171 Old 09-22-2010, 12:33 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Disney to Improve Your HD Pix

Are they sending an ISF guy to my house? if not then I am good
post #4 of 171 Old 09-22-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Are they sending an ISF guy to my house? if not then I am good

This is just one of those things that's "not for you".

And it's not for me, either. That said, I think it's a good idea.
post #5 of 171 Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

This is just one of those things that's "not for you".

And it's not for me, either. That said, I think it's a good idea.

I was just kidding! it won't work for the people out there where the vivid setting never comes off the TV, they will think it looks worse
post #6 of 171 Old 09-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm kind of curious to see how this shakes out. A major media distributor trying to bring some...heck, any form of calibration know-how to the masses isn't a bad idea, though as said above it'll fly right over the heads of certain folks...

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #7 of 171 Old 09-23-2010, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Might have some nice demo material. That's one thing I hate about showing people my system--showing selected scenes from different blu-rays takes forever to have each one load!
post #8 of 171 Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 AM

Liked: 10
Disney WOW. Um, remember the THX WOW LD and dvd? I wonder if George Lucus is thinking about suing. An Android phone without the 'An' is a registered trademark of Lucusfilm (weird).
post #9 of 171 Old 09-23-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Disc content looks appealing, even for someone who already has DVE HD Basics; it looks like Disney put some thought into the disc. It's great to see a more mass-market evaluation disc that could get consumers to take notice, reduce their sharpness settings, etc. so that grain doesn't look as artificially aggravated. Unfortunately, I think most US distributors are already convinced that to sell the BD format, fidelity is less important than ill-informed perception based on the limitations of the cheapest, poorest quality HD displays available, possibly even addressing calibration error. Even if that wasn't the case, the disc won't help with the artificial, aggravated artifacting produced by most consumer displays, especially flat-panels, that also elevates video noise beyond what is actually on the disc.

The price seems too high to get people to chose a test disc over a movie though, and I don't see a disc like this vying well for real estate over movies, so sales may not be high enough for the kind of discounting it'll take to get more people to buy.

I agree that, this late in the game, there should be a 2-disc option with a disc dedicated to 3D setup. Considering the limited availability of 3D content, such would probably sell better and be more likely to justify in-store display or shelf space.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #10 of 171 Old 09-23-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

They should include a copy with their mega dollar BD SKUs.
post #11 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Hello Forum Members,

As the Producer/Director of the "Disney WOW World of Wonder" disc and related products, I hope to answer a few questions for Forum Members.

The "Disney WOW World of Wonder" disc is available in both DVD and Blu-ray Disc versions. There is a great deal of depth with respect to the information on the disc along with easy to use professional quality A/V Calibration tools and Digital Reference Quality demonstration clips.

Here is a list of features and tests available on the Disney WOW World of Wonder Blu-ray Disc:

DISCOVER

Beginner
•Home Theater Basics With Goofy
•Easy As 1-2-3
•Lost University
•Split Screen Showdown

Advanced
•What Makes up A Picture?
•What Is Sound?
•What Is Compression?
•What are interlaced/progressive
•What is 24 frame playback?

Disney Blu-ray™
•Creating New Memories
•Digital Copy
•Disney Movie Rewards
•Disney BD-Live™

OPTIMIZE

Beginner

VIDEO TOOLS
•Brightness
•Aspect Ratio
•Contrast
•Color
•Sharpness

VIEWING ANGLE DIAGNOSTIC
•Find the best seat in the house

AUDIO TOOLS
•Speaker ID
•Polarity Test
•Noise Floor
•Buzz & Rattle Test

ADVANCED

VIDEO TOOLS

Professional Video Calibration and Monitor Evaluation specifically designed for optimizing and testing all displays including:

•LCD
•Plasma
•DLP
•OLED
•CRT
•Projector

ADVANCED VIDEO CALIBRATION TOOLS

•Advanced Brightness & Contrast
•Aspect Ratio
•Convergence
•Chroma & Hue
•Sharpness/Focus
•Overscan Test
•A/V Sync

DISPLAY EVALUATION TOOLS
•Purity
•Scaling Test
•Advanced Scaling 1 & 2
•Sharpness/Focus
•Hyperbolic Zone Plate
•White-Black Clipping
•Viewing Angle Test
•Gamma Response
•Grayscale
•Scaling Test
•Advanced Scaling 1 & 2
•Sharpness/Focus
•Hyperbolic Zone Plate
•White-Black Clipping
•Viewing Angle Test
•Gamma Response
•Grayscale
•Compound Test Chart

AUDIO TOOLS

•Speaker ID
•Polarity Test
•Noise Floor
•Buzz & Rattle Test
•A/V Sync
•Speaker Level Adjustment
•Subwoofer Level Adjustment

EXPERT

PROFESSIONAL TOOLS

HD SHOOTOUT
•Standard DVD vs. HD Blu-ray (BD only)

EXPERIENCE

INCLUDES BREATHTAKING SCENES FROM YOUR FAVORITE DISNEY FILMS AND MORE.

(30 Clips in Total)

• TOY STORY
• TOY STORY 2
• UP
• WALL-E
• G-FORCE
• BOLT
• TINKER BELL AND THE LOST TREASURE
• MONSTERS, INC.
• PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLD’S END
• THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS
• THE PRESTIGE
• SURROGATES
• NATURE’S JOURNEY

DISC #1: Run Time: Approx. 180 Minutes

--------------------------

BONUS DISC

VISIONS: INSPIRED BY NATURE

Features eleven environmental loops of natural and digitally created landscapes, with original music scores and ambient sounds - perfect for meditating, relaxing or entertaining. Also makes the perfect in-store demo to show off the full capabilities of any home theater system or monitor.

Flower Fields • Cumulous Day • Forest Waterfalls • Big Sur Fireplace • Ocean Sunset • Spring • Desert Vistas • Summer • Mountain Skies • Sunrays • Ripples

Disc #2: Run Time: Approx. 60 Minutes

--------------------------

I hope to post some reviews soon that will help define the depth and quality of "Disney WOW World of Wonder" disc and related products.

Thank you and best regards,

Richard J. Casey
Executive Producer
R&B Films, Ltd.

Richard J. Casey

Disney WOW - World of Wonder

Producers Guild of America, New Media Council
(BD Industry Insider)
post #12 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Really applaud this effort. Should be some kind of promo where you get it free or greatly reduced with the purchase of xx amount of disney blu-rays...
post #13 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Disney Movie Rewards has just added Blu-Ray discs to the menu of rewards you may choose once you've accumulated enough points. Perhaps this disc will be included in these offers.

Lee

B&W 801D (Left,Right), B&W HTM1D (center), B&W CWM8180 x 3 (6.1 surround), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), Krell S1500/3 (rear 3 channels), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Pioneer PRO-HD1540 plasma 60"
post #14 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Calibration on most TV's is totally over-hyped. When a movie like Robin Hood drops the colour palette down it can look awful calibrated properly. Basically I ignore calibration now, and just make the picture look good even if it is supposed to be wrong. I am actually quite annoyed at the amount of AV enthusiasts think that calibration actually means anything. Basically it is a way to make yourself appear to use your hobby to its highest level, where as infact you are being manipulated into believing hype.

All that most TV's have to adjust are...

Contrast
Colour
Brightness
Sharpness

Then you have
Iris
Motion
DNR

But at the end of the day a disc is there for just

Contrast
Colour
Brightness (black level) see even I have to go with a technical term. (Just make the black, black)
Sharpness

Now if you can't get those 4 things right by eye you are a tree frog.

Now let's think about the hype of bleeding colours.. too much colour saturation. Too much brightness. Big deal to be honest. If you can't see the colour bleeding then don't worry about it, you probably don't have too much of it anyway. If the red is spread across the screen then you will see it, adjust by eye to get rid of it.

So much over-hype.

I believe that some projectors have more settings. Then fine.. but I'm just talking TV's here.

Genius is an insult to my intelligence!

post #15 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice. I do have one question: is the DVD vs BD comparison legit? Cause most demos use "simulated" images with reduced saturation on the DVD to get the point across to non-techies...
post #16 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain View Post

they should include a copy with their mega dollar bd skus.

amen!

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #17 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
I'll probably get this disc just for all the demo material on one disc.

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #18 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 10:55 AM

Liked: 12
•Home Theater Basics With Goofy
thats not the same thing as the Goofy, How to Hook Up Your Home Theater, is it?
post #19 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho View Post

Calibration on most TV's is totally over-hyped. When a movie like Robin Hood drops the colour palette down it can look awful calibrated properly. Basically I ignore calibration now, and just make the picture look good even if it is supposed to be wrong. I am actually quite annoyed at the amount of AV enthusiasts think that calibration actually means anything. Basically it is a way to make yourself appear to use your hobby to its highest level, where as infact you are being manipulated into believing hype.

Contrast
Colour
Brightness
Sharpness

Then you have
Iris
Motion
DNR

But at the end of the day a disc is there for just

Contrast
Colour
Brightness (black level) see even I have to go with a technical term. (Just make the black, black)
Sharpness

Now if you can't get those 4 things right by eye you are a tree frog.

Now let's think about the hype of bleeding colours.. too much colour saturation. Too much brightness. Big deal to be honest. If you can't see the colour bleeding then don't worry about it, you probably don't have too much of it anyway. If the red is spread across the screen then you will see it, adjust by eye to get rid of it.

So much over-hype.

I believe that some projectors have more settings. Then fine.. but I'm just talking TV's here.

There's nothing wrong with tweaking to personal taste, and I agree that a "set it and forget it" mentality is ill-informed; calibration should probably be regarded more as a baseline, considering the inconsistencies in film mastering, disc authoring, and other transmission discrepencies. I'm not even completely sold on the need for ISF calibration anymore, at least not for anyone other than "professional" reviewers, simply because: digital displays tend to be a little more accurate than analog was and the color spectrum can change too much as the lamp ages, not to mention room color can bias our perception of the video's color too.

Unless you can do it yourself, with 2-4 thousand hour lamps, the expense of frequent checkup may be harder to justify. That money could buy a lot of movies. And when the technology is improving so rapidly, it seems a more prudent investment to put it aside for upgrading to a better quality display in a few years than to spend several hundred every 6-12 months just to ensure fleshtones are absolutely perfect in the relatively few films these days that are actually meant to look natural. Of course ISF is more beneficial than that, especially with components that are further off the mark.

But, assuming you buy a display known to have a reasonably accurate grayscale out of the box and set it up in a color neutral room, basic level settings can not be set accurately enough by eye any more than you can hear timbre changes and level settings just by listening to a movie's soundtrack. Whether you choose to strictly adhere to a calibration discs recommendations or loosely adhere to them either in an attempt to compensate for perceived authoring error, print age and deterioration, or personal taste, such discs are still invaluable in helping you realize the potential of your components and recognize their limitations.

Reviewers have to be a little more thorough in the steps they take toward insuring their perceptions are more a reflection of what's actually being reviewed than room influence or equipment bias, but anyone who doesn't calibrate an aspect of their display properly has no business whatsoever, criticizing that aspects a/v reproduction or quality; even a calibrated display can be biasing enough, uncalibrated equipment pretty much guarantees perception will be more reflective of the hardware than the software. Criticizing a DVD or BD based on the perception from uncalibrated components isn't much different from jacking up a pick-up truck, refitting it with tractor-sized rims and tires and assuming the factory speedometer settings will still be accurate.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #20 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyW View Post

Disney WOW. Um, remember the THX WOW LD and dvd? I wonder if George Lucus is thinking about suing. An Android phone without the 'An' is a registered trademark of Lucusfilm (weird).

Disney has been using the World of Wonder moniker since George Lucas was knee-high to an Ewok.
post #21 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 477
How about professional-grade 3D calibration patterns as a bonus?

7.1 audio calibration section for Blu-ray... maybe encoded as DTS-MA 7.1? Include 7.1 surround HD video clips from Disney properties, even Toy Story 3.

Looks interesting. Maybe you could team up with Spears and Munsil to include some of their advanced setup and torture-test segments? Now, that disc is a must have.

Perhaps for version 2.0?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #22 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyW View Post

An Android phone without the 'An' is a registered trademark of Lucusfilm (weird).

Yeah, that's pretty dumb.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #23 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho View Post

Contrast
Colour
Brightness
Sharpness

????

Most modern TV's have a MUCH larger array of options than this. Let's add a few that even the cheap LCDs these days have...

Panel Brightness
Y/C filter
NR filter
Color temperature
Red adjustment
Green adjustment
Blue adjustment

Brands like mid and high priced Samsungs have even more features.

And let's not forget, the education of knowing what to look for in an accurate picture is as import as the calibration itself. Looking at your sig, I'm hoping you'll agree.
post #24 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Whether you choose to strictly adhere to a calibration discs recommendations or loosely adhere to them either in an attempt to compensate for perceived authoring error, print age and deterioration, or personal taste, such discs are still invaluable in helping you realize the potential of your components and recognize their limitations.

A thousand times yes. Knowing where the baseline is simply makes logical sense. It honestly makes deviating a far more interesting process too. (You actually KNOW you're deviating. ^_^)
post #25 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Nice. I do have one question: is the DVD vs BD comparison legit? Cause most demos use "simulated" images with reduced saturation on the DVD to get the point across to non-techies...

There is a DVD verses BD comparison on both the DVD and BD Versions of the disc. The comparisons were created using proper math and proper compression to achieve the best possible representations. However, they are "simulated images" because they are modified for the purpose of comparison.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #26 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

How about professional-grade 3D calibration patterns as a bonus?

7.1 audio calibration section for Blu-ray... maybe encoded as DTS-MA 7.1? Include 7.1 surround HD video clips from Disney properties, even Toy Story 3.

Looks interesting. Maybe you could team up with Spears and Munsil to include some of their advanced setup and torture-test segments? Now, that disc is a must have.

Perhaps for version 2.0?

* Everything on the BD disc is DTS Master Audio Lossless except some of the narration in the A/V Tools section.

* We have audio tools for 2.0, 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 on the BD Disc.

* We have 7.1 demo Disney clips and we have 5.1 and 7.1 Disney/Pixar content on the BD DIsc.

* We have 5.1 and 7.1 content at 96/24 on the VISIONS BD Disc....which is included on the 2 disc BD version of the product.

* We have advanced A/V Setup tools for both Audio & Video. There are 35 A/V Calibration & Evaluation Tools on the disc.

* We have a "Torture Test" for encoders on the BD Disc in an uncompressed file that you can access with your computer. We put this on there for people who would like to put their encoders to the test. We include a very high quality encode of this test as a benchmark reference as well.

I hope that gives you a better idea of what we have included on the BD version of the disc.

Richard J. Casey
Producer/Director

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #27 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdmt View Post

Home Theater Basics With Goofy
thats not the same thing as the Goofy, How to Hook Up Your Home Theater, is it?

No, it is not. We are familiar with that clip and it is in high demand. A lot of CEDIA Members are asking for it.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #28 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

I'll probably get this disc just for all the demo material on one disc.

There are 30 demo clips on the "Disney WOW World of Wonder" disc featuring extreme high bit rate AVC Encodes, DTS-MA Lossless Audio, and both 5.1 and 7.1 demos.

There is over one (1) hour of content on the VISIONS Disc featuring high bit rate 5.1 and 7.1 audio at both 48/24 and 96/24 resolution.

There is easily over 1 hour and 45 minutes or world class demonstration material between both discs.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #29 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C. View Post

I'm kind of curious to see how this shakes out. A major media distributor trying to bring some...heck, any form of calibration know-how to the masses isn't a bad idea, though as said above it'll fly right over the heads of certain folks...

The disc includes calibration tools for beginners, advanced users, and experts. However, the on screen instructions are extremely clear and simple to understand. In addition, we include a 56 page booklet with detailed instructions for each and every A/V Tool.

Richard J. Casey

(BD Industry Insider)
post #30 of 171 Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

So much looking forward to this!
Reply Blu-ray Software