The Expendables Blu-Ray - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 65 Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Yes. Where have you been? Old news. That still stings.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 65 Old 11-30-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

I just rented this movie from redbox and am watching it right now. I thought this movie was supposed to be in DTS-HD Master Audio. I rented the blu ray, the only options for audio are Dolby Digital and Spanish Dolby Digital. WHAT GIVES!!!! Does redbox get "special" blu ray copies that don't have the lossless audio formats or something?

It forces people who want to buy or enjoy the movie with all the fixins and toppings to buy the retail packaging. Rental companies like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video were selling their used discs - essentially the same as retail packaging at the time - with no money going to the studios and that is what led to the watered down rental discs.
post #63 of 65 Old 12-01-2012, 07:00 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

It forces people who want to buy or enjoy the movie with all the fixins and toppings to buy the retail packaging. Rental companies like Blockbuster and Hollywood Video were selling their used discs - essentially the same as retail packaging at the time - with no money going to the studios and that is what led to the watered down rental discs.

That's not entirely correct. Used discs were FAR more prevalent in the glory days of the video stores and they never pulled anything like this. The studios still did fine (DVD soared over VHS in just a few years), and they were still paid by the stores for the initial sale, even if it was a discounted rate.

What happened was that DVD/Blu-ray sales hit a peak. Growth stopped. Where in the preceding decade DVD grew every year, it suddenly hit a wall because of the economy. Blu-ray didn't gain traction as fast as the studios hoped. In steps desperate measures like this because the studios believe the person who rents a movie for $1 will then turn around and buy it for $20, or they'll ignore the rental all together. Totally different customer base, and most of these measures have been put to rest.

Warner used to be on a 28 day delay to rental stores but canned it. They tried a 56 day delay to Redbox/Netflix, and backed down on that too, reverting to 28. I'm assuming that'll be done and over with soon too. I think they're realizing that even if it (supposedly) means lost sales, the rental market still pushes a lot of discs and keeps interest high.
post #64 of 65 Old 12-01-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
Flippin' heck. I hope they don't do a third one, otherwise they'll have to name it The Depends-ables.

Didn't have high expectations going into this, and I wasn't disappointed. Glad I just did the rental route on this one.
post #65 of 65 Old 12-01-2012, 04:34 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

Flippin' heck. I hope they don't do a third one, otherwise they'll have to name it The Depends-ables.
Didn't have high expectations going into this, and I wasn't disappointed. Glad I just did the rental route on this one.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEUQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metro.co.uk%2Ffilm%2F917095-nicolas-cage-confirmed-for-the-expendables-3-by-sylvester-stallone&ei=AaK6UNvUNZSp0AWj44CABA&usg=AFQjCNFcaadwIDsrFXErz92MCqORQL-RRg&sig2=x4f2wfWZYzS6hxWX6eZSbg
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page