Downton Abbey UK release - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 11-10-2010, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have tried to find the specs on the amazon website but I cannot find what the region coding is. Does anyone have any clue what it is going to be? I have a US PS3.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Downton-Abbe...9456235&sr=8-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Amazon USA shows a region A version can be preordered for early-April 2011 release; (versus the in-stock Blu-ray at the linked Amazon UK). Started a thread today about the PBS TV series in the programming section.

Too bad there's no similar Amazon USA pre-order notice about the BBC-WGBH production of the PBS-broadcast "Little Dorrit"--only available in the UK region-B Blu-ray format. -- John
post #3 of 46 Old 01-16-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Any update on whether this title is region free? Been thoroughly enjoying this on Masterpiece Theater but would like to pick up in HD glory.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #4 of 46 Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 AM

Liked: 10
It's a Universal release so it's region free and doesn't contain any 50Hz content.

what's a semiologist?
post #5 of 46 Old 01-21-2011, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I've just ordered this. If you like I can check it in my US PS3 when it arrives and definitively let you know the region status.
post #6 of 46 Old 01-21-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Started a thread on the PBS showing (current, programming forum). From various posts there, is seems the U.K.Blu-ray is region B only, while the region A (U.S., etc.) release is slated for early April. -- John
post #7 of 46 Old 01-24-2011, 02:02 PM

I received the Downton Abbey BD today from Amazon UK. I only had a few minutes to test it, but I was able to bring up the menu and start the first episode with no problems on my U.S. PS3. It appears that there's no reason to wait until April. After the currency conversion, the UK release was even a few cents cheaper than the Amazon's pre-order price in the U.S.
post #8 of 46 Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

My copy should be arriving from Amazon UK any day now (it shipped over a week ago). From everything I've read online (and seemingly confirmed by RSHale), the UK discs are region-free with the extras in NTSC SD.
post #9 of 46 Old 03-17-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Sorry to report that we have apparently lost Amazon UK as a place to buy BDs. Last night I noticed for the first time that they will no longer ship to US addresses. For example Amazon UK's page for the Downton Abbey BDs now contains the warning:
Quote:

We are not able to dispatch this item to your default delivery address.

The pages for all other BDs and everything else I have checked for contains the same warning. Too bad, too bad!
post #10 of 46 Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I checked it out up to the point of confirmation and I did not receive that warning.

YMMV?

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #11 of 46 Old 03-17-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

I checked it out up to the point of confirmation and I did not receive that warning.

YMMV?

Best Regards
KvE

When did you order? I had no trouble when I ordered my Season 1 Downton Abbey BDs from Amazon UK in January. Yesterday was the first time I had seen the warning that they could not ship to my default delivery address. By the way, my address is pretty vanilla, it is a street address for a single family dwelling.
post #12 of 46 Old 03-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Liked: 22
This seems odd because I have gotten five packages from amazon UK this very week. I think this is bogus.

EDIT: I just this minute ordered a Blu-ray and it all went through fine. No panic necessary.
post #13 of 46 Old 03-17-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

This seems odd because I have gotten five packages from amazon UK this very week. I think this is bogus.

EDIT: I just this minute ordered a Blu-ray and it all went through fine. No panic necessary.

For whatever reason, when I checked the Amazon UK site again just now,the dreaded warning had disappeared. Go figure. Just hope it stays disappeared.

On another subject, does anyone buy Region B BDs and, if so, what BD player do you use to play them?
post #14 of 46 Old 03-17-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

For whatever reason, when I checked the Amazon UK site again just now,the dreaded warning had disappeared. Go figure. Just hope it stays disappeared.

On another subject, does anyone buy Region B BDs and, if so, what BD player do you use to play them?

Oppo - a superb all-region player.
post #15 of 46 Old 03-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
The Oppo is only region free for BD's once it's modified, it isn't region-free-friendly straight out of the box (It does however, playback and convert 1080i50 to 1080i60 right out of the box. This is the main issue with the majority of import UK TV shows that prevents people from watching them.)

The 93 can be modified easily to play DVD's of all regions via software (an all-region disc,) but for region free BD playback you need a hardware solution.

I have a 93 and it is fantastic.
post #16 of 46 Old 03-17-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, guys. After I posted my question, I did some more research and liked what I read about the Oppo BDP-93. From what you say, though, it appears that it won't play Region B and C BDs without a hardware hack. That sounds like a big mess to have to undertake with a $500 BD player. I was hoping for a simpler solution.
post #17 of 46 Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks, guys. After I posted my question, I did some more research and liked what I read about the Oppo BDP-93. From what you say, though, it appears that it won't play Region B and C BDs without a hardware hack. That sounds like a big mess to have to undertake with a $500 BD player. I was hoping for a simpler solution.

It is simple - you just purchase from this company - it's already done and they are great and have great service. Direct link below:

http://www.world-import.com/oppo-bdp...ay-player.html
post #18 of 46 Old 03-18-2012, 05:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:

For some people backup software is a simpler solution. Region code is conveniently lost during the backup.

-Bill
post #19 of 46 Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator

A note on the program: Christmas at Downton Abbey is a 90 minute special to be watched after season 2. It's essential if you are following the story.

In the UK it is sold separately but also included on the season 2 set; I ordered both by mistake. I haven't looked to see if the US version will be the same.

-Bill
post #20 of 46 Old 03-18-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

For some people backup software is a simpler solution. Region code is conveniently lost during the backup.

-Bill

Assuming the drive you're using to rip the disc is either region free or set to Region B...
post #21 of 46 Old 03-18-2012, 06:01 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Assuming the drive you're using to rip the disc is either region free or set to Region B...

I don't think that's an issue, but it's getting off topic here. Anyone interested should consult the Ripping Blu-rays thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1336046

-Bill
post #22 of 46 Old 03-18-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, again, to everybody for their advice about region free BD players. It looks like World Import is the way to go.

Back on topic for a moment. I bought the Season 1 Downton Abbey BDs from Amazon UK and the Season 2 discs from Amazon.com. Both sets play perfectly on my PS3. That's because the Downton Abbey discs are both region free and encoded at the US standard 60i. Unfortunately, my PS3 is one of the BD players that can't deal with the UK standard 50i. This means that PS3s won't play "Region Free" BDs if they were encoded at 50i. Buyer beware! As noted, though, both seasons of the Downton Abbey BDs sold by Amazon UK are just fine.
post #23 of 46 Old 03-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Why are people ordering this from Amazon UK when the uncut UK version (Region 1) is available at Amazon.com?
post #24 of 46 Old 03-18-2012, 10:39 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman View Post

Why are people ordering this from Amazon UK when the uncut UK version (Region 1) is available at Amazon.com?

I don't think it was available when I bought mine. And it's sometimes cheaper to import.

-Bill
post #25 of 46 Old 03-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Makes sense. Thanks.
post #26 of 46 Old 03-18-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

I don't think it was available when I bought mine. And it's sometimes cheaper to import.

This was my situation too. When I bought the Season 1 BDs even with shipping charges added they were considerably cheaper coming from Amazon UK than they would have been if I had ordered them from Amazon.com. When the Season 2 BDs came out, it was easier and just as cheap to get them from Amazon.com. I will almost certainly buy Season 3 from Amazon UK. The discs will be released at a considerably earlier date in the UK than they will be in the US because Season 3 will air in the UK a lot earlier than it will here.
post #27 of 46 Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks, again, to everybody for their advice about region free BD players. It looks like World Import is the way to go.

Back on topic for a moment. I bought the Season 1 Downton Abbey BDs from Amazon UK and the Season 2 discs from Amazon.com. Both sets play perfectly on my PS3. That's because the Downton Abbey discs are both region free and encoded at the US standard 60i. Unfortunately, my PS3 is one of the BD players that can't deal with the UK standard 50i. This means that PS3s won't play "Region Free" BDs if they were encoded at 50i. Buyer beware! As noted, though, both seasons of the Downton Abbey BDs sold by Amazon UK are just fine.

It is the way to go, and it it does a software update it does NOT lose the region free coding. Ever.
post #28 of 46 Old 03-18-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penman View Post

Very simple - because the transfer on the US season two at least is horrible - filled with stuttering motion on every camera move in the show. I saw it, then Robert Harris saw it, and he went ballistic about it at the HTF. The UK import is perfect.
post #29 of 46 Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Very simple - because the transfer on the US season two at least is horrible - filled with stuttering motion on every camera move in the show. I saw it, then Robert Harris saw it, and he went ballistic about it at the HTF. The UK import is perfect.

I see large motion artifacts on the UK version. I've wondered if the program wasn't recorded at 50hz and badly converted to 60.

I've tried this on only one player; I should test it on another and on a PC.

-Bill
post #30 of 46 Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It [a region free BD player from World Import] is the way to go, and it it does a software update it does NOT lose the region free coding. Ever.

I ordered a region free BD player from World Import this morning. I went the most economical way possible and bought an LG BD-550 modified by World Import to play discs from anywhere. Thought about the Oppo BDP-93 but $630 was too rich for my blood.

I plan to preorder the Downton Abbey Series 3 BDs just as soon as they show up on Amazon UK's site.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page