Fox Blu-ray Discs - Go Bad? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 119 Old 08-01-2012, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Haven't tried any of my BD's! I must have over 200+ disc titles that I'd need to check. Add to that, all of the DVD's I own, which is probably equal to that number. Heck, i even own about 100 Laserdiscs too. Some of those do show minor signs of playback problems, but do still play as well for me.

You'd think that the manufactures would have come up with some kind of material that wouldn't cause a problem over time. I guess that's one reason why new formats have come up over time, but it does get tiresome replacing titles with the new thing all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 119 Old 08-01-2012, 02:27 PM

Liked: 15
I suspect a bad load of resin coating could be the culprit. Otherwise all discs would be going bad.
post #93 of 119 Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Before anybody get too panicky....

I just went back and read all of the posts in this thread.

Keeping in mind that this thread was started in late 2010, I counted only about 8 folks actually reporting unplayable discs.

The rest of the posts here are people expressing concern or posting various other questions and observations. With this thread approaching it's second birthday with only a tiny handful of people here reporting problems, I can't see this as a significant issue. That's not to say that these are the only 8 guys with disc problems. But when you consider that many of us have hundreds of discs and there are a lot of registered users here, any widespread problem would have generated a whole lot more complaints.

If this thread was a month old, 40 pages long with 80 people reporting unplayable discs, I'd be sweating.

But for an older thread that's 4 pages long with 8 people reporting unplayable discs, I'm not losing sleep.
post #94 of 119 Old 08-05-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
My copy of TDK no longer works. It needed to be loaded 4 or 5 times last time I tried it a year ago. Now it won't play in any thing. I am the only one that handles my disks and they get treated like they are the crown jewels. The surface looks mint though I don't remember it being so easy to read the label through the disk. But my memory could be unclear on that.
post #95 of 119 Old 08-06-2012, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Try TDK on another player before writing it off. A lot of people tend to blame their discs, after trying it on just one player.
post #96 of 119 Old 08-17-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain View Post

My copy of TDK no longer works. It needed to be loaded 4 or 5 times last time I tried it a year ago. Now it won't play in any thing. I am the only one that handles my disks and they get treated like they are the crown jewels. The surface looks mint though I don't remember it being so easy to read the label through the disk. But my memory could be unclear on that.

Had problems with mine last night too, at the 2 hour mark the movie got pixelated and then it stopped, I played it on another player and the same thing happened, then I tried it on the PS3 and it stopped(like paused) at that time and then continued playing....the disc is also in pristine condition.
post #97 of 119 Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

Keeping in mind that this thread was started in late 2010, I counted only about 8 folks actually reporting unplayable discs.
The rest of the posts here are people expressing concern or posting various other questions and observations. With this thread approaching it's second birthday with only a tiny handful of people here reporting problems, I can't see this as a significant issue. That's not to say that these are the only 8 guys with disc problems. But when you consider that many of us have hundreds of discs and there are a lot of registered users here, any widespread problem would have generated a whole lot more complaints.
If this thread was a month old, 40 pages long with 80 people reporting unplayable discs, I'd be sweating.
But for an older thread that's 4 pages long with 8 people reporting unplayable discs, I'm not losing sleep.

+1

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've been buying optical discs since 1982 when CDs were introduced and have only come across one optical disc that failed after owning it for several years (Apollo 13 DVD; Universal replaced it at no cost to me). My 30 year old CDs still play and look like new (I take very good care of them).

post #98 of 119 Old 08-20-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post

+1

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've been buying optical discs since 1982 when CDs were introduced and have only come across one optical disc that failed after owning it for several years (Apollo 13 DVD; Universal replaced it at no cost to me). My 30 year old CDs still play and look like new (I take very good care of them).
CDs were always a more reliable medium than DVDs or Blu-rays. The few kinks in the CD manufacturing process were worked out by the early 90s. More things could go wrong on DVDs with its dual layers. Blu-ray problems tend to be tied to specific errors in each pressing, introduced at the time of manufacture.
post #99 of 119 Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 PM

My copy of Superman Returns is done. It's the old one that has lossy audio. I sold it to someone on Amazon Marketplace who tried it in 2 different players with no luck. I tried both of my players when I got it back, to be sure and Yep it's done.
post #100 of 119 Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

CDs were always a more reliable medium than DVDs or Blu-rays. The few kinks in the CD manufacturing process were worked out by the early 90s. More things could go wrong on DVDs with its dual layers. Blu-ray problems tend to be tied to specific errors in each pressing, introduced at the time of manufacture.
Not only that, but the data density of DVDs and now BDs is so much higher than that of a CD. The higher the density of the data, the less it takes to create an error. The same pit or scratch that a CD player would shrug off can render a BD unplayable.

That's why big giant hard drives tend to be less reliable in data retention than smaller capacity ones - which is one reason raid systems tend to use much smaller capacity drives in the arrays.

The bigger the bits on the surface, the easier they are to read, even if some corruption occurs.
post #101 of 119 Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 180
My copy of pearl harbour won't play anymore. Ive had this movie since originally released now won't play. Tried in 7different players and it won't work. I'll have to scout for another copy now. mad.gif

Frank

post #102 of 119 Old 08-25-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

My copy of pearl harbour won't play anymore.
I fail to see the problem here biggrin.gif
mpalmieri1203 likes this.
post #103 of 119 Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I put the copy in my panasonic bd 30 in the dining room and it shows copyright violation ???? original disc brand new played only a few times. This annoys me very much.

I wonder if there is a way we can tell that there is a newly pressed version?

Frank

post #104 of 119 Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

I fail to see the problem here biggrin.gif

I know its not a very well liked movie in this forum, but I like it. smile.gif and Im annoyed that it doesnt work. frown.gif

Frank

post #105 of 119 Old 08-26-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I know its not a very well liked movie in this forum, but I like it. smile.gif and Im annoyed that it doesnt work. frown.gif
Is it a Kate Bekinsale thing?

post #106 of 119 Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 PM

my copy of THe Robe has developed obvious disc rot at the periphery of the disc and the centre Spindle

My other Fox Disc from the Elia Kazan Collection "a tree grows in brooklyn " looks perfect but stutters on every blu player i try . Im pretty sure FOX uses CINRAM to press their discs and there were some problems with CINRAM pressed HD-DVD's.

Pics of the Robe

The movie plays fine (for now ) but I read somewhere that the rot eventually spreads

With 400+ titles in my library i hope blu ray disc rot is a rare event !
post #107 of 119 Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 129
^Yikes... I thought rot had gone out with LD's

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #108 of 119 Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
I personally do not advocate piracy, however I also think that the ability to make a single 1:1 copy of all legally purchased BD movie software (the same way a single-copy backup is permissable by the EULAs of software companies) should be allowed by content owners for this reason alone. Imagine having to re-purchase an out-of-print copy of some desirable title you owned that has succumbed to rot, like the Criterion Collection edition of "The Third Man" which often gets sold on ebay (new, still sealed) for several hundred dollars a pop eek.gif

post #109 of 119 Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Not to start a format war argument, but at least the handful of reports of rot with Blu-ray are few and far between, and nowhere near as bad as they were with HD DVD. Nearly every Warner HD DVD seems to become unplayable after a while: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332907/having-very-bad-luck-with-warner-hd-dvds
post #110 of 119 Old 01-28-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 View Post

Not to start a format war argument, but at least the handful of reports of rot with Blu-ray are few and far between, and nowhere near as bad as they were with HD DVD. Nearly every Warner HD DVD seems to become unplayable after a while: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332907/having-very-bad-luck-with-warner-hd-dvds
Warner got very lucky that HD DVD didn't win the format war. There would have been class-action lawsuits if the format had stuck around in any form. I have no idea how I would handle hundreds of discs in my collection suddenly being rendered unplayable.
post #111 of 119 Old 01-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd213 View Post

Although a number of Warner released discs had manufacturing problems resulting in problematic playback (mostly from 1 manufacturer, apparently), your statement is not accurate. I experienced about a 10% failure rate with Warner HD-DVDs. And a small handful of problems from all other studios combined. This is out of a fairly large collection. Blu-rays have been far more reliable, so far, for me, with only 1 or 2 problems. But then blu-ray has had a fair number of extra years to improve manufacturing of media.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #112 of 119 Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

Although a number of Warner released discs had manufacturing problems resulting in problematic playback (mostly from 1 manufacturer, apparently), your statement is not accurate. I experienced about a 10% failure rate with Warner HD-DVDs. And a small handful of problems from all other studios combined. This is out of a fairly large collection. Blu-rays have been far more reliable, so far, for me, with only 1 or 2 problems. But then blu-ray has had a fair number of extra years to improve manufacturing of media.

You are lucky, I take very good care of my disks and have found that close to half of the warner hd dvds I have will not play. I have started converting my hd dvds to blu ray and am storing them on external hard drives. I have not found any issues with any of my other hd dvds from other studios. I even had one warner disc, Lethal Weapon, that I opened for the first time (was still in the wrapper) a few months back that would not play right off the bat. Crazy and frustrating. I almost wonder if this problem played into their decision to go blu, which, if you remember, essentially ended the format war.
post #113 of 119 Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmoreXXX View Post

my copy of The Robe has developed obvious disc rot at the periphery of the disc and the centre Spindle
The one and only Blu-ray disc I have had to exchange so far for a problem when new was The Robe. My first copy would freeze or jump at what I suspect was the layer-change location. I did not look at the disc closely for anything visible.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #114 of 119 Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsdsmith View Post

You are lucky, I take very good care of my disks and have found that close to half of the warner hd dvds I have will not play. I have started converting my hd dvds to blu ray and am storing them on external hard drives. I have not found any issues with any of my other hd dvds from other studios. I even had one warner disc, Lethal Weapon, that I opened for the first time (was still in the wrapper) a few months back that would not play right off the bat. Crazy and frustrating. I almost wonder if this problem played into their decision to go blu, which, if you remember, essentially ended the format war.

I have read that the problematic discs from Warner were made by a company called "cinram". My defective Warner HD-DVDs were also mostly bad right out of the shrink wrap. Warner (Burbank) replaced every one of my bad titles with blu-rays of the same title.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #115 of 119 Old 08-20-2013, 04:56 AM

another shoddy Cinram pressing

this time its House MD series 6 from universal

2 discs had this defect (and theres 5 in the set)

post #116 of 119 Old 08-20-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:

My copy of pearl harbour won't play anymore. Ive had this movie since originally released now won't play. Tried in 7different players and it won't work. I'll have to scout for another copy now. mad.gif

Just curious if this Pearl Harbor was on DVD or Blu Ray. I only ask, because I just noticed that the second disc of my Pearl Harbor DVD wouldn't load on my computer or blu ray player. I can't swear if I ever watched the DVD before, but it seems like I did once when I first got it many years ago.

I also had one other DVD not load for me recently, unfortunately this is the Criterion DVD of A Night to Remember. I also purchased many years ago and had never tried to watch until recently.

A fairly good track record for having over 1000 DVDs and hundreds of blu rays...though hard to say what else might be on the shelf that doesn't work.

I am curious to check a few of the titles that have been mentioned here that I own, like AvP and Basic Instinct on blu ray (which I haven't watched yet) and Speed (though I think I've watched this one and it was fine).
post #117 of 119 Old 08-31-2013, 09:34 AM

Just tried to rewatch kingdom of heaven-dutch bluray-and 19 mins in the movie started freezing!!:another fox disc gone bad..
post #118 of 119 Old 10-04-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmoreXXX View Post

another shoddy Cinram pressing

this time its House MD series 6 from universal

2 discs had this defect (and theres 5 in the set)

Yeah, a handful of my BDs have that rot and I only have about 150 BDs. It looks exactly as what you pictured. I have that issue on a few of my Mad Men BDs (Lionsgate) and one on my UK BD of "The Shining" (WB). It's weird why it's happening on so many of my discs. I have way more DVDs than BDs and only one of my DVDs have gone bad in the several years I've been buying DVDs. So, I don't know why this is happening more with BDs than DVDs.

I tested my "rotted" BDs and so far they still play, which surprises me since a couple of those discs have a pretty big rot at the edge. I'm not sure how bad it has to spread before it renders the disc unplayable.

Does anyone have anymore knowledge on what this rot is and what is causing it?
post #119 of 119 Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 AM

I would think it depends on where the data is actually recorded to on the disc. Discs play from inside to outer edge. If the rot is close to the hub it may fail completely. If close to outer edge it would depend on where the recording of the data pits actually stopped.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page