Red - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
vld
Senior Member
 
vld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Southwest Desert
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RED is currently listed at Amazon with a January 25th date. As a matter of fact it is listed twice;



RED



RED (Special Edition)

Disc Details:
RED
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Audio: English DTS -HD Master Audio 5.1 / LAS 5.1 Dolby Digital / Bonus: English 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH & LAS Subtitles
* Format: AC-3, Color, Dolby, Subtitled, Widescreen
* Subtitles: English
* Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
* Number of discs: 1
* Rated: PG-13 (Parental Guidance Suggested)
* Studio: Summit Entertainment
* DVD Release Date: January 25, 2011
* Run Time: 111 minutes

RED (Special Edition)
Same Specs as Movie only disc and adds;
* Deleted and Extended Scenes
* Access Red: Immersive 6-part interactive feature including pop up trivia, videos, interviews and more
* CIA Exposed
* Audio Commentary with retired CIA Field Officer Robert Baer
vld is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
vld
Senior Member
 
vld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Southwest Desert
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now it seems that there is a third version of the movie. Best Buy is listing an exclusive DVD + Blu-Ray combo.



Also, Best Buy is offering free movie admission to Drive Angry when you purchase any of the three versions of RED that Best Buy offers.
vld is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,151
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Uh, this any good? Cast looks pretty good.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Malcolm_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CLASSIFIED
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It was a fun movie that isn't to be taken seriously. For me, it was all about Malkovich.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

Malcolm_B is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Senior Member
 
degas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Rumour says the barebone edition only has DD 5.1.
degas is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deviation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Posts: 2,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
Rumour says the barebone edition only has DD 5.1.
Bleah. I just created and cancelled an order for the bare bones edition within the space of five minutes because of this.
Deviation is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
vld
Senior Member
 
vld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Southwest Desert
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I call shenanigans on the different audio for the bare bones edition rumor. Just doesn't make any sense to me.
vld is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Mark Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Beautiful California
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
A fellow on Blu-ray.com forum that got the barebones version early has confirmed that it only has a DD 5.1 lossy track. He says he confirmed it by putting in his player, not just by reading the package.

On learning this news, I called Summit Entertainment and spoke with a fellow named Ryan in Home Entertainment. Ryan said he believed the reason the DTS-HD MA soundtrack was left off of the barebones version is because that version is on a BD25 disc. (The Special Edition version is, of course, on a BD50.)

About 90 minutes ago, Amazon lowered their price for the barebones to $12.99 (obviously to match Target's ad). But right now, the barebones version is not available for order on Amazon's site and there's a note that they don't know when they will get it back in stock. "Currently unavailable"

I'm really glad I didn't pre-order the barebones version. I'll wait patiently (weeks, months, year?) for the SE version to drop down to about $17 and then I'll add 'Red' to my collection. Before that, NO SALE!

Mark
Mark Booth is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deviation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Posts: 2,780
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vläd View Post
I call shenanigans on the different audio for the bare bones edition rumor. Just doesn't make any sense to me.
From what I'm reading, the SE is also a single-disc release. If it were a two-disc release, I'd be calling shenanigans as well because you'd expect to just get disc one of the two-disc set. But if the SE is only one disc, I could see somebody removing the HD audio from bare bones set to provide an incentive to purchase the SE.

If people show up tomorrow and have the bare bones edition with HD audio, I can always just order it again. The $12.99 price on Amazon right now certainly puts it in the "impulse purchase" category for me.
Deviation is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Patsfan123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Quincy, MA
Posts: 1,845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vläd View Post

I call shenanigans on the different audio for the bare bones edition rumor. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/4285483-post2205.html

I am waiting for when "budget"/rental editions to only have 720p video because "it wouldn't fit on a BD25."

Michael

Collection: DVD | High-def
Patsfan123 is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
vld
Senior Member
 
vld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Southwest Desert
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is rather weird, I mean apparently is is a different audio mix according to the details above from Mark booth. But the release announcements from Summit listed the same specs and the only difference would be the extras.

This makes me wonder what audio the Best Buy exclusive will have if it's indeed a flipper disc.
vld is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GoCaboNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,151
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
If it really is DD 5.1 this would have to be the stupidest thing. I have tons of single disk lossless blurays. If so, it drops completely off my impulse buy list as well.

Location: Beaverton, Oregon
My Dedicated Home Theater Room
GoCaboNow is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Mark Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Beautiful California
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

If it really is DD 5.1 this would have to be the stupidest thing. I have tons of single disk lossless blurays. If so, it drops completely off my impulse buy list as well.

Futureboy over at blu-ray.com has confirmed that the barebones version is DD 5.1 only:

Quote:


I got bare-bones RED this weekend from Amazon (guess they sent it a little early). It is indeed DD 5.1. PQ didn't strike me as the best either -- colors seem a bit faded with not a lot of sharpness. Wonder if other people would agree???

Later he added:

Quote:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologist
One last question - did you confirm the audio via the packaging or via your Blu Ray Player/ Audio Receiver.

Via the audio receiver.

Mark
Mark Booth is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
Slaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Futureboy over at blu-ray.com has confirmed that the barebones version is DD 5.1 only:

Pound to a penny this is the version Netflix, et al, will receive. The cynic in me wonders if this is another attempt by the studios to dissuade customers from renting, rather than buying, their titles. Special features are already gone and now the sound is getting downgraded too.
Slaine is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 01:55 PM
 
dvdmike007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 8,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post


http://forum.blu-ray.com/4285483-post2205.html

I am waiting for when "budget"/rental editions to only have 720p video because "it wouldn't fit on a BD25."

Warner could make it fit
dvdmike007 is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vpn75's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Pound to a penny this is the version Netflix, et al, will receive. The cynic in me wonders if this is another attempt by the studios to dissuade customers from renting, rather than buying, their titles. Special features are already gone and now the sound is getting downgraded too.

I have my copy coming from Netflix tomorrow. I'll be very disappointed if it comes with the lossy soundtrack and will be immediately sending it back.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

vpn75 is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
vld
Senior Member
 
vld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Southwest Desert
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

(snip)...
About 90 minutes ago, Amazon lowered their price for the barebones to $12.99 (obviously to match Target's ad). But right now, the barebones version is not available for order on Amazon's site and there's a note that they don't know when they will get it back in stock. "Currently unavailable"

Just an FYI, the movie only (bare bones) release is available to order from Amazon here.
vld is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Member
 
Zacabeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sweden
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Warner could make it fit

Warner could make an elephant fit in a bread box. It would be dead, but it would be in there. Together with at least 50% unused space.

As for making two single disc versions, that's pretty lousy. The logistics of having two versions must already eat into the profits, but the price difference between making a BD-50 and a BD-25 must be lesser than a single-inventory BD-50 and that plus the BD-25 that's been typical of SEs.

So there has to be some shady reason behind it, or there'd be no "movie only" version at all. They'd certainly make more money on the SE whether it was a single disc or two discs, so it seems fair to believe that the "movie only" version is intended as a deterrent, maybe to thwart the rental market, maybe to keep the pricing on BD software artificially inflated. Maybe both.

"Yes, we could make it more reasonably priced, but then we'll have to punish you by sending you back in time to 2006, with lesser picture and sound, and fewer special features."

Or maybe the bean counters at different depertments just aren't communicating, and this could be a perfectly innocent SNAFU.

This fine wine is really good - it tastes like it was bottled yesterday!
Zacabeb is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Maestro J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

I have my copy coming from Netflix tomorrow. I'll be very disappointed if it comes with the lossy soundtrack and will be immediately sending it back.

Me too. This disappoints me greatly that they would put a lossy track on a rental. What a stupid move if true. I'll know tomorrow...
Maestro J is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
 
eviltwincustoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Olathe, Ks
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacabeb View Post

Warner could make an elephant fit in a bread box. It would be dead, but it would be in there. Together with at least 50% unused space.

As for making two single disc versions, that's pretty lousy. The logistics of having two versions must already eat into the profits, but the price difference between making a BD-50 and a BD-25 must be lesser than a single-inventory BD-50 and that plus the BD-25 that's been typical of SEs.

So there has to be some shady reason behind it, or there'd be no "movie only" version at all. They'd certainly make more money on the SE whether it was a single disc or two discs, so it seems fair to believe that the "movie only" version is intended as a deterrent, maybe to thwart the rental market, maybe to keep the pricing on BD software artificially inflated. Maybe both.

"Yes, we could make it more reasonably priced, but then we'll have to punish you by sending you back in time to 2006, with lesser picture and sound, and fewer special features."

Or maybe the bean counters at different depertments just aren't communicating, and this could be a perfectly innocent SNAFU.



This figures... not good for those uneducated new to Blu Ray, they will just be seeing it as a Cheap Blu Ray movie and purchase it any way! Everyone has to remember there are a lot of customers that are buying into this new format with cheap players and Black Friday Walmart LCD TV's. I don't think that they will be as interested or worried about having DTS or just DD5.1 mix.
eviltwincustoms is offline  
Old 01-24-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Malcolm_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: CLASSIFIED
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't care for extras and don't want to buy the SE, but now might not get it at all. May as well just rent it at this point.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

Malcolm_B is offline  
Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Senior Member
 
ambientcafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alberta
Posts: 482
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"You had me at Dame Helen Mirren" -- she is the sole reason why I'm blind buying this....kudos to her for playing against type and having fun with it

Besides, she is the hottest-looking 65 year-old actress working!

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
ambientcafe is offline  
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bazylik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

Bleah. I just created and cancelled an order for the bare bones edition within the space of five minutes because of this.

Ha! Me too, I saw this great price on slickdeals and quickly ordered this movie, as I was reading the thread further I learned that it has only DD soundtrack. I don't think I was ever so fast to cancel an order before. My point finger was on fire from clicking so fast.

PSN: GeminiEffect
Bazylik is offline  
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
badboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Got my Blockbuster rental version in the mail and it's just DD5.1 for audio. Funny, it says "special edition" on the disc. Yeah, it's really special.
badboi is offline  
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM
Senior Member
 
longfellowfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: City of St. Louis, MO
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This sucks. Rental will be dead if this keeps up. Without lossless audio and extras there is no reason to rent a physical copy. I can watch this on demand and get DD 5.1. I am a audio guy and my biggest reason for upgrading is the audio. Rant over
longfellowfan is offline  
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Slaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

Got my Blockbuster rental version in the mail and it's just DD5.1 for audio. Funny, it says "special edition" on the disc. Yeah, it's really special.

And there we have it. Wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not. I can live with a DD 5.1 only soundtrack, but this certainly won't encourage me to buy movies from studios participating in this type of scheme.

Joe Public won't even notice of course, which is a shame because the studios truly deserve some negative PR as a result of these shenanigans.
Slaine is offline  
Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That sucks. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone releases a 720p/5.1 DD only rental version.

I wonder if this rental copy with a lossy soundtrack will still have the obligatory "buy Blu-Ray because the sound is so great!" commercial that joe-schmoe will think doesn't sound any better than DVD (because the version he is watching does not)
mproper is offline  
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Slaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I'm going to try and do an in store swap at BB this weekend and see if the store version contains a lossless track. I'm guessing not, but maybe I'll get lucky.
Slaine is offline  
Old 01-25-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Axel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Posts: 4,691
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellowfan View Post

This sucks. Rental will be dead if this keeps up. Without lossless audio and extras there is no reason to rent a physical copy. I can watch this on demand and get DD 5.1. I am a audio guy and my biggest reason for upgrading is the audio. Rant over

Actually, this is what Netflix seems to want these days: get away from an expensive shipping of physical media to an inexpensive streaming model.

I am perfectly OK when we talk about DVDs, but I am NOT OK with supposedly high quality - PQ and AQ - Blu Rays.
____
Axel

Axel is offline  
Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member
 
sb1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I wonder if this rental copy with a lossy soundtrack will still have the obligatory "buy Blu-Ray because the sound is so great!" commercial that joe-schmoe will think doesn't sound any better than DVD (because the version he is watching does not)

Joe Schmoe probably won't notice a difference either way, regardless of which track is playing.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

sb1 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off