Red - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
vld

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RED is currently listed at Amazon with a January 25th date. As a matter of fact it is listed twice;

RED

RED (Special Edition)

Disc Details:
RED
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Audio: English DTS -HD Master Audio 5.1 / LAS 5.1 Dolby Digital / Bonus: English 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH & LAS Subtitles
* Format: AC-3, Color, Dolby, Subtitled, Widescreen
* Subtitles: English
* Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
* Number of discs: 1
* Rated: PG-13 (Parental Guidance Suggested)
* Studio: Summit Entertainment
* DVD Release Date: January 25, 2011
* Run Time: 111 minutes

RED (Special Edition)
Same Specs as Movie only disc and adds;
* Deleted and Extended Scenes
* Access Red: Immersive 6-part interactive feature including pop up trivia, videos, interviews and more
* CIA Exposed
* Audio Commentary with retired CIA Field Officer Robert Baer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
vld

Now it seems that there is a third version of the movie. Best Buy is listing an exclusive DVD + Blu-Ray combo.

Also, Best Buy is offering free movie admission to Drive Angry when you purchase any of the three versions of RED that Best Buy offers.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Uh, this any good? Cast looks pretty good.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
It was a fun movie that isn't to be taken seriously. For me, it was all about Malkovich.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 AM

Rumour says the barebone edition only has DD 5.1.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by degas View Post
Rumour says the barebone edition only has DD 5.1.
Bleah. I just created and cancelled an order for the bare bones edition within the space of five minutes because of this.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
vld

I call shenanigans on the different audio for the bare bones edition rumor. Just doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
A fellow on Blu-ray.com forum that got the barebones version early has confirmed that it only has a DD 5.1 lossy track. He says he confirmed it by putting in his player, not just by reading the package.

On learning this news, I called Summit Entertainment and spoke with a fellow named Ryan in Home Entertainment. Ryan said he believed the reason the DTS-HD MA soundtrack was left off of the barebones version is because that version is on a BD25 disc. (The Special Edition version is, of course, on a BD50.)

About 90 minutes ago, Amazon lowered their price for the barebones to $12.99 (obviously to match Target's ad). But right now, the barebones version is not available for order on Amazon's site and there's a note that they don't know when they will get it back in stock. "Currently unavailable"

I'm really glad I didn't pre-order the barebones version. I'll wait patiently (weeks, months, year?) for the SE version to drop down to about $17 and then I'll add 'Red' to my collection. Before that, NO SALE!

Mark
Old 01-24-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vläd View Post
I call shenanigans on the different audio for the bare bones edition rumor. Just doesn't make any sense to me.
From what I'm reading, the SE is also a single-disc release. If it were a two-disc release, I'd be calling shenanigans as well because you'd expect to just get disc one of the two-disc set. But if the SE is only one disc, I could see somebody removing the HD audio from bare bones set to provide an incentive to purchase the SE.

If people show up tomorrow and have the bare bones edition with HD audio, I can always just order it again. The $12.99 price on Amazon right now certainly puts it in the "impulse purchase" category for me.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vläd View Post

http://forum.blu-ray.com/4285483-post2205.html

I am waiting for when "budget"/rental editions to only have 720p video because "it wouldn't fit on a BD25."

Michael

Collection: DVD | High-def
Old 01-24-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
vld

This is rather weird, I mean apparently is is a different audio mix according to the details above from Mark booth. But the release announcements from Summit listed the same specs and the only difference would be the extras.

This makes me wonder what audio the Best Buy exclusive will have if it's indeed a flipper disc.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
If it really is DD 5.1 this would have to be the stupidest thing. I have tons of single disk lossless blurays. If so, it drops completely off my impulse buy list as well.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 01-24-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

If it really is DD 5.1 this would have to be the stupidest thing. I have tons of single disk lossless blurays. If so, it drops completely off my impulse buy list as well.

Futureboy over at blu-ray.com has confirmed that the barebones version is DD 5.1 only:

Quote:

I got bare-bones RED this weekend from Amazon (guess they sent it a little early). It is indeed DD 5.1. PQ didn't strike me as the best either -- colors seem a bit faded with not a lot of sharpness. Wonder if other people would agree???

Later he added:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologist
One last question - did you confirm the audio via the packaging or via your Blu Ray Player/ Audio Receiver.

Via the audio receiver.

Mark
Old 01-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Futureboy over at blu-ray.com has confirmed that the barebones version is DD 5.1 only:

Pound to a penny this is the version Netflix, et al, will receive. The cynic in me wonders if this is another attempt by the studios to dissuade customers from renting, rather than buying, their titles. Special features are already gone and now the sound is getting downgraded too.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:55 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post

http://forum.blu-ray.com/4285483-post2205.html

I am waiting for when "budget"/rental editions to only have 720p video because "it wouldn't fit on a BD25."

Warner could make it fit
Old 01-24-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Pound to a penny this is the version Netflix, et al, will receive. The cynic in me wonders if this is another attempt by the studios to dissuade customers from renting, rather than buying, their titles. Special features are already gone and now the sound is getting downgraded too.

I have my copy coming from Netflix tomorrow. I'll be very disappointed if it comes with the lossy soundtrack and will be immediately sending it back.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Old 01-24-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
vld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

(snip)...
About 90 minutes ago, Amazon lowered their price for the barebones to $12.99 (obviously to match Target's ad). But right now, the barebones version is not available for order on Amazon's site and there's a note that they don't know when they will get it back in stock. "Currently unavailable"

Just an FYI, the movie only (bare bones) release is available to order from Amazon here.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Warner could make it fit

Warner could make an elephant fit in a bread box. It would be dead, but it would be in there. Together with at least 50% unused space.

As for making two single disc versions, that's pretty lousy. The logistics of having two versions must already eat into the profits, but the price difference between making a BD-50 and a BD-25 must be lesser than a single-inventory BD-50 and that plus the BD-25 that's been typical of SEs.

So there has to be some shady reason behind it, or there'd be no "movie only" version at all. They'd certainly make more money on the SE whether it was a single disc or two discs, so it seems fair to believe that the "movie only" version is intended as a deterrent, maybe to thwart the rental market, maybe to keep the pricing on BD software artificially inflated. Maybe both.

"Yes, we could make it more reasonably priced, but then we'll have to punish you by sending you back in time to 2006, with lesser picture and sound, and fewer special features."

Or maybe the bean counters at different depertments just aren't communicating, and this could be a perfectly innocent SNAFU.

This fine wine is really good - it tastes like it was bottled yesterday!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

I have my copy coming from Netflix tomorrow. I'll be very disappointed if it comes with the lossy soundtrack and will be immediately sending it back.

Me too. This disappoints me greatly that they would put a lossy track on a rental. What a stupid move if true. I'll know tomorrow...
Old 01-24-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacabeb View Post

Warner could make an elephant fit in a bread box. It would be dead, but it would be in there. Together with at least 50% unused space.

As for making two single disc versions, that's pretty lousy. The logistics of having two versions must already eat into the profits, but the price difference between making a BD-50 and a BD-25 must be lesser than a single-inventory BD-50 and that plus the BD-25 that's been typical of SEs.

So there has to be some shady reason behind it, or there'd be no "movie only" version at all. They'd certainly make more money on the SE whether it was a single disc or two discs, so it seems fair to believe that the "movie only" version is intended as a deterrent, maybe to thwart the rental market, maybe to keep the pricing on BD software artificially inflated. Maybe both.

"Yes, we could make it more reasonably priced, but then we'll have to punish you by sending you back in time to 2006, with lesser picture and sound, and fewer special features."

Or maybe the bean counters at different depertments just aren't communicating, and this could be a perfectly innocent SNAFU.

This figures... not good for those uneducated new to Blu Ray, they will just be seeing it as a Cheap Blu Ray movie and purchase it any way! Everyone has to remember there are a lot of customers that are buying into this new format with cheap players and Black Friday Walmart LCD TV's. I don't think that they will be as interested or worried about having DTS or just DD5.1 mix.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't care for extras and don't want to buy the SE, but now might not get it at all. May as well just rent it at this point.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
"You had me at Dame Helen Mirren" -- she is the sole reason why I'm blind buying this....kudos to her for playing against type and having fun with it

Besides, she is the hottest-looking 65 year-old actress working!

HiDef S c o p e Fanboy-man
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

Bleah. I just created and cancelled an order for the bare bones edition within the space of five minutes because of this.

Ha! Me too, I saw this great price on slickdeals and quickly ordered this movie, as I was reading the thread further I learned that it has only DD soundtrack. I don't think I was ever so fast to cancel an order before. My point finger was on fire from clicking so fast.

PSN: GeminiEffect
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
Got my Blockbuster rental version in the mail and it's just DD5.1 for audio. Funny, it says "special edition" on the disc. Yeah, it's really special.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Liked: 14
This sucks. Rental will be dead if this keeps up. Without lossless audio and extras there is no reason to rent a physical copy. I can watch this on demand and get DD 5.1. I am a audio guy and my biggest reason for upgrading is the audio. Rant over
Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

Got my Blockbuster rental version in the mail and it's just DD5.1 for audio. Funny, it says "special edition" on the disc. Yeah, it's really special.

And there we have it. Wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not. I can live with a DD 5.1 only soundtrack, but this certainly won't encourage me to buy movies from studios participating in this type of scheme.

Joe Public won't even notice of course, which is a shame because the studios truly deserve some negative PR as a result of these shenanigans.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

That sucks. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone releases a 720p/5.1 DD only rental version.

I wonder if this rental copy with a lossy soundtrack will still have the obligatory "buy Blu-Ray because the sound is so great!" commercial that joe-schmoe will think doesn't sound any better than DVD (because the version he is watching does not)
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

I think I'm going to try and do an in store swap at BB this weekend and see if the store version contains a lossless track. I'm guessing not, but maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellowfan View Post

This sucks. Rental will be dead if this keeps up. Without lossless audio and extras there is no reason to rent a physical copy. I can watch this on demand and get DD 5.1. I am a audio guy and my biggest reason for upgrading is the audio. Rant over

Actually, this is what Netflix seems to want these days: get away from an expensive shipping of physical media to an inexpensive streaming model.

I am perfectly OK when we talk about DVDs, but I am NOT OK with supposedly high quality - PQ and AQ - Blu Rays.
____
Axel

Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I wonder if this rental copy with a lossy soundtrack will still have the obligatory "buy Blu-Ray because the sound is so great!" commercial that joe-schmoe will think doesn't sound any better than DVD (because the version he is watching does not)

Joe Schmoe probably won't notice a difference either way, regardless of which track is playing.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.