Out Of Africa comparison *PIX* - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 79 Old 01-07-2011, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
and later, while they are in africa, and the shooting is at dusk or late in the day, there are some shots in africa that look a bit like a blue screen is involved, but I think it it is the enhancment stuff at work again.

for example, while not much of an effect, it is present for a brief moment from Xylon's screen cap:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/ff2cc86f.png

were it not for the fact that she keeps walking right up to the porch, one might think that was a blue screen.....

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 Old 01-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Liked: 14
Megafail!

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
post #33 of 79 Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Was this movie ever released on laserdisc as letterbox? I have only seen the full-screen version and wondered whether it was open matte or P&S.
post #34 of 79 Old 01-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

Was this movie ever released on laserdisc as letterbox? I have only seen the full-screen version and wondered whether it was open matte or P&S.

As I recall, the film was shot with 1.85:1 as matted into widescreen.....the LD is the movie with the matts removed, which is how he knowingly filmed the movie

In the "Interpreter" special features, Pollack talks of why he filmed it and a number of other movies for a non-widescreen or 4:3 ratio was that at the time, it was very popular to take widescreen movies and do a pan and scan for TV, which he said annoyed him greatly as the film would now jump around.

OTOH, with smaller square TVs in the 1960 through 1990 era, a movie in widescreen, was difficult to watch.....indeed, with many movies when I was given the choice between wide screen and pan and scan, I took the pan and scan, as watching a "widescreen" on a 19 inch TV (which was fairly large for that time period) produced an image that was often too small to be really seen and enjoyed.

I only started watching widescreen movies on TV, in the early 1990's when we bought a "big screen" 60 inch. Oddly enough, that screen was still a square and not a rectangle, but at least I could see the images on the widescreen versions better enough to be enjoyed

So he just filmed it such that one could play it as per the LD, without any pan and scan on a full screen TV rather than a widescreen tv.

So in one sense, the widescreen version may arguably not be the director's intent.....

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
post #35 of 79 Old 01-08-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVisone View Post

As I recall, the film was shot with 1.85:1 as matted into widescreen.....the LD is the movie with the matts removed, which is how he knowingly filmed the movie.

Hmmm, I just checked my 4:3 laserdisc against the screen grabs for the rifle scene above: as far as I can tell, whilst the LD has a little more information above and below, part of the background figure to the left is chopped off and the image beyond the RHS of the tallest tree on the right is missing.

Unless I am mistaken, the LD appears to be P&S from the full film frame.

Maybe it varies throughout the film: open matte at some points and P&S in others.

Disappointing as I hoped the LD was all open matte.

According to IMDB, there was a 1.85:1 "Signature Collection" LD released by MCA, but I have never seen one in-the-flesh.
post #36 of 79 Old 01-08-2011, 09:22 PM

My post was based on his comments ( in Interpretator special features) as to why he filmed this and other movies for a period of some 20 years, in the manner as he did, so as to avoid any pan and scan for television media releases.........nevertheless, it would not surprize me that the "studio" decided to pan and scan some scenes and even the whole movie, regardless of his stated intent.

Not the first movie to have the big exes or just some techie, "enhance the movie", even back in the days of VHS tapes and laser discs, and will not be the last as demonstrated by the further "enhancements" in the OOA Blu-ray and many more BDs to come in the future

But we still have an old 36 inch Mitis CRT, standard screen, and the most pleasant way to view this movie is with the LD on it.....even the old DVD on the mitis or any other TV, does not compare as far as just enjoying the movie

post #37 of 79 Old 01-09-2011, 03:29 AM

Oh WOW, what a tragedy
post #38 of 79 Old 02-02-2011, 03:09 AM

cinemax (or max HD) over the verizon fiber optic network is now showing a version that is far better than the blu-ray shown through my oppo 83.

It is one of those "select the movie" channel deals, where previously one had to pay for the movie, but if you subscribe to the premimum movie channels, you can watch a number of movies for free.

Cannot tell the origin, but if it is the "blur-ray" they are using, they somehow managed to get rid of the trash on it, as it was very "watchable" unlike the blu-ray.

I guess it could be the H264, or perhaps they just created their own master, I just do not know.

Indeed, one thing I noticed is that when Karen was shown early in the film, they used something of a soft focus on her face, then towards the end, the soft focus was gone. Done probably to give her an aging effect, I guess.

odd thing is that the Epix channel was showing Dances with Wolves at same time they were showing the same over their regular HD channel. On the select the movie (again free) the quality was far better than their regular HD channel...

The quality was approaching that of the blu-ray DWW, that we just bought, which is just another reason that the plastic disc as a medium, may not be with us all that much longer.

Even more interesting was how the quality of Out of Africa compared to DWW, in terms of the picture, in that it blew away the OOA blu ray, and came closer to being the same as the DWW when showing in the free "select a movie" mode...

Wish I knew what or how to get a copy of what was shown on the Max channel

post #39 of 79 Old 02-02-2011, 06:04 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

My post was based on his comments ( in Interpretator special features) as to why he filmed this and other movies for a period of some 20 years, in the manner as he did, so as to avoid any pan and scan for television media releases.........nevertheless, it would not surprize me that the "studio" decided to pan and scan some scenes and even the whole movie, regardless of his stated intent.

It was meant as the desicion "finalization" of the Chief Executive Officer.
The conclusions came back with negative response.

Quote:

Not the first movie to have the big exes or just some techie, "enhance the movie", even back in the days of VHS tapes and laser discs, and will not be the last as demonstrated by the further "enhancements" in the OOA Blu-ray and many more BDs to come in the future

But we still have an old 36 inch Mitis CRT, standard screen, and the most pleasant way to view this movie is with the LD on it.....even the old DVD on the mitis or any other TV, does not compare as far as just enjoying the movie

It wasn't director approved.
post #40 of 79 Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Wish I knew what or how to get a copy of what was shown on the Max channel

Any way you can get screencaps for comparsion?
post #41 of 79 Old 02-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post

Any way you can get screencaps for comparsion?

I wish I could. It is still available for free if you get the fiber optic

All I can really say is that for whatever reason, over the "select the movie" deal on the Max channel, it was a very watchable and enjoyable movie compared to the blu-ray through my oppo.

Indeed, it might well have been coming from the blu-ray disc and in the process of converting it into 1080i to go over the fiber optic, they might have removed or reduced all the objectionable stuff from the transfer, but that is speculation on my part.

But then through the Oppo, watching the dvd while up-rezzed by the oOppo was also more enjoyable than the blu-ray

post #42 of 79 Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This was the first film I ever saw in HD. It was at a CES or hi fi show in the early 90s. They started the film in SD on a 100"+ screen and then switched to HD, and I remember the difference was underwhelming. Maybe they're using that same transfer. That's got to be the worst looking BD out there.
post #43 of 79 Old 01-06-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Bill Hunt has received confirmation from the studio that a new release is instore for Out of Africa with a new transfer.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #44 of 79 Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Bill Hunt has received confirmation from the studio that a new release is instore for Out of Africa with a new transfer.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Excellent. Is it possible Universal is going to start taking their catalog seriously starting with these 100th Anniversary releases? I guess we'll find out with Out of Africa and Harvey. This makes me even more hopeful of a 20th AE Jurassic Park!

"Universal 100th Anniversary Collector's Series Blu-ray/DVD combo release on 3/6. We've asked the studio whether this is a new transfer or just a re-issue of the existing version, and HAVE CONFIRMED that this is a newly-remastered version that should be far superior to the existing disc. Here's hoping they revisit Kubrick's Spartacus soon as well. Speaking of catalog BDs, the studio has also set The Deer Hunter, The Nutty Professor, Parenthood and Harvey (1950) for Universal 100th Anniversary Blu-ray release on 3/6 as well"
post #45 of 79 Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 AM

So they're possibly doing new telecines again after they burned all their more recent ones in the 2008 warehouse fire? About time... if it's true.

But "new transfer" in Universal lingo tends to mean making a new copy from an old HDCAM or D5 HD tape that's already been tinkered with back in the day. Like what they've done to John Landis' movies. He wanted the grain back... and they put the grain back. Except it was fake, and the sources already DNR:ed beyond repair (you know, "Animatronic House" and "An American Waxwolf in London".)

But if they are actually doing a new telecine of Out of Africa, hopefully this will extend to them fixing some of the other SNAFUs as well. Maybe Universal has finally re-entered the 21st century.

This fine wine is really good - it tastes like it was bottled yesterday!
post #46 of 79 Old 01-08-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
what a disaster
if they worry about poor sales, they need to first look at their transfer
they sure didn't get a dime from me for this
post #47 of 79 Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacabeb View Post

So they're possibly doing new telecines again after they burned all their more recent ones in the 2008 warehouse fire? About time... if it's true.

But "new transfer" in Universal lingo tends to mean making a new copy from an old HDCAM or D5 HD tape that's already been tinkered with back in the day. Like what they've done to John Landis' movies. He wanted the grain back... and they put the grain back. Except it was fake, and the sources already DNR:ed beyond repair (you know, "Animatronic House" and "An American Waxwolf in London".)

But if they are actually doing a new telecine of Out of Africa, hopefully this will extend to them fixing some of the other SNAFUs as well. Maybe Universal has finally re-entered the 21st century.

The American Waxwolf is the most frightening creature to have ever roamed planet Earth. And we have Universal to thank for genetically engineering it into existence.

post #48 of 79 Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Should be interesting to see captures from the new disc that's coming out. What I've seen on the bluray.com forums looks very promising - similar to the improvement seen in Gangs of New York.

You can find a preview here.
post #49 of 79 Old 02-24-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

Should be interesting to see captures from the new disc that's coming out. What I've seen on the bluray.com forums looks very promising - similar to the improvement seen in Gangs of New York.

You can find a preview here.

Thanks for the link! Even with those low-res shots, it's a clear improvement. The halos are gone, detail is better, and the colors look much less green... I'm looking forward to a real 1080p comparison.

That post isn't set up very well, but if you right-click on the image properties, they are labeled "old" and "new" just in case you get confused about which is which.
post #50 of 79 Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Thanks for the link! Even with those low-res shots, it's a clear improvement. The halos are gone, detail is better, and the colors look much less green.

I was very disappointed in the original DVD as the aspect ratio seemed off somehow, with circles appearing more as vertically elongated ovals. I passed on the Bluray because of the poor quality.

Hopefully the 100th Anniversary release is the one that rectifies all the issues, as it looks much more natural in the 2nd version of each pic from that link, but at $34.99 pre-order from Amazon, they have to be joking.
post #51 of 79 Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 PM

Liked: 14
I can tell the transfer is 5/5 even with the downrez. Which is an amazing feat for Universal. But charging $35 for a second edition is not very nice to all the people who bought the first one when they should have done it right the first time. Even when Universal succeeds, they fail.

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
post #52 of 79 Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzRoy View Post

I can tell the transfer is 5/5 even with the downrez. Which is an amazing feat for Universal. But charging $35 for a second edition is not very nice to all the people who bought the first one when they should have done it right the first time. Even when Universal succeeds, they fail.

They've tried to be sneaky by providing a book and digital copy in the package to justify the much greater cost: both gimmicky items that would be barely worth $5 extra, I could do without.

I wonder if one purchased the previous Bluray+DVD version, whether a replacement Bluray disc only could be requested due to the poor quality.
post #53 of 79 Old 02-28-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Universal definitely did this one justice...I just received my review copy and it looks the way the first release should have. Gorgeous.

Of course, they ought to offer this pressing as a replacement for owners of the first Blu-Ray, as they did the corrected credit/DTS MA pressing of HALLOWEEN II.
post #54 of 79 Old 03-06-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Review+caps of the remastered disc: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Out-of.../36394/#Review
post #55 of 79 Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Review+caps of the remastered disc: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Out-of.../36394/#Review

MUCH IMPROVED!!! Glad to see this get a re-master!!! Uni should let us trade in!
post #56 of 79 Old 03-06-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

post #57 of 79 Old 03-06-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope this title falls in price soon after release, but I notice that the SE of "300", which is somewhat reminiscent of this title's presentation, remained at a high price for quite some time and is still relatively expensive.
post #58 of 79 Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Much better. Hard to believe that's a Universal disc.
post #59 of 79 Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The unnecessary EE at times is annoying. They had a chance to do it all right and still failed.
post #60 of 79 Old 03-07-2012, 07:12 AM

Liked: 11

Original version without watermark captured by me...
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page