Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 79 Old 03-07-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The retail price is a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 03-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

The retail price is a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, somebody's dreamin' if they think this edition at the current price is gonna do anything else except gather dust on store shelves.
post #63 of 79 Old 03-09-2012, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post

Yep, somebody's dreamin' if they think this edition at the current price is gonna do anything else except gather dust on store shelves.

Somebody must have heard us: Amazon's price has just dropped $10 to $24.99

Although it is still more than I would like to spend, I managed to add it to an existing pre-order to save on postage as I would like to see this movie: maybe it will drop further in price before it is shipped.

300 (The Complete Experience) has some similarities to this version of "Out Of Africa" and that hasn't dropped below $19 in the almost 3 years since it was released.
post #64 of 79 Old 03-09-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This was a very grainy movie but you still wouldn't know it by watching the re-release that looks too clean with some EE added on top. Here's a hint: Keep more of the grain and you won't have to add fake detail by excessive and/or primitive sharpening. I have a feeling I will not buy anything from Universal for a very long time as even their better efforts with catalog titles are disappointing.
post #65 of 79 Old 03-09-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs View Post

This was a very grainy movie but you still wouldn't know it by watching the re-release that looks too clean with some EE added on top. Here's a hint: Keep more of the grain and you won't have to add fake detail by excessive and/or primitive sharpening. I have a feeling I will not buy anything from Universal for a very long time as even their better efforts with catalog titles are disappointing.

I find it ironic that the best they've done was on a film over eighty years old. Regretably, the supplemental disc of AQOTWF contains a section that explains their questionable restoration philosophy. What they're doing isn't because they're completely clueless, they honestly think its a positive.
post #66 of 79 Old 03-09-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

I find it ironic that the best they've done was on a film over eighty years old. Regretably, the supplemental disc of AQOTWF contains a section that explains their questionable restoration philosophy. What they're doing isn't because they're completely clueless, they honestly think its a positive.

AQOTWF also looks rather fishy, I would say that whatever their philosophy is it is wrong. They should get with the program and have a look at what other studios are accomplishing with their classics and catalog as imo their output is pathetic in both quality and quantity. Although I guess we could be happy that quantity is what it is as I would not like for more titles to be released with this kind of overprocessing no matter how subtle they think it is.
post #67 of 79 Old 03-09-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 247
The grain still seems a little funky in Out Of Africa but without seeing it in motion it's hard to say exactly how its looking. As for EE, I'm seeing a lot of chromatic aberration from the lenses in some of those br.com shots, and proper EE in others.

Doesn't look perfect, but oh, if only we could get Universal's other catalogue abominations looking as good that!!
post #68 of 79 Old 03-11-2012, 03:18 PM

Liked: 10
Well, it is not everything it could be, for sure, but compared to the older BR, it is an incredibly dramactic improvement.

As the movie should have been released originally.

I recommend it highly, esp for those nights you want to get romantic with a girl.....

Just hope they are not still shipping the old one by mistake, hook or crook......

Guess I will have to change the signature now.....

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #69 of 79 Old 03-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Universal is now offering an exchange program to replace the earlier version of Out of Africa with the new remastered release. See this post for details:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...Exchange_/9123

I sent in a request to USHE.ConsumerRelations@bydeluxe.com and have received an authorizing e-mail response back in less than 24 hours.
post #70 of 79 Old 03-31-2012, 04:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'll keep the DVD the snow at least it looks white like nature made it to be!

I guess this is why its called Bluray they turn perfection into total crap. I have never ever in my life seen snow that is blue.

Universal have some answering and someone needs to be fired from the company.

I'd like to know the names of the video engineers who did the DVD its not half bad expect for the EE. But who are the shameful idiots that did the HD and Bluray. I mean don't we all what to know, after all its we who are paying for these bluray lemons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

Somebody must have heard us: Amazon's price has just dropped $10 to $24.99

Although it is still more than I would like to spend, I managed to add it to an existing pre-order to save on postage as I would like to see this movie: maybe it will drop further in price before it is shipped.

300 (The Complete Experience) has some similarities to this version of "Out Of Africa" and that hasn't dropped below $19 in the almost 3 years since it was released.

LOL I wouldn't bother shoplifting it, never mind paying paying for it. Its not what I call fair trading of a product more like, daylight robbery.

Stores like HMV if you were to take the CrapRay back demand your money back yes, refund! They will not, They would let you buy some CD DVD another sigh bluray or Justin Bieber t-shirt, but won’t give your money back so you can at least spend it elsewhere on say food for the week!
post #71 of 79 Old 03-31-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat-222ASR View Post

I'll keep the DVD the snow at least it looks white like nature made it to be!

I guess this is why its called Bluray they turn perfection into total crap. I have never ever in my life seen snow that is blue.

The snow should look like however the original film intended it to be, be that white or blue. Nature doesn't have anything to do with it.
post #72 of 79 Old 03-31-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

Snow isn't white. Your eyes automatically white-balance what they see. Film doesn't. I don't know what the snow is supposed to look like in this film, but what it looks like in real life has nothing to do with it.
post #73 of 79 Old 03-31-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraMajor View Post

The snow should look like however the original film intended it to be, be that white or blue. Nature doesn't have anything to do with it.

Yeah right.
post #74 of 79 Old 03-31-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Snow isn't white. Your eyes automatically white-balance what they see. Film doesn't. I don't know what the snow is supposed to look like in this film, but what it looks like in real life has nothing to do with it.

Yeah right sure. You need to get more when it snows.
post #75 of 79 Old 03-31-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

Which would tell me what, exactly, about how the Out of Africa prints are supposed to look?

Never a shortage of nitwits on the internet, it seems.
post #76 of 79 Old 03-31-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 533
It could be that they used a modern color timing rather than the original timing. Most modern films have a teal-ish/orange push along with a blown out/contrasty look that I'm really growing weary of.

If the bluish hue is what Sidney Pollack envisioned, it could be conveying a more dusky or evening setting for the scene. Sometimes they would shoot day-for-night this way and then filter it in post.

Hard to say without some information from a film expert familiar with "Out of Africa."

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #77 of 79 Old 10-13-2012, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
post #78 of 79 Old 10-13-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat-222ASR View Post

No, really, snow isn't white. It only appears white to us because of the prismatic affects of ice crystals and our brain's natural tendency to want to find white in what we see.

Snow can vary in what wavelengths it allows to reflect back, but it's usually blueish. The denser the crystals, the more blue it will appear, which is why glaciers look blue to our eyes.

It's why you should never, ever white balance a video camera off it: skin tones will end up reddish, with a slightly orange push.

Likewise, HID lighting, which appears blue, isn't blue at all. It appears that way because there is no red or yellow coloring. In other words, the light is so white, it appears blue, unlike regular headlight bulbs that have a lot of the red and yellow in them. Obviously, there are fake HIDs that are just blue tinted standard halogen bulbs. Those really are filtered blue.
post #79 of 79 Old 10-18-2012, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

please
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page