The Lord Of The Rings Extended - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4591 of 5576 Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
To bad the combo of the shire at the end of RotK and the shire in the hobbit trailer match that of the original color grading.

Now there is no option other than a travesty of a mistake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 5576 Old 12-22-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Nah, wait until the EE Blu-ray of The Hobbit is released, then it'll have the proper green tint.

post #4593 of 5576 Old 12-27-2011, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Remember guys, The Hobbit is still a year away from release, so I don't think they have finished colour grading it yet (maybe haven't even started?).
post #4594 of 5576 Old 12-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineLove View Post

I agree, but Mr. Holm is a bit too old to play Bilbo at his age in The Hobbit. I know he lived to be eleventy-one, but this is 60 years before LOTR.

Too much makeup/CG would ruin the look of the character.

But in LOTR Gandalf mentions to Bilbo that he hasn't "aged a day" since the last time he saw him (because of the ring) so Bilbo should look the same in the Hobbit as he does in LOTR.
post #4595 of 5576 Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2060 View Post

But in LOTR Gandalf mentions to Bilbo that he hasn't "aged a day" since the last time he saw him (because of the ring) so Bilbo should look the same in the Hobbit as he does in LOTR.

The timeline for the cinema trilogy is a bit fuzzy since they give no actual dates and have obviously compressed LOTR into a significantly shorter period of time, but in the books, everything (Hobbit and LOTR) happens over the span of many decades.
post #4596 of 5576 Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Remember guys, The Hobbit is still a year away from release, so I don't think they have finished colour grading it yet (maybe haven't even started?).

Stop trying to bring reasonable and rational arguments into this thread.
post #4597 of 5576 Old 12-27-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Stop trying to bring a reasonable and rational arguments into this thread.

LOL, so true.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #4598 of 5576 Old 12-28-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:

You forget that it is twelve years since most of the scenes with Ian Holm was filmed. Even if Bilbo didn't age so much (he did in the last LOTR), Ian Holm has aged. He is now about 80 years old.

Add that, a big budget film where Bilbo probably has as much screen time as Frodo did in LOTR, it would really be quite "hazardous" to bet on the health of an 80 year old to be able to complete such a rigorous shooting schedule in a film that is really "all about Bilbo".

Ian Holm as Bilbo in The Hobbit.
post #4599 of 5576 Old 12-29-2011, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

You forget that it is twelve years since most of the scenes with Ian Holm was filmed. Even if Bilbo didn't age so much (he did in the last LOTR), Ian Holm has aged. He is now about 80 years old.

Add that, a big budget film where Bilbo probably has as much screen time as Frodo did in LOTR, it would really be quite "hazardous" to bet on the health of an 80 year old to be able to complete such a rigorous shooting schedule in a film that is really "all about Bilbo".

Ian Holm as Bilbo in The Hobbit.

I know that is from the trailer, but is it actually from The Hobbit or was it taken from LOTR?
post #4600 of 5576 Old 12-29-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:

I know that is from the trailer, but is it actually from The Hobbit or was it taken from LOTR?

This is from The Hobbit. Nothing in The Hobbit trailer are from LOTR.
post #4601 of 5576 Old 01-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Liked: 11
I've noticed the extended blu-ray sets are selling for only $50.

Is there a reason for this? A "fixed" edition on the way?

Moderators, please don't move this question as the question pertains to the set itself and not the cost.
post #4602 of 5576 Old 01-02-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

What, are you kidding? Ian Holm looks so much older than his LOTR appearance it's not even funny, not least because of when his role in The Hobbit is supposed to be set.
post #4603 of 5576 Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Felt as though I needed to add my two cents to the discussion:

I asked my wife for the box set as a Christmas gift and she came through for me (and only paid 50 bucks in the process). I was stoked UNTIL I began to read this thread the next day and then I started to worry because there are very few things that I pay attention to more in films than color issues. You can give me a soft picture, too much EE, too dark, etc and I won't care, but I gotta have decent color reproduction. Given everyone's description of the problem, I thought that FOTR was going to look like The Matrix, with its consistent (albeit intentional) green tint.

But I got home from my in-laws, fired up my Mitsubishi HC4000 projector (known for its out-of-the-box accuracy) and took the shrink wrap off the discs. And you know what? I didn't see any of it. No green tint and no overdone blacks. I did as many have suggested and immediately stuck in TTT to compare and it appeared to have an identical palette from what I could see. I even played the scene on the bridge that is repeated from FOTR in TTT back to back and they appeared as close as I can imagine. I'm not saying there's not a green shift happening, but I am saying that it's as much of a non-issue as it can be. Video and audio quality across all the discs is superb. ROTK has never sounded so good - what I used to consider a 'lifeless' soundtrack is now demo quality. If you're waiting for the "Ultimate Edition", all I can say is that it's here, IMHO. The only thing that's missing is an isolated music soundtrack track, but I've long since stopped hoping for that - no one does them anymore for some reason.
post #4604 of 5576 Old 01-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMaugans View Post

But I got home from my in-laws, fired up my Mitsubishi HC4000 projector (known for its out-of-the-box accuracy)

That doesn't mean it's accurate. Even a Meridian projector which costs $220 000, and is individually calibrated over 4 days in a specialized lab, still needs to be calibrated for a specific in-home viewing environment before its picture can be called accurate. So just imagine how far your Mitsubishi is from a reference picture.
post #4605 of 5576 Old 01-03-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

The only thing that's missing is an isolated music soundtrack track, but I've long since stopped hoping for that - no one does them anymore for some reason.

Alien Anthology actually has them. But you're right, it's becoming increasingly rare, and it would actually be really cool for this series.

As for the color issue, I'll need to see fresh screencaps for comparison before I buy into this. I still think that, if it happens, it's going to happen quietly, simply start slipping them into stores with none the wiser.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #4606 of 5576 Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

[i]it would actually be really cool for this series.

I agree.
It's hard to imagine a better soundtrack than Howard Shore's LOTR.
One of the very few I own on CD.

post #4607 of 5576 Old 01-04-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Alien Anthology actually has them. But you're right, it's becoming increasingly rare, and it would actually be really cool for this series.

Bernard Hermann's terrific score for MYSTERIOUS ISLAND is also an isolated track on the Blu-Ray disc.

post #4608 of 5576 Old 01-04-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamesJay View Post

I've noticed the extended blu-ray sets are selling for only $50.

Is there a reason for this? A "fixed" edition on the way?

Moderators, please don't move this question as the question pertains to the set itself and not the cost.

I believe this was a rushed out the door release to quiet the fans.

There are a number of "fixes" that Peter Jackson has stated he wanted to make to mesh the Tolkien works together (Gollum's early CGI work being re-done to correspond to his appearance in The Hobbit, Bilbo not looking like the actor playing in the new movie during the flashback scene, more LOTR footage, etc.) and I'd bet there will be a more polished version of LOTR coming out to coincide with The Hobbit on home video in 2013.

If even the white burned-in text in Fellowship is now green, it looks like they just slapped on a new color timing palette without fine tuning it or having it supervised by the DP.

I would sit back and wait this one out, and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4609 of 5576 Old 01-04-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I believe this was a rushed out the door release to quiet the fans.

There are a number of "fixes" that Peter Jackson has stated he wanted to make to mesh the Tolkien works together (Gollum's early CGI work being re-done to correspond to his appearance in The Hobbit, Bilbo not looking like the actor playing in the new movie during the flashback scene, more LOTR footage, etc.) and I'd bet there will be a more polished version of LOTR coming out to coincide with The Hobbit on home video in 2013.

If even the white burned-in text in Fellowship is now green, it looks like they just slapped on a new color timing palette without fine tuning it or having it supervised by the DP.

I would sit back and wait this one out, and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Wait a couple of years in the hope a new improved version comes out, instead of spending $50 for the box set today? Hell, I could be dead by then. Santa gave me the box set and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it over the holidays despite it's flaws. I even pretended to be disturbed by the green tint even though it went virtually unnoticed.

I'll get my $50 worth by the time any new set is released. I spent north of $50 for my family to spend 2 hours at the theater to see Hugo a couple of weeks ago.
post #4610 of 5576 Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I agree.
It's hard to imagine a better soundtrack than Howard Shore's LOTR.
One of the very few I own on CD.

You can get (and I have) all 3 soundtracks individually as the complete recordings sets that are multiple CD sets plus a DVD-A with everything on that as well.

They're fairly 'spensive, though, and to prevent reducing their already low volume sales is no doubt why the BDs don't have the option.

Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Fel...5733918&sr=1-4
post #4611 of 5576 Old 01-04-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post

You can get (and I have) all 3 soundtracks individually as the complete recordings sets that are multiple CD sets plus a DVD-A with everything on that as well.

They're fairly 'spensive, though, and to prevent reducing their already low volume sales is no doubt why the BDs don't have the option.

Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Fel...5733918&sr=1-4

Is the DVD-A the complete trilogy soundtrack?
How does it compare?
I have the CDs, but a hi-rez recording would be great.

post #4612 of 5576 Old 01-05-2012, 01:40 AM

Each of the 3 movies has a complete recording set with a DVD-A in it. So it is one DVD-A per movie. Sound quality in multichannel is very fine, a bit on the reverberant side and bass heavy, but it fits.
post #4613 of 5576 Old 01-06-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanser View Post

Each of the 3 movies has a complete recording set with a DVD-A in it. So it is one DVD-A per movie. Sound quality in multichannel is very fine, a bit on the reverberant side and bass heavy, but it fits.

Thank you, sir.

I watched the EE of FOTR last night...what a soundtrack!!!

post #4614 of 5576 Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I'm reading comments on Amazon of people claiming to own both an earlier and a more recent release of the Blu Ray EE box set. They are claiming that the new FOTR no longer has the green tint/darkness. Any chance they fixed it?
post #4615 of 5576 Old 01-06-2012, 11:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

I'm reading comments on Amazon of people claiming to own both an earlier and a more recent release of the Blu Ray EE box set. They are claiming that the new FOTR no longer has the green tint/darkness.

AFAIK, it hasn't been confirmed.
BUT, if it is true....I want an exchange.

post #4616 of 5576 Old 01-07-2012, 01:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

I'm reading comments on Amazon of people claiming to own both an earlier and a more recent release of the Blu Ray EE box set. They are claiming that the new FOTR no longer has the green tint/darkness. Any chance they fixed it?

Seems odd to me. They know enough to know about such a niche issue but they post the information at Amazon and at none of the forums where this information first came to light and is still being discussed? I'll believe it when someone here with both sets post actual captures comparing the two. I can't tell you how many comments I've read on other forums from people who just bought set the saying "Just picked it up and I didn't see ANY green tint! Looks like they fixed it!"

Do you have links to these Amazon comments?

I looked through the Amazon reviews from newest to oldest and I couldn't find any posts about the fixed grading from someone who owns an earlier EE BD release and a new BD EE release. The two newest posts I could find was one from a day or two ago from someone who bought it and said something like "I didn't notice any green tint. Those that did must be having issues with their BD players" (obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.) The other newest post I could find about it was from 6 days ago. It was a 1 star review complaining about the heavy green tint (this guy didn't buy it though. He was just complaining about it and saying that's the reason he's holding off.) You might have misread the first one - he mentions having two discs of Fellowship but he was talking about Disc 1 and Disc 2 from the same package (since each film is spread out over 2 discs,) not an older disc and a newer disc. Is this what you're talking about or are there other reviews I missed?
post #4617 of 5576 Old 01-07-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky-Dinkins View Post

Seems odd to me. They know enough to know about such a niche issue but they post the information at Amazon and at none of the forums where this information first came to light and is still being discussed? I'll believe it when someone here with both sets post actual captures comparing the two. I can't tell you how many comments I've read on other forums from people who just bought set the saying "Just picked it up and I didn't see ANY green tint! Looks like they fixed it!"

I'm one of those that just recently purchased the set and don't see any of the green tint issues. If there's anyone in the metro Atlanta area with the old set that does see them, I'd be glad to meet up and compare the two.
post #4618 of 5576 Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm one of those that just recently purchased the set and don't see any of the green tint issues. If there's anyone in the metro Atlanta area with the old set that does see them, I'd be glad to meet up and compare the two.

Anyone in Minneapolis that has a new set, I will compare my old set with you.
post #4619 of 5576 Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
is there a date stamp anywhere on the package or disc to know if you have a new set or an old set?
post #4620 of 5576 Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post

is there a date stamp anywhere on the package or disc to know if you have a new set or an old set?

Not that I can find. There was the paper "sleeve" that was wrapped around the box under the shrinkwrap with the package contents printed on it that I think I may have already tossed in the trash though - that may have had something on it.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page