The Lord Of The Rings Extended - Page 156 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4651 of 5590 Old 01-08-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 89
the guys here stating that there is no change are no more right then the guy who does notice a change...would like to see some comparison shots...don't be so quick to downplay someone else's findings unless you know for sure that he is wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 5590 Old 01-08-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

+1..........but where is the proof? We need some comparison shots IF this is true.

Agreed.

It seems to me, if the past is any indicater, there would be a different bar code or something on the box to distinguish it from the others.
IIRC, this has been done with other releases in the past.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #4653 of 5590 Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
At the very least, I would think there would be different letters/numbers engraved on the data side of the disc itself.
post #4654 of 5590 Old 01-08-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

the guys here stating that there is no change are no more right then the guy who does notice a change...would like to see some comparison shots...don't be so quick to downplay someone else's findings unless you know for sure that he is wrong

I think common sense tells us that the Amazon reviewer is wrong.

First, his comments about all this were posted over a month ago. In all that time since then, he's apparently the only person who's received a copy that's been fixed. Seems a little strange, doesn't it? I mean, I'm pretty sure more than a few copies of the EE set were sold during the month of December. Some were even sold to posters right here, all of whom say that their sets still have the green-tinted FoTR.

On top of that, he apparently watched a "super extra special extended director's cut" of the films that were even longer than the regular EE cuts on Starz Encore, a premium cable network that tons of people get. Amazing how these extended-extended editions went completely unnoticed by all the superfans of the films, isn't it? These same people who notice a minor 2 or 3 word change in a paragraph on the official LOTR website didn't catch that new extended versions of the films were played during a publicized marathon on Starz Encore.

But yeah, you're right. We should give him the benefit of the doubt...
post #4655 of 5590 Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Agreed.

It seems to me, if the past is any indicator, there would be a different bar code or something on the box to distinguish it from the others.

Agreed. We should be on the lookout for a different UPC.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #4656 of 5590 Old 01-08-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

I'm referring to the snow and the "second breakfast" scene. Even without the green tint, they look significantly different from the theatrical release.

Hi Jedi2016,

The reason I wanted to see shots of those two scenes was not to compare to the TE, but to each other (tinted vs non-tinted). I realize that they are significantly different from the TE anyway, and would therefore be poor choices for a so-called "smoking gun." I was more interested in how the respective scene would look with vs without the green tint (and therefore determine if I had a *fixed* copy.) But, judging from my credits, and the "Frodo fade," the tint is definitely still there... Sorry if I gave the impression that I wanted those shots in spite of your objections (which are well taken, by the way )

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #4657 of 5590 Old 01-08-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem. I didn't mean to come across all "DON'T DO THAT".. hehe.

I actually have some pictures that I put together a while ago, I think they might be earlier in the thread, where I created "TE with green" and "EE without green" variants of Second Breakfast. If you take the green away, it has a pretty strong blue tint, I think it was meant to take place in the early morning.

But yes, I agree that the green tint is definitely still there in that copy. I think what we're seeing from the "it's not there anymore" crowd are people that don't really notice it in the first place.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #4658 of 5590 Old 01-09-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
I watched FotR two nights ago for an official LOTR's party. No one complained, and I the SLIGHT green tint did not detract me from the great film that it is. Could it be better? Yes....Am I happy that I bought this set? YES!

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #4659 of 5590 Old 01-09-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 View Post

On top of that, he apparently watched a "super extra special extended director's cut" of the films that were even longer than the regular EE cuts on Starz Encore, a premium cable network that tons of people get. Amazing how these extended-extended editions went completely unnoticed by all the superfans of the films, isn't it? These same people who notice a minor 2 or 3 word change in a paragraph on the official LOTR website didn't catch that new extended versions of the films were played during a publicized marathon on Starz Encore.

Yep, there's that too.

In reply to TitusTroy, it's one thing to rubbish someone's thoughts when they're presenting a reasoned & sensible opinion, but the moment I read those amazon comments my bull****-O-meter went off the scale. As I said, I don't think matey's got a goddamned clue what he's talking about. Either that or he's trolling, and I can't believe that so many seasoned keyboard warriors are falling for it.
post #4660 of 5590 Old 01-09-2012, 03:48 PM

I would also like to see confirmation that a corrected disc for Fellowship is being included in the trilogy. If so, I would like to replace mine right away. As a matter of fact, because I love the movie so much, it has sat in its case ever since I bought it because I could not enjoy the movie with all its green tint and black crush. What's that you say? No green tint? My settings are off or I don't have a good television? Please see the proof below and consider a visit to an eye doctor...

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=Vwcm-73kZE8

With that out of the way, I am also upset with the studio if they are sneaking a corrected disc in to avoid a replacement program. That is an awful thing to do and I think that our community should pressure them to offer us replacements. If we can provide them with proof, I think that would be a strong basis for a class-action lawsuit, which could all be avoided if they just play ball, admit their mistake, and take care of us who bought from the first pressing.
post #4661 of 5590 Old 01-10-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, I just went out and bought a new copy at Best Buy to compare against my release day copy. I played them side by side on two different monitors using two different players and the new copy has no green push. However, now that LOTR is fixed, TTT and ROTK are both completely orange and teal... and DNRed. They are also 3 minutes longer, weird huh? My computer suddenly broke too, so I can't post screenshots or videos to prove it, sorry. Just take me at my word. Cool.

post #4662 of 5590 Old 01-10-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

Hey guys, I just went out and bought a new copy at Best Buy to compare against my release day copy. I played them side by side on two different monitors using two different players and the new copy has no green push. However, now that LOTR is fixed, TTT and ROTK are both completely orange and teal... and DNRed. They are also 3 minutes longer, weird huh? My computer suddenly broke too, so I can't post screenshots or videos to prove it, sorry. Just take me at my word. Cool.

nice....

Terrence

post #4663 of 5590 Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Sorry I got people's hopes up. I relinquish my keyboard warrior license in shame.
post #4664 of 5590 Old 01-10-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Sorry I got people's hopes up. I relinquish my keyboard warrior license in shame.

Don't say that! I thank you for doing the legwork and finding/reposting those posts. Unfortunately, there are a number of holes in what that guy wrote, but that's not your fault.
post #4665 of 5590 Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How do you identify new vs old copies ?
post #4666 of 5590 Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

How do you identify new vs old copies ?

You don't; they're all the same.

I don't feel special...
post #4667 of 5590 Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

You don't; they're all the same.

So quickly have our hopes been dashed across the cruel rocks of reality, our visage downcast amongst a sea of green and black crush.
post #4668 of 5590 Old 01-11-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So quickly have our hopes been dashed across the cruel rocks of reality, our visage downcast amongst a sea of green and black crush.

But at least we now see clearly rather through a DNR filter dimly.
post #4669 of 5590 Old 01-11-2012, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

But at least we now see clearly rather through a DNR filter dimly.

not sure which is worse.

still can't believe they couldn't get either of their bd releases right.

neflixis our nemesis
post #4670 of 5590 Old 01-11-2012, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

not sure which is worse.

still can't believe they couldn't get either of their bd releases right.

Especially when you consider that this hasn't happened ONCE to any of their Harry Potter releases and re-releases. Nope, quite the opposite: the kids get to see all that mediocre, uninspired film-making in reference quality glory.
post #4671 of 5590 Old 01-11-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebEffect View Post

Especially when you consider that this hasn't happened ONCE to any of their Harry Potter releases and re-releases. Nope, quite the opposite: the kids get to see all that mediocre, uninspired film-making in reference quality glory.

You lost me at mediocre. I love Lord of the Rings, but I also love Harry Potter. And the first few films could use a remaster.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #4672 of 5590 Old 01-12-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Goblet of Fire looks like ****, it's one of the worst encodes I've ever seen, and as said by Big Brad, a remaster wouldn't hurt the first few HP films. So much for "reference quality glory".
post #4673 of 5590 Old 01-12-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Who the hell do they hire at these companies to do the encoding/remastering?
post #4674 of 5590 Old 01-12-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who the hell do they hire at these companies to do the encoding/remastering?

kids....sometimes the teenies/early 20ies....same thing was done for the star wars prequels on DVD....

Terrence

post #4675 of 5590 Old 01-14-2012, 12:43 PM

Liked: 12
I know this info is somewhere but probably easier to ask.

I like the 3 movies but not a diehard fan to watch the EE.

Is the picture and sound on the theatrical versions the same? I am mostly concerned about the sound. Are the PQ of the theatrical versions any good?

post #4676 of 5590 Old 01-14-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLocal175 View Post

I know this info is somewhere but probably easier to ask.

I like the 3 movies but not a diehard fan to watch the EE.

Is the picture and sound on the theatrical versions the same? I am mostly concerned about the sound. Are the PQ of the theatrical versions any good?

Theatrical and EE versions of TTT and ROTK are about the same - quality wise. The large disparity is with FOTR - the theatrical version is a blurry mess of noise reduction while the EE has a slight green shift and some questionable black crush. Choose your punishment.
post #4677 of 5590 Old 01-15-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:

...the EE has a slight green shift and some questionable black crush...

I think the above pretty much sums up the problems with the EE FOTR - slight green shift, questionable black crush. I got mine last month and have compared it with the DVD and on my display there just isn't a huge difference. I do see some green & blue and a little more darkness in the BD in places but nothing like you'd expect from some of the comments and screenshots posted. Those screenshots look downright Oz-green but I see only a mild greenish (actually more bluish) cast. And I see about the same detail in dark scenes like in Moria. But what's minor to one person can be major to another.
post #4678 of 5590 Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I just purchased the new version from my local Best Buy. It had a special slip cover on it saying something about improved colors thanks to customer feedback. I don't see any of the issues everyone is complaining about. Here is a screenshot. Sorry, it is in highly compressed JPG format and downscaled, but you should get the idea about the improved colors and black levels, etc.

http://i39.tinypic.com/9tdahe.jpg
post #4679 of 5590 Old 01-16-2012, 12:28 PM

^^^haha, I fell for it just for a sec
post #4680 of 5590 Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Looks pretty darn green to me.

I still have the gut feeling that Jackson and the DP did not personally oversee the new 2k color timing for Fellowship and the telecine artist went overboard with their tweaking and botched it.

Too bad they can't go back to the original film elements and do a proper 6k scan with a 4k timing or something like that.

If real 4k Blu-ray ever comes around, LOTR will forever be stuck at 2k resolutions.

Yes, The Hobbit, given the trailers, looks "otherworldly," but somehow the color timing seems polished and looks great. Not like Fellowship EE on Blu.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page