post #451 of 5576 Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

While I can't disclose who this is, a certain company with a store here in TX did most of their business by mail order. Particularly in one other state. So, they decided to open a second store in that state. They ended up shutting down the second store because they lost more mail order business in that state than the second store was generating in sales.

Back before the internet, there was mail order catalogs with toll-free numbers. I had done a lot of buying from The Sharper Image until one order came with sales tax applied. They had put a store in PA and therefore had a "nexus." That was the last time I bought from TSI.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5576 Old 03-24-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
I also feel the films were color graded a bit too much, resulting in somewhat of a loss of a true organic look and feel. A lighter touch in this regard would be much more effective, IMO.
Part of the reason they went with a DI is because of the unreliable NZ weather. They didn't grade the hell out of everything just because they wanted to, but it enabled them to keep shooting in certain conditions with the knowledge that they could match it all up later.
post #453 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got an email from amazon about my pre-order for the trilogy set. says the estimated delivery date is 6/28/11.

While I'm looking forward to getting this set on blu, I can honestly say I probably won't open it until september at the soonest. I can't justify sitting for hours in a dark room during the summer. But then I am in WI, so there's no guarantee we get a summer...
post #454 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fx4dude View Post

I got an email from amazon about my pre-order for the trilogy set. says the estimated delivery date is 6/28/11.

While I'm looking forward to getting this set on blu, I can honestly say I probably won't open it until september at the soonest. I can't justify sitting for hours in a dark room during the summer. But then I am in WI, so there's no guarantee we get a summer...

Winter over here so looking forward to it.

Frank

post #455 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

2 Disks.. Nooooooo!!!!!

Genius is an insult to my intelligence!

post #456 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho View Post

2 Disks.. Nooooooo!!!!!

If they can get the longer "The Ten Commandments" on one disc and make it look as great as it does, there's no reason to split any of these onto multiple discs. Thank God I will simply be backing up all these as ISOs to my server, so I won't have to be bothered changing discs.

EDIT: I'm an idiot.
post #457 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
At slickdeals where the wbshop sale was posted (25% and 20% off deals have expired), there are many who complained about having to swap the disc for Extended Edition movie. Reality is if WB chooses to release Ext Ed on single disc per movie, there will also be complains.

What WB should do is when they are ready to release the Ext Ed trilogy as individual movies, they should use a lower bitrate to compress the movies tighter to single disc per movie, and also keep the 2-disc per movie trilogy in the market. That way, those who don't want to swap disc during the movie can choose to buy the single-disc movie with lower quality. With individual movie usually sells for higher price than the cost per movie in the trilogy set, that should cover the cost of re-authoring the movie to single-disc. But will WB willing to put extra efforts in trying to satisfying different types of buyers?
post #458 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

If they can get the longer "The Ten Commandments" on one disc and make it look as great as it does, there's no reason to split any of these onto multiple discs. Thank God I will simply be backing up all these as ISOs to my server, so I won't have to be bothered changing discs.

What are you talking about? Ten Commandments are on two blu-rays, split at the intermission.
post #459 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup, totally understand. I'd rather see overkill in this particular instance than another botched job.
post #460 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyW View Post

What are you talking about? Ten Commandments are on two blu-rays, split at the intermission.

Wait... It is!!?? My bad!

EDIT: Original FAIL post edited. Sorry for the confusion.
post #461 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

At slickdeals where the wbshop sale was posted (25% and 20% off deals have expired), there are many who complained about having to swap the disc for Extended Edition movie. Reality is if WB chooses to release Ext Ed on single disc per movie, there will also be complains.

What WB should do is when they are ready to release the Ext Ed trilogy as individual movies, they should use a lower bitrate to compress the movies tighter to single disc per movie, and also keep the 2-disc per movie trilogy in the market. That way, those who don't want to swap disc during the movie can choose to buy the single-disc movie with lower quality. With individual movie usually sells for higher price than the cost per movie in the trilogy set, that should cover the cost of re-authoring the movie to single-disc. But will WB willing to put extra efforts in trying to satisfying different types of buyers?

I doubt any studio would do this. Anyone who wants the extended version on Blu-ray is going to buy this, split on two discs or not.

post #462 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone remembers this TE and EE seamless branching edition on DVD? Maybe WB will triple-dip with seamless branching TE and EE edition on Blu-ray:

http://www.amazon.com/Rings-Trilogy-...086981&sr=1-11
post #463 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
wow, I've never heard of that before.
post #464 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

2 Disks.. Nooooooo!!!!!

Best Regards
KvE

Hurray for two disks per film.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #465 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone remembers this TE and EE seamless branching edition on DVD? Maybe WB will triple-dip with seamless branching TE and EE edition on Blu-ray:

http://www.amazon.com/Rings-Trilogy-...086981&sr=1-11

Yep, got 'em on my shelf. And I'll bet cash money that the discs with the Costa Botes documentaries are the exact same ones that are in the Blu-ray set. So ****ing lazy of Warners, but what can you do?
post #466 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfdmvsenya View Post

best regards
kve

hurray for two disks per film. :d

+1

Frank

post #467 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Yep, got 'em on my shelf. And I'll bet cash money that the discs with the Costa Botes documentaries are the exact same ones that are in the Blu-ray set. So ****ing lazy of Warners, but what can you do?

From the EE Blu-ray description, all the Bonus/Special Features on the 9 DVD discs are recycled from the DVD editions.

Compared to Pirates of Caribbean 1 on Blu-ray, the 2nd disc contains the same 4GB of SD bonus materials from the DVD edition but Disney put it on Blu-ray disc anyway. WB went the cheap route by recycling the same DVD discs on the Blu-ray edition.

Here's a question. At what point when the movie studio mixes Blu-ray and DVD discs in the movie set before it can't be called "Blu-ray edition" anymore? Just the movie on BD is enough or total number of discs format? With LOTR EE, it's obvious that as long the movie is on BD, the entire set can be called "Blu-ray Edition".
post #468 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

Part of the reason they went with a DI is because of the unreliable NZ weather. They didn't grade the hell out of everything just because they wanted to, but it enabled them to keep shooting in certain conditions with the knowledge that they could match it all up later.

I know, but I feel they went a bit too far and a significant degree of a genuinely organic look and feel was diminished as a result. Many of the scenes/locations were deliberately cast in certain color palettes. Maybe that's exactly what they wanted, but IMO it's a bit too much.
post #469 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

Here's a question. At what point when the movie studio mixes Blu-ray and DVD discs in the movie set before it can't be called "Blu-ray edition" anymore? Just the movie on BD is enough or total number of discs format? With LOTR EE, it's obvious that as long the movie is on BD, the entire set can be called "Blu-ray Edition".

If the films are on BD then its a BD edition, the 'special features' and whatever other crap they cram into the package is irrelevant.
post #470 of 5576 Old 03-25-2011, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

If the films are on BD then its a BD edition, the 'special features' and whatever other crap they cram into the package is irrelevant.

I disagree. Insofar as the extras are concerned, this should be called the "Half-Assed Blu-ray + DVD Edition." The jury is still out on the picture and sound quality of the films themselves.
post #471 of 5576 Old 03-26-2011, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

I disagree. Insofar as the extras are concerned, this should be called the "Half-Assed Blu-ray + DVD Edition." The jury is still out on the picture and sound quality of the films themselves.

Extras are irrelevant fluff that most people (myself included) don't give a crap about. If the film is on BD then its a BD release, period.
post #472 of 5576 Old 03-26-2011, 02:23 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

I disagree. The first were half, so these should at least be 3/4- or maybe even Full-assed.

Jeff
post #473 of 5576 Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirus23 View Post

Extras are irrelevant fluff that most people (myself included) don't give a crap about. If the film is on BD then its a BD release, period.

In the case of the extras which were included with the LOTR EE DVDs, you could not be more wrong. Many movies come with fluff extras. What the LOTR EE DVDs came with was mind-blowingly comprehensive and exhaustive. I cannot think of any single movie or trilogy release with amazing extras like the LOTR EE DVDs except Blade Runner - The Final Cut, which had a making-of documentary longer than the movie itself.
post #474 of 5576 Old 03-26-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 366
How about we just say one man's fluff is another man's interesting extras and leave it at that?
post #475 of 5576 Old 03-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nah, just reduce the sound from HD sound. I don't have an HD amp anyway. Most Blu Rays sound horrible compared with DVD.

Genius is an insult to my intelligence!

post #476 of 5576 Old 03-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Most Blu Rays sound horrible compared with DVD.

Are you saying that DVD sounds better or did you mix that up?
post #477 of 5576 Old 03-26-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't go there Mike. You'll regret it.
post #478 of 5576 Old 03-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'm ready to get Pincho'd.

I've prepared myself this time.
post #479 of 5576 Old 03-26-2011, 02:33 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Don't go there Mike. You'll regret it.

This thread now has the potential to be better than any movie from the last 5 years.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #480 of 5576 Old 03-26-2011, 02:57 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

Are you saying that DVD sounds better or did you mix that up?

uh oh spaghettios
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page